Welcome and intros

Options

Replies

• Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Tiffany, and I'm training for my first marathon in March. Training has it's ups and downs, but I love running- so it's all worth it. A friend of mine found your group, and I'm looking forward to being an active member.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Kathy from Canada here, 41 and ran my first marathon last year. Love running, even on the treadmill when I have too. Joined an indoor running track for the winter. Not a speedy runner like some of you. I guess I run in the middle of the pack. My personal best 1/2 is 2:04. Just getting info on triathalon's so that may be in my future, just have to work on my swimming. I too, am looking forward to info and advice from everyone. :)

2:04? That's for a half-marathon, yes, not a marathon? Because 2:04 is close to world record time for 26.2 miles :).
  • bexdc
    Options
    Hi! I'm Angie. 41, mother of three from Overland Park, KS.

Right now I'd call myself a 'past' runner. I've completed four full marathons (Chicago in 2001; San Diego in 2002; Grandma's in 2005 and the Marine Corps in 2010). The last one did me in - I had bad hip problems for the next several months. So, I stopped running and started boxing and doing my elliptical, but running was always my favorite. I've missed it, and am planning to give it another go. I'm hoping to run the Oklahoma City half marathon in late April.

I'm slow. I run an 11:30 mile, but I don't care. I don't run to win the race. I run to get exercise, to 'meditate,' and sometimes achieve a goal. I'm heavier than I want to be right now, and know that running AND eating right will help me get there. Still, I'm a little nervous about it because I don't want my hip issues to come back. Too much time and $$$ at the chiropractor last year. :-)

Hey Angie! Good to see you here on the Marathon board.
  • bexdc
    Options
    I'm coming back from a 2 yrs of lackadaisical running -- this year I'm getting serious again and training to qualify for Boston (cross fingers). My PR is 6 minutes shy of that. I've run 5 marathons, a few marathons, a number of 10Ks and a few 5Ks. I've also raced a couple of 3Ks placing first in women once, so that was fun.

I got back on MFP to lose the last 7-10 pounds to get to race weight and to eat better so I don't bonk while training.
  • beki18
    beki18 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Ya!
    I started running in 2009, I competitively rowed Surf Boats for 10years & when the season finished in 2009, was asked if I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon, I was up for the challenge, i have since run 3 1/2's my best time 1hr 39min, and last year completed my first marathon, was on track to complete in Sub 4hrs but tore my calf muscle in the last 1km and finished in 4hr 4min (still pretty respectable first time out). I will be completing my 2nd marathon this year in July, along with a 5km Warrior Dash and a 1/2 marathon some where in there as well. Love to hear / read other running stories.
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. Looking for good advice and wisdom as I train for a very busy 2012 including two Sprint Triathalons (my first), a Half-Marathon and my first Full Marathon in November. Thanks for the group!
  • Rsespaniak
    Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but was pleased to find a group for marathoners. I have two under my belt (Sugarloaf and Mount Desert Island) and have clearly caught the marathon bug. (I'm blaming my husband, he runs ultras.). Currently trying to figure out which one to do next. I tend to lean more towards small and scenic.

I'm managed to gain weight after both of my marathons, so this time around I'm paying more attention to my diet. I want to balance losing weight with my nutritional needs relative to endurance training.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have ran 2 full marathons and countless 1/2's. After a 2 year absence of "racing" I am back in the game. Ran a 5k last week-end. I am signed up for 2 1/2s and I am thinking I may sign up for the Detroit marathon. It is in October, the course takes you into Canada via the Ambassador bridge and back into the states via the underwater tunnel.
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kelli. I've been an on and off novice runner, always hoping to strive for a marathon. My mother has ran at least 20 marathons including Boston twice so I feel I have a basic understanding of what goes into it. I started running again about a month ago three times a week, and have worked up to 6 miles at a ten minute pace. The marathon I'm planning on running is not until October, but I am hoping to increase speed, maintain/work on endurance, and figure out how to go about training. I plan to follow the Hal Hidgon's training method, but have a few months until I get into that so figured I'd join a marathon group to get advice for pre-training, as well as training. Looking forward to reaching that finish line!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Cathy :) I'm happy to meet so many other runners!

I started running on August 2, 2010 which is the same day I signed up for my first Half Marathon. I figured, "What the hell? I'm young, I should be able to do this, thousands of people do it ever year." And so began an addiction. Ironically enough, I used to hate running as a child and didn't see why any sensible person would actually run on purpose. Who knew I'd end up being a runner?

