What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    liannetx wrote: »
    I just finished Fourth Wing and can't wait for the sequel later this year. Currently reading
    Burning Down the Haus: Punk Rock, Revolution, and the Fall of the Berlin Wall and the first book of the ACOTAR series a A Court of Thorns and Roses.

Hi, and welcome to the group! I would like to hear your opinions on the Sarah J. Maas book because I just read it. I was fairly unimpressed compared to the hype the book has gotten, but maybe the series gets better the further in you get. In my library I also have The Throne of Glass books and the first two Crescent City books, I have not gotten to them yet but I picked them all up on kindle sales. My "To Be Read" mountain is far too high.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of 1Q84. So many have recommended it...

I will have to say that the book was weird. I studied Japanese culture a little bit in college and actually took Japanese language 101 and a course on Japanese culture, and I realize that this book was written to a Japanese audience, but I did like it quite a bit. It was sooooo long. I would like to read more of Murakami someday but right now I am done and moving on to the next book. Some people (from reading Goodreads questions) hated the book and some absolutely adored it, I am leaning on the loving it side. It has a lot of sexuality in it, be prepared for that. I don't think that is uncommon in Japanese culture though, it is not as repressed.

I don't think I will begin another book tonight though, it is late and I finally finished 1Q84!!!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Started two books for two challenges. Waste Tide by Chen Qiufan for my Q name, and for the Kindle Summer Challenge, Together We Burn by Isabel Ibañez.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I've read some Murakami short stories and started several of his books... I even tried to read the stories and then watch the movie Drive My Car. But I think I'm going to give up on Murakami in general. Life's too short to spend any more time trying to finish books that feel like thankless chores. And in that same spirit, I'm thinking of quitting Water for Covenant, though I'm really close. And I do need a V for the challenge. In the meantime, I've started The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre for a change of pace.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Breezing through The Spy and the Traitor. It's exaggerated, but I can handle that. I've got Qiu's Inspector Chen on deck and I splurged on The Ministry of Truth by Dorian Lynskey. Hope that will be a good read too.
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Read two Debbie Tung graphic novels. The first, Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story is autobiographical and kind of sad until the end as she comes to accept that her introversion as how she was born and who she is and not something broken or pathological. This book would probably not appeal to everyone unless they've walked in her shoes and can relate personally. The second book, Book Love is a lovely series of warm humorous sketches about life with a serious book addiction, that would probably appeal to anyone in this group.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    @FitMary202 - I agree - life's too short to read bad books.

@LadyCalico2 -I'm putting Book Love on my TBR list.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) by Ken Follett

I had to pick another long book. I'm hoping this is a good series.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Miracle Creek by Angie Kim--this is a court procedural and whodunnit about a deadly fire in a barometric chamber that has been sabotaged. It has a very original plot with well-done court scenes involving two very smart opposing attorneys. The talky/thinky chapters in between gradually tell the reader what really happened, but too gradually for my taste. I found it to be a great crime story that shone when there was action, but not so much when it involved verbose dialogue and introspection.

The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie--During a blizzard a group of neighbors are entertaining themselves with a seance and the spirit says the landlord has been murdered, which indeed he has. This was well-plotted and engrossing mystery, but I was disappointed in the ending. I felt Dame Agatha was really reaching into implausibility when she came up with the hidden clue. Good mystery until the not-so-good ending.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What I'm reading right now:
    Over the Edge Alex Delaware book 3 by Jonathan Kellerman.
    Psychologist murder mystery / thriller.
    A pretty good series of books up to this point.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Finished Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt--the story is like Beauty and the Beast meets Scheherazade. A teen girl gets lost in the forest and Lord Death comes for her, but she keeps bargaining with him by telling him a story but refusing to finish until he lets her go back for a day to tie up loose ends. This was written in a fairy tale style that had a smooth flow to the story-telling, so it went quickly and I found it easy to finish in one night. I enjoyed it, but many other Goodreads reviewers really, really hated it because of the ending.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    The Last Devil to Die by Richard Osman--At last the fourth volume of the Thursday Murder Club has arrived, and they keep getting better and better as the personalities keep developing and showing deeper dimensions. This time they are on the trail of heroin smugglers as the body count keeps climbing. This story had more humor than the previous books, but also more pathos, as beloved friends pass and we learn more about the club members' lives.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) by Ken Follett

I had to pick another long book. I'm hoping this is a good series.

I really loved Fall of Giants, for historical fiction about The Great War it was great! I am continuing the series with Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy book 2) by Ken Follett.
    akknfm4hk7ct.png
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Finished Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart. An English woman is married to a dashing man who cancels the trip planned for their First Anniversary because he was called by his company to handle an important matter in Stockholm. Then she sees him, and a beautiful younger woman, in a movie newsreel at the scene of a deadly circus fire in Austria and heads there to find out what's going on. I confess I chose this book because of the beautiful cover with the white horses galloping through the snowy forest, which turns out not to be a scene from the story, however, the Royal Lipizzan Stallions were important to the plot. It was a great old romantic mystery from the 1960's.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Finished Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart. An English woman is married to a dashing man who cancels the trip planned for their First Anniversary because he was called by his company to handle an important matter in Stockholm. Then she sees him, and a beautiful younger woman, in a movie newsreel at the scene of a deadly circus fire in Austria and heads there to find out what's going on. I confess I chose this book because of the beautiful cover with the white horses galloping through the snowy forest, which turns out not to be a scene from the story, however, the Royal Lipizzan Stallions were important to the plot. It was a great old romantic mystery from the 1960's.

LOVE your "confession" of choosing a book by its cover and having it pan out!!
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Finished the Alex Delaware book. Good enough to read the next one at some point. Now reading Son of a Liche by J Zachary Pike. Second book of a trilogy. I liked the tongue in cheek fantasy satire of the first book and it still had a story too, so now on this one. About seven chapters in and it is a good as the first book.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Finished Payback in Death by J.D. Robb (Norah Roberts) #57 in the series. This was one of the better plotted books in the series with the crime having scads of potential suspects, none of which are panning out. Right from the beginning Detective Eve is sure she knows whodunnit, but feeling someone is guilty is not the same as proving it. I found it an engrossing and entertaining mystery as Eve doggedly seeks the missing connections and motive.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Finished Payback in Death by J.D. Robb (Norah Roberts) #57 in the series. This was one of the better plotted books in the series with the crime having scads of potential suspects, none of which are panning out. Right from the beginning Detective Eve is sure she knows whodunnit, but feeling someone is guilty is not the same as proving it. I found it an engrossing and entertaining mystery as Eve doggedly seeks the missing connections and motive.

I like that series but there are a lot of books, I think that I am up to about book 14 or 15 so far. It has been a while since I last read one. It doesn’t help me that all of the older audiobooks are published by Brilliance and only for sale by Amazon through Audible, therefore expensive, and not available at libraries through Overdrive anymore. I do enjoy J. D. Robb but haven’t read many Nora Roberts. The newer In Death books are at libraries on audio but I have a big pile to read in order to catch up.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    I like that series but there are a lot of books, I think that I am up to about book 14 or 15 so far. It has been a while since I last read one. It doesn’t help me that all of the older audiobooks are published by Brilliance and only for sale by Amazon through Audible, therefore expensive, and not available at libraries through Overdrive anymore. I do enjoy J. D. Robb but haven’t read many Nora Roberts. The newer In Death books are at libraries on audio but I have a big pile to read in order to catch up. [/quote]

Poor you! I was lucky to have started when there was only about 15 of them, which was doable. If I'd have known there would be so many, I'd probably have quit after the first three. Same with Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Now I'm committed and am too OCD to quit.
  • LadyCalico2
    Options
    Read Agatha Christie's The Secret Adversary in which two broke friends desperate for income accept a job that runs them afoul of a Moriarty-like master criminal. This was a very early book and meant to be a fun one with lots of mess-ups, near death escapes, cute repartee, and a little romance.