Stage 1

Options

Replies

• elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start this afternoon. Would it make sense just to start with body weight?

I haven't done squats before with weights, just body weight ones in various aerobics classes at the gym.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm back! Man, my 2-week trip to the states threw me off big-time. I've been so jet-lagged that even though I've been home for more than a week I haven't had the energy to get back to lifting. I've just upped my cals to TDEE though....I've finally accepted the fact that I've treated my body terribly and need a metabolic reset. After only one day of fueling my body properly and getting enough sleep I'm full of energy and ready to work out again. I'm considering just starting all over in Stage 1 now. I'd only gotten through 5A when I had to take my break, and I feel like I lost all the progress I had made in those weeks. Any suggestions?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start this afternoon. Would it make sense just to start with body weight?

I haven't done squats before with weights, just body weight ones in various aerobics classes at the gym.

You can do whatever you are comfortable with. I did BW for my very first A workout. I found that I was much stronger than I realized once I actually tried the weights. You can always attempt it with just a bar or a 20lb DB and see how it goes. You can always increase/decrease however you feel is necessary.

Ebaymommy, welcome! It makes me nauseated just running a mile- you have my full admiration for being able to run a marathon "for fun".
    EPcooper, I think I'd just go to the gym and see how I felt. If you really thought you needed it, maybe start at 4A or something to get yourself back in the swing? Hope your trip was great!

I do AMRAP (B) tomorrow and I will be officially finished with stage 1.
  • elg1982
    Options
    You can do whatever you are comfortable with. I did BW for my very first A workout. I found that I was much stronger than I realized once I actually tried the weights. You can always attempt it with just a bar or a 20lb DB and see how it goes. You can always increase/decrease however you feel is necessary.

Thanks!

There's a trainer at my gym who approached me about a month or two ago when I was on one of the machines. She said "You should be doing freeweights. Would you like me to teach you some squats?" I said "not today." But I found her yesterday and took her up on it. I also asked her about proper dead lifting technique in case I can't find her when iI want to do my B workout.

I did the squats with a bar.

I have done seated row and step ups before so those were good.

I can't do a regular pushup, so I did a 60 degree wall pushup, and I hope it's a step on the journey to the real ones. Because that would be awesome.

The prone jacknife was kind of fun, but I couldn't figure out how to do them all the way. My body was only bent about half of what is shown in the picture. Maybe that will also improve with time?

I was really surprised at the intensity of the workout. I was kind of worried the beginning exercises would be too easy and then there would be a steep learning curve and I'd find Stage 2 or 3 too difficult. But this was just right. I am so happy. Pleasantly sore today, will go on a short jog. I know how he feels about cardio, but I don't want to lose my conditioning (and I really like Zombies, Run!). I might switch to a shorter cardio workout on the stair climber because the ones in my gym have intervals similar to what is recommended in the book.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Glad you figured it out and liked it! From the examples of prone jackknife that I have seen on YouTube, they just recommend bringing your legs up as far as you can. Focusing on going out to full plank position is emphasized. Full extension and control is key to doing it correctly. I never end up with my butt up in the air as it shows in the book.
  • elg1982
    Options
    I was too sore to run, but I did the stair climber on a low setting for 30 minutes. Ready for the next lifting session!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Update :smile: From start to now (A6 and B5)

Squat - 11lb dumbbell in each hand -> 45lb barbell
    Pushup - wall pushups barely able to do 5 -> 15 on low partition wall
    Seated row - 35lbs -> 55lbs
    Step ups - 11lb dumbbell in each hand -> 38.5lb barbell
    Prone jack knife - couldn't even get on or stay on ball -> can do 15 with decent form

Deadlift - 45lbs (struggled doing 1) -> 72.5lbs (3x10)
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 8.8lb dumbbell each hand -> 27.5lb barbell
    Widegrip lat pulldown - 40lbs -> 60lbs
    Lunge - 11lb dumbbell each hand -> 27.5lb barbell
    Swiss ball crunch - body weight -> 8.8lb medicine ball on chest

I have B6 to do tmorw. Am so excited to see how much higher I can go on the deadlifts, I think I could have gone heavier on Monday but my hands were slipping so much it was annoying me to buggery.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nice increases Lottie!

