What do you train in? What have you trained in?

Replies

• hey guys

I have been training kickboixng in Perth, Australia for aobut three years now and LOVE it. I train 4 to 5 days per week.

Also just started BJJ at our club, one day a week, man that is hard....

Also did TKD for about 3 years when i was younger.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    I currently train in WTF taekwondo and have done so since 2005; however, I have been doing taekwondo since 2003. I started with Song Moo Kwan taekwondo. I am presently a double black stripe and will be testing for my black belt early in the new year. My weight goal is to have reached my weight loss milestone of 170 lbs by my black belt test, and my performance goal is to improve my fighting skill to fight heavyweight senior at the Canadian Nationals in 2013.

I have trained in BJJ, Muay Thai, and Judo before.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    How do you like Muay Thai vs TKD? I'm always curious to hear opinions from other people that have done both.
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    How do you like Muay Thai vs TKD? I'm always curious to hear opinions from other people that have done both.

Honestly, I don't really find them so drastically different from each other. We do all the same techniques (yes, including elbows and knees), we just don't use all of them in competition like you do in Muay Thai. TKD gets a lot of flak for its point fighting, but there's a lot of strategy to it that people who have never done it before don't realize. There is no punching to the head in WTF TKD only because it is too easy to score with it. The same goes for elbows and knees. We aren't trying to kill each other, and there is something to respect in that. Anybody can pummel someone else, but it's truly an art to win a WTF TKD fight at the Olympic level. The difference between Muay Thai and TKD I really think just comes down to taste.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    My TKD experience is fairly limited (community rec center classes, no belts earned), but I didn't find it similar to Muay Thai at all. TKD's stances and hands were much closer to traditional martial arts, and there was no emphasis on dropping bodyweight into techniques - everything was snap-kick this, flick-punch that. It seemed more like the Wing Chun that I've done than Muay Thai. Or the American Kempo.

The MT is more similar to western boxing with the hands... roll the shoulders behind the straight punches, rotate the hips on the round punches, rise into the uppercuts. The kicks I found completely different from TKD... the Muay Thai "whip" action is like twisting your hips and snapping your wrists when hitting a baseball with a bat. Your primary striking surface is even different (shin bone as opposed to heel, blade of foot, ball of foot, etc...).

Like I said, my TKD expereince is limited... still, whenever we get someone new to the school that studied TKD (or most of the karate variants), they are immediately evident from the difference in how they stand and strike.

The UFC is usually a horrible example of form and technique, but the one this weekend had Cung Le vs. Wanderlei Silva (TKD v. MT). I think that fight did a good job of illustrating the differences.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Hello All,

I have been studying in Capoeira Regional for a little over 3 years. I chose Capoeira as a way to try and get into better shape. At the beginning it was brutal! Thought I was going to stroke out in every class! After a couple of years I felt much stronger and started looking for more challenges. As luck would have it, at the same time a new gym opened up literally, right around the corner from my home. It is mainly a boxing gym but the guy who owns it is a 7th Dan Jeet Kune Do. And, he offered classes 2x per week after all the boxers had left. I joined and have been going the 2x per week for a little over 18 months (just passed my Green belt about 2 months ago).
    As far as workouts go, JKD is insane! No forms or katas, everything is combat related! Our light touch sparring requires a cup and a mouth guard :-) Lots of fun though and a great group of guys and girls in the class!
    As far as fitness goes, I started Capoeira at around 275 lbs @ 5'10". I am down to 200lbs with an initial goal of 180 lbs.
    Glad to have found this group!
    Good training one and all!
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Hey Kyle,

verry funny to see you here,
    I take the same capoeira class (saturday morning) with you, when I saw your name I was sure it was you, small world!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Wow, too funny!

I just sent you a friend request!

I did not make the connection! Very cool to cross paths with someone on MFP who I have actually met!

Not sure how often I will be attending the saturday class. I recently started strength/weight training staurdays at Tiger Gym with my JKD Shihan.

Lua has a couple of group rodas planned between now & Xmas. Hope to see you at one of these!

Keep up the good work!

Salve
    Onda
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    I will try to make it to at least a couple of them, starting in january I plan to do wednesday and saturday, my wife also wants to start on mondays.

