What are you reading currently?

Options
1878889909193»

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Just now finishing The Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options

Is this your first time reading it, Doug? How fun!

I'm reading Kent Haruf again. Eventide.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

Is this your first time reading it, Doug? How fun!

I'm reading Kent Haruf again. Eventide.

I read them in 2013, so it has been a while. Still fun.

I am currently reading book 3 in the Bridei Chronicles by Juliet Marillier (fantasy) and Big Jack (in Death 17.5) by J.D. Robb (scifi crime novella).
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Finished Kent Haruf, Eventide and I'm starting Victim by Andrew Boryga.

@Catfish_Fan I'm not surprised you're enjoying Harry Potter a second time round. I read the whole series twice and some books three times (with my kids)!
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Soul Taken by Patricia Briggs. I got over 210 pages to read by tomorrow and I'm a slow reader. Um, yeah. This is gonna be hard. 😅 I really hope I can make it.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Finished Victim very quickly. An Ordinary Youth by Walter Kempowski is going much slower...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I'm currently reading Soul Taken by Patricia Briggs. I got over 210 pages to read by tomorrow and I'm a slow reader. Um, yeah. This is gonna be hard. 😅 I really hope I can make it.

Was it a library loan or a book club read or some reason you had to read so much in a day? I don't like to read longer books on a deadline because of this, library loans much over 400-500 pages give me a quota of pages to read each and every day and that makes it feel like work to get the book done in time. It reminds me of my summer class in college when I had to read Wuthering Heights in 3 days and I was disgusted because my friends were having fun with their free time and all I had time to do was READ.

I'm still reading The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier and I am a bit bogged down because I have too many other distractions going on. I have to have complete concentration on my books or I can't follow the plots, I have to keep backing up to the chapter starts and rereading what I missed. I like the book well enough and it appears to be a 4 or 5 star read, it is me and my concentration at this point that is the issue.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Started reading Martyr! by Kaveh Akbar. Depression, drug abuse, prejudice, sadness...but he's a powerful writer so I guess I'll keep going.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Surprised myself by finishing Martyr! quickly. Now I'm reading Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Don 't read Hive by Barry Lyga, it is a "skip". It wasn't very good.

Now I get to pick a new book.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read James by Percival Everett in a day, loved it.

I am determined to finish The Iron Druid Chronicles and so I am now reading book 8, Staked, by Kevin Hearne.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell (Historical Fiction). I have about 3 hours to go, will finish today.

Next up is the new Penn Cage book by Greg Iles, Southern Man.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Clocking in at 45 hours, Southern Man by Greg Iles is read by Scott Brick. Wow, the author really lets you know how he feels about Trump, QAnon, and MAGAs in chapter one. That is to weed out readers I think, Trump supporters won't get past that and will put the book down. So far it is great (10% into it).

Here is my favorite quote so far:
    "Until 2016, I had believed that battle mostly done. Then the patients took over the asylum. I watched in disbelief as businessmen voted for a repeat bankrupt, laborers for a boss infamous for stiffing his workers, evangelicals for a serial adulterer, women for an admitted sexual assaulter, patriots for a draft dodger who would sell his country’s secrets for trivial gain, educated men for an ignoramus. But they did so with fierce gladness in their hearts. Because what their chosen one had done was open Pandora’s box—yes, the old one, filled with the ancient calamities of race hatred and rage and cruelty and bloodlust and infinite greed—and tell them that these things were the remedy for all their grievances, that all their anger was justified, and most important: None of what ailed them was their own fault—or ever had been."
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Got my copy of Southern Man yesterday. Can’t wait to read it, but need to finish up the book I stalled on. Nothing wrong with the book just got caught up in something’s on TV.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I finally abandoned Zadie Smith, The Fraud. Just too much like work to read it... I'm considering reading something by Dickens as a palate cleanser.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Reading Grey Bees by Andrei Kurkov
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Grenade by Alan Gratz
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Day Zero by C. Robert Cargill (sci-fi)
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell (historical fiction)
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, narrated by Stephen Fry.