What do you train in? What have you trained in?

Options

Replies

• jamesrmgibson
    jamesrmgibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I live in Somerset, England and I've been doing kickboxing since the run of the year. Fantastic fun and I can feel and see myself getting stronger, fitter and thinner.

Best of all though, I love it! So much fun! I currently train for 90 minutes twice a week and love every minute of it.

I'll start sparring soon, not decided whether or not to start fights in the future, we'll see how sparring goes when I start that.
  • Matt_1974
    Matt_1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I've been using MFP for a whole but just found this forum. I started practicing a mixed form called Maududo about 6 months ago. It's helped me regain my strength and confidence after my thyroid decided to quit working. It's a mix of forms from TKD, Judo, Krav Maga and others.
    I'm an Orange belt rank now working on defense against knife attacks. Also study with the Bo weapon.
    Glad to be on here and hope to learn more from your experiences too.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I box a couple of times a week with the young guys. If I play their game it looks funny. These golden gloves guys will lay a lot of hits on you. I wind up covering up and waiting and then doing clinch work with little pushes & shoves (illegal in amateur stuff but part of pro boxing) and then nailing em hard when they're off balance. I can't go punch for punch with them anymore as I don't have as high anaerobic threshold as I used to. But I am sneaky, and I am evil.

My main thing is Muay Thai. I started Muay Thai in 1979 when I was 16. Over the years I trained in Thailand in a couple of camps. Got busy with career and got inactive and out of shape. (A road warrior job I had was just too much, changing 40 time zones a week so I could never fully recover.) Anyway, I got back into MT again last year. At age 50 I am no longer as fast as I once was, so I have to use a lot of guile and tricks. But, well, a lot of Americans are inexperienced in the clinch (plumb) and I can still eat 'em up with knees. I'm also a very good pad holder and I continue to help guys train for fights.

I also work on weapons. Way back in the day my Muay Thai teacher encouraged me to look into weapons, so I went to Thailand to train in Krabi Krabong as well as to the Phillippines to train Eskrima. I also found some good teachers in the USA (I'm just down the road from Stockton, CA, which is a hotbed for Filipino Martial Arts). I feel fortunate that a couple of the old Manongs took me under their wing and put a lot of time into me. I also served a long apprenticeship in the Filipino Martial Arts during the late 1980s and early 90s. That apprenticeship happened to occur at the State Police Academy, so I made a bunch of friends in law enforcement and got to help them out on their stuff. Oh, and some tournaments as a heavyweight in the 80s. Easy pickins in the U.S., but better in the P.I. However, the judging in the Phillippines got, well, a little biased and frankly, I was more afraid of getting out of the stadium in one piece than I was of my opponent.

I need work on my ground game. I haven't gotten as far as I'd like in Brazilian Jiujitsu due to career interruptions. I'm gonna make that my focus after I get back from a Thai Camp in July. Fortunately, my kids are into it and they're big enough to train with the adults, so it will wind up being a family thing.

My immediate proximal goal is focused on getting in shape to go to a Thai Camp in July where I'll be in there trying to hang with pro fighters. It will be hard, probably beyond what I can do physically so might become a test of spirit and determination. Oh, they're not going to kill me, but what I fear is that they'll treat me as a 'respected elder' and put crutches under my *kitten*. I've got a lot left in me and I'm not ready for that. So, I'm putting in about 20 hours of cardio a week, some of it hard anaerobic training (balls to the wall kettlebell workouts, windsprints, sled dragging and hill climbing in my bike in the Sierra Nevada, etc.) to get ready. I may not be able to ever be truly ready for a Thai Camp at my age, but I'll have lost 90 pounds and will be in the best shape I've been in a decade. So, that'll have to do.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm a Kravist but love all styles ! Looking for new friends to motivate me and just to chat w on the journey

Add me
    Mark
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Judo, Ikkyu (3rd Brown) Would very much like to get in a couple more competitions this year to get my USJA points and test for my Black Belt. Unfortunately my original Judo group dissolved (sensei moved away, kept it alive for over a year but made little personal progress) and then the guy that took over instructing is kind of a ****.

So, I am a white belt all over again in BJJ. Which is actually kind of nice. No expectations and anything I do well is just a bonus! It's also very nice to yet again be a student and have instructors who can maul me, which I really missed at my club and shows me how much more I can learn.
    Plus it's kind of fun to casually rag-doll people in standup... not that I'm a **** and slam people but I get to choose what I throw with and try to do it with perfect form as the BJJ folks have almost no defense on their feet.

Anyway, trying to stay away from the +100Kg weight (220lb) class for Judo as that's the unlimited weight class and nobody likes giving up 100 pounds to their opponent. Would love to get within weight cut distance of 198lbs, which is the next class down from me. I am at 210 now, but tend to put on mass fairly quickly so I am trying to gain speed/strength/etc. while losing mass, and I am already at about 13% bodyfat. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Judo, Ikkyu (3rd Brown) Would very much like to get in a couple more competitions this year to get my USJA points and test for my Black Belt. Unfortunately my original Judo group dissolved (sensei moved away, kept it alive for over a year but made little personal progress) and then the guy that took over instructing is kind of a ****.

