Stage 2

Options

Replies

• dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I started Stage 2 on Thursday--I'll do workout B for the first time tomorrow (eeek). I've been going over and over the exercises to try to memorize them, but they do seem complex. 1A was definitely disconcerting after getting so familiar with Stage 1. The FSPP was awkward at first and hard on my weak left shoulder the whole time, and the lunges were killers. But, I felt sore (still do) afterwards, which I never did during Stage 1. So I took that as a good sign--that I was working muscles I don't use as much or something.

Not looking forward to the length of the B--like others (I read this whole thread, so helpful) I may move the intervals to the A workout. We'll see!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Question - since there are only 3 workouts a week, do you guys think it's okay to do HIIT after each of them? I mean, it's only 15 mins...and yes, I'm exhausted after the workouts, but an extra HIIT shouldn't hurt anything, will it?
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    MrsRip, I did HIIT after A workout Wednesday. I was able to do it far better after A than B!:frown:
  • dandelion39
    Options
    So just finished my first B workout. Questions...

Lateral flexion--can someone please explain these to me? Felt like they were doing a big NADA. Any substitutions?

Cuban snatch--not a question, just a whine about the fact that it was embarrassing fumbling with the bench, then progressively going down from 10 to 8 to 5 lb dumbells (!). Oh yeah, and having to stop in the middle to watch a YouTube video to see how to do them correctly.

The lunges were ok--I think I need to use heavier dumbells though--the forward reach felt like nothing.

Bulgarian split squat (ouch!)--kept readjusting my distance from the step. I need to go back to the book and look at form for this.

Overall, felt totally awkward, annoyed at all the set-up required, and probably didn't take enough rest between sets.

I loved the intervals though--probably because I knew what I was doing!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    @MrsRip...re: HIIT after each w/o--I think in the book he says that Alwyn never includes intervals in every workout, only every other workout. But, honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. I did HIIT after every w/o in stage 1. I suppose if your goal is purely to increase strength, you wouldn't want to do anything that exhausts your muscles more than the prescribed workout does, but if you're working on more all-around gains (and losses) seems fine.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    What were you doing wrong? I've watched videos and feel like I'm doing it right but I'm paranoid.

I had my back foot placement wrong, I was balancing on my toe instead placing the top of my foot on the step. Good thing I realized it seemed too similar to the lunge and looked at it again :smile:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I am still extremely sore. The good thing it's only noticeable when I get up and down and not an ongoing ache.

I despise doing the reverse lunge. It feels awkward.

The Bulgarian split squat I feel very confident. Although, I have to reset my balance a few times , I can definitely feel that deep stretch. I was made paranoid (LOL) by a previous comment . On you tube Lou has several exercises and the BSS is one of them if anyone has any concerns.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I had my back foot placement wrong, I was balancing on my toe instead placing the top of my foot on the step. Good thing I realized it seemed too similar to the lunge and looked at it again

Gosh damn it. Guess what I need to change?

Sadly my proxy gym doesn't have kettlebells.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Starting this today. I'm actually kinda scared cause my gym is so small and there seems to be some awkward moves. I like this thread...makes it a little less scary.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ugh...Cuban snatches...I cannot seem to progress from 10 lbs! I attempted 15 lbs this morning and was lucky to get two...barely!

I did, however, increase my weight with the deads and lat pulldowns by 10 lbs.

Just two more workouts and I'm done with Stage 2, but I'll be taking a 3 week break before starting Stage 3. I'm going home for 10 days to see my family. I'll get plenty of unorganized lifting, since I do have three grandbabies I plan on picking up as much as possible. :smile: :heart:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    workout 2A completed. It was worse the 2nd time around LOL. Maybe because I upped most of the weights.As usual, I left my book in the car so forgive me if I get the names wrong .

squat shoulder press 35 lbs > 45 lbs

pushup still at bench level
    static lunge 10 lbs > 20 lbs

step ups 24 lbs > 30 lbs (bench level)
    dumb bell one point row 20 lbs down to 16 so I could work on my balance. still wobbly

wood chop 12.5 lbs I tried 17.5 pounds but my form is not that great. It's hard to keep arms straight with 17.5 pounds.
    plank 60 seconds!!!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I did workout B today for the first time. Holy smokes! I gotta feeling I'm going to be pretty sore tomorrow!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I did workout B today for the first time. Holy smokes! I gotta feeling I'm going to be pretty sore tomorrow!

YEP! but it is great and awesome to know. :happy:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Still having knee issues when doing the squat/push. It's only when I go *kitten* to grass it starts hurting.

Did rest my foot against the weight bench doing the one point row. Even that was a struggle! This program isn't made for people without a strong base level of fitness IMO. It's especially harder for obese people with what they require.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Lozze - we do that balance move in yoga and my instructor tells everyone to put their toe on the ground if it's too difficult to balance and that it still works just as good as having your leg in the air.
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Well, after my second A workout yesterday I can say a) I feel slightly more confident in the moves but I doubt I'll ever like the FSPP and b) it's a really hard workout!

I'm looking forward to B tomorrow, trying to do better on the side flexions and Cuban snatch moves...

I'm enjoying the DOMS, I must say!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    2B finished. sipping my protein and feeling the soreness creep in.

I only had to open the book a couple times to make sure I was doing the moves correctly. The reverse lunge was not as awkward this time around. Maybe because I increased the height on the step?

This stage is hard but I feel like I am doing more. I know I'm working more muscles this time around. I can FEEL it.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    3B finished today - I was totally dragging butt!! I've got to try to get my interval workout in this afternoon.

Deadlift - 95 lbs
    split squat - 18 lbs
    pulldown - 65 lbs
    reverse lunge - 15 lbs
    cuban - 10 lbs
  • jenniet04
    Options
    YAY - got my intervals in over lunch break.
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Does anyone do their FSPP with dumbbells instead of a barbell? I'm thinking it could be a good way to make sure I'm strengthening my left shoulder and not using my right to compensate for the weaker left. What do you think?