Introductions

Options

Replies

• msolson81
    msolson81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm Melissa and I grew up near Stillwater. I currently live in Hugo. I got started using MFP on my iPhone and love the app for tracking my activity and food.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa!
  • gsfreeman2
    gsfreeman2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Greetings MFP'ers! My name is Greg, I am originally from Edina and now live in Rosemount. Almost two years ago I was in the worst shape of my life with 45 rapidly coming up ahead of me. I was completely sedentary and enjoyed eating FAR too much. I knew I had to make a change, and quickly! but how?

I was fortunate in that I was able to hire a personal trainer named Hamish Ganga, the owner of Forte Fitness (now Minnie Fitness). He weighed me, and the reality of being 280 lbs sunk in. He gave me an eating plan and a food journal. Since my penmanship stinks and I'm usually closer to a computer than I was to my journal, I quickly found MFP, and adapted it to meet my goals.

6 months later, through learning, re-learning, making mistakes, and finding small victories, I had lost 70 lbs! This was the promise Hamish had made to me (if i did my part) and I was ecstatic.

I then switched from one-on-one training to bootcamp (still through the same gym) and classes at Lifetime (I'm generally at Eagan and Lakeville, so say hi if you go there!) My weight stalled out through the summer of 2012... a combination of too much Minnesota summer events causing sloppy eating combined with my body wanting to lose size instead of pounds, but after the first of the year, I really poured it on I cracked 200 for the first time since 1986 ... and on my 46th birthday this May, I weighed in at 179 lbs -- a total loss of 101 pounds -- all through modifications in eating and movement.

I've settled in at a weight that is more like 190, but I am so much happier and healthier at this weight than where I was two years ago. I've been able to give up three medications (blood sugar, gout prevention/uric acid suppression and acid reflux prevention) completely, convert my prescription Vitamin D to OTC D, and halve my beta blocker and blood pressure medication. Careful eating and exercise have become a lifestyle and not something foreigh.

By the way, I'm no superhuman -- I grew up about the most unathletic person ever. So, YOU CAN DO THIS... it just takes the right mindset and never, ever giving up.

I'm always open to sharing what worked for me and what didn't and I'm also happy to make new friends here on MFP, on Fitocracy, and even in real life.

By the way, you can see my weight loss progression here: http://bit.ly/1akl1ZA

Thanks for reading this and I hope to connect with some of you here!

Greg
  • MonsonD60
    MonsonD60 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Diane
    I have live in Big Lake for the last 27yrs , grew up in Blaine, class of 1979.
    I have been as much as 100 lbs over weight, but thanks to a RNY surgery in 2002, i know go up and down about 25 pounds.
    Love and own 3 horses that I ride or drive. Would love to meet more folks like me.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Too bad recents posts do not run first.
    Woodbury is our winter address, two Harbors in the summer.
  • cindyst1
    cindyst1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think I posted under a different account (deleted) so reintroduce. I am a transplant from Spokane, WA (yes my heart is still in WA) living in Lake Benton. Going on two years here.
    Cindy
  • Emar11
    Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone. I'm Erin. I currently reside in the Southeast Metro. I have lost about 50lbs, most of that was before joining MFP. I'm about halfway to my goal, and trying to keep up my motivation.
  • nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey follow MN'ers.

I am Nate, living in Grand Rapids. I have been a runner my whole life, but trying to add get strong and do other activities now.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Nate! Someone at least a little closer to my neck of the woods (I'm in Cloquet).
  • nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was hoping there would be of few northern MN people that belonged to the group.
  • rachelrkane
    rachelrkane Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello- New to the group. Mom of 2 young ones, crazy busy life, and now making sure to have time to focus on me- and get healthy! I am overweight, but instead of pounds to loose I am trying to focus on how I feel as I make transitions into healthier eating habits and working out. Looking for new friends to motivate me along the way, and always down for meeting up for outdoor walking. I live in St. Paul.:flowerforyou:
  • karifonstad
    karifonstad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself. I'm from St. Paul/WBL, transplanted from Wisconsin. I have two kiddos ages 5 and 2. I live with an autoimmune disorder called Sjogren's Syndrome that creates lots of challenges to being active, so I'm on this site for support and encouragement! I'm working on eating whole foods cooked at home. Thanks for starting this group!:drinker:
  • lago24
    Options
    I'm John and I live and work in St. Paul. Two kids 4 and 6. I am going to start tracking food and exercise. I have started the T25 Focus and the planking challenge.
    "It's Go time!" Haha.
  • skinnyokie67
    Options
    Hi new to group I am originally from Park Rapids MN but I live in Oklahoma now. I really miss MN. But not so much this year with your brutal winter.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi Diane!! I am originally from Big Lake (Class of 2006 :)) It's nice to see a fellow BL'er. I am currently living in Bloomington. :)
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Not sure if I've posted in here before but I just thought I'd (re)introduce myself! :) My name is Lisa and I am 26, originally from Big Lake but have been living in Bloomington for the past 7 years. (and I love it!) I have a 3 year old daughter and a husband (married 5 1/2 Years!!) and have been trying to clean up my diet and get active again.

7 years ago I lost a bunch of weight working at a weight loss camp as a counselor but gained it all back when I came home and then another 20 pounds... I'm not too surprised because they pretty much starved those poor kids and made everyone workout from 7am to 7pm... no one could possibly keep up with that regimen once they've returned home. After that I got pregnant with my daughter and gained a whopping 70 pounds!!! Since I've had my daughter I'm down 50 lbs but I only count 15 of those because those are the ones I worked for. I have a long long way to go and if anyone else out there needs a friend or some help getting motivating or if you want to help get me motivated ;) just add me. :) I love new friends.
  • msleevang
    Options
    Hi Pals!

I'm Lee from St. Paul. Just joined 40 or so days ago but I have logged in every single day without fail. I try to eat about 1100 calories daily and exercise at least 30 minutes on my treadmill if not more. I am registered for the Run or Dye this Spring and look forward to participating in many more similar events.

My health and weight loss journey is new and fresh but it is definitely an rejuvenating reaction resulting from a conglomeration of many months of passiveness, procrastination, denial and maybe even some avoidance. I have no more energy for excuses and despite being a full-time consultant, single parent, part-time grad student and small business owner, I am determined to make time for ME and put myself and my health first.

I would love to connect with others in the cities both online and offline to gain motivation and support. Please add me :-)
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm from New Brighton, but I currently live in Delano and work in St. Paul. And yes, the commute is terrible! :tongue:

Here's a little bit about me and my fitness journey:
    SW: 172 on 2/17/2011
    LW: 126 on 1/25/2012
    CW: 134 on 3/9/2014 (today)
    GW: 128 - maintain and tone

I'm around 5 ft 2 in. I have more or less maintained a 40 lb loss, with some fluctuations. My current goal is to lose a few lbs, then focus on maintaining and toning :smile:
  • jpfly
    jpfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I live in the Minneapolis area Downtown/Uptown. I love biking and hiking and hanging out at the lakes.. Send a friend request!

Jen
  • DeeMN6
    DeeMN6 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello all! I'm in Burnsville and looking for a workout buddy! Please add me!