Stage 2

Options

Replies

• BetterWithAge
    Options
    I started Stage 2 today after a much needed rest. My knees were feeling the squats after Stage 1. I realized that my form was off so I let myself heal (9 or 10 days off) and I felt great today. I used only the bar for the squat press, only because I wasn't sure what to expect. I REALLY could not get the bar on my fingers or get my elbows up. My wrists just aren't strong enough (gggrrr). I did the best I could and by the end of the second set, my arms were TIRED. I am sure glad I only used the bar. I thought I would do better on the planks since I can do 12 regular push ups in a row, but 20 seconds at a time was all I could handle. I did manage the full amount of time for each, but I had to break it dow into 20 second intervals. I still hate lunges and step ups. Overall, it felt great. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage 2, today. It was *not* my best performance....which is too bad, because I liked Stage 2.

You know, I ended up with 5 days between lifting this week and I do NOT think that was *favourable*....which REALLY makes me wonder why the rest periods are built into NROL4W SO OFTEN (i.e. excluding Stage 1, the stages are only 2.5 weeks long if you are lifting 3 x per week)??

Anyway, now I am REALLY FREAKED about what my trip to Hawaii will do with my "strength"....but, I truly cannot worry about that and I really want to just have some fun.

If I have to start at lower lifting weights, at Stage 3, then that's just the way it's gonna be. Hell, a few months ago I wasn't a lifter, AT ALL, so at least I've made ENOUGH progress to want to keep it up!!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I started Stage 2 today after a much needed rest. My knees were feeling the squats after Stage 1. I realized that my form was off so I let myself heal (9 or 10 days off) and I felt great today. I used only the bar for the squat press, only because I wasn't sure what to expect. I REALLY could not get the bar on my fingers or get my elbows up. My wrists just aren't strong enough (gggrrr). I did the best I could and by the end of the second set, my arms were TIRED. I am sure glad I only used the bar. I thought I would do better on the planks since I can do 12 regular push ups in a row, but 20 seconds at a time was all I could handle. I did manage the full amount of time for each, but I had to break it dow into 20 second intervals. I still hate lunges and step ups. Overall, it felt great. :)

I am sore today :)
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Just did my 3d workout A. I'm happy, I was able to up the weight on the bar for my front squat/push press, and I was able to do a good job with good form - and I felt pretty cool doing it. I'm still not going very heavy (18kg) but it's better than the measly 12kg I could barely manage on workout 1.
    I also increased my step ups but it "ruined " my grip for the rest of the workout and I wasn't able to increase any other weights - I even had to go down for a few.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don' t check in much, but I will try to be better. I started Stage 2 yesterday. The overhead squat push presses are tough! I need to work on the form some more. I can't seem to get the bar to sit on my chest/shoulders like it's supposed to. I'm doing something wrong. Any good instructional videos ladies?

I think I cheated myself on the pushups. I can do 25 regular in a row, but I did 4 sets of 10 instead of 2 sets of what should have been 25. I don't think I cheated, I know I did. I just HATE push ups so much! I think maybe I might try to do the 2 sets of 10 next time, but do declined pushups. I might prop my toes up on my step up box. My husband built me an awesome 15" step up box and a 4" box to do the special deadlifts on part B!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to my first B workout tonight! Just not sure what I'm going to do about the deadlifts from a box. My gym doesnt have any of the steps or boxes (aside from the benches) so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.... I might just drag the bar over to a regular step?

Im curious how long it takes everyone to complete B. It just looks like a lot more than A!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I completed B in under one hour.

I didn't do the deadlifts from the box - my rationale?? My form wasn't that great on ordinary deadlifts!! So, I wanted to keep working on the good form, with regular deadlifts, and leave the rest of it alone.

armaretta, be SURE that the step-up bench (box?) you are using is sufficient to get your leg into the right position (angle). I use a 20" bench - and believe me, it's hard and I don't lift a lot of dumbbell weight - but it has my leg at the right angle. (I also tried 22", but found that too hard on my knees).

I LOVE STAGE 2 AND SO WILL YOU!!
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't deadlift from a box either. I'm not lifting heavy enough just yet to merit adding ROM to my deadlift as the smaller plates ALREADY add ROM.

Amaretta, I'd just keep doing 2 sets of 10 pushups like it says in the program but go for a harder variation: feet on the step or even t-push ups.
    I do my pushups with my feet up on a step because I could do more than 10, too.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies! My quads are a bit sore today, so I might take an extra day for an easy run and do part B tomorrow.

Yes, my husband built me a wood box. I was using a milk crate for my step ups, but I was worried about the center collapsing on me. The 15" box is plenty tall enough for me as I am quite short, lol. I've been using 26lbs in each hand. I'm probably going to move to using the weight plates eventually. He's also building me a squat rack! Squeeee!!!!! I'm ridiculously excited about that.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Ladies, all you need for the deficit deadlift-deadlift from a box is couple of plates, like 1 45 under each foot and you will have deficit enough. Plus the wide grip is helping with the lats getting stronger.

Armaretta, let us know how the squat rack works after it's done! Such a great hubs you have!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    all you need for the deficit deadlift-deadlift from a box is couple of plates, like 1 45 under each foot and you will have deficit enough.

Didnt even think of using the plates! I used an actual small step at the gym and wasnt sure if I was doing it correctly - I will definitely try this next time.

The one problem I ran into at my gym was that they dont have a "box" to use for the bulgarian squats... I used the foot rest of a nearby machine, but didnt feel like I had the correct form with it. Also, I wasnt able to do the interval training at the end - yesterday was the day they decided to take out ALL of the treadmills (apparently they're getting new machines)! I must say, it is eerily quiet in a gym without the constant humming of the treadmills!
  • deninevi
    Options

The one problem I ran into at my gym was that they dont have a "box" to use for the bulgarian squats... I used the foot rest of a nearby machine, but didnt feel like I had the correct form with it. Also, I wasnt able to do the interval training at the end - yesterday was the day they decided to take out ALL of the treadmills (apparently they're getting new machines)! I must say, it is eerily quiet in a gym without the constant humming of the treadmills!

All you need for the Bulgarian split squat is somewhere to rest the foot-I use a bench or whatever machine is near by, like the seat for the lat pull down. All the work needs to be done with the foot on the floor. The correct form will come from the leg on the ground-parallel to the ground and you got the Bulgarian split squat done. I hate/love Bulgarian split squats!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi just finished reading right through. I did my first Stage 2 workout A today. Um mmmm..... not sure what I think about it yet. The front squat/push press was ok, very easy for legs but hurt my wrists and didn't like that.

Step up I enjoyed from stage 1 so happy they're in stage 2.

Dumbell 1 pt row - well I was all over the place (thank goodness its in my garage and not at a gym for everyone to see!!). Had to lower my weights to get the balance better, but still feel my leg wasn't high enough.

Push ups improved thanks to a weeks break and will try to go lower next time. Loved woodchops, I do them on my swiss ball and a dumbbell.

My NROLFW book arrived today and its much easier than trying to use my kindle :happy:

What I don't like is the length of the workout :grumble: and I know workout B is longer.

Can someone explain to me what superset means? Think Beeps mentioned she supersets the ab workouts to cut down on time.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    For the ab stuff it means you only take one rest period at the end of all the ab exercises, instead of after each one. Saves about 5 minutes or so, I think. I started doing it for the B workout in stage 3.
  • deninevi
    Options
    Hi just finished reading right through. I did my first Stage 2 workout A today. Um mmmm..... not sure what I think about it yet. The front squat/push press was ok, very easy for legs but hurt my wrists and didn't like that.

Step up I enjoyed from stage 1 so happy they're in stage 2.

Dumbell 1 pt row - well I was all over the place (thank goodness its in my garage and not at a gym for everyone to see!!). Had to lower my weights to get the balance better, but still feel my leg wasn't high enough.

Push ups improved thanks to a weeks break and will try to go lower next time. Loved woodchops, I do them on my swiss ball and a dumbbell.

My NROLFW book arrived today and its much easier than trying to use my kindle :happy:

What I don't like is the length of the workout :grumble: and I know workout B is longer.

Can someone explain to me what superset means? Think Beeps mentioned she supersets the ab workouts to cut down on time.

When you do one point DB row or anything on one leg, try to squeeze the glute on the side of the leg on the ground-helped me a lot with wobbling.

Superset means you do 2 exercises back to back with minimal to no rest-crunch on the swiss ball than right to prone jackknife than right to lateral hip flex. Hope this helps!
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Agthorn thank you for explaining five minutes makes a huge difference when times tight. Also thank you deninevi, and I shall certainly try squeezing my glute thanks.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I did 1B yesterday and I am soooooo sore today. It has been a bit of a challenge to do these exercises in the proper order due to the layout of the gym, but I managed. I am having a hard time with my grip and I sure can feel it today in my forearms.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    I did 1B yesterday and I am soooooo sore today. It has been a bit of a challenge to do these exercises in the proper order due to the layout of the gym, but I managed. I am having a hard time with my grip and I sure can feel it today in my forearms.
    Doing this one in the morning, I'm still a bit sore from workout 1A!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I am finally not sore... Bring on 2A tomorrow :)
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'll be finishing Stage 2 this week,I'm looking forward to starting Stage 3!:happy: