Options
    hi everyone!

Height: 5'9"
    HW: 202
    CW: 197
    GW: 135
    Location- long island NY
    Sex: F
    Child: no human ones but have many creatures under my care.
    Status: living w/ DBF for past 13 or 14 years (i forget), he is wonderful, we make a great couple.

i have been on MFP since last week of oct- joined the day my ortho let me lose the crutches. i was in a bad accident almost 3 years ago (not car- was pushed off a cliff by demented homeless guy when i was feeding his skinny dog like i did every night, broke 24 bones. 23 have healed, just working on the last darn ankle joint one so i'm still in walking cast...but way better than the body cast and that hateful wheelchair i was in for so long). i never had any weight issues my whole life until this very active person was forced into state of total inactivity (yeah okay there was 'pity eating' going on too) and i thought losing this 65 pounds i gained since accident was gonna be so easy. nope. 2 months on MFP, 1200 cals and working out at p/t 3 x week and gym 4-5 days a week and nothing. doing some research has led me to believe it is NOT cals in/cals out for me but CARBS. something is wrong w/ my body's metabolizing of them. as soon as i can i will get the medical work up tests to back this theory....but my heart says it is true.

My weaknesses are: carbs carbs and more carbs. bread, muffins, pasta, pizza, etc. carbs w/ sugar like cake, cookies, pancakes/waffles....even better.
    another weakness is that sometimes i like to 'play dumb' on forums until i get ppl to retract their 'my is the only way for everyone' ultimatums they throw out there. ignore me. lol. i do find the "anti-clean eating" movement or whatever you wanna call it on MFP disturbing though.
    also i still have to take pain meds for the neurological condition caused by chronic pain- i am in process of slowly weaning off them since that condition appears to have gone into remission. whoot!

My strengths are: i was raised as an organic vegetarian and lived that way my whole life. i recently have added some fish and turkey into my diet but i am still and always will be an ultra clean eater. i am a vet (small animal) and a licensed wildlife rehabber so animals, all animals (but i am particularly fond of felines, esp feral cats) are a huge part of my life obviously.

i am going to go as low carb as i can and see how that effects my body. i do need to eat a greek yogurt every night for bone healing though (that worked for 23 fx's it has to work for this one last one). i'm excited about this....i want my old pre-accident body back and failure is not an option. i've worked too hard to get as far back as i have and i am uncomfortable being this size.
  • Blue71
    Blue71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    HW: 180
    CW: 176
    GW: 140
    Married with canine children
    Diet Plan: Atkins - induction phase currently (20 grams net carbs) * low carb makes huge difference for my recently diagnosed medical issues (IBS, lymphocytic colitis & gluten sensitivity)
    Exercise: elliptical, running, ice-skating, kick-boxing, Zumba, hiking, snow-shoeing & weights
    Weakness: pizza, fries, vodka ; )
    Strength: positivity!
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Name: Pany
    Height: 5'6"
    HW: 248
    CW: 221
    GW: 175
    UGW: 168
    Location- London, UK
    Sex: M
    No children
    Not married, currently single.

Diet Plan- Induction level carbs, gym 4 times a week, 1 cheat meal a week.

Strengths: Lose weight easily when I behave, know quite a lot about low carb and nutrition in general

Weaknesses: Comfort eater, willpower an issue, weight yo-yo's all the time, HUGE appetite

I have been following Atkins on and off since October 2001. I started at 248 pounds and went down to 175 within 10 months. Unfortunately, maintaining was a huge problem for me. My weight fluctuated between 190 and 220 for the next few years until I dedicated myself back to Atkins. In October 2006, I was down to 161, my lowest ever adult weight. However, my willpower disappeared again and I managed to gain 76 pounds in about 8 months!

My weight has been going up and down for the last few years. I decided a few weeks ago I will go back to Atkins in 2012 so here I am!
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'5"
    HW: 424.5
    CW: 378 (as of 1/1/2012)
    GW: 100 pounds less by the end of 2012.
    UGW: 140
    Location- South Carolina, USA
    No children
    Not married

Diet Plan - My food plan is a mix between South Beach Diet and the Glycemic Index.

Limited Mobility - I am currently unable to do much in the way of exercise because of my size and a damaged knee. I also have a bad back :cry:

My weakness - all breads, all pastries, and most candy.
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This year I am praying for each of you the same thing I am praying for myself...that you will have a year filled with God's blessings and favor ~ that 2012 will be the year you overcome and breakthrough to victory in any area in which you have been hindered ~ and that the number of days you enjoy good-health and happiness will outnumber the times you face sickness and sorrow.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Height: 5' 5"
    HW: What is this LOL
    CW: Current weight? 189.5 as of today
    GW: 135
    UGW: don't know what this means!
    Location- Gresham, Oregon
    3 boys 17, 13 and 11
    Married

Starting weight was 211.5 Started in November but fell off a few times (weeks) due to the Holidays. Back on track and no more falling LOL
  • lacotto
    lacotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Height: 5' 2"
    HW: 189
    CW: 165
    GW: 140
    Location- Rogers,AR
    Children- No kids, just a fiance and a beagle!

After a bad breakup, I woke up to find I was topping out at nearly 190 - not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was tired all the time, depressed, and feeling worthless. After getting on phentermine, I got down to 158, but have gotten back up to 165. I'm doing a mix of Atkins (the new version) and working out in preparation for a wedding. I've got 18 months to get to at least 140 and keep it there - sustainable weight loss while not losing the curves I love so much.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options

HW is highest known weight
    CW is current weight correct
    UGW is ultimate weight goal
  • cmthorsness
    Options
    Low Carb BUNUELOS
    (Tastes like Cinnamon Twists at Taco Bell)

1 oz pork rinds
    1 packet of Splenda
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp. butter (melted)

Melt the butter in microwave and add the splenda & cinnamon. Drizzle over pork rinds. You can even pop the whole thing in the microwave for a warm treat!
    Add more cinnamon or splenda if you like. If you let them cool for a while the mixture sort of hardens on them! Yum!
  • cmthorsness
    Options
    Ohh I see thanks... I want to be 135-140

HW is highest known weight
    CW is current weight correct
    UGW is ultimate weight goal
    [/quote]
  • cmthorsness
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/main_dish_recipes.html

Best recipes I have found and there are alot of induction ones also! Enjoy :)
  • jennababe7
    jennababe7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CW: Unhealthy
    GW: 145
    UGW: 135
    Location- Maryland
    No kids
    Married

Diet Plan- EAting low carb and low calorie

Super weakness---carbs
  • l2rcc
    l2rcc Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello!! Thanks for the invite!!

Here's me...

HW: 197
    CW: 184
    GW: 160
    Location- Auburn, CA
    2 adult daughters
    Married to a fabulous man!

Diet Plan- in progress. I've tried South Beach - that worked in phase 1 only; WW - that worked when I was younger, just didn't work this time around; Nutrisystem - that was trying to eliminate baby gain; HGB shots - yes. I admit it. Lost a TON of weight, until I started eating 'normal' This time - trying to pinpoint the foods that just don't go with my body. I started low carb when I was diagnosed with 'aspects' of PCOS, not full blown. But it was just too hard at that point. Going low carb now, keto-ish makes me feel better. If I can just see those numbers go down!!!

Exercise - my biggest weakness. Used to bellydance - but I haven't found anything I enjoy enough to stick with since then. During spring - fall gardening is big on my list

Don't know that I have a current food weakness - but I have yet to give up my glass of wine in the evening.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hello!! Thanks for the invite!!

Don't know that I have a current food weakness - but I have yet to give up my glass of wine in the evening.

I am a firm believer in liquid therapy! 8-)
  • BarbieHier
    Options
    Hi there!

I am close to my final weight goal and want to join this group for continuing support! I am a long time LC supporter...I did Atkins a few years ago and lost quite a bit, but never met my final goal weight and fell off the wagon, gaining 80 pounds. I discovered last year though, that I have a gluten/grain intolerance (many people who do well on LC also have a gluten intolerance by the way, which is why we do well on a LC plan). I do BEST if I avoid grains altogether, they act as a trigger food for me...by avoiding grains/carbs I really truly have no cravings, triggers or desire to overeat.

Anyway, I have lost 79 pounds as of today and have 8 left to reach my goal weight! YAY!

A little more about me:

Height: 5'4"
    HW: 232.5
    CW: 153.00
    GW: 145
    UGW: 135 (but am totally fine with 145...any lower and I might look sickly)
    Current size: 8-10 (8 in dresses, 10 in jeans...they are getting baggy, but can't get into an 8 yet!)
    Location- Michigan
    Child: 2 sons, one 22 and the other 16
    Married: celebrating our 25th anniversary this spring! (yes, I was a young bride :o) )

Diet plan: I started off with the "Just 10" book/plan by Brad Lamm. AWESOME emotional healing for those with food and emotional addictions. I was literally healed from emotional over eating. Has a great simple easy food plan to follow too, only eat unprocessed foods - or foods with less than 5 ingredients on the label...and if sugar is in the first 5 ingredients, DON'T eat it! I didn't follow his recipes, but I did follow his portion suggestions of the recommended foods.

Then after a few months, I readjusted it to roughly the Atkins phase one plan. I have to eat very low carb to continue losing and to maintain. My body totally hangs onto any carbs, if they are from fruit or whatever. I am fine with eating this way, I feel GREAT and everyone says I look 10 years younger.

I don't count carbs at all now, but I know how and what to eat... I eat eggs and veges for breakfast, a big salad with protein for lunch and some kind of meat/veges for dinner. I eat nuts and veges for snacks if I get hungry. Works great. I guess I stick to 50 carbs a day? Not sure, but not a lot.

Exercise: Mini-trampoline - BEST thing EVER invented! 20 mins. a day.
    Stepping box, hand weights, yoga ball (LOVE that too, REALLY toned me up fast) Pilates - Yoga, walking. Starting Zumba
    Classes in February.

Food weakness: Honestly, again, since cutting out trigger foods/grains/sugar, I really don't have any temptations that I can't overcome. I actually lost weight over the holidays because I didn't veer off my plan. :o)

But, I do like food aromas and this helps me...sounds weird...but if I can take a whiff of certain foods, it's just as good as tasting it for some reason. My son loves donuts and I take a whiff of the box, LOL and I'm good. Seems counterintuitative - but it works for me...and helped me through the holidays.

Thanks for reading!!! :o)
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't do this when I first joined this board. I am still new to low carbing and so far have not found it difficult. :) My doctor wants me to eat maximum 1200 calories a day and low carb. I'm keeping it to 20 grams a day or less, and so far so good:) here is my info...

Me:

HW: 247
    CW: 235
    GW: Under 200
    UGW: 160
    Two grown children, son 25, daughter 24 and another son that is 15 (will be 16 in a couple weeks!)
    Married for 18 years (will be 19 on may 8th:)

I am actually finding low carb easier to follow than I thought, but this could be because I had already switched to "cleaner" eating before doc put me on low carb.

Thanks for having me!! :)
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone SO glad to read all of your posts I was so happy to find this forum THANK YOU for allowing me to join...
    I also eat 1200 calories daily & try to stay no more than 20 grams of carbs a day or less. I started Low Carb living 5 yrs ago on Atkins kept it off for a few yrs but quickly regained when I began eating the carbs again.....This time I've learned my lesson and do my own version of Low Carb to fit my taste! I love this way of eating and it's the only way I've ever felt so great and done well....

Height: 5'6"
    HW: 255
    CW: 205
    GW: 175
    UGW: 160
    Married 25 yrs

I have 9 grown children (His,Mine & Ours) 36rs - 20yrs 15 grandchildren

I am now raising my 4 nieces and nephews ages 2-4-6-7....Thankful to have them and honored to be able to do it
    Final Hearing this February....

I like to encourage others on their low carb journey and would like to be encouraged as well.....
    so that's what you want......Please feel free to add me as your friend :smile:
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I'll add my full intro later. I just had to say Thank You for this group.I've seen so many nasty attitudes and condescending replies on the main site that I've been afraid to add a friend or open my menu.
    It's going to be so great to be in a group I can be honest with. Jennifer
  • MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So glad to be here! I've learned a lot from your posts- thank you!

Height: 5'5" (almost)
    HW: 220
    CW: 179
    GW: 165
    UGW: 138
    Location- Minneapolis, MN
    My lesbian partner and I have been together for 14 years, married for ten. We have two children, a seven year old boy and a three year old girl.

Diet Plan: It took a lot of angst and medical intervention for me to get pregnant, and I learned I had PCOS. Once I was pregnant, I transitioned back to my primary care doctor and she said not to worry about PCOS. Being a worrier, I did anyway, mostly because I've always had a tendency to be overweight no matter how hard I work at it, my cholesterol numbers aren't good, and I don't want to get diabetes and heart disease. Eventually I read Gary Taubes' work about low carb and decided to give it a try. I went with an Atkins approach (my doctor said I could but thought weight watchers or south beach would be better). I stubbornly stuck with the low carb, and my blood lipids improved dramatically. Thanks to some advice and encouragement from people here on the MFP boards I got a referral to an endocrinologist (going next week!). I hope they can help me with a more sustainable approach to low carb- I'm having a lot of trouble sticking with it even though I know it's good for me. Right now I'm trying a higher carb limit (120) and the occassional cheat day to see if it's more sustainable. I'm also (slowly) figuring out some low carb recipes for breads so I can add in more variety/interest to my diet.

Weakness: stress eating, and not spending enough time taking care of me