Stage 1

Options

Replies

• TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Excited for pictures! I had my hubby take some yesterday to be compared at the end of stage 1 along with measurements. I don't currently see a difference and my clothes don't fit any different yet but hubby has been feeling on my back and commenting on my muscles ;).

My right IT band is a ***** and makes my knee hurt. I haven't been sore enough (I like to hurt) so I added 10 pounds to my squat yesterday S1WOA4 and 5 pounds (total) to my step ups. Yeouch! My squat form suffered a lot. I will have to back off the weight a bit I think. I am really excited to do 3 sets of everything soon!
  • TheGsMama
    Options
    Well today I will be doing 8A of stage 1 - I am looking forward to this stage wrapping up as I get bored easily and need to switch things up.

I have noticed that in my squats and deadlifts I have doubled my initial weights, so happy about that.

As for my deadlifts, I still think I may be doing those not 100% correct as my gym does not have an olympic bar - we only have a straight curl bar, works the same I guess, just shorter.

Have a great day.

I used a shorter Oly bar at my gym that last time I did deadlifts. I didn't want to take one of the bench presses and that one was by itself. It is 5 feet I think. I had to google it to the get the weight of it (30#).
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    High five for Cowgirl! So glad it's not just me that has numpty moments at the gym!
    Was 7B today just 2 more workouts left!! Did my full sets and reps with 110 on my deadlift, I just have to use a regular straight bar too. Also got a problem that my gym doesn't have many plate weight and I can fit no more on! Smith machine may be my only alternative!
    Upped my lat pull downs and my lunge weights this week, pretty happy with my lifting day!
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Total weightlifting newbie here. I've only done Stage 1, 1A & 1B, going today to do 2A. I'm so freakin sore after each one! I do think the shakes make a difference because 1A I forgot to drink one, after 1B, I had one and wasn't *as* sore. The stairs to my apartment were still killer though.
    I'm excited to do workout 2A today! When I started doing MFP I had cut my calories down to about 1200 a day. After reading this book I bumped them back up but I've been going a little nuts and noticed that my new clothes I bought are getting a little tight again :( So, my goal is to do the weight workouts 3x a week and Cardio 3-4 times a week (HIIT or Yoga.. loooove yoga :))

I'm having a surgery done Aug 1 and I want to get in shape before that. I have to have some fibroids removed. I guess I'll be laying on the couch for at least a week or so and I don't want to feel like a fat blob laying on my couch all week!!

It's really encouraging to see all the posts. We are in this together!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 1 last week and so far I'm loving it!

Here's where I've started from

Squat - 5kg dumbbell in each hand
    Pushup - using railing around upper level of gym
    Seated row - 35lbs
    Step ups - 5kg dumbbell in each hand
    Prone jack knife - A1 could'nt even get on or stay on ball, A2 managed the 2 sets of 8 (now need to work on form)

Deadlift - 45lbs (bar alone) I really struggle with these and really need to work on form
    Dumbbell shoulder press - B1 set 1 5kg dumbbells in each hand, had to go to 4kg for 2nd set because nearly dropped the 5kgs on my head.
    Widegrip lat pulldown - 40lbs
    Lunge - 5kg dumbell each hand
    Swiss ball crunch - body weight, need to work on form

I completed B2 today and upped the widegrip lat pulldown to 45lbs, stuck with 4kg's for the shoulder presses (I never realised how much weaker my left arm is compared to my left!) . The deadlifts seem to be killing me though, I did the 1st set fine, then struggled to get past 10 reps of the 2nd set. I just can't see ever adding more weight to it :ohwell:

