Stage 2

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I did B1 today and think I should've gone heavier on the lat pulldowns and wide grip deadlifts. I was able to do 50 lbs. on the pulldowns and 65 lbs on the deads without a problem . The Bulgarian split squats gave me a headache! Sucky balance, but I'm hoping it gets better.

are you including the weight of the bar in your deadlifts? it's 45lbs
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I did B1 today and think I should've gone heavier on the lat pulldowns and wide grip deadlifts. I was able to do 50 lbs. on the pulldowns and 65 lbs on the deads without a problem . The Bulgarian split squats gave me a headache! Sucky balance, but I'm hoping it gets better.

Sure did! I ended at 105 lb deadlifts in Stage 1, but thought I should lower the weight since I was off for a week and the whole box thing made me think it would be difficult. It wasn't! I'm actually considering going back to the gym later and trying for heavier. :laugh:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'll be here next Friday!!! I'm excited to start the 2nd stage.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble finding an explanation of the move "Front Squat / Push Press" in the book. What are you guys doing for it? *stage 2, workout A*

It would be awesome if you could find a video tutorial link, too. I am finding some but not sure if they are what is being suggested by the book - since I can't find the book's explanation. :(

The instructions for the front squat/push press are on page 180, beginning in the middle of the page. The illustration is on page 181.

Thank you. I have the kindle version so my pages are numbered very horridly. I will look for the video the other gal mentioned though!
  • lilRicki
    Options

Sure did! I ended at 105 lb deadlifts in Stage 1, but thought I should lower the weight since I was off for a week and the whole box thing made me think it would be difficult. It wasn't! I'm actually considering going back to the gym later and trying for heavier. :laugh:

one thing I'm going to try, is just 1 lift, the heaviest i can do it. I up my deadlifts tomorrow to 125, when i first started i tried 145 and couldn't get it off the ground at all, i'm just going to see if i've gotten any stronger lol
  • Phoenix59
    Options

one thing I'm going to try, is just 1 lift, the heaviest i can do it. I up my deadlifts tomorrow to 125, when i first started i tried 145 and couldn't get it off the ground at all, i'm just going to see if i've gotten any stronger lol

What weight did you end with when you completed Stage 1?
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hello peeps! Just started stage 2 today. I took a full week off to rest (didn't even do cardio! Felt like such a lazy butt.) and I've been eating at maintenance for the week as well. But can I just say that workout A kicked my ath today?!?! I don't know what normal starting weights are (or the average) so I went with what seemed like a good start weight but still gave a challenge. To be honest, the numbers seemed low to me given my ending numbers for stage 1 but the movements are so weird. I did a 13 min walk/run warm-up and that probably wasn't a good idea as I was alternating between walking 3.5 mph and running 6-8 mpg which pretty much tired out my legs (I'm NOT a runner).

Here are my starting figures:
    FSPP: Oly BB; 55 lbs (and my wrists were really hurtin' after that 2nd set but overall I actually really liked this move)
    Step-up: (only have a 12 inch box so am going heavier on weight, tried the trick I read about starting with both feet on the box and barely stepping down - wow, what a workout that gave!!!) 60 lbs (BB+15) each set
    DB 1-pt row: 20 DB each; 25 DB each (my legs were shaking this whole time too)
    Static lunge: 25 DB each; 25 DB each (holy smokes, that was killer on the quads)
    Push-up: 5 on toes, then 5 off the lowest setting on smith machine; all 10 on toes for 2nd set
    Plank: 60 secs; 60 secs (these don't bother me as I've been doing planks for awhile)
    Cable horizontal wood chop: I work out at home and don't have this attachment so I wrapped a band around my basement foundation pole and did it with that. Picked the hardest resistance I have, dunno weight for it. Awkward movement. Need to figure out how to do this on the floor (any videos out there?)

I get the feeling that workout B is gonna be even more killer. Oh boy...I'm whooped!!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Hello peeps!

FSPP: Oly BB; 55 lbs (and my wrists were really hurtin' after that 2nd set but overall I actually really liked this move)

Oly bar PLUS 55? you are amazing
    even if it is oly bar plus 10 (to equal 55) that is still awesome.
    I did 8 reps with the oly bar only and it was horrible. My wrists are not a fan of this move, and my balance is really odd for holding the bar on the front.

thanks for inspiring me to really push it harder for the next "A" workout! :drinker:
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hello peeps!

