Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my Squat Rack this weekend,we ended up buying one off someone. So,now my hubby doesn't have to make one.

I'm just a tad bit excited to get it all set up!

Ooh, I'm excited for you, Shyloh!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

It's going to kill me not to lift next week...Did anyone not take a week off,before they started Stage 2?

Read his "terrible confession" on page 126...

I've had various trips + 1 mini-injury slow me down, so I think that's break enough for me.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm using a 20" bench. (Sometimes 22"....which is probably not that great for my knees!)
    Same here.

All of you are lifting heavier than me. I began this program struggling to squat to a chair with no weight. Today I did full squats with 10 kg so happy with my progress. My left shoulder is stronger than my right, due to overuse injury in right, so I press 5kg with no problem on the left but wobbly away on the right lol.

Weight wise my diet has been terrible but only gain a couple of lbs this month. When I worked out the calculations deducting fat% off total weight to get lean body weight I had gained 0.75lb in muscle so v. happy with that!!!!!!

Keep posting girls its all really helping :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

It's going to kill me not to lift next week...Did anyone not take a week off,before they started Stage 2?

Read his "terrible confession" on page 126...

I've had various trips + 1 mini-injury slow me down, so I think that's break enough for me.

Thanks,I'll have a look at it!:flowerforyou:
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Wow Jamk and Beeps, those steps are high! I'm using my 2nd stair, which is 13" high, and of course a slight forward motion. my weight bench is 20" high, maybe i should try that next time. Didn't realise I should be going higher.

Cgrout we are on similar weights, and I am also having shoulder trouble, progressing on all lifts except the shoulder press, stuck on 6kg (15lbs). Last time i just did an extra set.

Rest day today and i have lots of energy, home from work, now zooming round the house tidying stuff up!! 1-4B tomorrow.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    deadlift day for me again!!! Last week the guy that helped me with my deadlift had me doing the romanian one where you keep your legs straight, so I suppose today I need to study youtube to find me a right form. the deadlift is SO HARD for me!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    It's true that there's nothing in NROL4W about "bench height" (for step-ups). I gathered evidence from all the youtube videos I've been watching.

Long-term, it's WAY more important to get good form down, with a higher bench height, then to go up-up-up in (DB) weights on a lower-step.

I'm long-legged, so my trainer also put me on a 24" step. I didn't like that - and my hips went WAY out wonky (with NO DB weight, at all).

Plus, form is REALLY tricky on step-ups. Now that I've watched all these videos, and read TONS of threads (on other forums), I see how "easy" it can be to *cheat* in this move. Are you SURE you aren't pushing off with your back-leg? Are you SURE you are engaging your glutes on the working leg??

All of these are "form" problems (and I've had them all). I've dropped my DB weight WAY back, and work on getting onto a higher and higher step. 20"-22" for me is the right height. I'm only using 10 lb DB because (I think) I'm still using too much of a push-off my back leg. If I want to strengthen THE right body parts with this exercise, then I need to make sure I have THE right motion. When I went with heavier DB, I lost my form everytime.

(I do think I'll get to 12.5 DB this week or next week, though.)
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Jenlwb, try the bench but if it doesn't work for you, don't sweat it. I have long legs, a shorter step isn't much of a challenge. If you feel too unstable or it hurts your knees move back down to your 13" step.

Cgrout78, I struggle with regular deadlifts, too. I find Romanian DL's to be easier, regular ones feel alien and I really have to concentrate on my form when I'm doing them.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    thanks to you both :flowerforyou: I think i'd better stick to my 13" stair cos my hips don't feel too stable (minor osteo-arthritis) when balancing on one leg with weight. I get paranoid and imagine it popping out to the side, even tho i'm sure it won't! I forgot about not pushing off from my back foot, i'll pay more attention to that next time to get the form perfect.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's true that there's nothing in NROL4W about "bench height" (for step-ups). I gathered evidence from all the youtube videos I've been watching.

Long-term, it's WAY more important to get good form down, with a higher bench height, then to go up-up-up in (DB) weights on a lower-step.

I'm long-legged, so my trainer also put me on a 24" step. I didn't like that - and my hips went WAY out wonky (with NO DB weight, at all).

Plus, form is REALLY tricky on step-ups. Now that I've watched all these videos, and read TONS of threads (on other forums), I see how "easy" it can be to *cheat* in this move. Are you SURE you aren't pushing off with your back-leg? Are you SURE you are engaging your glutes on the working leg??

All of these are "form" problems (and I've had them all). I've dropped my DB weight WAY back, and work on getting onto a higher and higher step. 20"-22" for me is the right height. I'm only using 10 lb DB because (I think) I'm still using too much of a push-off my back leg. If I want to strengthen THE right body parts with this exercise, then I need to make sure I have THE right motion. When I went with heavier DB, I lost my form everytime.

(I do think I'll get to 12.5 DB this week or next week, though.)

Yes! When I first started (I am unsure of how tall these steps are, I'll look tonight at the gym) it was way to tall. My form was horrible. I am not on the smallest step they have that I'd approximate to be around 13in with 10lb DB. I felt like it might be too small and couldn't find much in the book about it. Thanks for the help!

