What are you reading currently?

Options
1868788899092»

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Xenocide (Ender's Saga book 3) by Orson Scott Card. I like this series and just as I started reading it the libraries I have access to dropped it from the kindle e-book list. I guess some things rotate out, it is rather old...
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Still making my way through Huckleberry Finn and James at the same time. I'm really enjoying it.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Finished Cemetary Road - Greg Isles 4*

Next - Before the Coffee Gets Cold -Toshikazu Kawaguchi
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finished Before the Coffee Gets Cold - 4*

Now reading Hell Bent - Leigh Bardugo - this is one I wanted to read last year, but kept getting pushed to do the alphabet challlenge.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I finished James and I'm glad I read it. It was so imaginative! He probably would have written an even better book without the Twain connection, but that enriched the original and crafted an intriguing dialogue.
    Now I've started Edwidge Danticat's Farming of Bones, and I'm enjoying it too.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    The Farming of Bones was heavy, but I'm glad I read it. I didn't know this history until recently. Now I'm going to look for something very different. I need something uplifting.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Dark Mirror (Bridei Chronicles book 1) by Juliet Marillier was fantastic (excuse the pun, it was a fantasy novel).

I'm in the middle of three series now, one is YA World War II historical fiction by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch, and then there is the fantasy series The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne (which is kind of humorous).
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Really enjoying Pico Iyer, The Half-Known Life: In Search of Paradise.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I am currently reading book one of the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly, Every Dead Thing. It is a long detective thriller series with 21 books and book one was written in 1999 so it is a little bit dated (no smart phones and people use taxis and newspapers, lol).

I'm finished with the Skrypuch series, other than the lone book that has no audiobook companion. It is short so I may try it. I really liked the story arc, this is WWII YA Historical Fiction told from the point of view of some Ukrainian civilians who had to live through being invaded three times, first by the USSR, then Germany, and then again by the USSR.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    I am currently reading book one of the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly, Every Dead Thing. It is a long detective thriller series with 21 books and book one was written in 1999 so it is a little bit dated (no smart phones and people use taxis and newspapers, lol).

Well at least we are old enough to know what taxis and newspapers are -LOL. I never read the Charlie Parker series, but have a friend who is really into it and buys the latest one as soon as it comes out. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finished Hell Bent - 4* - I liked the first book - Nineth House better.

Up next - Mystic Tea - Rea Nolan Martin
  • FitMary202
    edited April 26
    Options
    Generations by Lucille Clifton. Loved it! Only wish it had been longer...
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Trying to finish Maryse Conde, The Gospel According to the New World. I guess I get the humor?
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    Well at least we are old enough to know what taxis and newspapers are -LOL. I never read the Charlie Parker series, but have a friend who is really into it and buys the latest one as soon as it comes out. Hope you enjoy it.

The series is in Kindle Unlimited and my yearly gift membership is about to expire in May, I will not be renewing it because the price jumped to twice what I paid per month. With all the public libraries I have access to now (I just added Queens) the KU service is not worth it, most of the books in there are not New York Times bestsellers. So I don't know how far I will go with the Charlie Parker series, I have about a million other books on my list to read.

I just reread the first Harry Potter book, The Philosopher's Stone. They finally released the audiobook copies read by Stephen Fry here in the States, those were UK versions only and the US versions featured Jim Dale as narrator. I have read the series before but it was a very long time ago, and of course I am listening to the better audio version (everybody says Fry is a much better narrator than Dale).

• Btrflydog
    edited April 27
    Options

I've read the physical books - some of them several times. I would reread all the previous books prior to the latest one coming out (I'm such a nerd). Been thinking of rereading them all yet again. But since I cling to the old school way of reading physical books, (once again such a nerd), I feel I should really make a dent in the TBR pile that has taken over a room in my house.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    I've read the physical books - some of them several times. I would reread all the previous books prior to the latest one coming out (I'm such a nerd). Been thinking of rereading them all yet again. But since I cling to the old school way of reading physical books, (once again such a nerd), I feel I should really make a dent in the TBR pile that has taken over a room in my house.

The e-book set for all the books in one file is $75. I bought it on sale one day for $15!

Other great "steals" I found back in the day were the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin that is regularly $40 for $9. And I got the entire Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (all 14,277 pages of the 15 books) that is regularly $150 for $45. I miss the days when Amazon used to give super one day sales on e-books.

I have a library room too, but these days before I read a physical book (even one I own) I check to see if the libraries have a kindle copy first, because I would much rather hold that device. I get less eye strain too from long reading sessions. After I read most physical books I remove them from my collection.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the Big Nate series by Lincoln Peirce.

And I'm not ashamed to admit it! Spitsy, a dog, is my favorite character.
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited 12:57AM
    Options
    I'm reading a book from author Jeff Wheeler, one of the rare no-name authors that I found in the Kindle Unlimited program that I actually liked. I have read several series by him, they come with the audio companions too. This one is called Doomsday Match and it's book 1 of a series, I don't know whether I will continue it or not. It is completing a Kindle challenge badge to read and finish a series starting book from a list they provided, and one to read a Kindle Unlimited book.

I have KU paid up through the end of May, I am such a book nerd that I renewed my Gift Membership at $8/month (paid in advance for a year) instead of monthly at $11.99/month. If this series continues to entertain I can continue it...