What do you train in? What have you trained in?

Replies

• AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Currently training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai , membership with my martial arts club means I can go to boxing and MMA if I feel like it too.
    Been doing it for several months now.
    Was out of training for 4 years , but before I chucked it I was a green belt in Korean Kempo.

Absoloutely loving the BJJ!
    Training it 3 times a week no Gi and once a week Gi (:
    Can I ask where your gym is?
  • I've just recently started training in Muay Thai. I've never done martial arts before but oddly enough I found my experience in baseball to come in handy. As one other poster noted, there is a lot of weight shifting and hip movement in Muay Thai that is somewhat similar to proper batting technique. I've been loving the experience so far. I'm nowhere near ready to really spar or fight but my coaches seem enthusiastic about the speed at which I'm learning.

The gym I train at also offers "MMA Grappling" classes which I might take up at some point as well, and there is a BJJ club that uses the space. I'm really loving the experience of training in a martial art. I've never been the guy that likes to go to a gym and run or lift so this seems like a much better way for me to get in shape.
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Started TKD and kickboxing 8 years ago.
    Started MMA (adding BJJ and wrestling) a year ago.
    Love it.
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    I am a 2nd dan in USTF Taekwon-Do and co-Owner of a school in Grand Rapids, MI. Hosed my foot up (getting out of my car, believe it or not... no great story) and have been unable to effectively train (or for that matter walk without a limp) since then. Was SUPPOSED to have tested for my 3rd Dan in November 2010.... still hoping to figure out a way someday. Still teaching, though so I am good at making other people work hard!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I trained in TKD up to purple belt. I was an elite wrestler in high shool and just started training in Combat Jujitsu.

I trained boxing with my dad, who was a boxer as well.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    I haven't trained any sort mma or martial arts in about four years and really want to get back into it.

I was part of a Kuk Sool Won club in college that spawned me to get involved with bjj and muay thai. I did it all for four years. I then got into MMA (just training) but due to work obligations and especially expenses, I was only able to do it for a year.

I loved the workout I got and really want to get back involved. Work is still the issue for me. Just finding time to commit to it.
  • Currently a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. 1st Degree in Hapkido and 1st degree in Kumdo ( sword fighting). Also my training has taken me on a TKD to Seoul, Korea. I am looking to get back into shape again, so I can get into sparring again!
  • iamronamo
    iamronamo Posts: 7 Member
    So many cool responses and MA backgrounds/experiences here!

I've trained MMA for about 3 years solid, one year at the start was on-and-off, spent most of 2011 'off' due to University workload.

But the MMA training when its 'on' consists of Muay Thai pad classes 2x a week, Muay Thai sparring classes 2x a week, BJJ 2x a week and MMA 2x a week.

My coach is one of those hardcore old school MMA fighters so threw us noobs in the deep end about 3-4months into our training.

Fight record is 1x amateur fight (B Class, i.e. with shin pads, more padded mma gloves and no punches to the head on the ground)- won unanimous decision- but boy was my cardio s**t, gassed in the 2nd round! And 1x Pro fight- won via KO - but make no mistake i was crapping my pants all the way to the cage.

Gonna get back into training/fighting this year, yay!
  • I have just started training in Goju Ryu and am loving it. Only training once a week due to kids sporting commitments. Before moving to christchurch a year ago I trained for 9 months at GoSuku Ryu and was training 2 - 3 times a week and was so much fitter.
  • Howdy everyone,
    I'm Heather (23) I have been doing MMA (kempo karate) for awhile know. And a couple a weeks ago, I started learning Krav Maga. Right now in my m.m.a class we are learning how to disarm guns and knifes. As for Krav Maga we are still on the basics.
  • I have done Muay Thai in Phuket Thailand for 2 months, and am currently taking Aikido and have been for a month.
  • Hi guys! I'm Nick, 24, did TKD and Tang Soo Do for all of middle school, high school, and 1 year of black belt collegiate sparring, now training and sparring 3-5 times a week in 90 minute sessions of Kajukenbo, going for purple belt in a bit.

Kajukenbo explained here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kajukenbo - basically a mix of hard and soft fighting styles geared towards self-defense. I'm mixing Muay Thai, TKD, Phillipino + Western boxing, and Kung Fu into standup, Judo and western wrestling for takedowns, and BJJ for ground game. A lot of learning!

Training for an amateur cage fight in May now, 5'11" and 192 lb., trying to cut to 170 lb. to be competitive for my weight. Any other Kajukenbo practitioners here?
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Hi.

I train in Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu 3 times a week, Qigong 5 times a week, and Kickboxing 3-4 times a week. I have been training in Kung Fu since February 2011. I love it.

I get my black belt in June and I am in Master's Path training (instructor training). Excited about what this year will hold for me!
  • Howdy Hi! I study Judo, Aikido and Karate, but i have also studied Systema, Krav maga, Ninjitsu, Freestyle Wrestling, traditional Japanese Jujitsu & Hapkido. Martial Arts Is pretty much my life, i live for it =)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    I've been training in a mixed style for 10 years. But I am interested in everything; I love visiting with my friends from other systems.
  • lilCrummie
    lilCrummie Posts: 12 Member
    i train in muay thai boxing 3 times a week love love love it my 3 kids to it to :wink:
  • hey im raphael, i used to train boxing and thai boxing until this year cause i've spend all my money for school. but when i get a job i plan on training again. would also love to try judo.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Hi I just joined this group!

I've had an interest in martial arts since I was a young child. I dabbled in TKD in my 20s but it wasn't for me. It wasn't until my daughter was 4 yrs old that I enrolled her in a Tiny Tigers Class in Kuk Sool Won. I was amazed at the things they were doing...so I signed up for a 6 week class. I really didn't think I would be able to do it, because of my past injuries and issues....(short version of my story in my profile)

Over 9 1/2 years later we both are still at it, and I will be testing for my 2nd degree Black Belt in July! I am so happy this style was available to me so close to my home...as it has a bit of everything. My friend who is also a martial artist had to study about 5 different styles to get the stuff I learn in one.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.:smile:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    I'm from Mass, just outside of Boston. I've studied Uechi-Ryu, traditional okinawan karate, 3 days a week for 2 years 10 months, and I'm about 3-4 months from my black belt 1st dan test. I'm instructing a junior level high rank class once a week, and assistant instructor with the adult class, and run it when Sensei is unable to attend. We have adult students with proficiency in other arts, as well as guest senseis, so I've had exposure to shaolin 5 animal kung fu from a master, Muay Thai, bjj and some krav maga. i have to say, I love the practical self defense stuff, so my krav maga classes are especially enjoyable.
  • dfgilbert
    dfgilbert Posts: 1 Member
    1 year, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    1.5 years, Kodokan Judo