So, I am a white belt all over again in BJJ. Which is actually kind of nice. No expectations and anything I do well is just a bonus! It's also very nice to yet again be a student and have instructors who can maul me, which I really missed at my club and shows me how much more I can learn.
    Plus it's kind of fun to casually rag-doll people in standup... not that I'm a **** and slam people but I get to choose what I throw with and try to do it with perfect form as the BJJ folks have almost no defense on their feet.

Anyway, trying to stay away from the +100Kg weight (220lb) class for Judo as that's the unlimited weight class and nobody likes giving up 100 pounds to their opponent. Would love to get within weight cut distance of 198lbs, which is the next class down from me. I am at 210 now, but tend to put on mass fairly quickly so I am trying to gain speed/strength/etc. while losing mass, and I am already at about 13% bodyfat. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Try IF (Intermittent Fasting). I was 215 this time last year, I am 190 now :)
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you can work down to about 10%, that will put you near 203-204 lbs approx. Competitions give +/-1 lb at weigh-ins, so a water-cut will put you within that window for 198 lbs. If your weigh-ins are same-day, you need to be around approx. 8% body fat walking around at 199 lbs.

It sounds like you would are trying to maintain lean mass and lose fat mass to hit that target weight. Well, if you are putting in the training, then proper nutrition will get you the rest of the way. I dont know your specifics, but the way i did it was by calculating calories first. then balancing protein, carbs, and sodium next. general rules: lean grilled or baked meats, fruits and veggies, no processed foods/starches/sugars (which will cover sodium and carbs). everyone is different though, its hard to assess LOL
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi all. Just joined this group. 47 year old single mom of 3 teens from Montreal, Canada. I train in Kyokushin karate and have done so for the past 11 years. Passed my black belt in 2008 and currently training to pass my 2nd Dan in December 2014. Looking forward to seeing your stories and being part of the group! Osu ! :-)
  • Senzalero
    Senzalero Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been training Capoeira for over 5 years now. It was a little over a year that I started training some MMA along with my Capoeira. It is a great workout and an amazing community to be part off. I do it twice a week and the MMA classes at my local gym on Saturdays. I'm not planing to be a fighter in any extent, just want to keep in shape while having fun and learning new things.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I box a couple of times a week with the young guys. If I play their game it looks funny. These golden gloves guys will lay a lot of hits on you. I wind up covering up and waiting and then doing clinch work with little pushes & shoves (illegal in amateur stuff but part of pro boxing) and then nailing em hard when they're off balance. I can't go punch for punch with them anymore as I don't have as high anaerobic threshold as I used to. But I am sneaky, and I am evil.

My main thing is Muay Thai. I started Muay Thai in 1979 when I was 16. Over the years I trained in Thailand in a couple of camps. Got busy with career and got inactive and out of shape. (A road warrior job I had was just too much, changing 40 time zones a week so I could never fully recover.) Anyway, I got back into MT again last year. At age 50 I am no longer as fast as I once was, so I have to use a lot of guile and tricks. But, well, a lot of Americans are inexperienced in the clinch (plumb) and I can still eat 'em up with knees. I'm also a very good pad holder and I continue to help guys train for fights.

I also work on weapons. Way back in the day my Muay Thai teacher encouraged me to look into weapons, so I went to Thailand to train in Krabi Krabong as well as to the Phillippines to train Eskrima. I also found some good teachers in the USA (I'm just down the road from Stockton, CA, which is a hotbed for Filipino Martial Arts). I feel fortunate that a couple of the old Manongs took me under their wing and put a lot of time into me. I also served a long apprenticeship in the Filipino Martial Arts during the late 1980s and early 90s. That apprenticeship happened to occur at the State Police Academy, so I made a bunch of friends in law enforcement and got to help them out on their stuff. Oh, and some tournaments as a heavyweight in the 80s. Easy pickins in the U.S., but better in the P.I. However, the judging in the Phillippines got, well, a little biased and frankly, I was more afraid of getting out of the stadium in one piece than I was of my opponent.

I need work on my ground game. I haven't gotten as far as I'd like in Brazilian Jiujitsu due to career interruptions. I'm gonna make that my focus after I get back from a Thai Camp in July. Fortunately, my kids are into it and they're big enough to train with the adults, so it will wind up being a family thing.

My immediate proximal goal is focused on getting in shape to go to a Thai Camp in July where I'll be in there trying to hang with pro fighters. It will be hard, probably beyond what I can do physically so might become a test of spirit and determination. Oh, they're not going to kill me, but what I fear is that they'll treat me as a 'respected elder' and put crutches under my *kitten*. I've got a lot left in me and I'm not ready for that. So, I'm putting in about 20 hours of cardio a week, some of it hard anaerobic training (balls to the wall kettlebell workouts, windsprints, sled dragging and hill climbing in my bike in the Sierra Nevada, etc.) to get ready. I may not be able to ever be truly ready for a Thai Camp at my age, but I'll have lost 90 pounds and will be in the best shape I've been in a decade. So, that'll have to do.