Oly bar PLUS 55? you are amazing
    even if it is oly bar plus 10 (to equal 55) that is still awesome.
    I did 8 reps with the oly bar only and it was horrible. My wrists are not a fan of this move, and my balance is really odd for holding the bar on the front.

thanks for inspiring me to really push it harder for the next "A" workout! :drinker:

Oh goodness NOOO! LOL Just Oly bar for the first set and then 2nd set with extra 10 lbs. The first set was not toooo bad on my wrists but the second set...ouch. I had to really shake 'em out and rub them before I could even attempt push-ups! They are fine now, however, so that's good!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I finished 2a workout 4 today. I went down on the front squat, back to 30 bc I dont think my form was ever correct on those. Everything else I made gains on though, but the step ups are still evil. I'm pretty proud of my 90 second feet elevated plank. Looking forward to finishing up b and starting stage 3 next week.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i love the front squat push press, but my right shoulder is the weakest link in that exercise. :sad:
  • lilRicki
    Options

What weight did you end with when you completed Stage 1?

I ended with 115lbs...up from just lifting the bar when I started (I didn't know what I was doing lol)...I'm hoping to lift at least 150 by the time New Rules is done. I know I can lift more than that if I work on it
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    i love the front squat push press, but my right shoulder is the weakest link in that exercise. :sad:

This is my least favorite exercise. I would rather do lunges! :frown:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Finished 2A4 last night. Final stats:
    Front squat push press 45-60
    Step up 40-60
    Push ups- on toes increased to sets of 12
    One point row- 5-15 sets of 10 on each leg. (I know it's supposed to be 5 but I like to push it.)
    static lunge 10 (5x2)-40 (2x20)
    Plank 30x2-60x1
    wood chop 30-70

I switched to the preweighted barbell for the step ups since it's really meant for the legs and not the arms. OMG it was so much easier. No balance issues not grip issues AT ALL! I was able to focus on form and really isolated those muscles. It felt great. I did one set overhand and one set underhand. Didn't really matter.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    This stage is really pushing the limits of my lower body! My bum and legs are crying, I love it.

Also my horribly weak core muscles are reminding me every second of the prone cobra, crunches, and planks. :( I really hope this makes me improve, as it is extremely uncomfortable and rather painful for much of it right now.

Finished 1B today!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    This group of super serious lifting guys has started going to the gym at the same time as me on Thursdays and I actually had to wait for an olympic bar to free up last night! My gym has four floating around and I've never had to wait before, it was bit frustrating and I ended up having to do my workout out of order. They all watch me to, like they're sizing me up (as in ability, not in a creepy way), looking at my weight amounts and whatnot. One guy just literally walked right up next to me and looked at the weight while I was doing my lat pulldowns! A bit odd, but i suppose I can take it as motivation to improve and impress them :smile:
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, but completed 2A today and it was just ugly. :frown: I did increase weight for my cable woodchops, however, everything else stayed the same. I absolutely DO NOT like front squash/push presses.:angry:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Finally back from my trip, going to see the chiropractor again today and hope it really helps my hip. After 2 weeks off, I'm really ready to start lifting again!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Well, I've finished Stage 2 and I will be starting 3 on Monday. I took most of a week off last week, so I'm going straight through.
    Final weights for 2B
    Wide deadlift 90-105
    Spilt squat 10-25
    underlat pull down 80-95
    reverse lunge 10-30
    Cuban snatch 10-20

I finally kicked off my shoes and I highly recommend it. The guy next to me did it too LOL. My new shoes made running a little easier, but the shins still hurt. I always feel like I'm getting off a boat when I get off the treadmill, tid bit of motion sickness.
    Best of luck to all the ladies in stage 2!!! Jen, I hope your appt went well and the hip is feeling better.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I did my first two workouts. Over about two weeks. I've been really, really scared of Stage B. And I really, really, really, really hated it. Both workouts focused a lot on balance and silly, silly movements. I ended up only doing one of the set of reverse lunges and cuban snatches as the cuban snatches are illogical.

I'm going to give it one more go round and see how I go but I really didn't enjoy either workout.

Have fallen in love with interval training though :)