Y'all! I screwed up and didn't change my reps to 8 for workout 7A. Dammit. I can't decide if I should repeat it or just say screw it. The perfectionist in me is freaking. I realized I was doing the wrong # of reps during my second set of step-ups. WWYD?
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing with the reps and I just moved on. No biggie.

I hated the special workouts. Just when I got comfortable being in the weight room, I started doing the low weights/max rep thing which we are taught is not to do the rest of the program and I felt like an idiot standing there pumping out 50 dead lifts in a row. Some exercises I did 100 reps and stopped. Enough was enough. Anyone else uncomfortable doing that many reps in front of people?
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Im about half way through stage 1. I am working out at home and am having trouble lifting heavy on the legs as I need my H to help me take the bar off my shoulders after. I cant push it back up again safely after the lunges/step-ups or squats. Am I missing a trick or is this just a downside to not having a rack?

I am hugely impressed by how much many of you are lifting btw!!
  • danielle5243
    danielle5243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else struggle when going from 2 sets to 3 sets? I felt like a lifting rookie!! I was stumbling off of the bench for my step ups, and felt sooo sloppy while trying to find the strength to get through my push ups. Someone please tell me it gets better!! I was super excited to get to Stage 2 and new workouts, but I'm suddenly nervous after one stinkin extra set of the exercises (I thought) I had mastered kicked my butt sooo badly! UGH!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else struggle when going from 2 sets to 3 sets? I felt like a lifting rookie!! I was stumbling off of the bench for my step ups, and felt sooo sloppy while trying to find the strength to get through my push ups. Someone please tell me it gets better!! I was super excited to get to Stage 2 and new workouts, but I'm suddenly nervous after one stinkin extra set of the exercises (I thought) I had mastered kicked my butt sooo badly! UGH!

Oh yea! big time! And I just switched the step height to 14" on the stepups and owie! I had to go down in weight for that too! I was just saying to Jo today that I don't feel ready to go on to Stage 2, but I guess the whole point is to do what I can here in Stage 1 and then move along to Stage 2 and new exercises. I think the perfectionist in me wants to be doing pushups perfectly on the floor and squatting more than I am etc.

Athena, I don't have my rack in a usable position yet and I've been using dumbbells and holding them at my shoulders! It's much harder wtihout the rack I think. I don't put anything into the rack after I'm done, I leave my weights on the floor pretty much. But are you saying you are struggling with the amount of weight you are doing for the exercises or only that you can't put the barbell back up in the rack? I don't use the barbell for my stepups or my lunges, I use dumbbells and they are pretty light still.

GsMama I think he changed it to 8 so we could up the weight again, so if you did that and still did 10 reps, then you're that much
    ahead of the game I would say.

Lottie, are you using gloves or chalk? If you're in a gym, there should be chalk somewhere in the weight room and I highly recommend you get some gloves! What a huge difference in holding more weight!

I do 6B tomorrow too. I'm going to bump up to 80 on the deadlifts (I hope!) and I'm going to TRY 75 on the lat pulldowns. I hope I can do more with lunges too but I fractured my left ankle back in Feb, and it's stronger but still feels wobbly sometimes. I keep pushing it, but get nervous when I lose my balance! I may try the barbell with my shoulder presses, I've been using dumbbells! Easier with the barbell?
  • danielle5243
    danielle5243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would image it might be a little bit easier since you wont have to balance two seperate weights. I force myself to use dumbells because I know that my left arm is significantly weaker than my right and I want to make sure it's getting the work it needs to build up. I'm afraid my right may end up doing most of the work and I'd still have a puny little lefty.
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Everyone progress is SO hugely impressive!! I've only completed Stage 1 workouts A & B and feel so puny compared to everyone else :blushing: but we all start somewhere....just did B today and it was really hard!! :tongue: Much harder than I expected...I did the deadlifts with 20 lb dumbbells cause I have an appt on Saturday with a trainer @ my gym to really learn how to properly deadlift. It was super-hard @ 20lbs so now I'm scared to do the much heavier barbell...Yikes! :embarassed:
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 1 on Friday

A
    Squats- 20kg to 55kg (45lb to 121lb)
    Push ups- 2x 15 reps done on a 30 degree incline 
    Dumbell bent over row ( no cabel station) - 5kg Dumbells to 40kg barbell (11lb to 90lb)
    Step ups - 7.5kg Dumbells (16.5lbs)to 10kg dumbells (22.5lb) to 5kg dumbbells (11lb)  onto weight bench  
    Reverse crunch -2x15 
    Prone jacknife- 3  to 15

