Introductions!

Options

Replies

• Cotton_Dreadworth
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ed. 53 y/o single male, book lover, trying to lose 30-40 pounds. Right now I'm reading Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov" (P-V transl.). BK has been on my to-read list for years. I generally like spiritual reading, where I tend toward the liberal Catholic side of things: Kathleen Norris and Fr. James Martin are favorites. Also enjoy reading literature more so than popular books (so call me a snob :wink:).

I live in SW Pennsylvania.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi!! My name is Lynn and I am also an avid reader. I’m currently reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. My latest reads were “Horde” by Anne Aguirre, “Quintana of Charyn” by Melina Marchetta, and “Dark Wolf” by Christine Feehan.
  • Nickib1989
    Options
    I cant remember if I introduced myself or not when I first joined but my name is Nicole and Im a huge bookworm. Im currently reading Blood Rights by Kristen Painter and am aiming at reading The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade Volume One by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee next.
  • barefootrach
    Options
    Hello! I'm Rachel, most people call me Rach. I'm currently readying The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling, and Surprised by Hope by N.T. Wright. I've restarted my MFP and I'm just now wading into the community side of the site. I'm glad I found a group for bookaholics! xoxo
  • Elizfro
    Elizfro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Liz. I also love to read! I have several library cards and a kindle! I read before my workout class or while I'm waiting for my kids for pickup and their sports. I also belong to a book club. We just finished reading, "Jesus Land" by Julia Scheeres. On my own I'm currently reading "Defending Jacob" by William Landy. I'm happy I found this group!
  • 2facetious
    2facetious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

My name is Lesley, I've been on MFP for a while but I've never looked at the groups before. I chose this one because even though I have a wide variety of interests, if I had to pick the one thing I would never give up it would be reading. I'll read darn near anything. I prefer sci fi and fantasy, and I'm always on the lookout for new authors. I too prefer a "real" book, but like others have mentioned I just can't see dragging around all those boxes of books anymore! I have one bookshelf with the ones that have sentimental/monetary value, but other than that I pretty much stick with my Nook. Being able to carry around tens of thousands of books in my purse has its appeal!

Though I'm not religious, a friend just turned me on to "Walking the Bible" by Bruce Feiler. I'm constantly downloading ebooks from my local library, but I haven't managed to find another fantasy series to sustain me until the next Game of Thrones book comes out. I feel like I've pretty much read them all (Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, the Sookie Stackhouse stuff, all the vampire crap, the Ender's Game series, the Thomas Covenant Chronicles....and on and on). Hoping to find something new from y'all :)
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kadi. I love reading and read daily. I am part of several book clubs online so I read those books monthly/quarterly depending on their book lists. At the moment I am finally reading "The Book Thief". I have only just started it so I can't really comment on it yet! Before than I read "The Waste Lands" by Stephen King which is the 3rd book from the Dark Tower series. I prefer thriller/mystery, apocalypse books but I do read just about anything (although not really into romance novels).
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jeanne. I have been having a difficult time finding the time to read, though I do listen to audiobooks every night for bed. MFP does such a great job motivating me to be healthy, maybe it can motivate me to read more, too. Would love to discuss books with you!

I am a huge fan of Jasper Fforde, Tom Robbins, Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, and a whole host of other writers. I do love well-written young adult fiction, if I'm being honest. Hunger Games was great, but Twilight made me grind my teeth (no offense to anyone who loved it, I did finish because I really wanted to know what would happen, and I watched all the movies). I LOVE Sherlock Holmes.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm another Liz. Lately I have been trying to learn more about nutrition and physiology with non-fiction from Fuhrman, McDougall, Lustig; the classic "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty(?). I also liked the Chi Running/Chi Walking books but not as much as "Born to Run" and "Why We Run." Today I am working on "God's Hotel" by Dr. Victoria Sweet.

Weightwise I have been stuck in the 170s for almost a decade, I was hoping the knowledge about sugar and other high glycemic foods would break the plateau. Probably should try audio books while working on the treadmill.:smile:
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm another Liz. Lately I have been trying to learn more about nutrition and physiology with non-fiction from Fuhrman, McDougall, Lustig; the classic "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty(?). I also liked the Chi Running/Chi Walking books but not as much as "Born to Run" and "Why We Run." Today I am working on "God's Hotel" by Dr. Victoria Sweet.

Weightwise I have been stuck in the 170s for almost a decade, I was hoping the knowledge about sugar and other high glycemic foods would break the plateau. Probably should try audio books while working on the treadmill.:smile:

If you like books on running and are looking for an audiobook, I really loved Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, from Audible.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Karen and I just found this group. Couldnt join earlier cause my nose was stuck in a book as usual :) I love to read. Anything. Id read a cereal box if it was the only thing in the house. I dont have a favorite genre, I get "moods". Right now, I'm in a science fiction/ fantasy mood. Just finished a history period after watching Pacific on tv. So I needed something a little lighter. Moster killing seemed right :)
  • SkinnyAdele2
    SkinnyAdele2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new (as of today)-- and a voracious reader. Just finished reading The Queen Takes the Train-- very good.
  • miketau2
    miketau2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating when all I want to do is curl up with a good romance novel only to have to put it down for my school books. I have 5 classes left until I graduate and believe me, I am counting! :-) I am currently reading Cat Adams' The Blood Singers novels, not romance this time. SIFI with a lot of action. :-)

Good Luck with school, weightloss, and READING! ;-) Keep in touch.
  • BOOKNHAND
    BOOKNHAND Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Melanie. I LOVE to read. Currently, along with school work, I am reading A Wrinkle In Time trilogy in print. And on my kindle I am reading Fablehaven The Completed Series and Their Eyes Were Watching God. I am going to be out for summer semester so I am going to try to catch up my books. I am back on MFP to try again on losing weight. Believe that I have about at least 80 pounds to lose. Maybe this time I will succeed. Good luck to all.
  • april32many
    Options
    Hi!!!! I'm April. Currently BACK in college after 10 years away and 12 years of being a SAHM. I'm an English/Creative Writing Major and reading is pretty much an obsession, second only to coffee! I love historical fiction, fantasy, Feminist literature, autobiographies, memoirs, Victorian literature (Brontes, Austen, Wollstonecraft, ****ens, Joyce), Romantic poets, and young adults books...So, pretty much everything:) I've developed really good workout habits again in the last month and now I'm just waiting for the better eating habits and exercise to catch up. WELCOME ALL who are new! It will be nice to have some community to turn to for support!
  • april32many
    Options
    Rent videos in your room or come up with a easy to remember stretching and cardio routine to do in your room and work out with only a trainer to hold the "ladies" in place and there will be no clothing to wash! That could work?
  • bethyfair
    bethyfair Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Been on MFP off-and-on for awhile, but only just now getting into the community aspect. My husband and I recently moved to an area where we don't know too many people. I'd love to have some friends on here to help encourage each other, as that makes such a tremendous difference! Feel free to add me.

I adore reading! Currently working my way through the Dune series. Overall, it's been good. It's a little too philosophical and "preachy" to me, though. I just have one more of the original 6 Frank Herbert books left - haven't decided yet whether or not to continue on with the series.

Also currently working my way through the Outlander series (on book 4 I think). I need to remember that the local library is my friend, and that I don't need everything on Kindle :o)

Some of my favorites: Harry Potter, Song of Ice and Fire, Gates of Fire, Pride & Prejudice, Ivanhoe, Starman Jones, and Ender's Game.
  • PilatesQueen77
    Options
    Hello,

I'm Suzy & I adore books. I have just finished reading, 'Paper Towns' by John Green. I usually read historical fiction, but I like to read different genres. I draw the line at Sudoku handbooks! I'm on Goodreads too. I'm not really sure what to say next? So, in the ABSENCE of something witty to say, here it is: BAA.

Suzy :smile:
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Tracy and I love to read. I will read just about anything, however my favorite genre is Fantasy/Science Fiction.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Christine. I am an avid reader, primarily of dystopian lit, although I do love a good mystery or play. My all time favorite book is American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I am currently reading The Silkworm by JK Rowling as well as The Complete Grimm Stories.