Options

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Welcome JustiL and psychwardmascot!
  • SafetyPolice14
    Options
    Hello, I'm Alix 30 and recently married. I lost 20 lbs before the wedding and have since gained 10 back. In the evenings I knit while my husband crochets. It's wonderful to be married to someone who lets my buy as much yarn as I want! And it's very handy to have someone else help with the Christmas gifts.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Hi everyone,i'm jessica. I'm 29 and have a little girl named abby. She loves yarn as much as me, i can't wait to teach her to knit and crochet. She always comes up to me and asks for a yarn ball when i am crafting. She cracks me up. I want to lose weight for me. I gained a good 10 lbs after being married and another 10 crafting and eating. I've started to be more active and less crafty but that is okay. I don't need to finish a project in a day. I am goldmoonjd on ravelry as well so you can add me here and there!
  • ESgal
    ESgal Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am Holli, and have been using the myfitnesspal app on my phone off and on.... needs to be more ON. :) I am a full-time working mom (12 yr old son), a dental assistant for a very busy practice, a fiance, and lover of fiber.

I have been knitting for about 10 years, and want to improve my skills. I cannot crochet, but it is going to be something I learn this year. I lost a good amount of weight about 4yrs ago, and have put about 25 lbs back on. Time to get it off. Exercise and sleeping are a big help to me... know what I need to do. Hope we can be blessings to one another on our journeys. :)
  • Rldent
    Rldent Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi I'm Becky (mekare9601 on Rav). I'm fairly new to my fitness pal. I'm 30 years old with 2 young boys and a husband. We have a small and zoo's worth of pets including dogs, cats, turtles, and hermit crabs. We live out in the middle of no where which is where we much prefer to be. A few years in the city and surrounding suburbs and we ran back to the peace and quite as soon as we could. I started knitting about 3 years ago (I think) when I was laid off from a job. I knew I needed something to keep me busy or I'd go crazy. It worked with the side effect of driving my husband crazy with my new found yarn addiction. I picked up crochet when I found a pattern I wanted to make my sister and couldn't figure out how to knit it and make it look the same. My grandmother tried teaching me when I was little and I never took it to heart. Now she's gone I wish she had been the one to teach me but at least I can still feel close to her when I pick up the hooks. I tend to make little things that don't require lots of skill because I really like to use knit and crochet as a way to unwind at the end of a day but I have tried picking more ambitious projects for the new year with the hopes of upping my skill set. I also want to make at least one or two things a month for the oncology unit at our local hospital. I just need to get on that for this month!
  • Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Melody, and I've been knitting for about 5 years and crocheting for almost 3. I think the most complicated thing I've made so far is a hat for a baby and some fingerless gloves. I keep telling myself I'll learn something more complicated eventually. :)

Currently working on a baby blanket for a friend, an amigurimi dragon for my husband, and an afghan for my mother. In that order, since there are time limits on the first one. hehe

I really wish I could crochet while on a treadmill! That would make this getting in fit thing much easier!
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah here. I am going to knit vicariously through the rest of you for a bit. I over did during the holidays and now have tendonitis in my left elbow and forearm. I have been knitting off an on since I was about 7. I really got back into about 5 years ago. I am in love with Jane Austen Knits (magazine) from Interweave. I recently (3 months ago) started teaching myself lace knitting. My biggest accomplishment prior to injury was a pair of fingerless glove in 6 hours (might have been a contributing factor to the aforementioned tendonitis) Once I am able to knit again I plan to learn how to knit right handed, so I can switch off hands.
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Welcome all new people! Sorry for the lack of reply. I totally slacked over the holidays. lol

Sisternight, I have tendonitis issues too. My doc told me not to knit so much at once. Also, I found this on pinterest so I try to stop every 20-30 minutes and move my hands/wrists around. http://www.freshstitches.com/wrist-exercises-knitters-crocheters-easy/
    I really wish I could crochet while on a treadmill! That would make this getting in fit thing much easier!

I told my husband I wanted one of those recumbent bikes so I could knit while I work out. :laugh:
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I definitely crochet on the recumbent bike... or did, when I used it more :laugh: !! Time to start doing that again...
  • ranbrook
    ranbrook Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm Anne and I live in Niagara ,Ontario Canada...I've been knitting and crocheting for a few years but mostly easy things. I recently started my first Fair Isle sweater . Hopefully my knitting will keep me out of the fridge at night.....I tend to graze all evening unless I'm busy with something interesting.
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Welcome, Anne! How is the sweater coming along? I have trouble with fair isle because I'm a really tight knitter.
  • marafish
    marafish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Marilyn, I recently joined MFP and have been exploring the Groups. I have been knitting and crocheting for over 5 decades, (started when I was 6 years old). Recently completed projects are socks and an afghan with Celtic style cables for a couple who had a Celtic theme for their wedding. Does anyone else in this group suffer from SABLE (Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy)? Besides losing weight this year, I plan to lose some of that stash; I am not going to buy more yarn. I just started working on a sweater jacket kit from KnitPicks which I bought during one of their sales a while back.
  • cblkel
    cblkel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to learn how to crochet forever. I have learned a few stitiches, but have not made anything yet. I am working on a pot holder right now. If I can get that finished it will be a miracle. I also looked at knitting. However, since I am having so much trouble with one needle I thought twice about doing something with two needles. LOL
  • laurenloveslife
    laurenloveslife Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name's Lauren and I've been crocheting for around 16 years (My mom started me when I was 6--I was a tad bit of a handful so she would have me make chains from one end of the house to the other to keep me occupied!) I also began teaching myself to knit when I was 12, so I've been doing that for 10 years. Currently I've been on a hat kick...all of my friends keep making requests! I also love them because they keep my hands occupied and away from the cookie jar! If anyone has a Ravelry and wants to be friends, my name on there is LaurenElisabeth! :)
  • Kimikaze79
    Kimikaze79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Kim, I'm 33yo and live in Calgary Ab, Can. I'm a wife, a mom and a step-mom. I also work evenings and weekends in Customer Service. I learned to crochet when I was 12 and now do it as a home business. I take orders and pretty much make anything people ask for. I like small projects though, as I tend to have a bit of ADD so I need to do things that I can finish in one or two sittings. Because of this I usually have about 5 projects on the go at all times.

Happy "Yarning" as my 5yo would say :) And good luck on all of your weight loss journeys!
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Does anyone else in this group suffer from SABLE (Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy)?

lol I dunno about that, but I definitely have quite a lot of yarn. I could knit for several years without buying any more. But I probably won't. I like buying yarn. :laugh:

cblkel, I'm not very good at the crochet and videos on YouTube really help me. If you're really interested in knitting, www.knittinghelp.com is a great resource.

Welcome to Kim and Lauren too! My Ravelry name is SabrinaJL. I like to keep it simple.
  • Eeyore_Chick
    Eeyore_Chick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kim. I'm 31, I've been knitting & crocheting for a few years now & just got a spinning wheel! That counts as exercise, right? Is anyone else here REALLY good at acquiring UFO's?

I'm forsaken4965 on Ravelry
  • shawls1
    shawls1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Julie, and I've been knitting for....gosh! 40 years now!

I love to do color work -- Fair Isle and Dale of Norway.

My weight -- well, that's gotten out of control, particularly in the last couple years. I'm on sabbatical from teaching this semester, so I'm taking advantage of a low-stress semester to get my health back together.

And enjoying some knitting time, too!

J.
  • davali20012002
    Options
    Hi All!!! I'm Sue. Been knitting since I was 8 and I also crochet! Love making blankets/throws, scarves, ponchos and wraps!!

If knitting was exercise, I'd be a supermodel!!! Working hard to get healthy!!!

Sue
    Fort Lauderdale, FL & Fairfield, CT
  • katesinternet
    katesinternet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm Kate and I've been knitting consistently for about 2 years now. I crochet a little bit. I was doing MFP by myself and let it slide. I'm hoping to stay more accountable to myself this time around. My end goal is about 20 pounds from where I am now (25 from where I started) and I would love to have the confidence to knit a complete cardigan for myself.

If I can accomplish both of those this year, I will be very happy. :flowerforyou: