Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with push-ups and finding it difficult to increase the difficulty each time. Today I did my 3 sets of 10 on the garage window sill and still found that tough. Did try to go lower in the 2nd set (on to the chest freezer) but struggled and went back to the window sill. Think I may have to stay there another week.

Me too! My hands were up on the third stair up with the first workout A, and the 2nd workout A too! I just couldn't get down far enough on the 2nd stair. I guess we'll get there when we're ready...

I comfort myself that after my 2nd workout B i can walk the next day- the 1st time i couldn't workout for the next 3 days! Progress...:drinker:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Beeps is spot on that's it's not how much you lift, but that you are making P-R-O-G-R-E-S-S. As long as you are able to increase your weights you are doing great. We all have to start somewhere, right?

And all of us started at very different places, so don't be shy about where you are. I was a competitive athlete (softball, gymnastics) from childhood all through high school, then got serious about weights in college. Before I started this program, I had seriously been slacking on the weights for about a year and doing mainly cardio. I love this program because it's allowing me to get back into it easily and regain strength at a steady rate.

I am just about to finish stage 1 (just need to complete AMRAP workouts) and while my weight hasn't changed (no loss, but no gain either) I've lost two inches total. I'm a little disappointed because it's all in my bust (my mom is trying to convince me it's back fat but my already small bra cups are looking less full) but I'm not letting that get me down. I know that I've lost fat in my legs too because they look more defined, so I think the muscle gain evened out the inches. I'm pretty sure I lost fat weight too and just gained a couple pounds of muscle and that's why my weight has stayed steady. I was close to goal weight when I started, so there wasn't much wiggle room anyways. For those of you at higher starting weights you can probably expect to lose more pounds.

And Sarah, if you can't afford a trainer right now, you should look at the gyms in your area. Many right now are still offering New Year's sign-up specials, and sometimes they will let you work out with a trainer for one session before you sign a contract to try and reel you in. Just get your free workout, and toss the contract!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm on Stage 3 and I still can't do a proper push up. All during Stage 1, I did 30 degree push ups but I know my form wasn't the best and I know I wasn't going down as far as I should have been. I think I ended up messing up my progress because I tried to move on to 30 degrees before I was ready. I switched up to 45 degree push ups in Stage 2 and really concentrated on doing the form correctly. I feel like I did see progress throughout Stage 2 and I may be ready to do 30 degree push ups soon.

Moral of the story is do the most you can do with the correct form!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! :drinker: :drinker: I am almost done myself with stage 1. Next workout this Friday. I totally agree with looking at our progress and not compare with others. I have been able to increase the weight everytime I do a workout. I am just very cautious to take care of my aging joints. :noway: :laugh:

Kelsey, congrats on losing inches!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I know it can be dissapointing not to see a smaller number on the scale but losing inches is a better indicator of losing body fat. :drinker: You are not kidding regarding smaller breast size, I am not liking that either!!!! :noway: I have thought about augmentation but scared about the risks and then I think "do I really want to do it now that I am almost 50???" Bombshell bras at VS are way cheaper and dont require downtime. LOL :laugh:

Aaaahhhh the pushups!!! :noway: I can do 8 good pushups but with the elbows flaring out to the sides, not the triceps ones. I am just not sure which ones we are supposed to be doing really.

Have a great one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi yall. I'm still in Stage 1-- 2 more weeks to go. I do love it, but it took me a while to figure out what weight I actually COULD lift (was underlifting), and since that time I haven't gone up. I move from 10 reps to 8 next time, so I don't know, mb that'll help. But I will not lie. It feels HEAVY. Today, in my DLs, it felt as heavy as it did 3 times ago. After reading the above, I'm feeling a little discouraged. The absolute number aint bad, but as you say it's progress that counts.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi yall. I'm still in Stage 1-- 2 more weeks to go. I do love it, but it took me a while to figure out what weight I actually COULD lift (was underlifting), and since that time I haven't gone up. I move from 10 reps to 8 next time, so I don't know, mb that'll help. But I will not lie. It feels HEAVY. Today, in my DLs, it felt as heavy as it did 3 times ago. After reading the above, I'm feeling a little discouraged. The absolute number aint bad, but as you say it's progress that counts.

Dont feel discouraged, everybody is different. The weight is going to feel heavy but if at your last rep you think you could have done 2-3 more then you should try a little bit more next time. The last two reps, wherever you are 12, 10 or 8, should be very challenging, with the last rep being hard to lift if any at all. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I kind of think of it like this: it's just as silly to get STUCK on a number that you're lifting as it is to get STUCK about a number on the scale.

First, get your form right. If you don't, you might lift heavier and heavier, but somewhere down the line, you WILL be injured. Period. So, Stage 1 is REALLY a great "exploratory" phase. Get the form right. Watch some videos. Get a spotter to comment on things.

I really LOVED Stage 1 because I worked with a trainer, throughout. And, he showed me a whole bunch of other stuff (besides what is in the book). I learned that, despite years of yoga, my balance isn't very good (for weight-lifting) and my flexibility is deficient in some areas, too. Remember, in yoga, you can always "tailor" a move to suit an injury, or whatever. In weight-lifting, particularly in Stage 1 where a number of the lifts are VERY "technical", you can't. All those little "twinges" in my back was a sign that, yep, my lower back is WEAK. Meaning: it is the opposite of STRONG. So, some of those little muscles need to catch up. (i.e. my dead-lift will suffer for quite a while longer, while my lower back is strengthening)

Also, don't ever worry about the "ego". I've been trying to get in with my trainer 1/2 an hour earlier than scheduled, since I started with him. But, that time slot is taken by a little old lady who is strength-training. I asked him, today, "when has that old lady used up her time with you, so that I can get into her slot?" And he said, "she keeps signing up for more!" And I thought: " GOOD FOR HER!!" And then he said to me, "by the way, at one time, she was lunging more weight than you were..."

Which, of course, pissed me off. Than made me laugh. And, broke my concentration as I thought, "do NOT tell me, on a day when I STILL cannot do a floor push-up, that old lady used to LUNGE more than me..."

lol
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I'm just going to give you some food for thought:

I know you do a lot more cardio than is actually recommended in the book.....which is FINE!! I know you like it. BUT my feeling is that if you REALLY want to see strength gains, you may need to ease up on the cardio and give your body the rest it needs. I'm not saying that what you are doing now is wrong...it just depends what your goals are. Re read page 126 on rest if you want....I was just reading it tonight. :flowerforyou:

I also noticed myself, that when I was cutting back on my calories to prepare for Vegas....I couldn't do as many "real" push-ups as I could before......made me think about the relation of calorie deficit and strength gains/progress.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Just did workout 1A for the 3rd time (only 12 reps this time).

I think the good thing about decreasing reps is- it's not so scary to increase the weight! I'm trying to increase the big lifts (deadlifts/squats) by 2kg (4.5lb) each time, but this time i also increased the step ups and dumbell rows by the same too. I think i'm only going to increase weights for those smaller moves every other go, otherwise it'll be too much.

