Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    @thewinged - I know what you mean. All I drink is water and coffee, so I always feel like I'm cheating on water challenges too! But its a good reminder for me to make sure I'm drinking ENOUGH water instead of sucking down the coffee.

I am not getting my ab-work in this week like I had hoped I would. Worked overtime both Monday and Tuesday - by the time I get home, there's not a lot of time to devote to exercise. I'm going to have to find new ways to fit workout time into my days.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

@thewinged... I am going out right now to find some swings! Sounds like a great workout!! I wish I could LIMIT my wine to one glass a week though, sigh.

@azsuzi... Can you do ab stuff at work? I never remember to do them, but my old colleague swears by contracting her abs while she sits at for giving her a great six-pack...

@korkster... 100 crunches?! You mad?!

This logging thing is difficult to get back into the swing of, must try harder!
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Back from my vacation. I ate so bad! The guy that I was with for most of the week ate pizza and Mexican. I loved it all, cause I don't eat it often when at home, but I am feeling fat and pudgy :( I did get a run in on Sunday and I did A LOT of walking around the race track on Monday and Tuesday. Even found some trails while looking to get to other corners of the track.
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The contracting abs thing works. I don't know about a 6-pack, but you definitely feel the burn after a while. It was one of our challenges before, and it kicked my butt. Plus, it's so easy to do... since we all sit...

The 100 crunches aren't bad. I break it up into 50, then 25, then 25. I do it while I watch TV for distraction. Usually when I get home (~9pm).

I also work out the arms in the morning (~5:20am). Just lifting weights, but it helps get me started in the day.

...maybe I should start the ab contract thing again...

I wish I had a swing here! Haven't seen one in ages!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hey Ravenclaws!!!!!!!
    Just stopping by for a quick hi- I've been a bit crazy lately between my own work (curriculum writing), the addition to the house, and my husband's work (he's working 65 hours this week) so not much checking in lately. Luckily I've been getting my OWLS just because all I drink is water (12 cups a day or more) and I do 200 bicycle crunches a day (I'm really looking to find some abs under my layer of fluff.
  • korkster
    Options
    I did my usual morning walk/jog thing today. I thought I was walking slow, so I included my jogging bits. I even added one going uphill (like a crazy person). Made it in less than 14 minutes! 6 minutes shaved from when I first started. This was also the first time I've ever doubled-over and gasped for breath like I was dieing, but I did it. :bigsmile:
  • korkster
    Options
    HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE! :bigsmile:

Did my jog again. Feeling good.

Today is expected to be a "high" calorie day. Well, higher than usual. Have a happy hour to go to. My goal is to sample a bit so people don't ask me anything, but not to gorge. I resisted my ultra-love (bread) yesterday, so I feel I'm prepared.

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a good one! :smile:
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Great job on the run/walk. I'm doing the C25K program and on week two. I had to start over cause I was out of commission for 5 weeks with my sprained ankle.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Hey everyone! I missed posting yesterday cause work was crazy busy and I was exhausted when I got home. All I wanted to do (and all I did :wink: ) was sit in front of the TV when I got home. Went to bed early only to be woken up an hour later by a loud family quarrel next door. :ohwell:

This weekend will be spent on homework - of course! - and getting my son ready to start classes next week. I am so excited that he has decided to do something more than barricade himself in his room and sit in front of his computer all day! YESSS!! :drinker:

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Hi everyone!

So, my new 'logging every day and being really good´ resolution has failed because I moved to Spain on Friday, and we don´t have internet or anything sorted in my house yet. I LIVE IN SPAIN NOW THOUGH! Super exciting!
    As you may have seen, Kelly is having a short break whilst she sorts things out and as other people are so busy at the moment with holidays and so on, I propose we take a short break from challenges etc and then get going again properly in September. So this will be a break week (still post and so on, but no challenges!) and then we shall get organised and start properly on the weekend coming.

And for now, remember, wit beyond measure is man´s greatest treasure!!
  • korkster
    Options
    Morning all!

I dropped the ball a bit on the weekend, and the results weren't good. I'm holding off on weighing until tomorrow morning because I just can't believe that number.

Sure, I had two high-calorie days, but I also exercised, and didn't eat back all of those calories... so... whatever.

Hopefully by being good today (and yesterday) it'll right the weekend wrong.
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry I haven't checked in for two weeks! :noway: :noway: :noway:

I've just moved houses so I've been pretty preoccupied with that :/

I've logged in an approximate weight/exercise and will start afresh for this week :)
  • korkster
    Options
    Well, that temporary weight ain't coming off. :grumble:

Been doing my exercises, eating about 1450 calories (try to do less, but I get so HUNGRY!), and... nada. The scale won't budge, and I don't know what I did to deserve such treatment. It can't be muscle; that's a lot of muscle over the weekend.

