Welcome!!!

Options

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Woooooo, we have well over 3000 members now :o) Welcome all!

****falls over on her *kitten* fainting
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on MFP on and off for a while and really need a change in my weight loss plan. Counting calories just isn't working for me as I always eat too many. I've been reading Dr. ATkins book and am ready to start a low carb diet. Right now, I'm excited but confused as to how many carbs to eat. I'm ready to cut out bread, sugar and all the stuff that's been making me feel so bad. I'm really hopeful about this and know it will be a process in learning. Any helpful hints or ideas on what to eat is appreciated. I'm so glad I found this group.
  • Tiggeroo2321
    Tiggeroo2321 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'2"
    HW;241
    CW:216
    GW:145
    UGW:130
    Sex:Female
    Children:Three girls, Amanda(6.5) Emily(4) Olivia(7wks)
    Married: yes! to Danny for 9yrs this October :D

I'm not on an actual "low carb" diet plan. I was on the Brewer diet while I was pregnant so I'm really just trying to cut my carbs and eat more protein and less processed sugar. I'd like to lose all 71lbs before my 10 year anniversary and really have something to celebrate besides our marriage! I'm super motivated right now and hoping that adding an exercise routine to my schedule will help me shed this weight along with nursing my newest daughter. So good luck to everyone and keep up all the nice recipes! I will definitely need them :D
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Deb2chef

Height: 5.2
    HW: 146
    CW: 141
    GW: 130
    UGW: 127
    Location West sussex UK
    Sex: F
    children x3 grown up & left home lol
    Not married- but have a great BF.

I am a low carber, goal 20 day, been on this two weeks now and feeling good as its working. Just love the idea of eating natural
    REAL foods, Pleased to say I wont miss pasta or bread, rice, as not high on my agenda-ever. Just bloated me out, Potatoes will miss a little at the moment but no biggy as if I mixed meat & potato I usually suffered for it. same as meat an bread-say a burger, made me ill. So feeling great not suffering an hour or so after meals any more due to wheat&or carbs.
    I am a chef full time and dont have much energy for exercise at the end of a day and Guess what= I can resist picking food at work on this diet= Yay x
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome and great advice! I've done low-carbing and some light fasting before but have never stayed with it because I bought into the advice that it was dangerous. I understand more about it now and something has clicked for me so I'm sticking with it this time.

Height: 6' 1/2"
    HW: 295
    CW: 278
    GW: 200
    UGW: 175
    Sex: M
    Children: 3 step, 5 grand, 6 fur
    Married: Second, going on 13+ years

Diet Plan: generic low carb; trying to stay in moderate ketosis using ketone test strips but have just begun.

Exercise: Mostly swimming due to joint pain. I hope the weight loss will help that situation.

Strengths: Support from a great wife, a great doctor and a great hypnotist. (I picked them all!!!)

Weakness: Fresh baked bread from the oven. But at least I don't crave it anymore.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just joined today!

Height - 5"4'
    HW - 256
    CW - 248
    GW - 160
    No children
    Live with my boyfriend, and we have 2 dogs, a pure lab and a lab/pointer mix

Diet plan: Low calories (1300-1500), high protein (130-150 grams), low carb (50-80 grams)
    Exercise - walking, Wii fit and Wii Just Dance

Strengths - Funny, patient, kind, a good listener, organized, great fashion sense!
    Weaknesses - Procrastinator!
  • Middyjane
    Middyjane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mary Ann. I just downloaded the app last evening and recorded my food this morning. I see that I can see the nutrient counts, I was looking for the carbs, on the website, is there any way to see them on my phone app?

thanks
  • missismonty
    missismonty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Height: 5 6
    CW: 143
    GW: 133
    Location- Stirling Scotland UK
    2 children
    Married

Strengths are cooking healthy food and being organised

Weakness is wine :-(
    x
  • Zaphyre13
    Zaphyre13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Height: 5"3
    HW: 267
    CW: 245
    GW: Under 200
    UGW: 138
    Location- BC Canada
    No children - 1 cat
    Married to high school sweetheart

Diet Plan: Primal Blue Print/ Atkins Induction. I'm trying not to eat as much processed food. Love coffee! Also indulge in Sailor Jerry's and Diet Rite Cola (no sodium, no caffeine, sweetened w/splenda) =)

I read Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and it changed my whole way of thinking. I always knew I felt better when I ate low carb but would cave to outside pressure & doubt myself or give into pizza cravings but after reading that book I will not go back to eating carbs. It's actually scary to think what all those carbs are doing to family and friends.
    I am an example of someone who has to count calories and not just "eat in moderation" Female forty and shorty works against me =)

I enjoy cooking, reading and photography. I'm happy to find a place with like minded people!
  • SDsd
    SDsd Posts: 6
    Options
    Height: 5'10"
    HW: 168
    CW: 152.5
    GW: 147
    UGW: 140
    Location- Edinburgh (UK)
    No children
    Boyfriend of 12 years :)

Diet Plan: I've just started a low carb, high fat diet this week. Attempting to stick to 10% carbs, 20% protein and 60% fat on 1300 kcals. Have been on a diet for a few months now, I was previously cutting out sugar, bread, pasta and rice and eating way more protein and less fat.

