What do you train in? What have you trained in?

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    did some kyukashan back when I was a kid along with some shotokaan but am now doing boxing (lol I know, a totally different thing). I absolutely love boxing though!
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    Alomost 2 years of Krav Maga, MMA, and BJJ. Love all combative sports especially boxing and MMA.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    From Mass myself, and I used to train in Kempo when I was a kid, I have been doing wrestling since the early 90's, and I trained MMA for 3 years, and fought professionally for 2. Our training focused a lot on Mauy Thai, BJJ, Wrestling, and Boxing. After I retired from fighting (getting married haha) I tought the MMA class brefiely at Bishop's Boxing in West Bridgewater, but moved to Quincy, MA in February, and haven't done anything since :o( Going to start looking for good local BJJ classes, because I love grappling, and hopefully hit up some boxing classes at Peter Welches in Southie.
  • Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Past:
    Tae Kwon Do to first degree black belt. Scored a few medals in the junior Olypmpics (total 8 years)

Current:
    -Muay Thai: 5 years
    -BJJ: About 15 hours

I did a bit of the BJJ at the gym I train at, but am far more inclined to do the striking. I don't know what it is but there is nothing like kicking the pads/bag.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    5 years of Muay Thai
    Just started boxing 6 months ago and I love when men come up to me and say "I'm afraid of you". :)
  • CARRERACFT
    Options
    I just joined and figured I would say hi. I have been a fight basically all of my life. Wrestled in School, Boxed for a year or so. Trained TKD for a couple of years. Trained HKD for Couple of years. Been training in (Kodokan) Judo for 22 years now, and have taught on and off for about 18 yrs. I have been teaching consistantly for about 5 years now. Have had other combatives as well which I teach to qualified personnel. Nice to connect with others whom love conbat.
  • jwlav
    jwlav Posts: 31
    Options
    I have started muay thai a couple weeks ago and know what you are talking about... I have never seen my shins change colors like that!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I started boxing in high school,

that led to a gym that taught kickboxing and Kung Fu (I obtained my purple belt)

Kept on kickboxing,

In University I started Kendo and Haidong Gumdo. Continued with Haidong Gumdo (obtained my blue/red split belt)

Started Muay Thai - kept on going back to Muay Thai and currently working on that.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started training in judo when I was in high school for awhile, after college I began Shorin ary karate and Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu. I went as far as 7th kyu. Finally I archived my black belt in Shuri Ryu karate and Okinawan kobudo. I am working toward my 2nd degree as well studying Shuri Te jujitsu.
  • kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I trained in Krav Maga for almost 10 years. Unfortunately, I had to stop because I got too heavy. Now I'm getting in shape doing American boxing. I hope to return to KM after I lose about 30 more pounds. My dream is to become an instructor in KM and the Bas Rutten Fight Systems.
  • mijo32002
    mijo32002 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey everyone,

My dad taught me how to box, and I've trained in TKD for about two years, Wing Chun for a year and a half, Krav Maga for over a year, and Muay Thai for a couple of months. I still doing Krav, and I'm still loving it!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I currently train in WTF taekwondo and have done so since 2005; however, I have been doing taekwondo since 2003. I started with Song Moo Kwan taekwondo. I am presently a double black stripe and will be testing for my black belt early in the new year. My weight goal is to have reached my weight loss milestone of 170 lbs by my black belt test, and my performance goal is to improve my fighting skill to fight heavyweight senior at the Canadian Nationals in 2013.

I have trained in BJJ, Muay Thai, and Judo before.

I'm Dominick, and also train WTF TKD. Been doing it since November 2011, and my 11 yr. old son has been doing it for over a year now. Both of us are going for our green belts next saturday. I've had numerous students, as well as my Master tell me that i should get sparring gear because of my left leg. Supposedly it's the topic of discussion at times at class, and i just might have to go about doing that. :smokin: We also have Combat Hapkido at our school, which looks like a great and effective martial art to partake in. I just wish i could to do both, but financially it's not in the cards.
  • huskeyt2
    huskeyt2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing martial arts for about ten years now. I started in Taekwondo/Kickboxing, moved to Military Combatives when I joined the Army in which I am currently still a member of, Northern Shaolin Kung Fu for another year, and now I am back to Taekwondo full time for the last four years. I teach at a university where I founded, currently the Head Instructor, and the past president of.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have been Doing TKD for about 3 monthes and LOVE it. I will b e sparring in the AOMA Nationals in 10 days, I am hoping there are not too many Heavy weight Yellowbelts over 35...LOL
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi Jo 33 from UK
    Have been training in kickboxing for just over one year now and recently started training mma, absoloutly love sparring with a passion first fight in October so am stepping up training, so excited.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! 26, living in Israel.

I just started krav maga in January and I love it! Hoping to get my yellow belt (the first one after white) soon. I'd really like to dedicate my time to krav maga until I move up a few belt ranks. But afterwards, I think I would want to add in Aikido since it is very different in terms of fighting style and philosophy.
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have been training a little over a year in American Kenpo (a version from Ed Parker). The whole family is involved and the two oldest kids are Black Belt (BB) Candidates :bigsmile: and will take their BB test in October.

I'm doing it mainly for the exercise. I've known for years, that I need to enjoy what I'm doing with others (preferably a sport) and the exercise is the by-product. This works well for me as most of the other sports are now "off-limits" :brokenheart: due to a blown achilles :angry: a few years ago (at least until weight comes off but the risk of injuring the other one is high given my "spare no quarter" attitude on the floor :devil: ).

You need to test demonstrate competency twice for each belt advancement and attendance is factored in. White, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, red, brown (brown for a year to review and demonstrate understanding and competence), and finally black. At least a year of study is required between any BB degrees. BB competency is determined through a board of "Head of Dojos" and will include a master.

Mine and my wife's goal is to be able to be BB at the time our kids are eligible for their 2nd degree BB
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi all! 31 in Maryland!

I trained many years ago in TKD and got my second don Black belt. I've recently signed the whole family up to begin taking again. My kiddos 6 and 8 and my hubby are all Orange belt and my son 4 is a white orange stripe. I had to start all over from the beginning and I've moved three belts a time and I'm currently a brown. Hopefully in August I will test for my Bodan and will be Black belt again soon :) Its a bit frustrating to start all over again, but hey I'm up for the challenge!
  • krommann
    krommann Posts: 6
    Options
    I am a 2nd dan black belt in TKD, I have been training for 5 years, and teaching for 2 years. Prior to this, I was EXTREMELY sedintsry. I have been breaking that bad habit since joining TKD :-)
  • rstoliker
    rstoliker Posts: 65
    Options
    I've taken Combat Hapkido for about 2 years (up to blue belt), moved around a little bit and finally came back home to Albany, NY. I've been taking Judo and Jiu Jitsu (Blue Belt each) for about 3 years now, and for the past few months have incorporated MMA and Kickboxing to my training.