My first marathon was last October - the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco :) It. Was. Awesome! So awesome in fact, I'm going to try to run it again. I also am running the SF Marathon in July. So excited!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Howdy all. I'm Brad. I've always wanted to run a half and full marathon. This year, I'm finally taking the leap and running my first half marathon.

My first one is on May 6th (Frederick MD), and I'm starting Hal Higdon's Novice 2 program week 1 on Monday. (Doing a week 0 this week).

I'm also registered for the Baltimore Half Marathon in Oct.

Hoping to crack 2:00 for my 2nd race, if not in the first.

Seriously thinking about doing a full marathon next year.
  • hails222
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been running since my freshman year in High School. During college I ran a couple of marathons to help me get back into shape after the infamous freshman 15 (which for me was the freshman 25). However, since my three year old was born I haven’t invested the time needed to train for a big race. I am super excited, this year I plan to run my first half marathon (June 10) and my fourth full marathon (October?). I look forward to hearing tips and encouragement from all of you.
    Blessings,
    Hayley
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am Megan. I realized that I was in this group and never introduced myself. I guess it's better late than never,

I am also an adult-onset runner. I started running in 2010 after losing a significant amount of weight, with the forcing of my personal trainer. Since all of the women in my family on both sides either had knee replacement surgery or need one, I was resistant to running until I felt I was normal weight. I was also always scared of running, as I thought I could not be successful at it. But my trainer put me on the treadmill one day and literally had to force me to run. I ran for 5 minutes without any difficulty and I was in love. Being obsessive by nature, I knew I had to have a goal in running, so I started training for events. First a 10K and then a half marathon. I ran my first marathon in October 2010 at 1:56:56 and I was elated and totally hooked. I ran two more after that and spent most of 2011 training for the Atlanta Marathon. I ran my first marathon on October 30th, 2011 and finished at 3:43:18.

I am currently training for a second marathon. I did not sign up for one yet, but it will most likely be the Publix Georgia Marathon on March 18th. I doubt I will have a PR, as I have unfortunately gained some weight this winter, but I think it will set the tone right for the summer. I want to run another marathon in the fall.

I am looking forward to get to know all of you better in time. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Happy running!
  • adiaz1229
    adiaz1229 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this group. I'm new to MFP and looking for new fitness-motivated friends.

My friend Andrea calls me a reluctant runner, because up until the New Year, I had a hard time owning it, haha. I guess in my mind a "runner" was someone who ran at a certain speed, looked a certain way, or logged X amount of miles.

I ran my first marathon in 2004. I signed up for marathon training on a whim and didn't have much running experience or much of a running base to begin with. So it was no surprise that when I crossed the finished line (injured) I thought, "thank god it's over! I've proven my point. NEVER. AGAIN." And for seven years, it seemed I would never again run another marathon.

Fast forward to February 2011. Again on a whim (I'd just graduated with my masters and was looking for a new personal challenge) I registered for the Chicago marathon. This time I was proactive about staying injury-free and had the most amazing spring and summer training for the race. I joined the Chicago Area Runners Association and made other friends who loved running, and ran Chicago in 4:35 (about 45 minutes faster than my first marathon). I rested for about a week and a half, and used the momentum to train for Carlsbad, which I ran Jan. 22.

I'm registered to run Chicago (marathon #4) again this year. Crossing the finish line is no longer enough. I'm hungry to do better and have a PR goal in mind. I am currently training for a half marathon for May, and another in July.

I can't tell you the moment it happened. When it clicked. Maybe on those solitary early morning runs, when Lake Michigan is smooth as glass, the skyline is purple and the Hancock building's lights twinkle in the reflection of the water; or when I'm gossiping with my running buddies about our week during a Saturday long run; or checking off another planned run from my training schedule...but I see it now. I know it. I AM a runner.

I can't wait to swap stories with all of you!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Dawna, 26 years old, originally from Minnesota, living in Idaho while my husband finishes his undergraduate degree. I work in commercial lending/underwriting. I grew up playing sports- volleyball, basketball, softball. And I loved to run. I never ran more than 3 miles, but once I got into college and was away from playing sports, I started running longer distances-- doing 10Ks and relay races with friends. Once I got married I started running a lot further, and finally decided it was time to dive into the Half Marathon distance. I loved it. I've done 9 half marathons, and I'm running my first full marathon in June. The full marathon scares me, but I'm excited for the challenge. I am still not completely satisfied with my weight-- I've always had a little fluff here and there...but I am not giving up. Ideally I would love to lose 10-15 pounds. My biggest weakness is chocolate anything. Or cinnamon bears.

