Introductions

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Duluth is looking nice! St. Olaf is beautiful as always, but I do miss the fall colors.

http://www.stolaf.edu/cameras/chimes/
    http://www.stolaf.edu/cameras/eastquad/
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Megan, I grew up in Rosemount. I moved around for a few years and now have been in South St Paul for the last 6 years.

I started running this year and have totally fallen in love with it. I am terrified of what I am gonna do when the snow finally comes. Any other runners who can offer me some tips? How late into the season do you run outside? I am going to do it for as long as I can take it!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I grew up in St. Paul and then lived in Minneapolis during my 20s. My husband and I just moved to San Francisco in June for his work. It's lovely out here but I do miss home!!!
  • crystalAN85
    crystalAN85 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, a Minnesotan group. Love it! Thanks Apryl for the invite or I probably would have been oblivious. :tongue:

I'm Crystal, single mommy to my lil girl. I grew up in St. Louis Park and currently live in Montrose - tiny town near Delano/Watertown/Buffalo. But I work in Richfield and spend a lot of time in Apple Valley with my best friend or in St. Cloud at my dad's. I travel a lot, haha. :happy:

I am not looking forward to the snow. I'm a complete freeze-baby and you'd never know I was a native Minnesotan, lol.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Megan, I grew up in Rosemount. I moved around for a few years and now have been in South St Paul for the last 6 years.

I started running this year and have totally fallen in love with it. I am terrified of what I am gonna do when the snow finally comes. Any other runners who can offer me some tips? How late into the season do you run outside? I am going to do it for as long as I can take it!

I do nearly all my running out in the sticks on gravel roads and narrow shouldered county roads where I live, I heard that there are strap on cleats that are designed for running, I was going to either find a set of those, or add studs to an older pair of running shoes. and wear smart wool socks. other than that, I guess I will take it as it comes. I started Running in June and I need to train all winter because I plan on Running 30 miles in May.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Oooooh, a Minnesotan group. Love it! Thanks Apryl for the invite or I probably would have been oblivious. :tongue:

I'm Crystal, single mommy to my lil girl. I grew up in St. Louis Park and currently live in Montrose - tiny town near Delano/Watertown/Buffalo. But I work in Richfield and spend a lot of time in Apple Valley with my best friend or in St. Cloud at my dad's. I travel a lot, haha. :happy:

I am not looking forward to the snow. I'm a complete freeze-baby and you'd never know I was a native Minnesotan, lol.

I'm turning into a freeze-baby. Losing weight makes me cold!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm from up near Anoka but I am down in Winona now :)
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm turning into a freeze-baby. Losing weight makes me cold!
    [/quote]

this^^

I never used to get cold, now my fingers and toes get numb at 65 degrees and Im wearing fleece or sweatshirts inside all day.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    this^^

I never used to get cold, now my fingers and toes get numb at 65 degrees and Im wearing fleece or sweatshirts inside all day.
    LOL! This was me all the time last year even when I still had the extras weight.. I can only imagine how much worse it's going to be this winter. Hahaha!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Hey there everyone! I am in Burnsville now, originally from the St. Francis/East Bethel area.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

I grew up in Coon Rapids, lived in Burnsville for a while and am settled (for now) in Uptown Minneapolis
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    How late into the season do you run outside? I am going to do it for as long as I can take it!

