Beginner Team Chat Board

Options

Replies

• MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    tj1376 wrote: »
    Just remember that strength training doesn't have to involve weights. Its can be as simple as pushups, crunches, chair dips, shadow boxing, yoga, fire hydrants - all great strength exercises that do not have to have weights. I find cleaning my bathtub to be great strength training, I wake up the next day sore in places I didn't know I could be sore. :o

Be creative and find things you will like doing...repeatedly!!!!! :D

This is actually very helpful. I have tried incorporating some strength training this week to prepare or at least know what I'm getting myself into. I did some squats and lunges plus some upper body with light weights. My legs are SO SORE! LOL. I'm fully aware pain is good. It means I'm doing something right! So I'll keep at it!

Thanks for giving ideas to us newbies!
  • MsTiffamee
    Options
    CindyB97 wrote: »
    I was going to wait until I hit my goal weight to start my strength training, but this is such a fun idea I will start early. I'm sure the scale will stall, but at least I'll be getting in better shape regardless. I have never done a challenge like this before, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

I completely agree with this! :)

• orangeboo
    orangeboo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Team! I am new to challenges and to MFP in general. I thought i saw the requirements that beginners do 70 minutes of cardio, but i cant find where i saw it. I am seriously new to all of this, to be honest. So far, my research and learning has been focused on nutrition and eating in general. I have that pretty much figured out, so now its fitness time! Any suggestions, books to read, blogs to check, or documentaries to watch let me know! I have 68 pounds to go before i reach my goal...
    I have both walking dead compendiums and i am certainly glad to see the show starting to get closer to the comics. My husband and i are comic nerds... so there is that.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Cindyinpg wrote: »
    You'll just log them on the Score sheet thread. The captains may decide to keep track of group totals on Google docs or on some sort of excel sheet but that's all. We're trying to keep the accounting part as easy as possible for everyone.

Thank you! That is easy! Looking forward to this challenge. And to the new season of TWD!

BTW, we live near where it's all filmed and did a little self-guided tour this summer of some of the filming locations. Fun! It was really cool to find the Terminus set, it all looks the same (except the word Terminus on the building). They are also filming back in the same place where they filmed Woodbury (though not in the downtown area, so it won't really be Woodbury again), and it's something to do with a compound and it's in the comic book. I haven't read it but all the people there who read it and saw the set were jumping up and down with excitement. I can't wait!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Good morning Beginner Team! Today is the official first day of the challenge. The challenge won't be posted until morning, but as I mentioned before, we're going to start light with a minimum of 70 minutes of cardio and 40 strength this week and of course you will also get points for keeping within your calorie goals. And there will also be character related tasks based on the show posted with the challenge in the morning.

However, there will be no punishment exercises until next week when we announce our first winning team. There was an overall winning team last season who were promised a special secret power to be revealed this season. That team was Carol and the power will be revealed in the morning on the challenge board and will benefit all the returning members who were on team Carol last season.

So, enjoy the show tonight everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving to any fellow Canadians. I am doing my turkey today so you should see lots of turkey related meals in my diary for the next three or four days.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    does anyone use zombie run app? its pretty awesome and helps you stay motivated. Looking forward to the show tonight and starting this challenge. good luck!
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    does anyone use zombie run app? its pretty awesome and helps you stay motivated. Looking forward to the show tonight and starting this challenge. good luck!

I use it. So fun!
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love the Zombie Run app too.

Question about staying within our calorie goals. How do you define that? If I go over one day, I tend to take it easy the next day. So it would look bad if you just look at one day, but maybe for the week I'm fine. Is there a margin of error or do we have to be exact? Also, how do we report the calorie goals? Or are you just going to look at our diaries?

• smileyng
    smileyng Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm excited about this. I've been on MFP off and on for a few years. Tonight I was looking for ideas to keep me steady and accountable. Then I stumbled on this challenge. I'm competitive and hate to lose games/challenges and I love The Walking Dead, so this seemed perfect.

I'm 39 years old, married with 3 kids (ages 13, 16 and 18). I have at least 75 lbs to lose to be at the edge of the healthy range. While my diet isn't by any means perfect, my biggest problem is not moving enough. Desk job, too much TV, yada yada yada.

So I'm ready to get going and kick some Zombie butt!
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    CindyB97 wrote: »
    I love the Zombie Run app too.

Question about staying within our calorie goals. How do you define that? If I go over one day, I tend to take it easy the next day. So it would look bad if you just look at one day, but maybe for the week I'm fine. Is there a margin of error or do we have to be exact? Also, how do we report the calorie goals? Or are you just going to look at our diaries?

Just look at your weekly average when you are reporting whether you met your goals. Many people have a rest day or high days, low days... do intermittent fasting or what have you. So, on Saturdays, before Midnight Central just let us know on the Scoreboard thread whether you met your goal.
  • orangeboo
    orangeboo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am looking forward to this!! I need motivation and encouragement to get myself moving. Hopefully, I can do this right and earn our team some points... although I am sure this is why they call us beginners. :) if I miss anything, please feel free to call me on out! Have a blessed week everyone!
  • julebg79
    julebg79 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Just watched the first episode! I'm sitting here wondering what they will come up with for my character challenge. I have a few ideas, but looking forward to the unveiling tomorrow!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Very excited to get started! I hit my own highest ever recorded step count yesterday with a day of fall hiking followed by corn mazes and pumpkin picking. I was all set to spend some heavy calories on a big treat after dinner, but there's something about TWD episodes that kills my appetite, lol.
  • MsTiffamee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was so excited to see the premiere last night! Kudos to to Team Carol! She was awesome on last nights episode!

Am I the only person anxiously awaiting the weekly challenge ::bites fingernails:: LOL
  • MsTiffamee
    Options
    Who is the group leader for the beginner team?
  • Cindyinpg
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MsTiffamee wrote: »
    Who is the group leader for the beginner team?
    tj1376

• LouLouBeans
    Options
    Woohoo! I'm so excited~
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    First - last nights episode was AMAZING!
    Second - I am so excited to begin this challenge!
    Third - As team Daryl I need to connect with members from team Carol, how do I know who that is?
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    First - last nights episode was AMAZING!
    Second - I am so excited to begin this challenge!
    Third - As team Daryl I need to connect with members from team Carol, how do I know who that is?
    Luckily there are lots of active Carols on all three teams. Pick one or two by looking them up on the Sign Up Sheet and just introduce yourself on their team's thread.