• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kate, Sue, Julie and Kim! :smile:
  • healthycrone
    healthycrone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HI there,

My mom taught me to knit as a kid, but I only made straight things in garter stitch, never learned to purl. I learned to crochet in high school "home economics" class. Do they even still have that? I just crocheted for years and then about 15 years ago decided to knit a sweater. That's me! No buildup, just full out. I worked though and I haven't looked back.

Right now I have a lovely alpaca sweater that's in time out because I want to do spring things! I like to design my own stuff, and am working on a sort of tunic in a pretty cotton, with a Channel Islands cast on, and a border called "Madeira Leaf Border" from one of Barbara Walker's books. I have wanted to make something with it ever since I first saw it 12 years ago!

I have swatched it (actually made the swatch big enough to serve as the start of a sleeve) and am going to do the measuring and charting as soon as possible so I can cast on the body and get going!

Nice to have this group!
  • BinaryCortex
    Options
    Hi, I am a brocheter (I'm a guy). My brother got me on to this site, and to my surprise there is in fact a knit / crochet group here. Win! I tried crocheting once before, but couldn't get in to it. Too boring. Granted I had no patterns I wanted to do. Fast forward 5 years, and I see a viking helmet and beard on reddit. I MUST HAVE THIS! So I found the beard pattern, and purchaced the helmet pattern. Now i have sold 2 more helmets, and am in the home stretch to finish and sell another full helmet and beard set. With the money from that, I'm going to buy some steel hooks and start making lace necklaces, and perhaps matching earrings, I haven't decided yet. I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen. Here you go, here is me in my helmet and beard. http://i.imgur.com/ErN6rr2.jpg
  • maggiekcm
    maggiekcm Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi I'm Maggie! I love Yarn and Yarn Accessories. I was SO excited to see a knitting group on here! I love to knit and spin. My spinning wheel is my baby. I can do a bit of crochet, but knitting is way easier for me. I've been knitting for about 5 years and spinning for about 3. Both are so theraputic for me, I always have something in my hands to work on. Or at least in my purse. I also make beaded bracelets and next week I'll be learning the Chan Luu style of beaded bracelets and I can't wait.

I just got started on MFP and am slowly making some little changes as I go. If I tried to do a radical change I'd give up pretty quick. If anyone has any suggestions on making this transition easier, please let me know. I can use all the help I can get!
  • maggiekcm
    maggiekcm Posts: 8
    Options
    I really wish I could crochet while on a treadmill! That would make this getting in fit thing much easier!

I told my husband I wanted one of those recumbent bikes so I could knit while I work out. :laugh:
    [/quote]

I have a recumbent bike and thats EXACTLY what I do!
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Welcome, Maggie, binarycortex and healthycrone!
  • mrsbeanie58
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Anne and I live in rural Arkansas. I knit a lot when I was in upper elementary and high school, but let it go for a while and started back in earnest in 2007. Right now I'm making a lace shawl to enter into my county and state fairs.

I'm 50 pounds into my desired 150 pound weight loss. Discovered MFP when I got a new Droid phone and was snooping around in the Google Play store. It's really helping me keep track!
  • ArtsyAlexis
    ArtsyAlexis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Alexis :) I'm new to the forums, but not MFP. I've been knitting for about 2 years and crocheting for about 6 months. I live in New Hampshire and have a beautiful job working with children! I look forward to meeting you all!
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Susan :)
    I've been knitting for a little over 3 years and crocheting for almost 3 years. I like to crochet amigurimi and knit scarves/hats and geeky things and do yarn swaps. If any of you are on ravelry I'm sassafraskitty.
    I'm looking to lose about 100 lbs. I'm an on again/off again mfp-er, and hopefully staying on this time. I was on the right track last summer but then sprained my ankle really really bad last autumn. Ankle is healed and I have no excuse!
  • lulu4thewin
    Options
    Hi, I'm a retired (for health reasons) attorney, and mother to 5 children (39, 32, 29, 24, 17 yo), and grandma to 5 children (15, 14, 7, 4, 15mo). I started out knitting, then began crocheting, and have yet to resume knitting. ;)

I have been called Queen of the Small projects--possibly because I have yet to make an afghan (we don't seem to need one). I do enjoy making little things.

I've enjoyed making beards and beard hats in an array of "hair" colors. I made an owl hat and sweater set for my newest granddaughter. I've made little dresses, shawls, hats (including character hats), scarves (including a Beemo character scarf), etc.

I made my own pattern for Christmas stockings last year, and got about half of them done in time. Got to start earlier this year....probably should have started already. ;P ha

I have a thing for making bracelets, cuffs, and armlets. I make a bunch of cowl and cuff sets for friends and family last winter.