Salve!
  • Hi, I'm Angela. I'm 19 and have been doing kickboxing (as a whole) for about 3 months. I've always been interested in martial arts and now that I make my own money, I am able to pay for training/gym/lessons :) It started off with Tiger Schulman's kickboxing class (two weeks), but it was ridiculously expensive, and since then I've been doing muay thai. I love it! I eventually want to be in matches, but that will be (sort of) a long way to go. I love muay thai, it's just that when I"m training by myself at the gym, I'm not sure what a good routine to follow is. I usually alternate kicks (2-3x 50 each leg) and do jab-cross-hook-knee combos..but I would love some other ideas!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    I don't have the martial arts pedigree some of you guys have but I do enjoy Taekwondo! I've been doing it for just over three years and am very close to getting my brown belt. I never thought I'd be able to do martial arts of any kind do to finances mostly. A couple of years ago I encouraged my husband to get back into it (he'd done it when he was younger). I wanted him to do it because it's something he enjoys but I also wanted him to sign our oldest up to see if she would like it. We homeschool so the kids don't have an "official" P.E. and I'd noticed our oldest DD was getting very sedentary. So they found a place in our little tiny town (to our surprise!) that was very reasonable. After about three months my husband told me they had family rates and if I wanted to try it we could probably afford to put the whole family in. I decided I'd give it a try to see if I would even like it.

I LOVE IT!! Now, just over three years later I outrank my husband who started before me. :) Mostly because I have a little more time to practice at home and he had a shoulder injury that set him back but it still surprises me. It's so strange to be in the high ranking spot on the days I am but I really, really enjoy doing it. I desperately want to improve my sparring though. I have finally decided that I won't say I'm bad at it anymore but I still need to find ways to improve. Any tips are welcome!
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    For me, I started doing Muay Thai when I were 14 and did it til I were 15 and stopped due to lack of money.

Then I started Krav Maga when I were 17 and have done that for 2 years along with other combat training - did that twice a week on tues, thurs night when classes were available.

I now do Muay Thai once a week - I am unable to do it twice a week due to my other commitment with Rugby Union which is on the other 'training night'
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Does anyone here have any experience with Paul Vunak's RAT Fighting System?

Our assistant police chief introduced me to it the other night... kinda interesting.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    I train in Krav Maga and HaganaH, both of which are pretty much the same thing. HaganaH is just a slightly modified form of Krav. Both are Israeli martial arts and Krav Maga is what the IDF trains in. They're much more self-defense based and less sport fighting based than other martial arts. There's really no competition aspect of it, and most schools don't use a belt system.

I also train in boxing and kickboxing a couple of times a week, mostly to keep up my cardio.
  • scott1981
    scott1981 Posts: 29 Member
    I have my first degree black belt in American Freestyle Karate and American Karate, They are different. I used to compete in the NBL and NASKA back in 2000 and 2001. Then I joined the Army and stopped karate almost altogether. However I am getting back into it and competing around texas in forms and weapons again.
  • I train in Tang Soo Do and have since the late summer of 2010. That profile of me is actually when I achieved my 8th gup/purple belt (9th gup is a white belt) - I was so proud that day :)

I currently am a 3rd gup/red belt and should test again next spring for 2nd. Grandmaster will be coming down in February for the black belt testing - my son will be one of the two being tested this time.

Typically, as long as my work schedule allows, I will attend 1-2 classes (hour long) per day, 4-5 days per week. November and December was a bit too intense with work so I had been unable to attend as often as I like. My karate goals will also be on the front burner again come 2012 if I am to test for my black belt in Feb 2013 which is a huge goal of mine.
  • thebody54
    thebody54 Posts: 3 Member
    My name is Neil Bower, I teach TKD at two Churches in Richmond, Va.. I would love to train in Aikido and Kenpo.
    I trained at Dong's and I'm currently a Black belt candidate, I have a green belt in Shotokan and would love to train also in this art. I have always had a place in my heart for Karate and relay this when I instruct my students.:happy:
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    I train in Tang Soo Do and have since the late summer of 2010. That profile of me is actually when I achieved my 8th gup/purple belt (9th gup is a white belt) - I was so proud that day :)

=] Congratulations! I love it when people achieve something they're proud of and keep a picture of it as a memory! It's an absolutely remarkable feeling!
  • Currently training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai , membership with my martial arts club means I can go to boxing and MMA if I feel like it too.
    Been doing it for several months now.
    Was out of training for 4 years , but before I chucked it I was a green belt in Korean Kempo.

Absoloutely loving the BJJ!
    Training it 3 times a week no Gi and once a week Gi (:
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    I began training in Olympic Taekwondo in July with my 6 year old. We do it as a mom and son thing, but it's a lot of fun! I am shocked at how much of a work out it really is.

We train 3 days a week and I am getting more fit than I have ever been! He's getting the physical therapy he needs (tethered spinal cord release surgery in June '10). He's been going at it since July '10 and I've been going since July '11. We both are green stripe belts, and will be eligible for black belt testing October 2013. Long way to go, but it's all about the journey!