Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    All sounds so very good, ladies....keep it up!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Good Luck you guys!!

I just passed the 1/2 mark in Stage 1... and I'm SUPER excited today!!! Thanks to that FANTASTIC squat video on utube (I can't remember who posted it originally - but I moved it over to the video thread) I did squats today with my highest weight with NO KNEE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!! Wow... proper form sure helps! LOL.

Still in love with NROL4W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent report :smile:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Did my secon Workout A today. Felt really good! I'm adjusting my weights as on this workout I went way low. Can still probably do higher weights on some. (especially since my reps go down next time)

Will have to find that video as my knees have pressure when I do squats.

I do have a question on the bar. I don't count the bar weight but they say in the book to use the 45 pound barbell. My gym has weights up to 35kg on bars that I am currently using (squatting 20kg but will be going to 25kg when I go up) I use them as it's easier to just grab them but do I have to use the big bar on the squat machine? I know I'll end up there eventually but at this point I'm more comfortable with the pre set bars.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Did my secon Workout A today. Felt really good! I'm adjusting my weights as on this workout I went way low. Can still probably do higher weights on some. (especially since my reps go down next time)

Will have to find that video as my knees have pressure when I do squats.

I do have a question on the bar. I don't count the bar weight but they say in the book to use the 45 pound barbell. My gym has weights up to 35kg on bars that I am currently using (squatting 20kg but will be going to 25kg when I go up) I use them as it's easier to just grab them but do I have to use the big bar on the squat machine? I know I'll end up there eventually but at this point I'm more comfortable with the pre set bars.

The most helpful video I watched was called "So you think you can squat" Its LONG like 3-4 sections. But it covered a whole lot!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Officially finished stage 1 today. Not going to do AMRAP just take the week off. But boy I feel I need a rest, everything is aching and sore (but in a nice way). Jumped on scales this morning 1lb gain but only half of that was fat according to my fat monitor so better in a way :ohwell:

Will read back later, sorry just popped on before next client arrives. My thumbs even ache today :laugh:
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Bump for the new thread!

I'm having my weekly day off. Still enjoying this, but looked ahead to the later workouts, looks like there aren't any regular squats after this!! Boo. Might have to work them in.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Doing A4 today - gonna be adding some more weight to the barbell for those squats!
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    So I did my first workout on Thursday (yay!). I really liked it and had my brother there to help me with form and stuff. I was sore yesterday, but today I am REALLY REALLY REALLY sore! Wow! Definitely not doing workout b today. I can barely move. haha! I am really excited about the program though. Thank for all the advice posted here ladies! It has been super helpful!!
  • keiraev
    Options
    Bump for the new thread!

I'm having my weekly day off. Still enjoying this, but looked ahead to the later workouts, looks like there aren't any regular squats after this!! Boo. Might have to work them in.

I don't think there's any reason why you can't add some in.

I am currently doing leg press in addition to the squats in Workout A and planks in addition to the Swiss Ball crunches in B just as a couple of extras.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why people are adding or removing things from the workouts? I really don't understand why. I bought the book because I want a program that will help me and is done by experts. I can't afford a PT. These guys are experts in their fields and their books are well regarded. I don't feel the need to change things because I figure they know a lot more than I do.
  • keiraev
    Options
    Can I ask why people are adding or removing things from the workouts? I really don't understand why. I bought the book because I want a program that will help me and is done by experts. I can't afford a PT. These guys are experts in their fields and their books are well regarded. I don't feel the need to change things because I figure they know a lot more than I do.

I don't find that for example, 2 x 8 or 10 crunches on the ball was enough ab work if I am only doing it 3 times a week so I do some planks at the end, I didn't think it would do any harm. The jacknifes on the other hand I feel are sufficient.

I haven't taken anything out tho.
  • Jenlwb
    Options

I'm certainly not removing things. I'm finding the book is aimed at complete beginners, and while that suits me for the weights, i find the ab work less than challenging too. So, like Keira, I also increase the ab work, I do more jacknifes and I add weight to the swiss ball crunches. I'm pretty sure the experts wouldn't have a problem with that! (Edit: esp since increased core stength helps with all the program)

Later on I might incorporate a set of regular squats when they are no longer a part of the program, because they're one of the big 2 lifts and i don't want to go backwards on my progress there.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Like you Lozze a complete beginner and happy with what the book gives me. I'm not knowledgeable enough to alter the workouts in anyway. Perhaps if I decide to do this book at a later stage with more knowledge I'll make some adjustments then, but at the moment I'm just excited to see how my body changes shape first time round.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been away forever but I've only had to take a week off after only doing six workouts. Such is life.
    I'm back at it tomorrow, so how have people found it when they've had to take a break so early?
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Gaaaaahhh I am still having a nightmare with the dumbell shoulder presses. After SIX workout Bs, I've barely progressed. I started with 6kg per side, only managed around 10 reps right from the start. This time I added wrist weights to make it about 6.7kg per side, but still struggled! The only difference is i'm only supposed to do 10 reps now. all the other moves are increasing nicely.

Help me lifters, you're my only hope!!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Gaaaaahhh I am still having a nightmare with the dumbell shoulder presses. After SIX workout Bs, I've barely progressed. I started with 6kg per side, only managed around 10 reps right from the start. This time I added wrist weights to make it about 6.7kg per side, but still struggled! The only difference is i'm only supposed to do 10 reps now. all the other moves are increasing nicely.

Just like you I'm not having fun with them. I have to go up 1kg in the gym to move up and I can barely do three at 7kg. I've decided that when I'm getting into the 3 sets, I'll do the first two at 6 kg and then do the last set at 7kg or visa versa.
  • gillleeman
    Options

Just like you I'm not having fun with them. I have to go up 1kg in the gym to move up and I can barely do three at 7kg. I've decided that when I'm getting into the 3 sets, I'll do the first two at 6 kg and then do the last set at 7kg or visa versa.
    We all have our weaknesses, mine are push-ups, just not progressing at all. My shoulders are also different strengths my right shoulder is weaker to my left (due to chronic injury) so I press lop-sided, left arm flies up, right one struggles behind lol
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    G, i think you should put your pushups on youtube! Mine aren't great either, probly related to my shoulder crappiness.

I guess we'll all keep at it!

Thanks gals.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I am sad that Stage 1 is over for me , but excited to move on. :)
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Jen, I don't have any advice to offer, but know that I also struggle like crazy with the shoulder presses!