I'm doing A3 on Wednesday and am going to go to 10kg barbell for squats and add 5lbs to the seated rows. Will probably do the step ups with a 10kg barbell too.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    LottieLou, you and I are in the same boat. I completed B2 this morning. I did better with deadlifts than last week, and was able to stay on the ball during all the cruches, lol. I'm noticing my shoulders are the weakest, though. The dumbell shoulder presses and lat pulldowns are the hardest, followed by lunges.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In need of opinions:
    I am set to do my last workouts for each A & B. The last time I was able to get to the gym was last Thursday. I probably won't be able to get there again until tomorrow or Thursday. Should I just count this as my week off, do my last two workouts and jump right into stage 2? I took on a job for the last couple of weeks and between that and my kids it's been impossible to get my workouts in outside of the home!!
  • TheGsMama
    Options
    In need of opinions:
    I am set to do my last workouts for each A & B. The last time I was able to get to the gym was last Thursday. I probably won't be able to get there again until tomorrow or Thursday. Should I just count this as my week off, do my last two workouts and jump right into stage 2? I took on a job for the last couple of weeks and between that and my kids it's been impossible to get my workouts in outside of the home!!

OR You could add in another set of A&B workouts and then take a week off. Is it just the AMRAP you need to do?
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In need of opinions:

OR You could add in another set of A&B workouts and then take a week off. Is it just the AMRAP you need to do?

Yeah I forgot about the AMRAP's, I still have to do 8A, 8B & the AMRAPs so I guess I will just do them when I can get to it. I would still like to take a week in between to push hard on some cardio. I would like to lose a couple pounds before Stage 2.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    In need of opinions:

Yeah I forgot about the AMRAP's, I still have to do 8A, 8B & the AMRAPs so I guess I will just do them when I can get to it. I would still like to take a week in between to push hard on some cardio. I would like to lose a couple pounds before Stage 2.

I think if you're really wanting to get that week off to get a good number on the scale, you should just do the workouts when you can like you said. Then take your week off. Congrats on being so close to the end of Stage 1- hope you can post your stats!

Doing 6B tomorrow. Looks like it will be another 4:30 am workout as hubby is working late and can't watch the kids unless I go before he leaves for work. Ugh. I am NOT an early morning person.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Total weightlifting newbie here. I've only done Stage 1, 1A & 1B, going today to do 2A. I'm so freakin sore after each one! I do think the shakes make a difference because 1A I forgot to drink one, after 1B, I had one and wasn't *as* sore. The stairs to my apartment were still killer though.
    I'm excited to do workout 2A today! When I started doing MFP I had cut my calories down to about 1200 a day. After reading this book I bumped them back up but I've been going a little nuts and noticed that my new clothes I bought are getting a little tight again :( So, my goal is to do the weight workouts 3x a week and Cardio 3-4 times a week (HIIT or Yoga.. loooove yoga :))

I'm having a surgery done Aug 1 and I want to get in shape before that. I have to have some fibroids removed. I guess I'll be laying on the couch for at least a week or so and I don't want to feel like a fat blob laying on my couch all week!!

It's really encouraging to see all the posts. We are in this together!

Good luck with your surgery. I think you'll find you heal faster being in good shape. Welcome to lifting! Many of us are new at this.
  • LottieLou13
    Options
    Just completed A3 today I upped my seated row weight and went from 5kg dumbbells for squats and step ups to 12.5kg barbell across my shoulders

Squat - 5kg dumbbell in each hand ---> 10kg barbell (1x15reps) then 12.5kg barbell (1x15reps)
    Pushup - using railing around upper level of gym ---> went down a rail (1x8reps), then 1x15reps on upper rail
    Seated row - 35lbs --> 40lbs
    Step ups - 5kg dumbbell in each hand --> 12.5kg barbell (2x15reps)
    Prone jack knife - A1 could'nt even get on or stay on ball, A2 managed the 2 sets of 8 (now need to work on form) --> 2x10 reps much easier to get on and stay on ball

Can't believe I'm increasing the weight already. Feels so so good! :happy:
  • TheGsMama
    Options
    Just completed A3 today I upped my seated row weight and went from 5kg dumbbells for squats and step ups to 12.5kg barbell across my shoulders

Squat - 5kg dumbbell in each hand ---> 10kg barbell (1x15reps) then 12.5kg barbell (1x15reps)
    Pushup - using railing around upper level of gym ---> went down a rail (1x8reps), then 1x15reps on upper rail
    Seated row - 35lbs --> 40lbs
    Step ups - 5kg dumbbell in each hand --> 12.5kg barbell (2x15reps)
    Prone jack knife - A1 could'nt even get on or stay on ball, A2 managed the 2 sets of 8 (now need to work on form) --> 2x10 reps much easier to get on and stay on ball

Can't believe I'm increasing the weight already. Feels so so good! :happy:

Awesome Progress! I am going to try the barbell for step-ups tomorrow.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ugh...