I look forward to getting ot know more of you! I definitely need some more marathon friends!
  • ironmom3
    ironmom3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi..I'm Lori, I have run 10 marathons, 3 half marathons, 9 half Ironman, 1 full Ironman, and many olympic and sprint tri's. I did the full Iron man in 2010. It was the best experience and I will do again when my kids get older. I trained so much in 2010 that I was just worn out in 2011. I hardly trained but got through all my races. I still had the endurance but no speed so was slow. This year looking to qualify for Boston. This year I have already signed up for 2 half marathons, 2 Olympic tri's, half ironman and the Chicago Marathon. Im not a fast runner. Best marathon was 4.30. For my age I would have to run this years marathon in 3.45 to qualify for Boston. YIKES.. I just go out and run and have never really done any speed workout. Even if I don't qualify this is my year to set some PR's. Already started doing speed work and OMG is it hard. Would love to go back to just trotting along but I already set the goal. Will see what 2012 brings.:smile:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Joni, a 33 yo mum to 3 kids (ages 5,3, and 1). I work full time shifts as a nurse and my fab hubby is a house dad, and an awesome supporter of my running- wouldn't be able to do it without him.

I have never been a runner, or even inclined towards fitness. my idea of fun was going clubbing with my mates. I've always been the overweight kid, and that turned into me being the overweight adult. activity was never really encouraged for me as a child, so was not something i took to naturally as an adult.

One night a few years ago (November 2009 to be exact), me and the hubby had a massive argument. he told me to get out of the house for a bit and take the dog for a walk to let off some steam. I found I was so angry and had all of this excess adrenaline, so I ended up running 1 lamp post and walking 2 and it felt good. and then the dream was born! i started c25k- it took me 2 weeks to build up to running 1 minute!

my first 5k race was on valentines day 2010- i really struggled. later that day i took a pregnancy test. it was positive. running was duly postponed for another 10 months.

I started again in Jan 2011. did c25k all over again. then decided that i wanted to run a half- just one. as a bucket list thing and to prove i could do it. did hal higdon's half training. i'm now up to my 4th half, and i'll be running my first full in april 2012.

it's nice to be addicted to something like this. i quite like it when people raise their eyebrows and don't believe i can do it- i'm still a fatty, but edging ever closer to just being simply 'overweight' as opposed to 'obese' on the BMI! but the goal was never weight loss. the goal is to be fitter, and to show my kids a better lifestyle.

i really look forward to getting my kids involved in running with the little 2k kids dashes that they do at the end of races. that'll be awesome. i just want to get my 1 bucket list marathon out of the way first......
  • iGoAllTheWay262
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm 29, live in Atlanta, no kids and no ball and chain :)

I started running a few years ago. I was extremely unhealthy and going in a downward spiral. I never thought I would be the person that says "If I can do it, anyone can!" But here I am and I'm screaming it out!

With the help of a strong support system, my mp3 player and my New Balances, I lost a little over 100lbs. I didn't really view it as "work" because I fell in love with running. I completed my first 5k in March of 2009 and in February of 2010 I ran my first marathon.

The amount pride and sense of accomplishment was immeasurable when I crossed the finish line. A few days later (when I regained full range of motion) I fell into a bit of a depression. The (awesome) "monster" that had consumed my time and energy for the last 4 months was gone. I struggled with "what now?" I've entertained the idea of an ultra on and off but as much as I love running, I do not love the training schedule and the commitment. I am not a triathlete...no matter how much my triathlete friends try and sell it...those road bikes are scary and dangerous to me. Haha.

I feel like I'm slowly pulling out of that black hole. This site is helping me get back on track with my eating and exercise. I need all of the help I can get!
  • iGoAllTheWay262
    Options
    Hi! I'm Amanda. I don't necessarily consider myself a runner at the moment. I ran cross country for a year in high school (I really only stuck with it because my mom said I had to since I'd made the commitment) but that's about it. Back in September I had the brilliant idea that I wanted to run a marathon, specifically the Colorado Marathon on May 6, 2012. At the time I couldn't run a mile without stopping, but I decided that I had time to train so I registered. I realize its a bit crazy, since I haven't done much else in terms of races. I did the Warrior Dash (which is a 5k) last year but that's about it. So, needless to say I need all the help I can get.

How is your training going?
  • k_bignon
    k_bignon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Krissy and joining my first group here! I am a 30 year old wife and mom living in North Georgia. Been on this site since January with my sister as we encourage each other in our seperate goals! I am running my first 26.2 this weekend!!!! I have been an on and off runner for over 15 years (started with high school cross country). I have completed well over 50 5k and 10ks, 2 half marathons, and 2 sprint triathlons. Would like to find some more runner "friends". I am just here to keep myself in a healthy lifestyle.