Welcome and intros

arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
Please stop in and say hello.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'm Ryan.
    Grew up with a track back ground, sprints & hurdles. Distance running to me was anything longer than a 400 ;-) I did run some 5K's for fun.
    Fast forward 15 years and I've been running rather solidly for about 3 years, finished one marathon and looking forward to my second. I really enjoy trail running and will likely run more trail races in the future.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    I'm Chris
    Runner and now Triathlete. A marathon and an Ironman are in my 2012 future.
    Pretty much anything outdoor floats my boat.
  • I'm Sam. :)

Until a year ago I swam competitively in college, so i trained about 25 hours a week. I've been trying to fill the void where swimming used to be: both in my motivation and in the structure a training schedule gave me...so I decided to run a marathon! Im running it with my twin sister-- we're running it together because it's for breast cancer awareness and our mom's a survivor. Im looking forward to this blog because I have so many questions that Im sure more experienced runners can help with! Looking forward to it!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Momma here, Mommawarrior that is. Real name is Cindy, and I love to run. I am not fast, but I love distance. I hear I should be working on speed, but I much prefer a 13 mile run at 2 and half hours over a 2 mile run in 16 minutes. I have never done things the traditional way, mom says I always had to be different! LOL

Ran my first half in August. Hope to do my first full in 2012 if my leg holds up. I don't enter many actual races as money isn't just falling out of my wallet, but I hope to enter a few more this coming year. Saving up to go to The Leading Ladies' Marathon in Spearfish, South Dakota in August 2012. Donations gladly accepted :tongue:

P.S. I will take any advice I can get.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Hi all, I'm Jon.

I am an adult onset runner. I've logged ~ 17,000 miles in the last 9.5 years. Running fits in well with my obsessive personality and my schedule (as I run in the early mornings when the family is still sleeping).

Over the years, I've learned how to rally on the weekend. I often get home from a 20 miler and have 30 minutes to eat and shower before I have to take my kids wherever it is they need to go (dance class for the most part).

With 24 marathons (actually 23 and one 50K), I'm always on the fence between leaning more toward ultras or running faster marathons (hard to do both). I run mostly on the streets (from my house) any time spent driving somewhere to run is time that I am not running.
  • Hi everyone! Recently lost 50lbs and now looking to achieve another HUGE milestone by running my FIRST marathon in May!
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 635 Member
    Kathy from Canada here, 41 and ran my first marathon last year. Love running, even on the treadmill when I have too. Joined an indoor running track for the winter. Not a speedy runner like some of you. I guess I run in the middle of the pack. My personal best 1/2 is 2:04. Just getting info on triathalon's so that may be in my future, just have to work on my swimming. I too, am looking forward to info and advice from everyone. :)
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 99 Member
    I'm Kate. Haven't run a marathon yet, but did a 1/2 at the beginning of October. Looking to do another 1/2 in the spring and then probably a full in the fall of 2012. I ran a bit when I was in my 20's, but have really gotten interested this past year, when I started running short races (5K to 10K) and doing well in my old, slow, age group. I'm interested in learning other outdoor pursuits, also, as work and family schedule permits. Unlike many of you, I'm an evening and generally solo runner...I use the exercise to calm down after work.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    I'm Patti and I live in Houston, Texas.

The most athletic thing I had done prior to 6 years ago would be drill team/cheerleading. I started walking, then decided I would join a marathon training club, so I joined USA Fit. Within 7 months, I was able to complete the Houston marathon. This was in 2005, and I was 37 years old. I used the Galloway interval running method and finished the marathon by running 5/1 intervals the whole way. If I can run a marathon, anyone can!

Since then, I've run a couple of half marathons, but ended up having a surgery that kept me from running. Since then, I've gained 50lbs. I would LOVE to get back to my running weight and run another marathon!
  • macpatti
    Hi everyone! Recently lost 50lbs and now looking to achieve another HUGE milestone by running my FIRST marathon in May!

Awesome.....you can totally do it!
  • macpatti
    Hi all, I'm Jon.

I am an adult onset runner. I've logged ~ 17,000 miles in the last 9.5 years. Running fits in well with my obsessive personality and my schedule (as I run in the early mornings when the family is still sleeping).

Over the years, I've learned how to rally on the weekend. I often get home from a 20 miler and have 30 minutes to eat and shower before I have to take my kids wherever it is they need to go (dance class for the most part).

With 24 marathons (actually 23 and one 50K), I'm always on the fence between leaning more toward ultras or running faster marathons (hard to do both). I run mostly on the streets (from my house) any time spent driving somewhere to run is time that I am not running.

I am not worthy, and I bow to you.........you're awesome!!!!
  • J3Streeter
    J3Streeter Posts: 17 Member
    I also fall into the "future" marathon runner category. My fiance and I recently ran our first half marathon (10/29/11) and had such a good experience that we decided we want to do a full marathon. We are going to do the Shires of Vermont Marathon on May 20th (and hopefully GoLeanWendy will be there with us). We are building a base right now and will begin the actual marathon training on January 1st and the 20 week program will take us right up to the marathon day. We can't wait. But since we are new to this, any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks for starting this group... just what I was looking for!!!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Hi Im Rachel. I've only been running for a little over a year and i've really gone from hate to love :) I ran two half marathons this year and several shorter races. I am training for my first full in January but really want to get into ultra running with plans for a 50 miler next fall. My husband started running this past summer and got me into runner faster but my true love is nice long slow run ;) Good to meet you all!
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Mary. Training for my first full marathon coming up in march! Nice to meet everyone!
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Hi all,
    I'm Teresa (or Tree to my peeps :smile: )...I grew up in a family with zero interest in physical activity and was one of those bookworm types. Once I got to college I fell in love with rowing/crew and would totally still be doing that if I didn't have a busy job with a commute and two (awesome) kids who have a million activities of their own.

Running was more of a "warm up" activity for me until recent years when I realized that I LOVE going for long runs with my tunes and just the thoughts in my head. I've always been a type A/overachiever personality so running gives me an outlet for that . I have historically NOT been a fast runner but I am working on getting faster. I ran my first marathon this past July in San Francisco and have hopes of doing many more. The next full marathon I am looking at is June 2012...wanted to do one sooner but got sidelined by tendonitis in my ankle so working those kinks out and slowly building back up. Feel free to add me as an MFP peep!
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Cynthia currently training for my first marathon SurfCity USA 2-5-12 (huntington beach, ca). I have done half's before but never a full. I'm scared, nervous, excited, anxious, every emotion in the book!
  • Hi,
    I'm Bri!

Two years ago I volunteered at the Air Force marathon, which inspired me to start running. I ran a 5k, 10k, half, and then this past September ran the Air Force marathon :) It was so awesome!

I think I want to run another marathon next year, however it will be much harder due to my accelerated grad program that I start in January. I would like to run at least another half marathon next year and then after that continue running more races.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hey all! I'm Jana from Joplin, MO. I'm 25, married, an accountant, and have 2 dogs (no kids!).

I definitely fall in to the future marathon group, but I'm getting there. I started running about a year ago and have dropped almost 70 pounds with a combination of running and eating right...and some Zumba and cycling. My first 10K is next Saturday. In 2012 I'll be doing my first half marathon, my first triathlon, and possibly a century bike ride. After all that is under my belt I'm going to select with marathon I want to train for and hope to run it some time in 2013. I'm slow, but I'm still lapping everyone on the couch. I still have another 50 or so pounds to lose, but I'm getting there.
  • Gilliamzoo
    Gilliamzoo Posts: 72 Member
    Hi! I'm Amanda. I don't necessarily consider myself a runner at the moment. I ran cross country for a year in high school (I really only stuck with it because my mom said I had to since I'd made the commitment) but that's about it. Back in September I had the brilliant idea that I wanted to run a marathon, specifically the Colorado Marathon on May 6, 2012. At the time I couldn't run a mile without stopping, but I decided that I had time to train so I registered. I realize its a bit crazy, since I haven't done much else in terms of races. I did the Warrior Dash (which is a 5k) last year but that's about it. So, needless to say I need all the help I can get.
  • katydunham
    katydunham Posts: 10 Member
    Howdy! I'm Katy. I consider myself a runner, although I am lacking consistency since I broke my right 5th metatarsal over the summer. I have run countless 5 and 10Ks, a few half-marathons, and have registered for 2 full marathons this season.

I enjoy running in the morning, but looking for support to gain the consistency I once had. I am glad that I have found this app and site. I would like to connect with other runners to help me stay motivated.

God bless!