I do nearly all my running out in the sticks on gravel roads and narrow shouldered county roads where I live, I heard that there are strap on cleats that are designed for running, I was going to either find a set of those, or add studs to an older pair of running shoes. and wear smart wool socks. other than that, I guess I will take it as it comes. I started Running in June and I need to train all winter because I plan on Running 30 miles in May.
    [/quote]
    I ran outside all through last winter. I didn't get any special shoes (I use a minimalist shoe and concentrate on having a fore/mid-foot strike). I found that I was actually quite stable and that I was far more likely to feel unstable while walking than running (perhaps because walking is heel-first?). I took it slow on icy patches and wore layers, obviously, but being one of the only people out for a run on a crisp snowy morning really made me feel invincible (as opposed to running in hot weather, which just makes me feel slow...).
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Amanda and I lived in MN for my entire life, Faribault, Hastings, Northfield (St. Olaf) Burnsville, and finally Rosemount, where I thought I'd spend the rest of my life... until my hubby's work moved us to Bismarck, ND. I'd like to think that I am still MN nice so here I am!
    I think we get the weather here a day before you... so I'll warn you when the snow falls!
  • Jorra
    Options
    Hello! My name is Amanda and I lived in MN for my entire life, Faribault, Hastings, Northfield (St. Olaf) Burnsville, and finally Rosemount, where I thought I'd spend the rest of my life... until my hubby's work moved us to Bismarck, ND. I'd like to think that I am still MN nice so here I am!
    I think we get the weather here a day before you... so I'll warn you when the snow falls!

YAY!! Oles are always welcome here. :wink:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from California, but my husband is from Warroad (yes he did play hockey. Yes, he knows Marvins, and Christians, and several other Olympians). The furthest north I lived is Owatonna. The furthest south he's lived is Blooming Prairie (15 miles south of Owatonna). Sort of a miracle we met. I started the Boys & Girls Club in Blooming Prairie (pop <2000). He volunteered because he worked at one at UMD when he was in school there.

I didn't want to move to Minnesota at first (long story), but as soon as I got here, I felt comfortable and at home. I came from Arkansas where I was more or less stuck, so truthfully, there was no way Minnesota wouldn't have been an improvement. For his (husband at the time,. not the Warroad chap) work we moved away, but came back when we could.

I don't have a Blizzard of 1991 story--I was living in Miami. I haven't ice fished yet. BUT, I cross country ski, make snowmen, say "holy buckets" (trying really hard to stop with my real swearing). I will go to all the state parks (halfway through) and have seen an agate in the wild, a Showy Lady Slipper and a loon. And a walleye. I feel very Minnesotan, and my family elsewhere notices it. I'm so glad to raise my kids Minnesotan.

I'm also running. Ran yesterday, hope to run one day every week through winter. I biffed it on my treadmill this weekend, and find that I'm still a little scared of the dumb thing, so any advice and support are appreciated. (I haves me the technical stuff and the coats and all, just the moral support).

I work in a prison as a therapist, used to work at the Security Hospital (MI&D folks) and at the Sex Offender programs in St. Peter. I love my interesting, subdued, peaceful Minnesota life.

edited to add: I meant to say, after I noticed how comfortable Minnesota made me, and I felt like these were "my people", I learned my grandpa lived in Albert Lea and Mahnomen at various points in his boyhood, that my Great Great Grandfather had some unknown thing to do with founding St. Olaf. And that Great Great Grandfather farmed about 20 miles from where we moved, is buried in a beautiful churchyard outside of Northfield, and had a MAJOR feud between his family and the Quies. Even though I've lived in 7 different states or more, I SERIOUSLY belong right here.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    715073_532.jpg
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Lived in southern Minnesota most of my life minus 5 years following my ex around the country while he was active duty. Minnesota is by far the best place to live. Never ready for the snow, but it comes with the territory!
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    Hello! Born and raised in Northwestern Wisconsin (Go Pack!) and now live in Prior Lake, MN.

It is that time of year where I will start asking myself why I live in MN since I hate the snow. :sad:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hello! Born and raised in Northwestern Wisconsin (Go Pack!) and now live in Prior Lake, MN.

It is that time of year where I will start asking myself why I live in MN since I hate the snow. :sad:

I don't think that any Packer Backers can be allowed here. THERE SHOULD BE limits...............moderator??????

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................................
  • Jorra
    Options

I don't think that any Packer Backers can be allowed here. THERE SHOULD BE limits...............moderator??????

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................................

I think I'm gonna have to allow it. It wouldn't be Minnesota Nice to reject the Wisconsinites. They have great cheese.

What we can allow is a football thread where you can discuss all about how the Vikings are better. :wink: