Stage 1

Options

Replies

• ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I did A5 on Friday - and B5 today... and realized I hadn't moved up when I did A5! LOL (as in... I did another round of 2x12 instead of 3x10)... so now I'm adding an extra A5 in. DUH! :)

Feeling great!

Keep going ladies! I'm only 1/2 through the first stage... but for the first time in my LIFE I can say "Bring on Tank Top Season!!!" No, really - I'm sick of the cold weather... :laugh:
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Jen, I'm the same with the shoulder presses! I started out with 10lb/4.5kg dumbbells and am still using them 6 workouts later. I managed to get one set in with 15lb/6.8kg, but on the last couple of reps, I could barely get them over my head. Glad to know I'm not alone! :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new here.
    I've been lifting weights for a year or so. I used Charlene extreme and then started various other weight training things.

I wanted to start using this.

I have a question (I searched the threads and couldn't find an answer).

My gym doesn't have swiss balls to do jackknives. What could be alternative to doing the jackknives at the gym?

I plan on starting tomorrow.

Thanks!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't have swiss balls to do jackknives. What could be alternative to doing the jackknives at the gym?

I would think reverse crunches, or reverse incline crunches. They are listed with jack-knifes in the book.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I've just done day 1 of Stage 1. Would love to hear from anyone else just starting out. I'm working out at home, and only have dumbbells & swiss ball, but who knows, I might get sucked into buying a bar. It was strange really, on the one hand I found some of the exercises really quite difficult, but on the other hand I somehow felt I hadn't done enough when I finished (I'm used to working out at full steam with Jillian Michaels et al). I hopped on the stationary bike for 30 minutes afterwards - is that very wrong of me?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I was glad to see that even after a week off so early in the programme that it didn't have a huge impact on my workout today.

I'm a little concerned about my calorie intake. I just got a fitbit and it turns out in general that I burn more than I think I do. Today with the gym included I burnt an extra 1113 cals on top of my usual 1850 cals. There's no way I can eat that much, especially on days like today when the time I have to eat and prepare food is really limited.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just finished my second set of workouts. I HATE lunges so much. I'm so uncoordinated with them. Ugh.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've just done day 1 of Stage 1. Would love to hear from anyone else just starting out. I'm working out at home, and only have dumbbells & swiss ball, but who knows, I might get sucked into buying a bar. It was strange really, on the one hand I found some of the exercises really quite difficult, but on the other hand I somehow felt I hadn't done enough when I finished (I'm used to working out at full steam with Jillian Michaels et al). I hopped on the stationary bike for 30 minutes afterwards - is that very wrong of me?
    I'm interested in hearing about that too! I'm starting tomorrow, at home, and I've previously done P90x, and it looks like it's a "short" workout. I'm going to emphasize form and see how heavy I can go, but I guess I'm just not used to such a "simple' workout!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Wow did day 1 today, workout 1A. I used the bar to squat for the first time, and the rack, or whatever it is called, was very helpful... almost too helpful. I was shocked that could do the bar +20.

I was in an out of the gym in 45 minutes, including a good 10 min warm up. Is that typical? Also, how much weight do you typically add each workout. I know it'll be different for everyone, but I'm wondering how far to go.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was out if the gym today in just over an hour. That included 20 on the treadmill and a shower.

If you can add more and still keep form then keep adding. I tried adding an extra 2kg to my lunges (the 12kg bells weren't available) but I'm dropping down to 10kg. My firm is terrible and I'm struggling with them.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    Just finished my second set of workouts. I HATE lunges so much. I'm so uncoordinated with them. Ugh.

I know that feeling I hate them.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Oh and thanks to the person who posted the step up video. I was doing them wrong too. I just assumed that's how you do them because a trainer had someone doing it the way I tried. Live and lean.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    7A down, 3 workouts to go before the AMRAPs! I really like it now it's down to 3 sets of 8, makes it way easier to increase the weights. Can't get my butt much lower than my knees on 30kg squats, but I think that's ok? I went down another stair on the pushups too, hands now on the 1st stair, and they're sets of 8 so it's do-able!

I was v sorry to see this stage is not the end of the step-ups, my hips hate them, and they really highlight the imbalance between L/R strength. Which is probably the point!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    7A down, 3 workouts to go before the AMRAPs! I really like it now it's down to 3 sets of 8, makes it way easier to increase the weights. Can't get my butt much lower than my knees on 30kg squats, but I think that's ok? I went down another stair on the pushups too, hands now on the 1st stair, and they're sets of 8 so it's do-able!

I was v sorry to see this stage is not the end of the step-ups, my hips hate them, and they really highlight the imbalance between L/R strength. Which is probably the point!

You're really on your way!

On squats, parallel or just past it is perfectly fine. I'm probably going to strive for ATG as I go along, but my knees are old and cranky, so we'll see.

I remember being so proud when I finally made it to the floor for pushups. Congrats! And don't slack on the step-ups...it is meant to fix dominant/non-dominant discrepancies. Give 'em hell!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hi

First week of stage one here and Im up to workout B. I'll be lifitng three times a week

I am an experienced lifter so I found it quite strange when my forst workout on Monday was all done within 25 minutes rather than the 45-60 minutes that Im used to doing.

I left the gym feeling like I hadnt really worked much at all but OMG the day after and today (third day) I have some serious DOMS happening ladies so it must be a good workout.

Looking forward to workout B today! I cant wait to get to the gym. Im even clock watching lol
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    I gotta make my way back into the free weights area tomorrow. EKK!
    I'll have to see if I can use the rack to squat in because I think I need to up the weights there too.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Jen, I'm the same with the shoulder presses! I started out with 10lb/4.5kg dumbbells and am still using them 6 workouts later. I managed to get one set in with 15lb/6.8kg, but on the last couple of reps, I could barely get them over my head. Glad to know I'm not alone! :)

Try standing with one leg back a little bit. That give you more support. Also if you are really struggling sit on a bench with the back of the bench supporting your back for a few sessions till you gain strength
  • samntha14
    Options
    Does the Smith Machine neutralize the weight of the bar. Now that I think back on it, I didn't feel like I was enough of the " work". I have a hard time just picking up the bar normally, like for deadlifts.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Does the Smith Machine neutralize the weight of the bar. Now that I think back on it, I didn't feel like I was enough of the " work". I have a hard time just picking up the bar normally, like for deadlifts.

I don't know that neutralize is the right word but it does take away some of the effort. When you lift on your own, you are lifting and balancing in more than one plane, you are doing the work to lift the bar and correcting with your muscles to keep it there. The Smith machine does some of that work for you, the bar can only move along one plane. That's why you are encouraged to get away from the Smith if you have the option, you will benefit more without it. But if that's what your gym has, you have to work with what you've got.
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    Hello! I just finished my second workout of 1A. It was so hard for me today! I couldn't do as many push ups as the first time and I really struggled with the squats at the same weight (20 lbs). I had to decrease a couple reps on those. Boo...

I'm wondering if anyone knows why when I did the prone jackknife today the ball kept going lower and lower toward my feet. They were great the first time. :/

Hope you are all well!

Jamie