Online Dating

Options
mznisaelaine
mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
Ever tried it?

Thought about it...but not sure.......What are the pros and cons....good or bad experiences...etc,

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Worst experience for me: Finally decided to go on a date with this guy. We talked quite a bit beforehand, then on the date, he informed me that he still lives with his parents, smokes like a chimney, drinks a fifth a day, doesn't have a drivers license.. I know there were a few more things that he failed to mention beforehand.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    Worst experience for me: Finally decided to go on a date with this guy. We talked quite a bit beforehand, then on the date, he informed me that he still lives with his parents, smokes like a chimney, drinks a fifth a day, doesn't have a drivers license.. I know there were a few more things that he failed to mention beforehand.

Wait so you still went on a date with him after he told you those things?
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    He didn't tell me those things til we were ON the date..
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Mine was that the relationship fell into relying on electronic communication more than actual interaction.. email and texts are not a reliable means of communication.. trust me.. don't ask me to explain.. but it's just not.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have a profile on OKCupid, but even when I spell out my preferences (they are quite minimal... being within an hour of where I live, between 30 and 44, SINGLE, white, male, job, no drama) -- I always get matched up or hit on by guys that fall so far out of this realm. My preferences are my own, not anyone elses. I prefer to date caucasian men, that's my choice and I get harrassed because of this.. it's ridiculous. I just feel more comfortable in that situation. I don't go down to what color eyes, hair, height -- weight, I do ask that they be into healthy lifestyles like hiking, running, working out -- no spending hours upon hours online or tv playing games. And I definitely do not date smokers.

I had a guy recently tell me that he only came on the site to browse. So you spend all that time writing a profile, putting up a picture and don't want to date? So odd... my friend met someone via eHarmony. The price is rather high, so I don't know that I'd do that one. Anyone else have any stories, suggestions?
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I don't get why people go to dating sites in the first place. How many people are actually 100% honest about who they are, what they are, or what they look like. I think MFP offers so many opportunites to find other people that you may actually be interested in and share common ground with. If you start out as platonic friends, it can lead to a spark on here.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    yes. it's great for hook ups. awesome for people who work all the time and lead active lives and are looking for others in similar situations and with things in common with you. and it's terrible for the shy, or those with low self esteem.

i have no issue with it. it isn't 2001 anymore. things have progressed quite a bit since then, and frankly, i'd rather know a bit about someone before "approaching them" than seeing someone at the bar, having a semi-conversation tainted by alcohol and lust, and finding out later that they're married with 7 children or some such catsatrophe.
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Finding a date online is just the same as it is in the real world. You can either go it alone or hire help to choose for you. As for me I met my ex-wife and my ex-gf online. A word of advice though: set up a new email account and get one of those free txt/vmail apps. That way if he/she turns out to be an A-hole you have a way to cut them off without them having your personal info.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Well I have done the online thing and well my first date was a woman pretending to be a man (I didnt know) looked like a man sounded like a man.. had muscles. etc.. we met. still thought it was a man until she stretched and then I saw yep you guessed it boobs.. my mouth dropped and I guess I had a deer in the headlight look.. and she said I think I need to tell ya something.. umm hello you think?? Dont get me wrong I dont care about other peoples sexual preferences or judge anyone.. but be honest!

my 2nd the guy was married(didnt know) he was busted out in the restaurant by his wife!!!!
    my 3rd and LAST we clicked so well met at a coffee shop he didnt want the date to end it was kinda late.. so he suggested a movie.. I said ok.. during the movie he asked if he could kiss me (such a gentleman.. so I thought)... he kissed me and then put my hand on his crotch he had his whoooo ha out!! I was done.. I walked out ! so disrespectful...

That has been my luck.. not saying it wont work for everyone... but badddddd for me..lol
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I tried. Had zero luck. Managed to go on plenty of dates but nobody worth while. I will never try it again but I will also never knock anyone who does try.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    But I did get a bottle of wine for my birthday from a Nigerian Scam Artist. True story!!!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Well I have done the online thing and well my first date was a woman pretending to be a man (I didnt know) looked like a man sounded like a man.. had muscles. etc.. we met. still thought it was a man until she stretched and then I saw yep you guessed it boobs.. my mouth dropped and I guess I had a deer in the headlight look.. and she said I think I need to tell ya something.. umm hello you think?? Dont get me wrong I dont care about other peoples sexual preferences or judge anyone.. but be honest!

my 2nd the guy was married(didnt know) he was busted out in the restaurant by his wife!!!!
    my 3rd and LAST we clicked so well met at a coffee shop he didnt want the date to end it was kinda late.. so he suggested a movie.. I said ok.. during the movie he asked if he could kiss me (such a gentleman.. so I thought)... he kissed me and then put my hand on his crotch he had his whoooo ha out!! I was done.. I walked out ! so disrespectful...

I'm at a loss for words!!!! What experiences!!! :noway:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people go to dating sites in the first place. How many people are actually 100% honest about who they are, what they are, or what they look like.

For example, who's to say that sexy back picture is actually Jttaylor99's back? I mean, it could be *anyone's* back! :laugh:
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I don't get why people go to dating sites in the first place. How many people are actually 100% honest about who they are, what they are, or what they look like.

For example, who's to say that sexy back picture is actually Jttaylor99's back? I mean, it could be *anyone's* back! :laugh:

This is true, for all you know I could be Fred Flintstone in desquise..muhhaaaaaaa.
    But to prove it I will take a side pic that shows the tattoo and my incredibly small biceps.
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I don't want to get all technical but the last time I check my anatomy and physiology book, women have whoo-has and men have thingies. So are you sure you did not date a fauxman...again :tongue:
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    Such not so good experiences.....But then yesterday from my MFP friends, I got so many good stories about how they met ther SO online......Like JT said, MFP has good oppurtunites! I've witness that already.....I so wouldnt mind finding someone like-minded on here....Found a few but the reality of the situation is not equitable. :/
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    lmao to funny... that made me giggle :)

I don't want to get all technical but the last time I check my anatomy and physiology book, women have whoo-has and men have thingies. So are you sure you did not date a fauxman...again :tongue:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    No luck at all with any of them.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I too have tried the online dating sites but didnt have much success. My last straw was when my ex-husband joined the same dating site as me and we were matched.... no thanks!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I do online dating. I don't think it's the best way to meet people, but I just don't know how else to do it :indifferent: .

Best experience: Met someone who I had unbelievable chemistry with. I was crazy about him and he was crazy about me. Pure magic. We dated for 3 months, but broke up because he moved out of state.

Worst experience: closed out a guy because I wasn't attracted to him. He didn't realize that I had removed him. He took my picture off the site and posted it on Craigslist that he was trying to find me because I was "the perfect girl for him." I never would have found that post had a friend not stumbled across it. This was a few years ago, so I didn't even know what Craigslist was. I reported it and it was removed. A couple of days later, he posted another one. I reported it again, it was removed and he was blocked from the dating site and his posts were blocked from Craigslist. Still, pretty creepy.