Options

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian
  • Faelwyn_the_Rising_Phoenix
    Options
    I'm currently reading Daughter of the Empire by Janny Wurts and Raymond E. Feist. My goal is to read all the books in the Riftwar Cycle. B)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading "Artemis" by Andy Weir, the guy wrote "The Martian". Loved "The Martian" so much I picked up "Artemis" based solely upon the author. His new book is good and a very fast read, though doesn't have the same gripping power as his first one.

I just cracked open "The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz. First chapter was meh, but if I stopped reading books based upon the first chapters I would have never fallen in love with my beloved Shannara series by Terry Brooks.

Somewhere in here I also need to finish up my latest round of edits for my second novel, get it ready to publish. My daughter has been (im)patiently waiting long enough.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory
    I'm currently reading Daughter of the Empire by Janny Wurts and Raymond E. Feist. My goal is to read all the books in the Riftwar Cycle. B)

Feist is one of my favorite authors! I read Magician: Apprentice around 20 years ago now and have been hooked ever since. I haven't been able to find a library or local store that has the Empire trilogy though (and keep forgetting that I can just order them online, haha). Let me know how it is?
    Options

Feist is one of my favorite authors! I read Magician: Apprentice around 20 years ago now and have been hooked ever since. I haven't been able to find a library or local store that has the Empire trilogy though (and keep forgetting that I can just order them online, haha). Let me know how it is?

@marieamethyst

I just finished it late last night. It was fantastic! I can't wait to read the next two in the Empire trilogy (need to read Prince of the Blood; starting this one today :)) first though as it is next on the recommended reading order that I am following.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Norse Mythlogy by Neil Gaiman and Harry Potter - A History of Magic.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Currently reading Norse Mythlogy by Neil Gaiman and Harry Potter - A History of Magic.

Tell us how you liked them when you finish? I want to read both!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

@marieamethyst

I just finished it late last night. It was fantastic! I can't wait to read the next two in the Empire trilogy (need to read Prince of the Blood; starting this one today :)) first though as it is next on the recommended reading order that I am following.

Thanks, guess I'm going to have to finally get around to giving the trilogy a read! Prince of the Blood has to be my least favorite out of that cycle, but I'm just not a fan of Arutha's twins. I adore his son Nicky though, and the King's Buccaneer turned out to be much better. Maybe you'll enjoy it more than me though!

If you're looking to read them in timeline order, I recommend reading the Krondor books before starting Shadow of a Dark Queen and onwards. He did write the books after Shadow, but the events take place before it. Might help explain changes to some of the characters in the later books as well. :)
    Options

@marieamethyst

Thanks, guess I'm going to have to finally get around to giving the trilogy a read! Prince of the Blood has to be my least favorite out of that cycle, but I'm just not a fan of Arutha's twins. I adore his son Nicky though, and the King's Buccaneer turned out to be much better. Maybe you'll enjoy it more than me though!

If you're looking to read them in timeline order, I recommend reading the Krondor books before starting Shadow of a Dark Queen and onwards. He did write the books after Shadow, but the events take place before it. Might help explain changes to some of the characters in the later books as well. :)

Thank you!

So far I'm not a fan of the twins; they are spoiled entitled brats. I felt so bad for Nicky when he was greeted with jeers and teasing by the twins at the beginning. I hope there is more said about Nicky in the books (the last was him fencing in a courtyard while the twins looked on).

I am quite happy for Earl Jams and Gamina. :) Though Pug and Katala.... :( Thus book is a roller coaster of emotions. LOL

I will keep in mind that reading order. Thank you! Time to go see what fate awaits the Kingdom. :wink:
  • lilithsrose
    Options
    theowlbox wrote: »

Tell us how you liked them when you finish? I want to read both!

I really enjoyed Norse Mythology. It was a quick read. Its just re-tellings of the original myths but with extra detail added by Gaiman.

A History of Magic didn't have as much new HP info as I had hoped, but I still enjoyed it. It mostly told you about tie-in's with real world history and magic. There were a few original scripts from JK Rowling, so those were interesting. The art was nice.

I'm currently reading Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman. Its the 2nd book in the series and I've been anxiously waiting for it to come out. I also discovered that they're making a movie.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Swimming lessons by Claire Fuller. I love all of the book references so far.
    Options
    Mistress of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist. It is really good so far; I'm about halfway through. It's just as engaging as the first one was in the series.
  • lilithsrose
    Options
    Finished Thunderhead. Now reading A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly, just finished A Man Called Ove by Fredric Backman.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Independent People by Halldor Laxness and enjoying it.
    Last week I read The Lathe of Heaven by Ursela LeGuin. It was my first by this author and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading more by her.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly, just finished A Man Called Ove by Fredric Backman.

Just noticed my phone auto corrected Fredrik to Fredric! That’s embarrassing :(
  • lilithsrose
    Options
    I'll be starting Sun Warrior by P.C. Cast today.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    theowlbox wrote: »
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi

I almost picked this up at the library yesterday! But I'm currently reading A Moveable Feast by Hemingway.
  • ulala424
    ulala424 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading The River of No Return by Bee Ridgeway and Always Watching by Chevy Stevens.
    Finished Thunderhead. Now reading A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas.

Her Court of Thorns and Roses series is one of my favorites! I'm planning on re-reading the series to get ready for the fourth book coming out in May.