Exercise: Jogging (VERY slowly); strength training using my body weight (press ups, plank, squats etc); swimming; hiking

Strengths- I have amazing food willpower when I'm 'in the zone' (feel free to throw rocks)...

Weaknesses: ...but when I fall of the wagon I fall hard! Main weakness: delicious, sugary cocktails.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7
    HW: 304
    CW: 212
    GW: 160
    UGW: 150
    Location- North central Texas
    2 grown sons and 1 grandson
    Married 38 years
    Exercise: none, for now. just walk a lot for my job. I wear my Fitbit daily and average 11000-13000 steps most days.

This has been a long journey but I just keep picking myself up and going on.
    Today is my first day of Phase 2 of South Beach. I have never been someone to do anything to an extreme so the last 2 week have been hard but I have lost my sugar cravings.
    I look forward to being part of this group.
  • hutchtwin63
    hutchtwin63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hello, I am new to the site and to this group. I was scheduled to have gastric bypass yesterday, but 45 minutes prior to the surgery got a call saying that the surgeon had to cancel. I was totally shaken and really take it as a sign that I need to lose the weight on my own, in a safe way. My friend has lost 60 pounds in the past year, using a low-carb sensible eating plan. That's my goal!
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    HW: 296
    CW: 278
    GW: Under 200
    UGW: 190
    Location Pensacola, Florida
    4 children (ages 28, 24, 7, 6)
    Married to an awesome hubby for 10.5 years

Diet Plan- Bouari Clinic. This is like a cross between Atkins & Southbeach I think. Right now I'm on a paid 50 day program so I am doing exactly what they tell me to do. I'm not planning on repurchasing a plan with them, but will probably purchase a couple of their supplements which I think have helped me. They've forbidden diet coke and they push organics, but I'm not really into the organic thing and diet coke and I have been good friends too long to completely break up so...I do allow myself an occasional diet coke - and cocktails ;)

I have not been exercising much at this point. I have terrible plantar fasciatis right now so I'm hoping after I lose a bit more I can ease exercise back into my daily routine.

Strengths: I have pretty good will power most of the time and I love to cook and be creative with food.

Weaknesses: Potatoes & Bread (any form), also fried foods. I'm a southern gal and I like my stuff the way granny fixed it :)

I was happy to see this group to help me as I learn this low carb path. I need help being more creative in a non-carb way. :)

(HUGS) & LOVE! Karen
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Height: 63 inches or 5'3"
    HW: 238
    CW: 214
    GW: 150 ultimately, but 190 short term.
    Location- Durham, NC USA
    2 children, 6 and 8 year old boys
    Happily married for 10.5 years

I'm a bit undecided about the diet plan I need to be on. I had great success with South Beach before I had kids. I have since had a hysterectomy and nothing works quite the same. Because I know it, I am hoping to do SB again, but recently when I've tried it I've experienced migraines. (No idea if they're related or not-I experience them regularly anyway.) I've love to get through 2 weeks of SB phase 1, but it is very tough to make that happen. I don't buy the prepackaged SB foods-I like to cook myself because those meals are never satisfying to me.

I love to cook, though frequently lack the energy to get started. When I do cook regularly, I lose weight. My husband likes to buy tons of junk food, so I have to fight the stupid desire to sabotage myself with those things. Those are my weaknesses.

I try to exercise regularly, but don't always succeed. I tend to average three workouts per week. I hope to up that soon to five. I have to be careful with how much I do because of medical issues. If I do too much I'll end up being out for a few weeks to recover.

So it's a fine line that I need to walk, but I need to walk it already. The first time I lost with SB I did no exercise, so I know I can do this if I combine both.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Height: 5'5" on a good day
    HW: 170+
    CW: 152
    GW: 130 for now..
    Sex: female
    No children and not married. Got a lovely long-term boyfriend that I've lived with for a year now. (:

My diet plan Is just reduced calories and reduced carbs. My carb limit has been set to 65g lately (20%) but I usually don't even get there. Haven't ate bread in... I don't know how long. I was mildly cutting carbs before, but now I am actually make the effort. Lost 18 lbs by eating less carbs so far!

I try to exercise everyday, or at least 6 days a week. I aim for 35-40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of strength training 3 times a week.

I cannot wait to interact with more low carbers! Seems there is some hate towards people who cut carbs in MFP...
    Nice to meet you all. C:
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'2
    HW: 218
    CW: 211
    GW: 130-140ish
    Mini Goal: 180
    I've been remarried now for 4 years, I have 3 children, ages 14-9. I had a lot of success on Atkins about 10 years ago, and while I tried it back in March, this time I'm dead serious about the diet. I restarted on 10/8, and this week I want to work on incorporating exercise back into my life. The first week and a half on Atkins I felt like crap--there was no way I was exercising!
    Good luck everyone :)
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    HW: 320
    CW: 257
    GW: 170
    UGW: 145 *to make my doctor happy*
    Location- Las Vegas
    3 children - 21yr. old and 7yr. old twins
    Married for 18 years

Diet Plan- Kind of an Atkins/Southbeach hybrid ( I love love love red meat...so I had to hybrid! )

Exercise - I joined the Y and try to take their classes...takes me a couple tries to get over the fear, but once I go I tend to continue. Right now I do 2 days of Body Pump and 3 days of Aqua Fit.

Strengths- I am still working on that...

Weakness- Baked goods
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    Height: 5 ft 4
    HW: 9 Stone 7
    CW: 9 Stone
    GW: 8 Stone
    Location- Bolton
    No children
    So single..

I followed the dukin's diet to initially lose my weight now I follow the same low carb diet plan but follow it my own way.

Exercise for is generally a 50 min run x3 a week and swimming x2 a week.

Weakness- Chocolate, used to have bad chocolate binges but starting to get them under control.

Hi to everyone, feel free to add

Kat x
  • Rachelt70
    Rachelt70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'2.5"
    HW: 203 (actually I was 268 in 2006)
    CW: 188
    GW: 145-150
    UGW: 135, but I doubt that will ever happen, for some reason I feel too thin at 150..but that's just how I feel. At 150 I'm still considered quite a bit overweight.
    Location- NJ
    Amazing daughter and wonderful Husband, cutest Golden Retriever.

Weaknesses - chocolate, but good chocolate. Although, I haven't been one to refuse M&M's either. I love to bake, and eat home made baked goods. I often say that if someone isn't smiling when they have a homemade cupcake in their hand, there is something seriously wrong. I'm budget conscious so I'm waiting to buy some Erythritol to make some brownies and truffles for the holidays. I was the "snacker" for my daughters game, and wound up bringing an extra pack of chocolate chip cookies home (the bakery variety, not chips ahoy ). I packed a cookie each in the families lunches for a few days till they were gone...and inhaled deeply each time. I was hoping I'd stop craving this stuff....it hasn't happened yet. : (

I started out Oct 5th, mainly following the Metabolism Miracle, but after two weeks, I'm doing some reading...Atkins, Dukan, Protien Power and trying to take the general ideas from all. I'm avoiding all forms of sugar, goodies, flour, unrefined carbs, fruit for now...etc. I'm drinking on the avg 100 oz of H2o a day. I feel like I'm doing pretty well, although a little tired, and just started taking 3 miles walks 4x a week...but I'm worried about getting to a maintenance one day. I've lost a lot before, and after some serious life adjustments, just kind of went back to my old habits. I don't want to this time. I'm happy to be here.

I am concerned a little about sugar alcohols. I guess I'm missing something. I read one place that they are bad and will turn to carbs and thwart your efforts, yet Atkins makes products with the same S.A. Any thoughts?
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been with MFP for awhile now, but this is my first post here in the Low Carber Forum.

Height: 5' 8"
    HW: 195 (ish -- I'm not completely sure, because I refused to get on a scale until I noticed losing a few pounds)
    CW: 121
    GW: 125. So, yes, I've met and surpassed my goal weight by a bit, but I want to continue with the Low Carbing for many reasons. First of all, I feel so much better without the trashy carbs. Secondly, I've managed to find replacements for anything I crave (well, with the exception of croissants. Just can't find anything to take their place!
    Location: I'm a native Detroiter, but I've been living in Europe for the past 11 years (currently the Netherlands, though I spent a couple of WONDERFUL years in Ireland)
    Family: 3 wonderful kids (16, 12 and 8). Yes, I had my kids late, and boy does it show on my stomach! *sheesh* Then there's my husband, our cat and the bunny. One big happy family.

Weaknesses: Diet Pepsi and red wine. I am totally addicted to DP and have tried to cut down several times. Doesn't work. As for the red wine, heck, good French wine is only 4 or 5 euros a bottle! Who can resist that! Besides, I've managed to lose more than 70 pounds without giving it up, so why try now?

Strengths: I've developed an exercise strategy and have stuck to it. I do something everyday, even if it's minimal (like a brisk walk). I love riding my bike (the Netherlands has AWESOME bike paths, and it's totally flat! What could be better?), though with the cold/wet weather, I've been using the stationary bike at the gym more and more lately. I also go to Pilates 3 times a week. Lots of fun!

Another strength is that I've also relearned how to cook. I've never been that great in the kitchen, but since going low-carb, I've learned quite a few things. Great blogs like peace love and low carb, as well as Maria Healthy Living, have given me the resources to explore an entirely new way to approach meals and snacks, and it's all good!

Plus, Atkins chocolate bars have saved me many times from my own chocolate cravings! Gotta love Dr. Atkins for that!