Introductions

Options

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

I think I'm gonna have to allow it. It wouldn't be Minnesota Nice to reject the Wisconsinites. They have great cheese.

What we can allow is a football thread where you can discuss all about how the Vikings are better. :wink:

I'll get right on that if it is ever true. ;)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Okay, then. Living right across A BRIDGE from Sconny is difficult enough............we should not have to put up with any PACKER ANTICS in a Minnesota Group!!!!

:sad: :sad: :yawn: :yawn: :sad:
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm from Apple Valley originally and now live in Rochester. Just started running this summer and am going through withdrawal since the cold set in. Can't wait to start up my gym membership and watch the snow fly while I run in toasty warmness. :)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I grew up in Brooklyn Center, went to college in St. Peter and moved to Brooklyn Park after that. I met my husband while visiting a friend in Detroit Lakes over a 4th of July weekend. He was from Fargo. After long distance dating for some time, I couldn't talk him in to moving to the big city so I moved to Fargo. I've been here for 22 years now but Minnesota will always be my home. Luckily we're right on the border and just an hour's drive from lakes country. :)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hello - I am from Texas/Oklahoma, moved here 14 years ago lived in NE Minny to start and about 8 years ago moved to the west Montrose, close to Buffalo/Delano....I still hate winter BUT love to ski/sled and do fun things in the snow and have an 8 and 10 year old boys who love it also so helps me get out and enjoy!!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Your story is comparable to mine, I grew up in California, took a solo road trip when I was 21 and while in Minnesota, I met my Wife. I went back to california and sold my bussiness and moved to Minnesota. This was in 2003.

I belong in Minnesota, I feel a connection with nearly everybody ( and I love spam and 3m products :-P)

I'm originally from California, but my husband is from Warroad (yes he did play hockey. Yes, he knows Marvins, and Christians, and several other Olympians). The furthest north I lived is Owatonna. The furthest south he's lived is Blooming Prairie (15 miles south of Owatonna). Sort of a miracle we met. I started the Boys & Girls Club in Blooming Prairie (pop <2000). He volunteered because he worked at one at UMD when he was in school there.

I didn't want to move to Minnesota at first (long story), but as soon as I got here, I felt comfortable and at home. I came from Arkansas where I was more or less stuck, so truthfully, there was no way Minnesota wouldn't have been an improvement. For his (husband at the time,. not the Warroad chap) work we moved away, but came back when we could.

I don't have a Blizzard of 1991 story--I was living in Miami. I haven't ice fished yet. BUT, I cross country ski, make snowmen, say "holy buckets" (trying really hard to stop with my real swearing). I will go to all the state parks (halfway through) and have seen an agate in the wild, a Showy Lady Slipper and a loon. And a walleye. I feel very Minnesotan, and my family elsewhere notices it. I'm so glad to raise my kids Minnesotan.

I'm also running. Ran yesterday, hope to run one day every week through winter. I biffed it on my treadmill this weekend, and find that I'm still a little scared of the dumb thing, so any advice and support are appreciated. (I haves me the technical stuff and the coats and all, just the moral support).

I work in a prison as a therapist, used to work at the Security Hospital (MI&D folks) and at the Sex Offender programs in St. Peter. I love my interesting, subdued, peaceful Minnesota life.

edited to add: I meant to say, after I noticed how comfortable Minnesota made me, and I felt like these were "my people", I learned my grandpa lived in Albert Lea and Mahnomen at various points in his boyhood, that my Great Great Grandfather had some unknown thing to do with founding St. Olaf. And that Great Great Grandfather farmed about 20 miles from where we moved, is buried in a beautiful churchyard outside of Northfield, and had a MAJOR feud between his family and the Quies. Even though I've lived in 7 different states or more, I SERIOUSLY belong right here.
  • Veggie_Lo
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was born in Wisconsin but have been living in Minnesota for the last 4.5 years and I love it. I live in the Twin Cities and have even started saying "ya know?" and have had vegetarian tater tot hot dish (it exists!)

Anyone run a lot here? I am getting into it but am a bit of a baby when running outside in the cold. I'm trying to get better but could use some tips.
  • Pollywog39
    Options
    The Hot Dish comment made me remember that I went to a fabulously fun play last weekend "How to Talk Minnesotan".
    It was a musical........with accolades to the Hot Dish, the Minnesota Salad (that lime jello/pineapple/cool whip/marshmallow concoction), and the things we say.

YOU BET!