You have alot of experience under your belt!
    Did you make it to the camp?
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    /snip (Stuff I wrote)

You have alot of experience under your belt!
    Did you make it to the camp?

I am sorry to say that I sustained a tear to the muscles beneath my floating ribs about a week ago while holding Thai pads for one of our fighters. The doctor says I need to be out for two more weeks, maybe three. /grumble At the moment I cannot kick, run, squat, deadlift or do any core intensive work like plumb (Thai clinch knee). I can, however, bicycle, so I'm putting in about 12 hours a week on my bike. Fortunately for me, the Sierra Nevada provide me with all the challenge cardio vascular system can handle.

I think I'll be healed up enough to catch up with Ajarn Sangtiennoi in Los Angeles in late August before he goes back to Thailand. And, well, I'll be back faster and stronger next year.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ahhh damn hey..i'm sure it was dissapointing :(
  • rms922
    rms922 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I study Uechi-ryu karate and Muay Thai as of recently.
  • Alehmer
    Options
    Hi all. Just joined this group. 47 year old single mom of 3 teens from Montreal, Canada. I train in Kyokushin karate and have done so for the past 11 years. Passed my black belt in 2008 and currently training to pass my 2nd Dan in December 2014. Looking forward to seeing your stories and being part of the group! Osu ! :-)

Awesome! KK is no joke, wish the other 95% of Karatekas trained, sparred, and fought like you guys.
    For anyone who isn't aware Kyokushin is a school of Karate that involves honest-to-god sparring and full-contact competition. Go youtube it for yourself.

Kyoksuhin is the first thing I looked for when getting back into martial arts a few years back, no nearby dojos so went into Judo instead, which I now love with all my heart.

Osu!
  • Alehmer
    Options
    If you can work down to about 10%, that will put you near 203-204 lbs approx. Competitions give +/-1 lb at weigh-ins, so a water-cut will put you within that window for 198 lbs. If your weigh-ins are same-day, you need to be around approx. 8% body fat walking around at 199 lbs.

It sounds like you would are trying to maintain lean mass and lose fat mass to hit that target weight. Well, if you are putting in the training, then proper nutrition will get you the rest of the way. I dont know your specifics, but the way i did it was by calculating calories first. then balancing protein, carbs, and sodium next. general rules: lean grilled or baked meats, fruits and veggies, no processed foods/starches/sugars (which will cover sodium and carbs). everyone is different though, its hard to assess LOL

Completely cut all grains and starches, now down to 202 with all strength remaining. Woot! Definitely within distance of the 90kg class for my next competition.

Found a great piece on Intermittent Fasting by my personal nutrition hero John Berardi, which is available to all for free as a very detailed PDF (experimented on himself). Very interesting stuff, have a mind to try it soon.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with everyone's background in this group - maybe a little intimidated, but I enjoy reading about everyone's journey and that is what martial arts is really about. I am currently a 2nd Degree Black Belt in TKD. We study both WTF and ITF forms. I love TKD - it has helped me become a stronger person in all aspects of my life. I love knowing what my body can do and pushing it to do (or try to do) more. It has given me confidence to try new things. My husband and I have been through P90x twice (he did it three times), but I would not have even thought about it let alone had the drive to stay with it without my training in TKD. My family started TKD together and it is a great family activity. My husband is currently a 2nd degree - about to test for 3rd, my oldest son is a 1st degree, and my younger son is a temporary black belt. My daughter is a green belt - we will see if she keeps going, my rule is that they can't date until they are a black belt : ) it worked for the boys we will see. I do know I'm going to hang all our belts inside our doorway when the dates start to come and pick up my daughter as a warning- she is only nine now so there is time.

I'm here on MFP because just TKD is not cutting it in the weight loss journey. I had an break through - diet has to be a part of it too. Plus being a black belt I do more instructing and less and less working out in class. I have to find separate time to work out. I'm excited to learn about other martial arts - we only have a TKD school in my area although I know about a couple of other styles. I'm on my way now and am excited to find different ways to improve myself.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm impressed and very much intimidated with everyone's experience here! I just started karate (ryuei-ryu), just *one* month ago, but I'm loving it and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. Which is quite a surprise for me, as I wasn't really interested in martial arts in the past. I moved to Okinawa last year and thought to try it, partly as a cultural experience and partly for the exercise (or as I kept telling my friends "if I ever try it in my lifetime, now is the time and place") but bam! I got hooked from the very first class I went to "just to observe" :love:
  • Bulldogtennisplayer
    Options
    Hello I'm Not A spammer real person looking for support :) and looking to give support hola at your female_baby_bulldog :)
    49970398.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Colm_Butler
    Colm_Butler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Judo and Shotokan mostly, I have friends in martial arts gyms all over the place though and have spent time training Muay thai, BJJ, Sambo, Aikido and some TKD when i was a lad. It's great to mix it up to see similarities and contrast between each art and i have yet to walk into a gym and not learn something. problem is finding a good trainer. Too many places are mcDojoish at the moment. Put simply, if you aint getting your *kitten* kicked on a regular basis from training, you aint training. ;)
  • Colm_Butler
    Colm_Butler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is a bad Idea in terms of losing weight for Judo IMO. Too much strength loss