I am SO enjoying this, i can feel my thighs getting stronger and my shoulders look better already! I'm even considering venturing down a step on the pushups next time. If you don't hear from me in a few days, you'll know it ended in tears!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    QUESTION: I'm trying to get off of this plateau I've been on since October, and among other reasons, I'm hoping that weightlifting is a perfect solution to breaking my plateau. I've increased my calories to "maintenance" as Lou suggested in the book, and I just started NROL4W. So far, I've completed the first three workouts in Stage 1. I'm doing heavy lifting 3x per week and cardio the other three days with one rest day. My cardio is usually a mixture of step aerobics (high intensity with 8" step...sometimes with weights, sometimes not), Biggest Loser Boot Camp, Biggest Loser Cardio Max, or power walking. Just wondering how you're mixing in your cardio and when, and if your body is able to recover from the lifting nicely every other day. I've got to get better about my eating (I'm usually within my calorie goal, but I'd like to try the diet listed according to the book), but I can't do that until I can take some time to plan then go shopping. I'd appreciate any advice you can give :o)
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think my concern about that plan is just the amount and intensity of cardio you are doing may not allow for adequate rest time. I really tried to limit my cardio in stage 1 and now in stage three I am only doing two days of 20 minutes intervals. I think it is hard for many people, myself included to trust the program and limit the cardio in the name of the strength training, either because we enjoy the cardio (I do like how I feel after running) or because we associate the cardio with more calories burned therefore more weight loss. I think it is obviously up to you but I think that is the risk. I too am trying to work the diet angle in terms of increasing protein and other concepts in the book and do think that has helped me feel fuller or better in some way.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I do 20 minutes of cardio when I finish my lifting and 2 days of zumba and 2 full rest days.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I think my concern about that plan is just the amount and intensity of cardio you are doing may not allow for adequate rest time. I really tried to limit my cardio in stage 1 and now in stage three I am only doing two days of 20 minutes intervals. I think it is hard for many people, myself included to trust the program and limit the cardio in the name of the strength training, either because we enjoy the cardio (I do like how I feel after running) or because we associate the cardio with more calories burned therefore more weight loss. I think it is obviously up to you but I think that is the risk. I too am trying to work the diet angle in terms of increasing protein and other concepts in the book and do think that has helped me feel fuller or better in some way.

^^ I like this response. :smile:
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just did workout 1A for the 3rd time (only 12 reps this time).

I think the good thing about decreasing reps is- it's not so scary to increase the weight! I'm trying to increase the big lifts (deadlifts/squats) by 2kg (4.5lb) each time, but this time i also increased the step ups and dumbell rows by the same too. I think i'm only going to increase weights for those smaller moves every other go, otherwise it'll be too much.

I am SO enjoying this, i can feel my thighs getting stronger and my shoulders look better already! I'm even considering venturing down a step on the pushups next time. If you don't hear from me in a few days, you'll know it ended in tears!

I think we are in the same exact spot? I did the same workout last night. I agree, I increased my weights and felt more confident knowing I didn't have as many reps. I squat 25 and did a seated row with 50. I've also added weights to my step up which I was just doing BW before.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I do 20 minutes of cardio when I finish my lifting and 2 days of zumba and 2 full rest days.

I also do 20 minutes of cardio when I finish lifting but I don't really do anything on my off days except for a long hike once a week. Seems to be working fine for me.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Marking this so its in my topics, :drinker: Tomorrow is my 2nd workout A,
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Tomorrow is my 2nd workout A,

Me too. I'm kinda dreading it as my legs are killing me today. However I'm going to go and see how I cope before two days off.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I know you girls are right about the cardio.

I currently do 6 days cardio:

On the days I lift,I do a 15 minute HIIT

On the other three days,I do at least 45 minutes of cardio.

I am also out walking my dog 1-3x a day,plus I'm on my feet quite a bit at work. My job can also be physical at times.

It's so weird,because I used to take two rest days a week before I joined MFP.

I know I need to drop at least 2 days of cardio, but it's so darn hard. I love cardio AND lifting.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Me too. I'm kinda dreading it as my legs are killing me today. However I'm going to go and see how I cope before two days off.

I was like that, but the sched is flexible. I was in agony after my 1st workout B, so i took 3 days off there, then only 2 off after the next Workout A. It all works out in the end.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

I was like that, but the sched is flexible. I was in agony after my 1st workout B, so i took 3 days off there, then only 2 off after the next Workout A. It all works out in the end.

Glad to hear that. I don't really want to take two days off here as that would mean having to do 5 workouts in a row. Next weekend I'm going away Sunday to Tuesday. So I'm intending to do my normal workouts Mon-Fri and do the one I'll have to skip on Monday the morning of Sunday before I leave.