Stage 1

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Evening all.

I've just done my second Workout A, and this time I upped the weights for everything and it was much better. I certainly felt like I was at the point of exhaustion by the 15th each time, and finished feeling I'd had a proper workout. The only one I find really easy is (sorry for anyone who finds it difficult) the prone jackknife. Not sure what I can do about that really. I'm doing 2 sets of 15 - does anyone think I should do more reps?

Alas, even though I've just bought a barbell set, I don't have a squat rack here at home either, so am using dumbbells for the squats - frankly I can't be bothered with moving furniture etc. My partner did mutter something about constructing some kind of squat rack, but going on his past achievements, I'll be at the end of the programme by the time he gets one done! Dumbbells might not be as good, but I think they will do. @Thankyouforthev, I'm well-impressed by squats with 30kg. My dumbbells are 7.5kg each and I was proud of myself until I saw your post, lol!

Welcome @Mocha76 - nice to have you on board (and nice to have someone newer than me!). We'll be asking you how to do things, since you've done it all before!

BTW, I'm sure I'm the oldest around here (I'm 53). Is there anyone else over 40 here?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

One question how do you guys load the bar for the deadlift? I could load it in the squat rack but it's really awkwardly positioned to get the bar out of there. There's a bench right in front of it. Am I going to look like a right idiot putting the plates on while the bar is on the floor?

The rack, for squats and deadlift, was unavailable when I got to the weight area, so I stole a bar for one of the benches and set it up on the floor, girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. The rack became available for my second set luckily. Monday I'm going to use the rack for my squats. Used the Smith last week. (and I really wish people would put stuff back, I hate having to hunt for db's)

WO1B felt really good. I'm contemplating gloves though. I used 15lb db for my presses and lunges and My palms hurt. Going to feel those lunges tomorrow LOL
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Maggie there are a couple of new ladies on the introductions thread who are 50.

General consensus with the ab work is- just do more if you want to! Prog seems to be aimed at complete beginners, which may be true of the weights, but us Jillian veterans can manage an ab challenge. I also hold a weight overhead for the crunches and bring it forward.

I'm having a mini break, over did it a bit with this and also work, so taking 4 days off, I feel really drained. Then i will finish stage 1 and go straight to stage 2 for a week or so before a week away.

I'll have a HIIT spin session today tho or i'll run out of cals on my nightshift tonight!

Enjoy your weekend ladies.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    WO1B felt really good. I'm contemplating gloves though. I used 15lb db for my presses and lunges and My palms hurt. Going to feel those lunges tomorrow LOL

I highly recommend a good pair of gloves, unless you like blsters and calluses. I found mine at the Sports Authority for $30 and I will not lift without them. One time, I drove all the way to the gym when I realized that they were still hanging in the laundry room after washing... I drove home to get them (my lifting partners). Your hands will thank you. :)
  • samntha14
    Options

I highly recommend a good pair of gloves, unless you like blsters and calluses. I found mine at the Sports Authority for $30 and I will not lift without them. One time, I drove all the way to the gym when I realized that they were still hanging in the laundry room after washing... I drove home to get them (my lifting partners). Your hands will thank you. :)

Thanks! Gloves it is. While "lifting like a man" is awesome, having rough hands, not so much LOL.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options

Thanks! Gloves it is. While "lifting like a man" is awesome, having rough hands, not so much LOL.

EXACTLY... manly hands on women are not sexy. ;)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Finished third round of work out's today! Still LOATHE lunges. I just hate them. I've dropped down to 10kg/22lbs to get my form right. Wish I could just do split squats instead.

Really happy as I've gone up for deadlift (1kg/33lb to 20kg/44lb) and a HUGE jump for lat pulldown (26kg/57lb to 40kg/88lb) even though I do need a quick rest on that weight.I'll also be moving up from 5kg/11lb on shoulder presses to 6kg/13lb next time I do workout B.

I've never lifted consistently before are my numbers good?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    mocha, I think if you scroll through this thread, you will see a video link to the "prone jackknife" where you keep your legs in pike position (no bending at the knees)....that SIGNIFICANTLY adds to the difficulty level.

(or, you can go to youtube.com and search "prone jackknife" and I think the video of the guy on the swiss ball doing it comes up....")
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    With profound apologies if this topic has already been done to death, are you eating back your exercise calories as well as following the NROLFW guidelines? I use a HRM and a fitbit, and supplement lifting with cardio (a little on lifting days, more on non-lifting days). As far as I can work out, the book assumes we don't calculate those calories, and gives us extra to compensate for the lifting.

This is more a matter of curiosity than anything else, as I'm using trial and error really; I'm trying to use hunger as my guide, and I find I'm actually more hungry the day after lifting. Having said that, I do lift in the evening, so perhaps that's why.

Any thoughts?
  • Lozze
    Options
    My goal is 1600 which is 300 less than what I calculated (as per their advice) When running I eat back my calories. I'm starving otherwise. I don't use calories for lifting though.
  • samntha14
    Options
    With profound apologies if this topic has already been done to death, are you eating back your exercise calories as well as following the NROLFW guidelines? I use a HRM and a fitbit, and supplement lifting with cardio (a little on lifting days, more on non-lifting days). As far as I can work out, the book assumes we don't calculate those calories, and gives us extra to compensate for the lifting.
    Yes, I eat back my calories so that I never have more than 300 calorie deficit. I'm losing weight at a pretty steady pace. Also, you don't really get a calorie advantage when lifting, anaerobic exercise, but you burn more after the fact. That's why it's important to keep consistent with your caloric intake. I set MFP to half LB, so that puts me at 1660 before exercise and between 1800-2000 after. I use a HRM for cardio days, and make sure to eat those back, but it's not hard because I'm usually hungry LOL.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I've just read this really good blog about bulking/cutting & calories. Thought I would share: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-accidental-bulker-217519
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I find I have to wear gloves cause of the excessive sweat nothing worse than dropping a 10kg dumbell on your toe, or any sized dumb bell for that matter.

I also like the ones where they wrap around my wrist for extra support. Adidas do a great range
  • emyback68
    Options
    Hi! I am starting the program this week -- but I have been doing strength training for about a year now one my own (free style, some JM and Cathe videos). I generally work out 75 minutes every day alternative cardio/weights or a combination.

My question is, has anyone done Workouts A and B on the same day? I am doing a similar amount now and don't really want to decrease what I am doing. I was thinking of starting with A/B twice a week for 2 weeks to do the 8 workouts in 2 weeks. At least for Stage 1.

Thoughts?
  • Lozze
    Options
    I personally wouldn't. You need to let your body rest and that's a hard workout. I have days I'm incredibly sore (and I don't generally GET sore from weights) doing it as I'm supposed to.

I'm a lot less worried after my second weigh in. 2.2kg/4.8lbs lost this week! Wooooo!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Hi! I am starting the program this week -- but I have been doing strength training for about a year now one my own (free style, some JM and Cathe videos). I generally work out 75 minutes every day alternative cardio/weights or a combination.

My question is, has anyone done Workouts A and B on the same day? I am doing a similar amount now and don't really want to decrease what I am doing. I was thinking of starting with A/B twice a week for 2 weeks to do the 8 workouts in 2 weeks. At least for Stage 1.

Thoughts?

Yoou know there are 16 workouts in stage 1?

I'd def separate them into different days as the book says, it's not like A and B work different muscle groups. If you want a challenge, maybe just increase the weights?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty pleased with myself today. There were a load of men in the free weights area and I just walked in there, grabbed a bar, loaded it with weights, did my deadlifts and left. I'm getting braver :laugh:

I went back to the Olympic bar with weights on today. I definitely needed the challenge. I do need to stick with this until I've got my form right. it's not quite to failure but I'm more worried about my back and not killing it than the weights. The deadlift is the one that scares me the most.
    As for the rest of it. I'm pretty happy where my weight are right now. Most of them are to failure (or close to) so I'm going to stick with them for the moment. Okay maybe not. :bigsmile: Like usual I'm probably going to up the weight on the last set.
    Deadlift = 35kg, Shoulder press = 12kg (6 each hand). Lunge = 8kg (4 each hand). Lat Pulldown = 26kg.

On the lunges I'm having to alternate the legs on the last set. Do you think that's bad?

I'm also not getting lifting gloves. I want to increase my grip strength, just like he did in the book.
  • emyback68
    Options

Thoughts?

Yoou know there are 16 workouts in stage 1?

I'd def separate them into different days as the book says, it's not like A and B work different muscle groups. If you want a challenge, maybe just increase the weights?

Thank you for clarifying re the number of workouts. I guess I will start out just doing A or B and see how it goes.
    I do have another question: I work out at home and do not have a squat rack. What are some good alternatives. I can only lift 50 pounds over my head, and do want to increase the squat weight beyond this. What can I use instead of the squat rack?
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm also not getting lifting gloves. I want to increase my grip strength, just like he did in the book.

Also, for deadlifts, gripping the weight with the bar settled between the base of your fingers and the first crease in your palm will keep it from pinching your skin.

When pushing the weight up (like shoulder presses), you may want ot keep the weight on the baes of your palm, making sure it's directly over the bones of your forearm.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    I'm pretty pleased with myself today. There were a load of men in the free weights area and I just walked in there, grabbed a bar, loaded it with weights, did my deadlifts and left. I'm getting braver :laugh:

I went back to the Olympic bar with weights on today. I definitely needed the challenge. I do need to stick with this until I've got my form right. it's not quite to failure but I'm more worried about my back and not killing it than the weights. The deadlift is the one that scares me the most.
    As for the rest of it. I'm pretty happy where my weight are right now. Most of them are to failure (or close to) so I'm going to stick with them for the moment. Okay maybe not. :bigsmile: Like usual I'm probably going to up the weight on the last set.
    Deadlift = 35kg, Shoulder press = 12kg (6 each hand). Lunge = 8kg (4 each hand). Lat Pulldown = 26kg.

On the lunges I'm having to alternate the legs on the last set. Do you think that's bad?

Well done with the weight room attitude!!

Have i been doing it wrong? I thought the book meant to alternate the lunge legs anyway. For the step ups I do the sets separate for each leg, but with lunges i alternate.

I use gloves, don't feel they affect my grip strength. I still have trouble hanging on to 10kg each hang for lunges/step ups :cry: