Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    bluesunshine- were your feet slipping, or just your position changing? If they weren't slipping, maybe you started out with hands slightly in front then moved your shoulders over your hands later. If you're a beginner I'd start with knees on the ball, then later you can start with lower shins for a more challenging movement.

Vickypollard- thanks, it does help with the staggered feet. Stops me pushing hips forward as i lift!

Samantha14- hope they have a squat rack, of all the gyms I've seen here, they all have smith machines, but nowhere to put a barbell (that's why i improvised one at home). If you have to lift it over your head to start with, you won't be able to do a bigger weight!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I got to the gym at 6.30am today to do my workout because of work reasons I can't make it for a couple of days and didn't want to miss out.

5A was a lot more challenging- when you start to do the 3 sets of 10. I found the step ups particularly hard. I did the first set with 8KG dumbells but had to switch back to 7KG as I was struggling.

I did add more weight to the bar for squats though, I did 34KG including the bar & now feel quite comfortable using the rack:smile:

It was weird going to work after working out this morning but I felt pretty good- it properly set me up for the day!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hello newbies and welcome.

I'm so envious of you all, I am HATING my week off :cry: :cry:

Roll on Saturday:happy:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ah just realised posted on wrong thread, but still feel a stage 1er lol.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Anyone have pushup advice? Are you doing the inclined pushups? I've been doing them on my knees (I know, I know!), but it's so hard to do the inclined pushups in my tiny gym without being totally in everyone's way. No Smith machine, unfortunately.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Anyone have pushup advice? Are you doing the inclined pushups? I've been doing them on my knees (I know, I know!), but it's so hard to do the inclined pushups in my tiny gym without being totally in everyone's way. No Smith machine, unfortunately.

Maybe do them in the changing room using the bench for your hands and don't bend your knees? I use my stairs at home, I started with hands on the 3rd stair up, and slowly worked my way down, currently on the 1st stair.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Maybe do them in the changing room using the bench for your hands and don't bend your knees?

Oh my god, brilliant. Plus, I'll have some privacy. I'll look strange, but I'm used to that.

Thank you so much!
  • bigbugboo
    Options
    Hey there

I've just completed level 1 of NROLFW. I started Level 1 on 8th January, and completed on 20th February. I have to say that I'm delighted with the results so far. Here are my stats:

SW: 144.5, CW: 142.5.
    Bust: 39", Now: 38".
    Midriff: 32", Now: 31.5".
    Waist: 32", Now: 30.5".
    Hips: 36", Now: 36".
    Thighs: 20", Now: 20.5".
    Calves: 14", Now: 14.25".
    Biceps: 10.5", Now: 11".
    Forearm: 9.5", Now: 9.5".

In addition to these measurements my butt is also higher and more shapely, but I have no definitive way of measuring that, apart from pics, lol
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    BBB, that's awesome! Did you measure body fat / muscle mass too?
    My 1 month results are on my blog on here if anyone wants a peek.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I had to take last week off because my back was tweaky (from something else, not NROL). I've mostly got the kinks worked out so I did a 1A yesterday fully intending to stop if necessary but I didn't need to. Actually, I felt pretty good and even upped my squats to 85. Getting up this morning was to be the test; felt better than I have in two weeks! I've been waking up very stiff and sore in the back area but after working out yesterday I woke up feeling pretty good.

I've only got one more 1A and two more 2A workouts then AMRAP and I noticed that a few of you are skipping the AMRAP. Is this workout not really necessary then? Just a "progress report" so you can see how far you've come? If that's the case I think I may go straight into Stage 2. I've really stretched Stage 1 out with being sick and then the back thing so I'm really ready to move on!
  • bigbugboo
    Options
    BBB, that's awesome! Did you measure body fat / muscle mass too?
    My 1 month results are on my blog on here if anyone wants a peek.

I didn't measure body fat or muscle mass. I did try using calipers myself but without much success. Not sure what other methods I could use. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

PS. I don't live anywhere near a gym so am training at home.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    bigbugboo....GREAT stats! Good for you!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    BBB - That is fantastic.

I'm back! I was only going to take 5 days off due to my injured back, but it ended up being a week and half off since we went to Disneyland. I am excited to get started again. I was slightly bummed that the break was longer than what I had intended but at least I am halfway through Stage 1.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I had heard that before. We do have the squat rack, 1 rack and 4 smith Machines. Don't really have someone to spot, so I was afraid to use it by myself, and it's usually taken anyway. If it's available next time, I think I should just go for it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    OMG BBB. That's awesome. I wonder how mine are going to look given I can't seem to get my diet under control.

Anyway. I went into the free weight area on lunch and stayed in a corner. Far too many men in there at 4pm in the afternoon. I think I need to keep going in the mornings before work. Less people around using the racks.
    I know I'm increasing in strength though. That week off did me a lot of good. I just did 12 pull downs at 26kg. I wouldn't have been able to do one before. My shoulder presses have improved too. Before my week off I was going 12 at 5kg and that was to failure. 12 was literally all I could do. The first set wasn't so bad so on the second set I grabbed the 6kg and did a set of those instead. That was almost failure. I am so happy.

Now if only I can get what I shovelling into my mouth under control.
    *le sigh*
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Stage 1 workout B completed yesterday (my first week) OMG My *kitten* (scuse my language) is so sore today and so are my quads and biceps but the butt is the worse yet it feels sore in a good way.

im having trouble with left leg lunges as Im suffering an injury. Can I use another exercise such as wide squats or something? Suggestions most welcome.

Bring on workout A again....Friday cant come fast enough.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    About the Lunges.....I've been using 20 lb dumbells thus far but I think I'm ready to up the weight. However this is going to start getting awfully heavy for my arms. Anyone done them with a barbell instead?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Stage 1 workout B completed yesterday (my first week) OMG My *kitten* (scuse my language) is so sore today and so are my quads and biceps but the butt is the worse yet it feels sore in a good way.

im having trouble with left leg lunges as Im suffering an injury. Can I use another exercise such as wide squats or something? Suggestions most welcome.

Bring on workout A again....Friday cant come fast enough.

I'm no expert on exercise substitutions but I found this:

http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/howtolunge_3.htm

You might post this question in the general forums, you might get more info there.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    About the Lunges.....I've been using 20 lb dumbells thus far but I think I'm ready to up the weight. However this is going to start getting awfully heavy for my arms. Anyone done them with a barbell instead?

I haven't but I say go for it. Maybe try one set with the dumbbells because you do still want to build up your grip strength but if it's hindering your lunge progress then there isn't anything wrong with using a barbell.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I've also finished my first Stage 1 workout B. I'm not aching at all, and I'm thinking maybe I'm not lifting high enough weights. My deadlift was 20kg and my shoulder presses were with 5kg x 2; used 5kg for the other stuff too. Is that OK for starters or should I be pushing myself more, I wonder?

On another matter, I'm pretty fed up about my colleagues' reactions. I used to get the comments that will be familiar to a lot of you: "you don't need to lose weight", "you're too thin" etc (I am truly not!), but now that I'm lifting it's even worse: People either laugh in my face, or make reference to Arnie. Grrrrrrrr!