Introductions!

Options

Replies

• scrapmonkey
    scrapmonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm Leslie and I've been knitting off and on since 1999. I once knew how to crochet (back in high school), but haven't been able to re-learn it since. I'm 43, married, but no kids (just dogs who hate to wear clothes). I am an accountant by trade, but my hobbies, besides knitting, include scrapbooking (both paper and digital), reading and walking (planning to do my second half marathon in May if I can get my foot fixed soon) and recently, Zentangling.
    I have well over 100 pounds to lose, so this will be a long journey for me. I lost 20 pounds last year, but gained most of it back the last 2 months because I tore a muscle in my foot and couldn't walk or exercise. I have one knit tank top project that I have had unfinished on the needles that I started 60 pounds ago, so I plan on finishing it should I lose that weight. In the meantime, I need to finish the many projects sitting on needles right now (3 blankets, a sweater for husband, a couple pairs of socks, etc.). I am also on ravelry, but haven't been there in ages.
    Looking forward to talking with others on this journey!
  • carriehoot
    carriehoot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Carrie. I'm 33 years old and have been crocheting since I was a little girl. My younger cousin taught me basic knitting over the Christmas holiday and I've knit 2 dishcloths so far. It takes much longer than crochet but I'm digging it now that I've gotten my rhythm down.

So nice to join a common interest group and nice to meet you all :)
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Amy, and I've been a yarnaholic for 2 years now...
    lol
    My friend, who is also here, got me into it.
    I like to crochet hats, scarves, phone cases, etc. I've even made a couple dog sweaters and a baby blanket.
    Most of the stuff I do is by sight alone. I generally don't follow a pattern.. occassionally I do, but I prefer to look at something and then figure it out. :D
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Welcome, scrapmonkey, carriehoot and Bysshe!
  • emberin
    emberin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    H! I'm Erin and have been knitting and crocheting since I was 8. I had put it aside growing up, but I picked up the habit again about 6 years ago. I work part time to support my knitting habit and can be found on Rav as Eem.

So, how many calories do you burn knitting or spinning? :flowerforyou:
  • swvaughn
    Options
    Hi! I'm Stacey. I'm 45 (today!) and I work full-time. I want to lose 25-35 pounds. I learned to crochet as a little girl and have had several projects at a time going on since then! I taught myself to knit a couple of years ago.

15124829.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • raisydaisy
    raisydaisy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Rae, 33 married with two boys (15 &12), I just started knitting in November of last year and I love it. I always watched people knitting and wished I could, so I finally went and got some yarn and needles and I haven't stopped since. It is a great distracter for me. Plus, if I am knitting I am not eating. Yay!
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    He everyone. My name is LuAnn and I've been knitting for quite a while. Took a break from it for a number of years but an back at it. I'll be quitting my job soon to be with my husband who is currently in Colorado so I will have all sorts of time to feed my passion.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Bridgette - I've been knitting and crocheting for a few years although have not done any in the past year or so. I've been working full time and I have a toddler at home plus trying to fit in workout time. After next week though I will be a SAHM and I am looking forward to picking up the needles again. :bigsmile: I'm looking forward to learning new things as I am not very good. Can't do much more than simple stuff right now; I've made quite a few baby blankets! :bigsmile:
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    Hi! I'm Emily and I have been knitting for 2 years this Feb. I learned to crochet when I was little so now I like doing some of both. And for Christmas I got a spinning wheel and have been having a blast making my own yarn!! I'm also on Rav and a member of Nerd Wars. :happy:
    In early Jan. I went to the Dr for my yearly and was shocked at how much I weighed. The Dr told me about this site and I signed up the next day! It's been 3 weeks and I have lost 16lbs. This has been a real life changer and I couldn't be happier!
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Im Terra, 40 year old Wife and mother of 2 daughters (almost 15 and 5 respectively) I work at a local hospital, and go to school (trying to become a Doctor) and I have been crocheting for about 16 years self taught. I can only make blankets and washcloths. I am learning how to make a hat, and I swear it keeps looking like a candy dish. LOL :bigsmile:

I want to learn how to knit, as well as it is a great source of stress relief for me.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hello
    So glad I found this group,
    Here is a bit about me:
    I was on my first diet at 8 years of age, and it's been a lifelong battle that I have never been able to win. I own (hehe) weight watchers , although I did lose 54lbs. on it about 34 yrs. ago...*sigh*. BUT somehow it found me again. I joined TOPS last January and haven't really lost anything just stayed the same. So one day I saw this site on a friends post in FB, so now here I am. I am married have 3 children and 4 grandchildren. I drove bus for 18 years..I do love to cook and use all the recipes from skinnytaste.com they are so good..also love to do ceramics and crochet. Since last April we have a 40ft. 2 bedroom trailer I stay at all summer, so will have to look into phone app. I live in Ontario, Canada and have been crocheting all my life and since I am left handed I find crocheting much easier then knitting , I can knit but it's not fun for me.I also do ceramics been doing them since 1977, i had a show (at my friends instance) and gee it paid for a 1 week cruise for me...currently making a large eagle and cabbage patch baby boy night light for a friends grandchild. I really am looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing patterns and ideas
    Judway
  • whatshewants
    whatshewants Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 27 from NJ. Been knitting for a few years. I laughed out loud when I read the description of this group because it's so true! Looking forward to getting to know people here.
  • rachelbrown100
    Options
    Very cool group! I'm 26, from Boston. I've been knitting for a few years, mostly hats, scarves, shawls, and gloves. I've just begun my very first sweater as a gift for my brother. (Very intimidated by this project!). Also I can't wait to get back in shape, I've been letting things slide since this past summer. Too many sedentary activities and holiday foods are totally ruining my health!
  • vnmw121212
    vnmw121212 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Victoria and I'm from detroit. I knit and crochet..tho I wouldn't say I do either very well..lol I would like to lose around 100lbs and when I am working with my hands I'm not thinking about anything else :)
  • Makaio14
    Makaio14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm Fawn and I've been knitting for just over a year. Once I'm done with a few pending projects I'd like to learn to crochet. I'm on Ravelry also (Makaio14). My friend just got me into MyFitnessPal a couple weeks ago and I'm totally thrilled to start eating right, working out, and losing some weight! I love to do crafts so I tend to sit for long periods of time. This site is a good motivator to get in shape and still have time to do my crafts.
    BTW, I googled it and I burn 32 calories an hour while knitting ;) Not the same as running or zumba but hey I still count it!

16419163.png
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Hi I'm Vinnie, I enjoy knitting. I've only known it for two years, and I still struggle with making anything that isn't socks. (I find them much easier than for example scarves, which I've managed to knit wrongly twice now. Never wrongly knitted a sock)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new peeps!

Vinnie, that's interesting because socks drive me crazy. I always manage to screw it up somehow.
  • cesmith5
    Options
    Hi - I used to knit when I was younger - took it up again 12 months ago as a stress buster and found I enjoyed it. At least - I enjoy knitting, I don't enjoy the finished article. Everything I've made ends up 2 sizes too big even though I check the tension at the start. I've now started a jumper knitting up 2 sizes smaller - if it ends up too small I'll just slim into it
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    Hii, I'm a knitter. I'm also crochet-challenged. I have a hard time getting past one line, if I can even remember now how to do one line!

Looking to feel better about myself, I haven't really assigned a number of pounds lost to that notion :)