What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »
    I'm going to put The River Between Us on my list as well. The restrained emotions he describes just seem so "real" to me. Yesterday I was struck, for example, by his description of the pause for silence at the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month to commemorate the loses of WWI. I can still remember when we did that in my little home town in Wyoming...

I got out The River Between Us and On the Wings of Heroes at the same time but enjoyed "Wings" much more. It is a really sweet story about a young boy trying to do his best (but not always succeeding) to help on the homefront as his older brother goes off to fight in WWII. But I'm really a sucker for WWII books!

I read both of those yesterday (quick on audio even), then started on Seduction in Death (In Death #13) by JD Robb for something different. I have a few more Richard Peck books on my tbr list, the previously mentioned The Teacher's Funeral, Here Lies the Librarian, and there are a couple of others that look like a totally different genre altogether, Three Quarters Dead and The Best Man. That concludes the Peck books available to me in audio format from the libraries I have access to.
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Million Dollar Demon (The Hollows #15) by Kim Harrison (5*)
    Rachel, Trent, and allies must rein in the abuses of a sadistic and egomaniacal new vampire leader assigned to Cincinnati or die trying. I'm not usually a paranormal fan, but I've been hooked on this series ever since I got the first book as a Kindle freebie many years ago. The series supposedly ended with book #13, so I was surprised to find that there have been two more books written since then and set between #12 and #13. This is not a stand alone book. As a long-time fan, I loved it, but if you haven't read the previous books, you would probably have trouble following many aspects of this story and probably would be frustrated and unable to enjoy it.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Million Dollar Demon (The Hollows #15) by Kim Harrison (5*)
    Rachel, Trent, and allies must rein in the abuses of a sadistic and egomaniacal new vampire leader assigned to Cincinnati or die trying. I'm not usually a paranormal fan, but I've been hooked on this series ever since I got the first book as a Kindle freebie many years ago. The series supposedly ended with book #13, so I was surprised to find that there have been two more books written since then and set between #12 and #13. This is not a stand alone book. As a long-time fan, I loved it, but if you haven't read the previous books, you would probably have trouble following many aspects of this story and probably would be frustrated and unable to enjoy it.

Sounds like something I might like - I'll have to check out this series
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Fierce Attachment by Vivian Gornick
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family by Annette Gordon-Reed
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

This one is on my TBR list - you'll have to let us know how it is :)
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I am almost 1/2 way through and really like it so far. Like taking a bunch of journeys down different paths in your life. Interesting.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro (3*)
    This is essentially a re-write of The Velveteen Rabbit, in a future where kids are genetically altered to be brilliant and stuffed animals are replaced with droids called AFs, but unlike The Velveteen Rabbit, this one has a hard time getting to the point and has added sprinklings of weird. It certainly has its charms and spots where something actually happens, but in between it is dragged out with sections of pure boring. I am at the age where I can honestly say my life is too short to waste slogging through this much boring verbiage to seek out whatever treasures might be hidden within. I am not a fan of either boring or weird, thus, I am not a fan of this novel.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Had to read that book for lit class when I was a kid--it traumatized me for life!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Had to read that book for lit class when I was a kid--it traumatized me for life!

I can see why it might do that to a kid. I liked it, he told the story sort of from the point of view of a little boy, or as a little boy might see things. It certainly wasn't a children's story!

Now I am reading a Richard Peck that has already been discussed, The Teacher's Funeral. I'll pick up a longer book tomorrow.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I'm listening ("reading") an Audible Original, The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. It is in print as a graphic novel set, this is a dramatization but so far is very good. I have read the graphic novels that this audio is based on and it's true to story.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finished Daylight - David Baldacci. Solid 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4 on Goodreads)
    Now reading The Guards- Ken Bruen. This was a gift from my mother in-law. She really likes this author - looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

• Catfish_Fan
    Options
    An Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma. This one is good so far (half way through it) but to say much would be spoilers so I won't. I liked his previous book The Fisherman quite a bit.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start reading the Game of Thrones series. Despite being a die-hard fantasy nut, I've avoided reading this series for years, partly because of the popularity of the HBO series. Haven't seen any episodes, just kinda figured that if mainstream people who have nothing to do with fantasy are liking it, then it must not be any good. But the continued success has to mean something, so I finally broke down and bought the first book, just to dip my toe in the water so to speak.

Maybe not the best method to determine if I'll actually like the series or not... my all time favorite series, Shannara, I was lucky to read book 2 first, because it hooked me, whereas when I went back to read book 1 later I'm positive I never would've gone back had that been my first exposure to the series, lol.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I'm about to start reading the Game of Thrones series. Despite being a die-hard fantasy nut, I've avoided reading this series for years, partly because of the popularity of the HBO series. Haven't seen any episodes, just kinda figured that if mainstream people who have nothing to do with fantasy are liking it, then it must not be any good. But the continued success has to mean something, so I finally broke down and bought the first book, just to dip my toe in the water so to speak.

Maybe not the best method to determine if I'll actually like the series or not... my all time favorite series, Shannara, I was lucky to read book 2 first, because it hooked me, whereas when I went back to read book 1 later I'm positive I never would've gone back had that been my first exposure to the series, lol.

I've yet to tackle that series, either in book or tv show form. Everyone said the show was awesome until the last season and they were drastically disappointed. I am not everyone though, I often disagree with the opinions of "everyone". I have the book series on audio and kindle so it is just a matter of not being intimidated by the length, and the fact that it's unfinished and GRRM will probably never write another book to conclude the darned thing.

I loved Shannara but my all time favorite was Robin Hobb's The Realm of the Elderlings. I read all sorts of different genres but my go-to is fantasy.
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited July 2021
    Options
    An Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma. This one is good so far (half way through it) but to say much would be spoilers so I won't. I liked his previous book The Fisherman quite a bit.

This one was beautifully written and tragic. The story told of the main character by his Chi (guardian spirit) had highs and lows, and made an excellent fiction. I guess I would classify it is African fiction, more in the literature category, the characters were Nigerian, and I rated it 5*.
  • Btrflydog
    Options

I've yet to tackle that series, either in book or tv show form. Everyone said the show was awesome until the last season and they were drastically disappointed. I am not everyone though, I often disagree with the opinions of "everyone". I have the book series on audio and kindle so it is just a matter of not being intimidated by the length, and the fact that it's unfinished and GRRM will probably never write another book to conclude the darned thing.

I loved Shannara but my all time favorite was Robin Hobb's The Realm of the Elderlings. I read all sorts of different genres but my go-to is fantasy.[/quote]

I too have yet to start GOT series. I did recently by the first two books, but have to agree that the fact series will probably never be finished makes me hesitate to start them. I would like to read a couple of them before watching the TV show.