I did workout 3A this morning - the first time I've lifted in a week!! OY I felt like a weakling!

Squats - 25lbs (I don't have a squat rack at home, and I've changed from goblet squats to holding 2 dumbbels at my shoulders) - increase weight for workout 4A
    Pushups 1st set at 24" lost form at 6 2nd 4ft with good form
    Bent over barbell rows - 1st set started with 60, did 4, dropped weight to 50 for the rest
    Step ups - 25 pounds did 15 each set instead of 10 and I need to do 2 things - increase weight, and buy a real step. My stairs are too narrow to do these
    Prone jackknife - killed me but I maintained good form, and really felt it in my belly - couldn't roll back and off the last one, just rather collapsed on the floor!

It wasn';t
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    LottieLou and Suelegal, sounds like great progress! It's always fun to increase the weight on an exercise.

I can't believe I do 7A tomorrow. Scares me a bit as I'm not sure I'm ready for stage 2. I'm just getting used to stage 1.
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    5b today after work. My shoulder press progress is fustrating still on (7.5kg) 16lb Dumbells. But now on (50kg) 110lb with my deadlift.

Hope everyone is progressing well through stage 1.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I just did my first workout today - Stage 1 A.

I did 45lbs (just the bar) for my first set of squats but it wasn't too tough so I upped it to 50lbs for the 2nd set. I feel like I can go up more in weight especially when the reps drop.

Push-ups I did regular ones on the floor but in hindsight I should have done a slight incline because by the last half of the first set and the full 2nd set I wasn't able to keep my elbows in so my form wasn't the best.

Seated rows I did 80lbs first set, not too hard so upped to 90lbs for 2nd set. I can go up on these too, I think.

Step-ups I felt optimistic (I have strong legs, I'm a marathon runner) and grabbed 50lbs (25 in each hand) for the first set. Made it through 12 reps and then my arms (not legs) were killing me so I switched to 40lbs for the remaining 3 reps and for the entire 2nd set.

Prone Jackknife - I've done these quite a bit before, 8 was not a big challenge. I will increase reps next workout.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Did my 6th workout this morning. I didn't go up too much in weight because last weeks weights were still a bit difficult. I replaced the deadlift with the Romanian deadlift after reading about form and how you shouldn't do the regular one unless you are able to use the 45lbs weights. Makes sense, my lower back isn't aching this time.
  • LottieLou13
    Options
    Last night I did B3, I changed the deadlifts to Romanian deadlifts as there was nothing to put the bar up on. Found these much easier this way. May even add a small amount of weight to the bar when doing the B work out next on Wednesday.

Deadlift - 45lbs (bar alone) --> Romanian deadlifts, kept at 15 reps 45lb bar alone
    Dumbbell shoulder press --> no progress still struggling to get the full 15 reps with 4kg dumbbell in each hand :grumble:
    Widegrip lat pulldown - 40lbs --> 50lbs (was 45lbs at B2), did 15 reps x2 sets by mistake
    Lunge - 5kg dumbell each hand --> 12.5kg barbell across back 15 reps x2 sets
    Swiss ball crunch - body weight, need to work on form --> 3kg medicine ball on chest 10 reps x2 sets

I can't believe I've added 10lbs to the lat pulldowns in just a week....feels amazings. I love that I'm getting the hang of the deadlifts a bit more too. Today is a rest day and I just want to go to the gym and lift heavier and heavier weights. 2nd weigh in tmorw morning since starting, lets hope the scale and tape measure are kind! :smile:
  • danielle5243
    danielle5243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!! I just completed A3 today!! I feel like i'm really getting stronger! However my gym only has fixed weight barbells, dumbbells, and a smith machine. :( I need an alternative for my Deadlifts. The fixed weight barbells only go up to 60lbs and I know i can lift substantially more! Does anyone have a advice or suggestions?