Tonight is deadlifts for me too! I think I've been doing pretty well on food but I haven't weighed myself and am trying to wait till I finish Stage 1 to do so.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I use a bench for the step up, which is plenty high for me. I am 5'3"
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    So I felt a little frustrated earlier but after some honest assessment and reflection I realized that 1. I'm expecting to much to soon and 2. If I haven't seen any progress it's my own darn fault.

I have been making great progress on increasing my weight when I lift, I just want to start shrinking! :D I haven't been very good with my eating (to many calories and way too many carbs on some days.) I had been fluctuating based on what I was logging. ETA: I was frustrated because I'm not losing weight, no shrinking happening and some of my measurements actually grew a little bit! I don't know if I just measured poorly when I started or if it's just swollen muscles but it didn't send me to my happy place!

So here is what I'm thinking of doing; the book says I should eat about 1650 on non workout days and about 1950 on workout days (higher on super active workout days). Or I can chop 300 off those numbers for weight loss. Now I do want and need to lose weight but I did P90X and I'm pretty sure I over trained with that one. At the end I felt so tired and worn out and I just couldn't seem to up my numbers. So with NROL I am really wanting to build strength which means I'm not really willing right now to drastically cut my calories. Plus I like food. :)

I currently have my calories set at 1550. This is a little less than the number recommended but a little higher than the calorie reduced plan. I do taekwondo two times a week (on two of my weights days) so I was thinking those days I'd eat about 1950 since TKD is quite the calorie burner. Do you guys think that will be a good plan that will allow me to slowly lose weight but not hurt my strength gains? I plan to try it for a month and see what happens. I'm all for adjusting when necessary. For the record I'm about 180 and over 40 so I don't get as many calories as you younger ladies with faster metabolism :(

Thanks for your input.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I did Stage One Workout A3 today. I upped the weights on everything because I knew I'd be doing less. I hurt all over.

I usually get everything I need together before I start as I don't usually have a lot of time. I did the same today, upping my step up weights by only 1kg. I go off for however long it takes to do the 12 seated rows, 45 seconds at the most and come back to find a woman has taken them and has them by her but not using them. I wait and watch and she's then starts doing sit ups.
    So I go and get the 7kg weights instead. I find out I can do those for 12, which is almost to failure. It makes me glad she borrowed the 6kg ones.

It's interesting to read what you guys are talking about with the step ups. I'll have to watch my form on the step ups.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Waiting for my book to arrive. In the mean time I started my program about 4 weeks ago, but I'm isolating lower body and upper body. I kind of like doing it that way and wondering if I really need to switch. Here are my workouts:
    Sunday: 45 minute swim
    Monday: 10 minute elliptical warm up; 3x15 squat, dead lift, leg extension, leg curl, leg lift, standing calf raises, jumping squats, (and that crazy thing where you squat down, jump into a push-up, back to squat and up again) jack knife
    Tuesday: off or 20 minute elliptical
    Wednesday: 2 minutes of jumping Jacks for warm-up; 2x12 seated row, lat pull down, bicep curl, triceps pull down, bench press, shoulder press; ZUMBA!
    Thursday: off
    Friday: 15 minute elliptical warm-up; 2x12 seated row, lat pull down, step up, dead lift, push ups, prone triceps extension, crunches from different angles.
    Nutrition is 1450 on off days, 1600-1800 on workout days
    Lost 9 lbs and 1 pant size :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    oops, add lunges to monday and bent dumbbell row to friday.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I did 75 on the deadlift tonight...but...my form seemed off, so I'm going to stick with that for a while. I HATE LUNGES. I just...flat out suck at them. I don't know if i should shorten my stride or what, but I just can't get them very low.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I did 75 on the deadlift tonight...but...my form seemed off, so I'm going to stick with that for a while. I HATE LUNGES. I just...flat out suck at them. I don't know if i should shorten my stride or what, but I just can't get them very low.

I suck at lunges too. I'm wobbly and not very coordinated. Just do the best you can. I am trying to keep the faith and think that my form and lunge will get better over time, though I do not think I will ever truly enjoy them.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Knee Pain???

So - I've been very gradually uping my weights... I just finished Workout A-3... and I'm only at 45 lbs for my squats. My problem is - at that weight my left knee felt "tweaky" when doing squats. Not quite pain - but that kind of "pressure before pain" feeling (and not the good kind). The worst thing is that I don't feel the squats in the rest of my body - so it's like wasting that exercise because I'm thinking my knee is not ready for that weight - but the rest of my body is!

My plan (for now) is to stick with the same weight until my knee feels comfortable and then start moving my squats up again... what do you guys think????

(PS - OMG - I was SO not using a high enough step for my Step Ups! Thank you guys for talking about that here!!!)
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Did A2 yesterday and think I mastered the prone Jacknifes- I didn't fall off the ball this time anyway!

I find that the Workout B definitely hurt more the next day- must be from the deadlifts.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Knee Pain???

My plan (for now) is to stick with the same weight until my knee feels comfortable and then start moving my squats up again... what do you guys think????

Yes, frustrating as it may be to not increase the weight, wait for your knee to catch up.

Did A2 yesterday and think I mastered the prone Jacknifes- I didn't fall off the ball this time anyway!

Congratulations!