And, of course, when it stresses you out, you get hungry. Three Ghiradelli squares and a bag of jerky in, and it's only 9:30am. :angry:

Whatevs. I can still turn it around, but perhaps what I need is a "f" it day and just enjoy myself.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Hmmm... Has our Hogwarts group finally died?
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm still here azsuzi!

Haha. I am always the one that pops in irregularly and makes excuses though.

I do still check this every few days even if I don't post that often.

Today I weighed in to the surprise weight of 55.9kg! :noway: I've never gotten down that low before. Pretty awesome :happy: . I put it down to the "Moving-out-of-home Diet" which basically means that now, if I'm hungry, I have to 1) leave the warmth of my room (this is a cold house, we have heating in the bedrooms but not the house generally) 2) clear the tiny kitchen so I can make something 3) actually make something 4) wash up and clear the tiny kitchen again. That just looks like too much effort half the time, so I've been eating a lot less. I tend to make a big salad to take to work every day as well, because I don't want to buy lunch, so no doubt that's helped.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm still here just not as active as I would like to be. School officially starts tuesday so I'll be back in my usual routine and will check in every day again (shh I do it during prep- here's not much "prep" time at home with a 4 and 2 year old neither of whom actually nap)

I ran 13 miles Thursday- in 1 hour 52 minutes- I was completely STOKED!!!!
    My half marathon is in 2 weeks . . . last long run is tomorrow and then I will taper down so my body can heal before the race
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I'm glad to see that there's still life in Ravenclaw! And I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that no one's around on a holiday weekend (in the US) at the end of the summer. I'd miss you all if we close up the common room - we've been together for so long! :flowerforyou:

But the other houses are looking pretty sorry - Slytherin has pretty much thrown in the towel, Gryffindor hasn't had a post in 2 weeks and Hufflepuff is barely hanging on. Its looking like Ravenclaw might be the lone house again. Bron and Kelly have done a great job as acting Headmistresses trying to hold it all together, but without enthusiasm and participation from all the houses, the energy of inter-house competition fades away. That's why Ravenclaw went out on its own after the initial challenge ended last year (wow! has it been a year since the last movie came out?). Its just easier to focus on our own little group.

OK - enough with my moody ramblings... So, if Ravenclaw is still here, we need challenges!! And we need to get back to announcing our weekly Prefects and such! Since Lottee doesn't have reliable internet right now and Kelly is dealing with personal issues, I will step in and keep Ravenclaw moving.

*********************************************************************************

Here we go - Sept week 1 challenges:

Food: Eat your fruits and veggies! Aim for 3 cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruits each day (hint: 2 cups of lettuce and other salad greens counts as one cup). Here's a link to give you some ideas: http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/fruitsvegetables/cup.html#1cup

Exercise: Keep it moving! Take the stairs, park away from the building, use the bathroom on the other side of the building, etc.

Spirit: Post! Let your fellow Ravenclaws know what you're up to.

Happy September Ravenclaw!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Azsuzi, you are a star! And, as of tomorrow, I am back at work (eek) and so will have reliable internet access everyday. Thank you so much for doing the challenges, and I will get on with reminders and prefects and so on this week. The spreadsheet is updated to include this weekend, and I will clear it of people who seem to have dropped out after this weeks weigh-in.

As for me, am slowly settling into Spain, my housemate is lovely and the flat is good, no internet or anything yet though as the paperwork moves sooooo slowly!! Amazing weather though, and have got a new running route sorted, which I am going to try out tomorrow morning.

Hopefully, as people go back to work/college/school they will drift back to Ravenclaw, and if not, we'll just have a really small group of old favourites! I will be logging on every day from now (I know I've said that before, but no excuses now!!) so I hope to see you guys in here as well!
    Lottee x

Edit- just seen the spreadsheet as well Azsuzi! I was going to leave this week as an extra week and have next weekend as the first weigh-in of September, as we need a catch-up week at some point, but we can totally do that at the end of this month intead, so thanks loads!!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Hi all!

Wow, exhausting first day at work, information overload! Had a lovely swim in the school open-air pool afterwards though, so that de-stressed me a little bit... Free school lounch everyday though, need to avoid that temptation...

Don't forget to weigh-in today Ravenclaws, if you're still around!
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder to weigh in Lottee. I forgot that today's Monday since its a US holiday - still feels like Sunday! Glad you've settled into your new home and got through the first day of work.

I'm starting the month up a bit. I really do need to buckle down and knock out the sweets and snacks. Why is it that when we're overworked and tired it gets so difficult to stick to a good diet? My hubby says its all about will-power, but I just don't agree. I need to go back and find that article about gateway foods and let him read it. Maybe then he'll understand my struggles...

Have a great week everyone!