Stage 1

Options

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was much stronger on my deadlifts than my squats - I could do 145 lbs on the deadlift and only got to 95 on squats by the time I finished the program.Now I'm working on a new program to help me build up weight in both areas and I hope to surpass those numbers by a large amount in the next couple of months.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    i read on the bodyrecomposition website that a general target for serious lifters could be 300 bench 400 squat 500 DL-

I'm a little newbie to heavy weights, so i'm currenly the same for each (26kg/67lbs after 4b). But i have the same prob as Knittnponder- I'm at home, no power cage, and my squat rack is not the best. I think my DL will go higher as my squat will be limited. That's ok!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. @grapenutSF-I was wondering if my muscles were imbalanced too. It seems like there is quite a bit of variation out there. I'm just going to continue to do my best. I want to try to get my deadlift closer to my squat numbers, but we'll see.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Just "WOW" at the general targets for serious lifters, Jen!!!!!

At this point, I'd like to be able to lift my body-weight on both DL and squats. And, once I can do that, I'll aim for BW+50, or some such thing. Because I have NO GOOD SENSE of how LONG it will take to get to these types of "goals", I just keep plugging along, believing it's out there, somewhere.

....and, in the meantime, I set smaller goals to achieve (like push-ups, chin-ups, blah, blah, blah).
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Beeps, i suspect those targets are for men with some chemical assistance!

I have a query- i MAY have been doing the step-ups wrong. The book is not clear, but between each rep do you also take the active leg down to the floor, or does that stay up on the step for the whole 10/12 reps? I had been totally stepping down both feet until now.

I also paid more attention today to using ONLY the active leg and not pushing off from the back foot- Way harder!! Will be sticking with 2 x 8kg dumbells for another session methinks.

Still loving this :love:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

I have a query- i MAY have been doing the step-ups wrong. The book is not clear, but between each rep do you also take the active leg down to the floor, or does that stay up on the step for the whole 10/12 reps? I had been totally stepping down both feet until now.
    I like this version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqApCGd5Ss
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I was much stronger on my deadlifts than my squats - I could do 145 lbs on the deadlift and only got to 95 on squats by the time I finished the program.Now I'm working on a new program to help me build up weight in both areas and I hope to surpass those numbers by a large amount in the next couple of months.

I'm stronger on deadlifts too...i am doing 75 deadlift, but only 65 squats...
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I need a new gym. They have ONE bar there and it's only 5 ft. No squat rack, they seem to be out of vogue here, arghs.

I'm starting my 1B tomorrow.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i did my first set of squats on the smith machine because I was scared of using the squat rack and a REAL bar...but then I decided to balls up and just do it. I'm lucky that my gym is pretty tricked out, and has 2 of each, but it's a ymca and so they have pretty much everything.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dude, I used the smith rack today. I liked it but hope to switch over to the regular rack in the next couple of weeks. :)
  • Jenlwb
    Options

Thanks Grapenut, that's really good. Turns out i'd been doing it wrong :ohwell: Not anymore! Interesting about the thigh no higher than 90 degree angle, if i had gone higher than my 13" step it would be too high by her standards. And my knackered hips would probably dislocate :wink:

Deadlift day tomorrow, gonna try to get it more than my squat weight.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    One of the reasons NOT to take the feet back down to the floor before repeating a step-up is the BALANCE issue. If you have to keep re-positioning your foot on the bench, you really might be affecting your balance. So, I don't keep re-positioning my foot. Once my foot is on the bench, it's on the bench for the duration of the set.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Sounds good Beeps. Also feels less like a 90s step class too!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Thanks Grapenut, that's really good. Turns out i'd been doing it wrong :ohwell: Not anymore! Interesting about the thigh no higher than 90 degree angle, if i had gone higher than my 13" step it would be too high by her standards. And my knackered hips would probably dislocate :wink:

wow - I've been doing them wrong this whole time too! Oops!! looking forward to doing them CORRECTLY tomorrow! haha
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I was dumb this weekend. I wanted to move the couch to vacuum underneath so employed my boyfriend to help. I figured it wouldn't be hard, just like a deadlift! The first time we moved it it was fine. But the second time, as soon as I got up I knew I had done something wrong. I had back spasms all night. That was Saturday, I am feeling better though still store. I am hoping to start lifting again on Wednesday. Do you guys think 5 days is enough?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hmmmm, backs are a TRICKY thing, sarah. Maybe go and see the chiropractor or a physiotherapist, first.

And, are you icing it?? Try to ice it for 10 minutes, every hour.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have to do step-ups, today, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to retreat to a smaller step. I am going to try STARTING on the top of the step and then go, DOWN/UP to avoid ANY "pushing off with back leg". I'll keep dumbbells in my hand, for balance. But, I bet anything, my hip is gonna swing WAY out to the side....which is MY sign that my glutes are doing NOTHING and my tendons/ligatments are being overworked.

We shall see. But, this is my fear for today.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm a sports therapist in the UK, where abouts are you feeling the pain in the knee?

Right around my kneecap - like to either side of the kneecap itself. I'm doing WB3 today so I'll see if it happens again (it happened in lunges the last workout). It's not really "pain" yet... really just a negative feeling more like pressure then pain. It just makes me nervous to push the weight up any more in those exercises - but, in the squats - I'm not "feeling it" anywhere else...
    Lunges utilise the adductor magnus muscle (inner thigh), whereas the squat does not. You may find these are excessively tight and feel tender when pressed. When we stretch we are good at stretching the quads and hamstrings but not always the adductors. Tight adductors can also lead to lower back ache (although you haven't mentioned this, its just some added information :wink:). Tight adductors can be pulling the knee out of balance causing the pressure around the kneecap itself, so can tight hamstring and quads. Hope this helps.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I was dumb this weekend. I wanted to move the couch to vacuum underneath so employed my boyfriend to help. I figured it wouldn't be hard, just like a deadlift! The first time we moved it it was fine. But the second time, as soon as I got up I knew I had done something wrong. I had back spasms all night. That was Saturday, I am feeling better though still store. I am hoping to start lifting again on Wednesday. Do you guys think 5 days is enough?
    Hi Sarah I'm a sports therapist in the UK. Definately ice the area for 3 days, then replace that with heat after 72 hours. If you think its muscular (not disc related) gently incorporate back stretches (google these for ideas) and try to keep as mobile as possible. Can you get your boyfriend to massage the area after the third day. Heat area first for 5 mins, then massage concentrating on tender area) then heat again. Only exercise if back feeling a lot better, but going to a lower weight just for that days workout. If all ok return to new weight next time. Hope this helps. If in doubt on the day leave to next appointed day. Keep stretching as much as you can.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you Beep and Gillee!

Beeps - It is something I have done before, years ago and it feels the same. I don't feel the pain warrants a doctor's attention, I just think I need to lay off and give it time to heal.

Gillee - I am positive it is not disc related and I have been icing. I was planning on starting heat therapy today and just do a little cardio. Starting again with lower weights is a good idea, and something I was already thinking about.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

I am more dissapointed than anything I have to take an early break. I was actually starting to see small results in the waist area and I loved rate at which I was progressing. Rather be safe than sorry and make anything worse.