Funny stuff. See the youtube video (this wasn't the troupe who performed it in Duluth, but the songs and stuff are the same :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDO1VJwSzo
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The Hot Dish comment made me remember that I went to a fabulously fun play last weekend "How to Talk Minnesotan".
    It was a musical........with accolades to the Hot Dish, the Minnesota Salad (that lime jello/pineapple/cool whip/marshmallow concoction), and the things we say.

YOU BET!

Funny stuff. See the youtube video (this wasn't the troupe who performed it in Duluth, but the songs and stuff are the same :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDO1VJwSzo

I'm going to Prairie Home Companion in a week and a half. Jealous? :wink:
  • Pollywog39
    Options
    Yes, Jorra, I think I am!!!

Have fun :laugh: :laugh:
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

My parents took me to one of the live shows when I was a kid. I have been hooked on Garrison Keillor ever since. :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

My parents took me to one of the live shows when I was a kid. I have been hooked on Garrison Keillor ever since. :)
    I was an intern for the show many moons ago. Now I can't really stand listening to Keillor.... I'm a bad Minnesotan. But in a similar vein, my mom just sent me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GTu14Gros
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    *Waves to everyone from Maple Grove!* Very cool to see a group of Minnesotans :)

I grew up in Central Wisconsin so I'm still a die hard Packer fan -- but I don't hate the Vikings (unless they beat the Packers) :)

Health related, I'm a LifeTime Fitness addicted that can't stop going to Zumba, Soul Groove, Cardio Kickboxing, Step and Spin classes! I also walk in the Susan G Komen 3-Day (60 mile walk) which is an amazing event.
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Anyone run a lot here? I am getting into it but am a bit of a baby when running outside in the cold. I'm trying to get better but could use some tips.

I'm not sure what aspect of winter running you would like to know more about, but if your concern is staying comfortable in the cold, here's a general guideline of what layers to wear at different temperature ranges. All garments should be of the moisture wicking type:

40 to 50 degrees - 1 upper-body layer, 1 lower-body layer, gloves (optional)
    10 to 30 degrees - 2 upper-body layers, 1 lower-body layer, hat, mittens
    -20 to 0 degrees - 3 upper-body layers, 2 lower-body layers, gloves under mittens, headband and hat
    This doesn't take windchill into account, so on windy days, dress a little warmer. If you feel a little chilly during the first mile, you should feel 'just right' by the second.

A pair of ice cleats or Yaktraxx that slip over your running shoes can be really helpful when the pavement becomes slippery. These can be found at running stores, and places like REI and Gander Mountain.

If you just can't miss your run when the roads are covered with wet, sloppy snow, a second pair of running shoes that are made of water repellent material are a good idea if you can afford them. However, they're of little use when the muck is up to one's ankles.

Hopefully, I haven't gone down the entirely wrong track here, and you find some of this information useful.

Good luck!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I moved from Oregon to Nevis, MN in April. It's in the north woods. I miss Oregon but MN has grown on me and I'm thinking about sticking around.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, a Minnesotan group. Love it! Thanks Apryl for the invite or I probably would have been oblivious. :tongue:

I'm Crystal, single mommy to my lil girl. I grew up in St. Louis Park and currently live in Montrose - tiny town near Delano/Watertown/Buffalo. But I work in Richfield and spend a lot of time in Apple Valley with my best friend or in St. Cloud at my dad's. I travel a lot, haha. :happy:

I am not looking forward to the snow. I'm a complete freeze-baby and you'd never know I was a native Minnesotan, lol.

My aunt has a cleaning business out of Montrose, and another aunt lives in Delano, and a cousin lives in Buffulo. And i have another aunt that has a restaurant in Rockford! Lots of family from down that way.
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi i am Carrie , I live in Eagan but i grew up in Brooklyn Park , Maple grove. I also have lived in Coon Rapids , St Louis Park, Brooklyn center, north and south Mpls, Bloomington and burnsville.
    Anyone want to add me as a friend please feel free
  • mrsjrwest
    mrsjrwest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm from Alexandria, was born in Faribault, graduated high school in Rochester. Other than that I have lived in TX, KS, and MO. I love Minnesota and am looking forward to winter. I'd love some accountability and support that isn't just "don't worry - you'll do better."
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'm from Alexandria, was born in Faribault, graduated high school in Rochester. Other than that I have lived in TX, KS, and MO. I love Minnesota and am looking forward to winter. I'd love some accountability and support that isn't just "don't worry - you'll do better."

Let's hope we get some winter, then! Seriously, where is it?
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    I'm Amanda. I live up north on "da range". It has been snowing on and off since 2 pm today and I have to admit, I'm kinda digging it! I'm glad there is a MN group.