Options
    Fall; or, Dodge in Hell
    by Neal Stephenson
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Fall; or, Dodge in Hell
    by Neal Stephenson

This one was a bit disappointing, having enjoyed Neal Stephenson in the past this one just didn't come up to par.

Now reading Farilane (The Rise and Fall #2) by Michael J. Sullivan. Book 3 just came out this week and I want to read it soon, then I will be almost all the way caught up with this author.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Had the 1st 3 books in the series in my TBR pile for awhile. Think it's time to start reading them.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I started The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese, and I'll finish it, but darned if I can see what all the fanfare is about....
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read Deception Point by Dan Brown and it was ok, not super. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for the genre, and the book is getting dated.

Now reading Esrahaddon (The Rise and Fall book 3) by Michael J. Sullivan as I wait patiently for the electric company to get our wires fixed after Thursday night's tornadic activity. Thankfully we have generator power but it isn't a perfect situation, much underpowered. Lights, freezer, toilets, basics work... no air conditioning.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    I read Deception Point by Dan Brown and it was ok, not super. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for the genre, and the book is getting dated.

Now reading Esrahaddon (The Rise and Fall book 3) by Michael J. Sullivan as I wait patiently for the electric company to get our wires fixed after Thursday night's tornadic activity. Thankfully we have generator power but it isn't a perfect situation, much underpowered. Lights, freezer, toilets, basics work... no air conditioning.

I read Deception Point years ago - after reading Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons - not nearly on par with those 2. 3.5 Stars at best.

@FitMary202 sorry to hear that about Covenant of Water - hope it gets better. I have an earlier book of his - Cutting for Stone queued up for my V in the challenge.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I missed a rather large book in between my last two, I also read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. It was great, I will be reading more by this author.

Electricity just finally came back on so I might not be so distracted from my current book. It was out from 8:45pm Thursday to 5pm Monday.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    I missed a rather large book in between my last two, I also read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. It was great, I will be reading more by this author.

Electricity just finally came back on so I might not be so distracted from my current book. It was out from 8:45pm Thursday to 5pm Monday.

Glad your electricity is back - that's a long time to be without it even with a generator. Hope your storm clean up is going smoothly and everyone is ok.

Currently reading - Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Hooray for electricity!!!
    We're blessed to be living in the 21st century for the most part.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Warrior Girl Unearthed by Angeline Boulley was a good follow up to her earlier book Firekeeper's Daughter. It centers around an Ojibwe girl living on Sugar Island (which is a huge island in the St. Mary's River near the Soo Locks in Northern Michigan) in a non-historical fiction setting, 2014.

I followed that with a horror novella, Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw, it won a bunch of awards but I don't know why. It wasn't for me. Thankfully it was short.

I'm now reading Is This Anything? by Jerry Seinfeld, which is mostly standup jokes but with bits of memoir by the author. It is an audiobook read by the author, much more entertaining than that horror novella.

• LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Finished The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley. I've been trying to read some of the old time pioneers of horror. I thought it was a hoot; Wheatley threw about every occult practice he could think of into that tale in a rush of lovely 1930's melodrama. Then I read Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie. At the request of a young woman, whose late mother was convicted of killing her father, Poirot re-opens a case that was closed 16 years earlier. He goes over and over every detail about the five other people who were at the scene of the crime until his little gray cells zero in on the real killer. One of the more meticulous Christies but rather sad.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I've gotten stalled out on Covenant of Water and falling asleep over it every night. You're inspiring me to pick up the pace!
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    I'm struggling with my book as well. Watched more TV than I read this past week. Time to get back on track and finish the challenge. If I do it will be a first for me. I have been inspired by all you avid readers.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas for the Kindle Summer Challenge (Series badge). It is a YA fantasy romance. I would rate it 2.5 stars except Goodreads doesn't have decimal points, so I rounded it up to 3. I was generous! This is book 1 of 5, I have to decide whether to attempt book #2.

Right now I am reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, which is over 1300 pages and clocks in at 47 hours in audiobook format. It's an immersion read, I will probably be reading this one for at least a week. So far it is good.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I read A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas for the Kindle Summer Challenge (Series badge). It is a YA fantasy romance. I would rate it 2.5 stars except Goodreads doesn't have decimal points, so I rounded it up to 3. I was generous! This is book 1 of 5, I have to decide whether to attempt book #2.

Right now I am reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, which is over 1300 pages and clocks in at 47 hours in audiobook format. It's an immersion read, I will probably be reading this one for at least a week. So far it is good.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of 1Q84. So many have recommended it...
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of 1Q84. So many have recommended it...

Add me to the list of people curious to hear your opinion of this book and author. An author I follow just recommended another of his books - Norwegian Wood. His review was that he binged it in one sitting - it was so good. Then he stated he would right more, but he was off to find everything else Haruki Murakami had written. this definitely has my curiosity peaked.
  • liannetx
    liannetx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished Fourth Wing and can't wait for the sequel later this year. Currently reading
    Burning Down the Haus: Punk Rock, Revolution, and the Fall of the Berlin Wall and the first book of the ACOTAR series a A Court of Thorns and Roses.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Finished off August with None of This is True by Lisa Jewell, which I thought to be a skillfully built and clever thriller about a woman podcaster who gets sucked into a clingy subject's web of pretense and deceit. Then Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie, a carefully crafted but rather sad story of a cold case the daughter of the late convicted murderer wants Poirot to re-investigate. The telling piece of evidence is something only Poirot spots. I didn't.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    I Begin September with a non-fiction, Agatha Christie: A Very Elusive Woman by Lucy Worsley. I spent about three times longer than I should have getting through this book because I kept googling the various intriguing, cars, towns, houses, etc. mentioned. Ms. Worsley wrote a well-researched book that cuts through the muck often written, and believed, about Dame Agatha. As a reserved, distant, but highly successful woman of trail-blazing accomplishments, Dame Agatha was easily misunderstood and misjudged by a muckraking media. Ms. Worsley delivers a clear, thorough, and sympathetic portrait of the very human and often disparaged woman who is the world's best-selling author.