What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Just about finished with The Leavers by Lisa Ko. Planning to start There There by Tommy Orange with The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride on deck.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I pressed pause on the Peter Heller book to finish up the Chuck Wendig trilogy (3 stars) and then started The Iron Druid series with book 1, Hounded, by Kevin Hearne. It is magical urban fantasy about a 2100 year old druid living in Arizona and being hunted by fae from ancient Ireland for possessing a magical sword. In a lot of ways this series is reminding me of Dresden by Jim Butcher.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I'm enjoying There There by Tommy Orange. Each chapter features a different Native American from Oakland (mostly) and their voices are compellingly rendered.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    The Great Escape: A True Story of Forced Labor and Immigrant Dreams in America by Saket Soni. Horrifying how thoughtless greed can make us...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read the Peter Heller book and liked it a lot.

Then I read Hexed by Kevin Hearne (The Iron Druid 2) and I'm now almost done with book 3, Hammered. This is a really good urban fantasy series.
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited February 22
    Options
    I could not do A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas right now. I got about 10 hours into it and decided I was bored and I wasn't sure what was going on exactly, so I stopped. I had at least 15 hours left.

I read Freaks, Gleeks, and Dawson's Creek by Thea Glassman about seven teen shows that changed the landscape of television. I have seen the majority of the shows the author listed and agreed with the supposition, and enjoyed the in-depth analysis of casting and shooting those shows. Because I have not seen Dawson's Creek (yet) and a couple of the other shows (The O.C. and Glee) I skipped those chapters, the analysis does give away a lot of story plotlines and spoilers. I do want to watch Dawson's Creek at some point, and I'm currently in the rewatch of Friday Night Lights which was one of the shows in the book.

I'm now starting a western, Forever Texas by William W. Johnstone and J.A. Johnstone. I don't know who wrote this one, the styles of the books since the death of William have been markedly different between series making it obvious that there are several ghost writers besides his niece J.A. Johnstone. All the series I have read by Johnstone (based off his "notes" supposedly) have been ok, not astoundingly awesome but entertaining.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Just finished Aminatta Forna, The Devil that Danced on the Water, and I'm getting ready to start The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride. We've had a heck of a beginning to the year with health challenges and too much work so it's great to be back here!
    I'm even considering another Alphabetical reading challenge...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished the Johnstone westerns I was reading, then read another UF book in the Iron Druid Chronicles series by Kevin Hearne. I also read Nimisha's Ship by Anne McCaffrey, it was good.

Now I am reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, that got such rave reviews and high ratings back in 2015. I am enjoying the historical fiction so far.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Keep getting distracted as I try to start The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store...
    The Memory Index by Julian R. Vaca and This is How You Lose the Time War by El-Mohtar and Gladstone are both calling my name, and they're both e-library books so I "have" to read them before the McBride book, which I own.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Finally finished A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin - had trouble getting back into the saga since it had been quite a few months since I read the previous book. Was great once I found time to focus on it.

Now reading The Last Days of John Lennon - James Patterson. The title's a misnomer the parts about John Lennon start back at the beginning of the Beatles. 60 or so pages in it's an interesting read. I won't say good, because there is no good out of Mark David Chapman shooting Lennon in cold blood.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
  • FitMary202
    Options
    My Venice and Other Essays by Donna Leon
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    two atm, The Frozen Hours by Jeff Shaara (Korean War historical fiction) and Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky (scifi)
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Cemetary Road - Greg Isles
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »

I think that is the only Greg Iles book I haven't read yet. I have it on my kindle, bought on sale.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »

I think that is the only Greg Iles book I haven't read yet. I have it on my kindle, bought on sale.

He's got another Penn Cage novel coming out May 28th - already have mine on preorder.
  • FitMary202
    edited March 26
    Options
    I'm reading The Cost of Free Land: Jews, Lakota, and an American Inheritance by Rebecca Clarren, but I'm also thinking I'm going to break down and splurge on James by Percival Everett.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Speaker for the Dead (Ender saga book 2) by Orson Scott Card (sci-fi)
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »
    I'm reading The Cost of Free Land: Jews, Lakota, and an American Inheritance by Rebecca Clarren, but I'm also thinking I'm going to break down and splurge on James by Percival Everett.

I've been looking at getting James as well - let me know if it's worth it. :)
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Just got it today on Kindle and so far I like it, @Btrflydog! I never liked reading the dialect in Twain and so Everett's selective use of it seems really creative. I reread just a bit of Huckleberry Finn before I started James, and I'm glad I did. I think I might keep them both going at the same time.