Stage 1

Options

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Ok so today I did my first day of workout B. I had to change gyms because my old gym didn't have a squat rack/power cage or a proper olympic weighted bar.

It was really hard. My glutes are going to be kiling me tomorrow, those lunges nearly did me in. I tried my deadlift with a total of 65 lbs, and that was pretty heavy. I wasn't certain that I was lifting or bringing the bar back down properly so it took me forever to complete those.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    PS - my step-ups SUCKED today. (Oh, and I should post this on Stage 2, lol!!)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    So I decided to drop my lunge weight down to 5 pound dumbells, but i could touch my knee to the ground, so I consider that to be progress even with the lesser weight. On the bright side, I got my lat pulldowns up to 70, but kept my deadlift at 75 just to make sure I wasn't going to hurt myself for another session. I'll up it to 80 i think next time.

I can't get over my improvement seriously. I was looking through a sporting good ad this weekend and they had a bar and weight set, where the max was 100 lbs and I was like...I'll be doing more than that soon...how kick *kitten* is that????
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Badgerbadger- that's a helluva start weight, don't be afraid to go back down while you perfect your form. You'll soon get back up!

Cgrout, that's good news. I actually bought one of those sets when i started a few weeks back, barbell, 2 smaller dumbell bars and weights totalling 50kg (110lbs) thinking that would do me, but I'm already using over half of this after workout 5A! The bar itself only weighs 6kg and is not rated to carry more than what comes with it.

Think i might have to find a gym anyway, i don't have a power cage and my squat rack is flimsy. I'd feel safer doing it at a gym when things get heavier... I do love the convenience of home tho, and knowing i don't have to wait to use any of the equipment!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I did my first workout today. I've started the program before but due to time constraints had to stop. Can do it three times a week. After finishing I did C25K week 2. Much harder after weights! Then discovered some *kitten* had stolen my shampoo and conditioner out of my bag so I've felt gross all day!

The weights were a bit easier so will have to I'll them next time!

Is there an app for this program?
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Nope. I "facebooked" Lou Schuler (well - NROL facebook page) and asked that. :(
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a "what would you do" question... I have one Stage 1A workout left to do before the two AMRAP workouts and then I'm done with Stage one. Unfortunately due to some scheduling conflicts, I have not done a lifing workout since last Thursday. Should I just pick up where I left off and finish the stage as scheduled? or would you add an extra one in for good faith? I just dont want to be un-prepared for moving on to Stage 2...

This may be a silly question (because I kind of feel like I should just continue as scheduled), but thought I would ask for a second opinion :blushing:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd just carry on with scheduled lift. They tell you to take a whole week off before starting stage 2 for your body to recover, so obviously you don't lose any muscle strength in a week. I'm not far behind you, have 1 A workout and 1 B workout left then doing AMRAP before week off and starting Stage 2.

Really upped my weights on Monday and was too sore still to lift today so I'm doing it tomorrow. As I sit here this evening I am less sore than this morning and have had my full quota of protein today.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I skipped the AMRAP work-outs, anyway....if it were me, I'd do your last Stage B workout, skip the AMRAP and go straight to Stage 2....you've had your "week off", already!

Believe me, getting through Stage 1, with all those (nasty!) reps in the first work-outs, has you MORE than prepared for Stage 2. Only 2 sets of 10 reps on the exercises. You'll be AWESOME.

(Oh, and I'll announce my *bias*....I'm on Stage 2 and it's still a bit LONELY over on that thread, although carrie joined today!)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Nope. I "facebooked" Lou Schuler (well - NROL facebook page) and asked that. :(

I used a free app called "Workout Log" (real original right?!) It doesn't do it for you automatically but after input my exercises beforehand, it was easy to use in the gym. Since we use the same exercises for the whole stage - its not like I have to enter it EVERY time.

It was some graphs too to show you how much your lift weight changes over time.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Beeps may miss AMRAP also, especially as I started squats with no weight and only half way to a chair. Today I did full squat with 12 kg on a bar and thought I'll be there all day doing half squats for AMRAP!!! Really keen to get to Stage 2. This mornings routine was a chore if I'm honest and ready for a change. Just one more B workout to do.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I did Workout B. lifted too heavy and didn't double check the program. I'm sure I was doing dead lifts wrong. I ended up doing tricep pull downs by mistake. And I had to stop a couple of times before I could go on. The lunges I did with 12kg dumbbells and the hardest bit was my balance!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I started a "daily chat thread" here at NROL4W group....so, it doesn't have to be specifically related to NROL4W. It's just that we've built such a LARGE community, here, I'm finding it TOUGH to follow everyone around the threads and keep up.

So, thought this "daily chat thread" would be an easy way to keep in touch with all mfp-NROL4W friends!

Come post!
  • sherrisloan
    sherrisloan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question. I did stage1a workout on Tuesday, should I do B on Wed. or wait till Thursday to do B?
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question. I did stage1a workout on Tuesday, should I do B on Wed. or wait till Thursday to do B?

i think it recommends never lifting on consecutive days as that's when the muscles build themselves. Leave a day and catch up on sat!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Jen's got it right....you want at least 48 hours between strength work-outs (when working the same muscles....and NROL4W is a total-body program, not a split-set program). So, make sure there is one (rest) day between your work-outs.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Yep definately leave a day to rest inbetween workouts. I was my sorest at A1 and B1, probably because I went from never doing weights before to lifting. Beeps thanks for friends request glad to be your buddy :happy:

My elbows are sore today :grumble: tried press-ups off the floor yesterdaywith bent legs and boy they were hard, manage them. Went back to using my freezer. I just don't seem to be progressing with press-ups:ohwell:

Have a great day everyone. My last B workout on stage 1 tomorrow then having a week off before Stage 2. Definately not bothering with AMRAP on stage one.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Beeps - I'll be joining the Stage 2 thread next week! I decided to skip the AMRAP just because (like you said) I basically already had a whole week off anyways. So I will be starting Stage 2 on Tuesday! I'm really excited to keep this momentum going!
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good Luck you guys!!

I just passed the 1/2 mark in Stage 1... and I'm SUPER excited today!!! Thanks to that FANTASTIC squat video on utube (I can't remember who posted it originally - but I moved it over to the video thread) I did squats today with my highest weight with NO KNEE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!! Wow... proper form sure helps! LOL.

Still in love with NROL4W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gillleeman
    Options

I did squats today with my highest weight with NO KNEE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!! Wow... proper form sure helps! LOL.

Hey well done, great success :happy: