Introductions!

Options
SabrinaJL
SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
They go here. Pretty handy, huh?

I'm Sabrina. I'm a 34 year old Navy wife and mom of a teenager. She'll be 18 in Feb, which makes me kind of sad. I've been knitting for about 5 1/2 years. Been trying to figure out crochet for about 4. I started taking a spinning class in January and decided my reward for losing 50 lbs would be a spinning wheel. Now that I've lost 50 lbs, I'm kinda thinking I don't need another hobby that keeps me sitting on my fat butt.

Replies

• skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Lyndsay and I've been crocheting for a little over a year. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I've made myself a plain scarf and am working on a baby blanket for a friend. I'm hoping to branch out to more complicated things when I have more time. :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    *giggle* love it. . This is the next kind of group I wanted to start. . you beat me. . yay. . .. I'm Jade, I am an avid knitter and crocheter as it is my business. .I also craft jewelry.

Right now I am working up scarves and then perhaps some new beanies. :smile:

EDIT: I am a 40 year old SAHM with an 11 year old daughter.
  • humanskin
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Valerie. I've been crocheting off and on since I was little. It's my stress management program. =)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Yay for groups! I'm Fran and I've been crocheting for about 8 years and knitting for about 6-7 years. I love doing Fair Isle (especially hats!) Right now I should be working on all the Christmas knitting I have in my queue but I just seem to keep on finding new things to knit for myself! lol I am married for 20 years and have four kids, three of the older ones knit and/or crochet and the youngest wants to learn. I'm also on Ravelry under the same screen name and keep my project file pretty up to do (although I need to photograph and post pics for several of my latest projects.)

We're going to our tiny little town's Christmas tree lighting on Thanksgiving weekend and they always have a Christmas hat "competition" (everybody gets something!) We're working on a few hats for that right now. I charted out a man being chased by a bear that I'm anxious to get started on. :D
  • lightinurlife
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been crocheting since I was about 8 and started knitting about 2 years ago. :)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm Becky, 35, been crocheting for a while, and I have mixed interest in Knitting, just can't seem to stick with it. I can follow crochet patterns easier, and it's quicker for me, so I've stuck with it. Nice to meet you all! :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm dawn, sahm to 2 boys (8 and 10). i started knitting 3 years ago. i have made several hats, gloves and scarves, a felted bag, a sweater, a tank top, an afghan, and lots of socks. i like doing socks the best; there is instant gratification. :) right now, i am knitting 2 christmas stockings (for the boys), a sweater, a pair of socks and a cabled hat.
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm Tammy. I am 43, married with 3 children and work for an insurance agency. I started crocheting as a teenager and have been addicted since then. I also quilt and do cross stitch. I never could get the hang of knitting but i do use the looms. Right now i am working on a crocheted afghan for my neice, a needlepoint for my mother and a quilt for me. Nice to meet everyone!
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I'm Nicole, I'm 23 and I just got married on October 15th. I learned how to crochet (the second time) during the late nights of my freshman year at college. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was 8, but all I had the patience for was to learn how to make a chain :-P

I usually stick to scarves, blankets and hats, but I'm ready to branch out. You can only make so many scarves in your life before you get bored and frankly.....blankets take FOREVER. I'm working on Christmas presents right now (I usually only crochet in the winter); making a sweater for my cousin's baby. I hope it doesn't turn out weird. I have a hard time reading patterns, and I am still learning all of the ins and outs of crocheting.

I'm looking to lose 100 pounds total....13 gone so far. I would like to lose the weight by September of 2012, but I am flexible as I know that weight loss is a journey and not a race :-)
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    I can follow crochet patterns easier, and it's quicker for me, so I've stuck with it. Nice to meet you all! :)

I'm the opposite. Knitting patterns make sense to me (usually). Crochet, not so much.
  • Tiffysinsanity
    Tiffysinsanity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! My name is Tiffany. I'm a 24 year old stay at home mom and Navy wife. I have 5 year old daughter and an 11 month old son. I've only been knitting for like 2 years. I actually think I've completed more projects in the last 2 months that I have in the whole time since I've started. lol
  • orcoast71
    orcoast71 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am Jodi. I love to knit. I have no kids, just a dog and a cat. I have been knitting for about 6 years now. I live on the beautiful Oregon Coast.
  • houzkat
    Options
    Hi I'm Kathleen and I absolutely LOVE knitting! I'm 26 and happily married to the greatest guy who told me he wants to have a baby a few months ago (think of all the adorable baby things I could knit. EEK!) and I realized that I was so out of shape it wasn't a good idea. So here I am trying to get in shape so I can ruin it with pregnancies (Ha!). I think my ultimate happy goal would be to be able to actually afford enough yarn to make a sweater for myself instead of limiting myself to one size fits all accessories.
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Welcome all!

houzkat, I was actually the skinniest I ever was when I was 3 months pregnant. Most of my teen years I weighed in the 170s. When I got pregnant, I couldn't keep anything down and I got to 150. I don't recommend losing weight that way though. :laugh:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Sharon and I haven't crocheted since I was a kid, but just recently started up again. I mostly crochet newborn photography sets, infant hats, and themed hats (sock monkeys, pigs, etc.).
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    I love your user name, Sharon. It actually made me lol.
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey all! My name is Lauren and I've been knitting for about 10 years and crocheting since I was little and my Grandmother taught me, although I don't do very much crocheting right now.

I have been trying to lose weight recently but in the past couple of weeks I've been struggling with motivation so I guess the groups came right on time for me!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!
    I'm Dawn aka IMYarnCrazee (I am Yarn Crazy) =]
    I have been crocheting for about 3 or 4 years and I dabble in knitting. (my fingertips hurt when I knit)
    I've been told that I probably keep my stitches too tight.
    I also enjoy various other crafts as well.
    I currently have an afghan, a scarf, a baby afghan, a pet afghan & a pet bed in my queue. I've recently finished a bright hunter orange beanie for my husband for hunting season.

I've had weight problems since high school. I was 168 lbs. my senior year... I wasn't "fat" but I did have a bit of a belly.
    After graduating, gradually slowing down my physical activity and being in a bad (first) marriage, I gained A LOT of weight.
    I'm now married to a wonderful man & have 2 great kids. In June of this year, I was finally sick of the way I looked & tired of the lack of physical activity.
    I heard about MFP through a weight loss group on FB & saw that people were having great results. So I figured I'd give it a try. =]
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Looks like I've found my group! :-)

My name is Jennifer and I am a 37 year old stay-at-home mom in Western Colorado. I am also a professional crochet designer (www.jaybirddesigns.com).

I'm currently working on the end of my weight loss/fitness goals. Having lost around 30 lbs, I am now focusing on loosing body fat. For exercise, I do mixed martial arts and walk my Greyhound, Cash.

I crochet mostly, do knit occassionally, and am trying to stay away from spinning because I don't need another hobby! Also, in January, I will probably become a home-schooling mom too!

Happy to meet you all!
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hello :happy: I'm Kacy, I'm 24 years old and I live near Chattanooga. My fiance and I have been together for 4 years now, and we're engaged to be married in May. Yay! :love: We have a little girl who is 6 and in first grade. I've been crocheting since I was 14, and have just recently branched out from scarves and afghans to other projects like hats, booties, diaper covers and cocoons. I CAN knit, I'm just not very good at it and projects seem to build soooo slowly compared to crochet, maybe just because I'm so much better at it. I need practice at knitting!

Nice to meet everyone! :drinker: