Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi Ravenclaws.

feeling pretty smug- did my fastest ever 5k last night. Whoop! Ate cookies to celebrate this though, oops.

CivicSista- you can weigh-in on any day Friday to Monday, just as long as it's the same day every week.

momofJandA- I am considering calorie zigzagging as well, let us know how it goes!

Datenshi- good effort on beating your targets. And I LOVE Madagascar, can't wait to see it this weekend!

Kelly- I like the idea because it brings us more together as a school, not just a house. Maybe for the input, the person from with the most OWLS each week could set a challenge for the following month/week. Or, each week could belong to a different house, so week 1, Gryffindor sets them, week 2, Ravencalw etc. The house could then discuss it and come up with the challenges as a group?

Happy hump day Ravenclaws!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Right, Head of House stuff!

Well done to... azsuzi, blackhawkgirl91, brittlynn07, datenshi, korkster and srp2011 for losing this week, especially Datenshi, who was our biggest loser this week!

Prefects this week are... Brittlynn07 and momofJandA! Well done you two for the most OWLS this week!

A few people are in dentention for missing a weigh-in, if it's you, don't forget to add your weight and don't forget next week!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the idea of school wide challenges, especially because it allows a greater variety of opinions in the mix. I love a good challenge!

Loving the calorie zig zagging so far . . . lost 2 lbs since Friday . . . today is a high calorie day (2215 with exercise) and I have no idea how I am going to eat that many healthy calories but I'm really going to try (also having a rough day and just not feelng like eating right now)

exercise.png
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I also like the idea of school wide challenges. That may be what we need to get all of the houses involved!
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of school wide challenges also. It would be nice if there was some activity as well that encouraged participation in the Great Hall discussion thread so that there is more mingling of the different houses. It would also be fun to do a tri-wizard cup challenge or in the case of Hogwarts a quad-wizard cup challenge. Each month we select someone from the house to compete against the other houses. And the winner is based on number of posts, number of minutes exercised, and % of body fat lost or some other criteria. We could even set up a 'Ministry of Magic' with members of each house to come up with weekly challenges for the tournament.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • rosesquelettique
    rosesquelettique Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I hope everyone is having a great week. I'm going to be stepping out for awhile...I'm lacking the personal motivation I need to make these changes, and I don't want that to affect this wonderful house :). Keep up the great work everyone!
  • momofJandA
    Options
    Hey Ravenclaws-

Not much to report today, nice run this morning- although I feel like I am getting slower- I don't think I am getting enough calories or something with the zig zagging- I have just felt really sluggish the last 2 days . . . maybe it has nothing to do with nutrition and everything to do with emotions- I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days

exercise.png
  • datenshi
    Options
    Hello Ravenclaws!!!

We have some gorgeous weather here again that is supposed to last into next week. It is going to be on the hot side but no rain for a while. I will finally be able to go hiking again after a 3 week haitus due to bad weather and other commitments. I am going to go early in the morning though when it isn't quite so hot.

I bought a few different vitamins and minerals yesterday since I have been tracking those as well and am deficient in several areas. My body has trouble absorbing iron, D, and a couple of others. I will see if in a week if I feel more energized etc. especially with the iron since I often cannot even donate blood because my iron is way too low. *crossing my fingers*

Well I hope you are all doing awesome!!! :flowerforyou:

Datenshi
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday already. Holy moly. The time is just flying by...
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday already. Holy moly. The time is just flying by...
    My thoughts exactly!! I hope everyone is having a great week!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Hi all, it's already Friday here! Love Friday morning, knowing tomorrow I can have a lie-in, bliss! Although have just signed up for another race on Sunday- second time in two weeks I 'm getting up at 4.30am to go running, I think I'm mental...

@rosesqueletti, we'll miss you! Good luck and come back when you can!
    @Datenshi, I have very low iron as well, never really thought about it affecting my energy but maybe it's worth considering. Hmm, might get some iron tablets and see if they have an effect.
    @momofJandA, I have heard that zigzagging can sap your energy, so I hope it's that! Emotion are definitely important though, I hope you feel better soon!
  • momofJandA
    Options
    Good morning Ravenclaws

Not much to report today- I'm losing weight like crazy this week . . . not sure if its due to the zig zagging kicking my metabolism into gear or the fact that I honestly haven't been eating enough ( alot of the entries in my journal are for a full serving of something and I'm not eating even half :ohwell: ).

A coworker gave me a compliment this morning. I was walking into work and she said "Oh my god woman you're getting so thin- there's like nothing left" Then another coworker (and good friend) said, "Nothing but the sexiness" sometimes I love the ladies I work with :love:
  • datenshi
    Options
    H A P P Y F R I D A Y R A V E N C L A W S ! ! ! !

@lottee - Iron definitely has an impact on energy levels. I would recommend having your levels tested first as too much iron can cause problems too.

@momofJandA - You should keep an accurate record of what you are eating since you can adjust the recorded portion sizes. If you aren't eating enough you might not be getting enough nutrients. Congrats on the compliments!! Can't wait until I get to a point I start getting some of those from my coworkers...lol.

AFM - I have been doing really well with 33 lbs lost in two months as of yesterday so I treated myself to getting my nails done last night and then went hiking...lol. I was sweaty as heck but at least my nails looked awesome...lol!!

I did end up getting a really bad and deep blister where my big toe meets the ball of my foot. What a weird and painful place to get a blister. Hopefully I will be able to go hiking this weekend. This time I am definitely duct taping my feet.

I hope you all have an amazing weekend!!! :flowerforyou:

Datenshi
  • datenshi
    Options
    I went to a conference last year on IT related topics but one of the guest speakers was a motivational type speaker and she had us try something. I would like you all to try and let me know what your results are.

Read the instructions first:

Think of the one moment this week that made you happiest or a real feeling of satisfaction. The more recent it happened the better because the memory is fresher.

Close your eyes and recall the memory, picture it in your head for at least 30 seconds. Then for the next two minutes or longer envision it vibrantly, focus more on the details in the memory... what was around you, what smells were there, what sounds were there, how did you feel? Put yourself in that moment and submerse yourself in the feeling, take time to really, truly savour it.

Once you have really captured the moment, take a deep breath and slowly open your eyes.

How do you feel?
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Datenshi - visualization is an amazing tool for well-being! :drinker: However, there's also a flip side - if you are the type to always focus on the miserable points of your day, then you will always feel miserable. That's the power of positive (and not-so-positive) thinking! Great exercise - maybe we could use that as a house challenge!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Good morning Ravenclaws!

Challenges for this week:

Food challenge: A great, personalised one from momofJandA this week: choose one change to make in your nutrition (something to leave out, something to add, something to make better. Could be giving up diet soda (mine), could be eating a more nutritious breakfast, could be drinking 1% milk instead of whole- you get the picture.) and each day you do it you get an OWL.
    - I am going to avoid chocolate all week- I've been a fiend for it recently, and it's unnecessary calories. Make sure you post in the common room what your change is going to be this week!

Exercise challenge: A tough one this week from Brittlyn07, but one which it would be awesome if we can do it! One OWL every day you add 25 pushups to your normal exercise. I think you can make these any types of push ups (google types of pushups, there are lots of easier adaptations than normal pushups, or tougher types if that's your bag...) Go for 25 of the hardest type you can do.

Spirit challenge: Post!
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Those are *terrific* challenges! Both of which I need to work on. Noodles for arms, and I've been bad with alcohol lately. Usually I don't drink, but it seems every time I turn around now we have some sort of function that has wine, cocktails, beer... all those liquid calories! I don't even like it. Blegh. And it's expensive. Yep, that's my challenge.

Of course, I also love Sue's idea for positive images. I've actually had difficulty with that one this week. And, boy, let me tell you, when you feel like crap, you do crappy things to yourself. I'm doing much better, I'm happy to say. But, for those who aren't, it's important to cling to something that makes you feel good, not feel full... as I'm sure we've all had difficulty with before. :heart:

On a brighter note, I kicked booty this week. Down to 270.6, which is 70+ loss from where I started in November. Woot! AND, tomorrow is my birthday, so yay for me.

I must say, the "forcing yourself to commute publically" has been fantastic. I hate climbing that hill every morning, but it gets me 2 miles of exercise in before 8am. That's pretty awesome. I won't say the hill is getting easier, but I'm not melting by the time I finish. If you get the chance, I strongly recommend it. :happy:
  • datenshi
    Options
    Hello Ravenclaws!

Went hiking for the third day in a row. By the time I was done the long trail I usually do I was feeling so awesome (thanks in part to duct taping my feet again) I did another shorter trail on top of that and burnt a crap load of calories.

Bam! I pwned those hills!

I am owning this day. I hope you are too! :flowerforyou:

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I feel confused and dumb. :hides under desk: What are the dates for the week challenges? I thought they started on Monday's but I think this month is different.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I'm sorry but I feel confused and dumb. :hides under desk: What are the dates for the week challenges? I thought they started on Monday's but I think this month is different.
    Challenge start dates are tied to your weigh-in day. You get to choose the day you weigh in each weekend - either Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. Then keep that as your weigh-in day every week so that you have a consistent 7 day week. So, say your weigh-in day is Sunday: you will post your weight Sunday morning and start the challenges for the new week that day. You will do the challenges Sunday - Saturday each week. If your weigh-in day is Friday, weigh in Friday morning and do the challenges Friday - Thursday each week. Its completely flexible for whatever works for you.