I enjoy amigurumi and have made a wide assortment of pieces for gifts over the years. This year I'm working on LOTR and Dr. Who sets, which, like the stockings, will hopefully be done in time for the holidays.

Right now I'm disciplining myself to use up the yarn I have before buying anything else. It's going to be hard. I'm currently crocheting the Julia Wrap (free pattern on Ravelry). I really like it--but it's not being done in the correct yarn--darn that commitment to using up stuff! It needs a finer yarn than I'm using. I do have finer yarn, but not in the right colors....you see how it's going.

Probably should get on those holiday gifts--amigurumi wizards are happy to be made out of worsted scraps--but if I'm going to be strict on my diet, I at least get to follow my whims in crochet. Too bad it doesn't count as exercise.

I'm new to MFP. Please feel free to friend me!
  • 1lindachristine
    1lindachristine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Fitter Knitters and Crocheters,

I am a knitter and a new crocheter, I also enjoy quilting. Most of my knitting has been shawls, scarfs, fingerless gloves, and socks. I am very slow at both knitting and crochet, which can be a problem as I am addicted to yarn. I hope to see some projects from my fellow MFP friends. I am "nitwit" on Ravelry.

I have been married for 31 years (same guy), have a grown daughter and son, and 3 grandchildren that live out of state. My son served 8 years in the Army and is now living close to home which I love. I work full time, hate to clean house, but like a clean house, like flowers in the garden, but not the gardening part. Exercising is not my number 1 goal as you can tell.

I have gained 22 pounds in the last 7 months, so I need to loose that weight again and continue on to my goal. Keeping a journal is one thing that works for me, it reminds me to stay alert of what I put in my body.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm Amber. 33 yo from Cambridge, Ontario :) I took up crochet a year and a half ago as my counselor at the time made me. I started with your basic dishcloths, until a gf of mine said I should get into amigurumi, and I love it! I can also knit although I haven't since I was a teenager.

I love to learn, and up for some good challenges. I really suck at creativity, but am great at technical - so while I can't create my own patterns for the life of me, I am great at executing and following direction.

Can't wait to discuss one of my favourite topics with you all :):)
  • daemonkat
    daemonkat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi group. I'm Katze, a long time fiber enthusiast. I've been knitting for arh... a long time *grin* and taught myself crochet a few years ago. 34 year old retail wage slave from Minnesota. I'd love to figure out a way to work out and knit at the same time.. haven't quite gotten the hang of it without tangles or needle jabs.

I joined up to keep track of my progress with things. Decided to drop weight with my husband, figured I should keep track of what to do so I don't just sit and eat nothing but carrots.

Happy hooking : )
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Welcome all newbies! Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Summer has been super stressful and thrown me off a bit. Time to get back at it. :)
  • LilMissKrissy
    Options
    Oh thank God there's a knitting/crochet group on this site! Truly, we are legion... ;)

My name is Kris, I've been knitting for over 8 years now, and just joined MFP a couple weeks ago. I got married last November, and before I knew it, I'd gained 15 pounds. Now, point of reference: I am 5'0", and like a cat, a couple pounds on me is pretty noticeable. Particularly because none of my skirts or pants fit anymore :P I've also knit some lovely sweaters that I would love to continue wearing, so keeping the weight under control is my goal...and so is finishing up my Christmas knitting in time.
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Welcome, Kris!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey Kris and all, welcome and hi and what's everyone knitting? I'm currently working on socks, a blanket for my nephew (he told me his colors), and a shawlette for a friend who is in chemo. I have loads of holiday knitting to do yet! I always get that way - crunch time and I'm knitting up a storm!!
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    I don't currently have anything on the needles, but in the last 2 weeks I've finished 2 Brambles berets (from knitty.com), a set of washcloths, a shawl and a neckwarmer.
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Rose and new to this group - I have been crocheting and knitting for over 40 years - I like crocheting best and I really enjoy working with cotton thread. I have 2 adult children and 3 dogs (we rescue Vizslas and currently have 2 males). At Christmas time I like to make mittens and Barbie doll clothes for kids in need. I have a really simple and warm pattern for kids mittens that I use to make for my kids including the string that goes into the arms of their coats (you loose less mittens that way). I use to do a lot of afghans but my daughter makes those for the family now. 3 years ago I had a mishap and then gained a lot of weight while getting better so now I need to loose that weight and get healthy again. Glad to meet everyone and hope to get to know all of you better - have a wonderful weekend!
  • GoldwingGrandma
    GoldwingGrandma Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Cindy. I live in sunny Florida, I am retired and knit/crochet are two of my favorite past times. Looking forward to perusing the posts in this group!