B
    Deadlift- 20kg to 55kg (45lb to 121lb)
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 2 x 5kg Dumbells to 2 x 7.5kg Dumbells ( 2 x 11lb to 2 x 16.5lb)
    Wide grip lat pull down - 20kg to 30kg ( normal weight bench as seat) (45lb to 66lb)
    Lunges - 2x 7.5kg Dumbells to 2x 11.2kg Dumbbells- 22.4kg ( 2 x 16.5lb to 2 x 25lb)
    Swiss ball crunches- body weight 12 reps  to 5kg (11lb) medicine ball in hands stretched out. 

Weight loss 3lb
    Inches lost- TBC laptop being fixed and the info is on there.

Amcanzo- as long as you progress through the stage I don't think it matters how much you are lifting as long as its a challenge for you :)

I got myself some gloves and my hands are so much better now :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Everyone progress is SO hugely impressive!! I've only completed Stage 1 workouts A & B and feel so puny compared to everyone else :blushing: but we all start somewhere....just did B today and it was really hard!! :tongue: Much harder than I expected...I did the deadlifts with 20 lb dumbbells cause I have an appt on Saturday with a trainer @ my gym to really learn how to properly deadlift. It was super-hard @ 20lbs so now I'm scared to do the much heavier barbell...Yikes! :embarassed:

Don't worry, I think you'll find you progress quickly! It's not about how much you lift, but that you hit the form and challenge yourself!

FBB those are some significant increases and you lost weight too! awesome!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Ok, so I think I am in the right place :) I am on Stage 1, #7 A & #6 B.

Here are my stats so far:
    SQUATS: 65lb. - 110lb.
    PUSH-UPS: BW on floor - T on floor (I *heart* push-ups...crazy, I know :)
    SEATED ROW: 20lb. - 32.5lb.
    STEP-UP: 20lb. (24" box) - 30lb. (24" box)
    PRONE JACKKNIFE: found this to be on the easier side but have been trying to make it harder by having just my toes on the ball and pulling in as far to my chest as possible (I'll be glad when these are over...I feel like everyone at the gym gets a great shot of my *kitten*)

DEAD LIFT: 45lb. - 115lb.
    DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS: 12lb. - 20lb.
    WIDE-GRIP LAT PULLDOWN: 70lb. - 75lb.
    LUNGE: 15lb. - 25lb. each hand (total weight 30lb. 50lb.)
    SWISS BALL CRUNCH: BW - 12lb. medicine ball out stretched

I can already see and feel a difference in my body. I took before pictures and measurements!! I CAN NOT wait to see the differences in pictures when I am all done. I know I have a ways to go until I am done this program but I am excited...if you can't tell ;)
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!. I think I've got one more workout of A and B and then the AMRAP. And then a week long break. I'm not seeing much change bodywise yet. I think I have too much to lose to see it yet. I do think there is a more tightened look to me, but no inches or pounds lost. I am still working on the "right" deficit, though, so that may be a factor. My strength, on the other hand, has definitely gone up so thats a win. I will post stats when I finish my last 2, before the AMRAPs. Keep up the good work.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

I'll give my stats for weights now, but I'll post my measurements/BW change later.

Squats: 20lbs---->95lbs
    Push-ups: Knees---->Floor (although I can improve on form)
    Row: 60lbs---->100lbs
    Step-ups: 12lbs--->75lbs (on 13in step)
    Jackknife: Sloppy 8--->15 with good form

Deadlift: 65lbs--->135lbs
    DBSP: 12.5lbs--->25lbs
    Pull-down:70lbs--->100lbs
    Lunges:BW--->65lbs barbell
    Swiss Crunch: BW x8 --->25 lbs plate with good form x15

Looking forward to AMRAPS next week!

Ok, so here's my measurement changes for stage 1:
    Chest: -1"
    Waist: -2.5 inches
    Hips: -1"
    Thighs: -1"
    Weight loss: 3lbs
    Overall I am happy. It's hard to not see t he scale moving when I see others on MFP dropping 2lbs a week. I have to remind myself it's not about the scale. Keep at it ladies!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Here! I suddenly felt like someone added a ton more exercises, when it was only marginal. But still...HARD.