Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Regarding the calorie ranges - I know the book recommends eating a certain amount on non workout days and a higher amount on your lifting days... my question is for those of you who also do a bit of cardio or other excercising in between your lifting days - do you still eat the lower amount (as suggested for "nonworkout" days)? or do you track & eat back your excercise calories on these days?

I always aim to eat my exercise cals regardless of how they're earned. I think that's also advocated by this program. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Having said that I've had trouble eating them all lately!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning fellow lifters!!! :drinker: Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. Wow, most of you are lifting heavy for real!!!! :laugh: It makes me feel like a wimp. :noway: I have two more weeks of stage 1 so will try, cautiously, to increase the weight. I am not using a barbell, just dumbbells, working out at home.

Darkangel, I only take one day a week to rest and that is when I eat less calories (1500), the rest of the week I eat 1900 or try to. :laugh: If I eat less it is just between 100-200 less. I am doing the program only twice a week and teach Zumba 4 nights a week.

Have a great day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I have been doing a horrible job keeping up with this thread......I am pretty much done with stage 1. I technically have 1 workout left that would have been done last Monday but I went on vacation. So this last week, I took the WHOLE week off of lifting. Saturday night we FINALLY bought our Olympic bar. Soooo...... I am going to continue with Stage 1 for at least a couple more weeks. Keep up the good work everyone!! :heart:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat back my exercise calories and have my calories set at maintnenance for the 4 weeks recommended. I went lots over for two weeks I mean massively, but today I crept on the scale and its still registering a loss so happy. Two more weeks at maintenace and I'll see what I'm going to do then. I also have so much energy from the protein, but do still crave the carbs. I'm having trouble getting all the protein in and do find i'm thirstier because of it.

At the moment i'm squatting with hand weights. My legs had no strength when I began this program and had to start squatting to a chair, then I progressed to full squat (still with no weights), now finally I'm fully squatting with 5 kg weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    So I did a couple of trail runs and didn't have this happen. I did the first workout of stage 1 this morning and currently have a very sore left wrist. Completely random I know.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    So I really want to get help making sure that my form is right for my lunges, deadlift and squats. Is it ok to set up an appt with a personal trainer on a "non workout" day just to go through those ones? Maybe do lighter weights?

working out with a trainer is a fantastic idea! Especially if you are new to weight lifting, you don't want to get injured early on and then lose your motivation. When you make your appointment, I'd recommend bringing the book with you so that the trainer can build your workout around that, focusing on the moves you need to learn.

Instead of making the appointment on a "rest" day, I would suggest you just sub it out for a normal lifting day. It will take you that much longer to finish the program, but who cares? Going back to the book, even if you are lifting lighter weight on a rest day, you aren't giving your muscles the time to heal and rebuild.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I completely second the suggestion to work with a trainer to get your form right. And, to do it on your normal weight-lifting days.

This is my last week (for now) with my personal trainer.

So, I begin Stage 2 on Wednesday! He will monitor me doing Stage 2A on Wednesday and then he will monitor me doing Stage 2B on Friday. And then, I'm on my own for the rest of Stage 2!

I'm excited!

I'm nervous!

Wish me luck!!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    good luck!!!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I second that!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I completely second the suggestion to work with a trainer to get your form right. And, to do it on your normal weight-lifting days.

So, I begin Stage 2 on Wednesday! He will monitor me doing Stage 2A on Wednesday and then he will monitor me doing Stage 2B on Friday. And then, I'm on my own for the rest of Stage 2!

I'm excited!

I'm nervous!

Wish me luck!!

That's an excellent plan, you're going to do great.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wow! You ladies are so strong! I can only squat 25lb right now and I really feel it the next day.

I think the personal trainer is a great idea as well. I really can't afford one so I am depending on You Tube videos. I review them the day before I go exercise to refresh myself on proper form. It is working so far.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I have been doing a horrible job keeping up with this thread......I am pretty much done with stage 1. I technically have 1 workout left that would have been done last Monday but I went on vacation. So this last week, I took the WHOLE week off of lifting. Saturday night we FINALLY bought our Olympic bar. Soooo...... I am going to continue with Stage 1 for at least a couple more weeks. Keep up the good work everyone!! :heart:

I'm glad you got your barbell,it'll make things much easier for you!
  • Shyloh1
    Options

I'm excited!

I'm nervous!

Wish me luck!!

Good luck!

I'm excited for you!
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    I'm almost done Stage 1,just a few more workouts!

I was able to squat 80lbs this morning!

I'm looking forward to starting Stage 2!:love:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Wow! You ladies are so strong! I can only squat 25lb right now and I really feel it the next day.

I think the personal trainer is a great idea as well. I really can't afford one so I am depending on You Tube videos. I review them the day before I go exercise to refresh myself on proper form. It is working so far.

25lb? That's brilliant. I've only done the first workout but even using 5kg (11lbs) It's killed me.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Sarah is that you with your 25lbs in the pic? He doesn't look that big!!

And Shyloh, 80lbs, that's amazing. I'm starting out with about 45lbs, and can't imagine doubling that, what did you start with?

Jen
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I really am enjoying this program.

I'll keep lurking here on Stage 1 while I move into Stage 2.

Good luck to all of you! Remember, it isn't HOW MUCH you are lifting that matters (yet)....it matters that you are INCREASING that weight everytime you lift. So, focus on the INCREASE, and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

You are GOLDEN just for giving it your BEST TRY!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you - Thanks! I actually started at 20, now I am trying 25. It's brutal. Were you doing anything before this? I just moved to San Francisco a year ago and strengthened my legs a lot from all the walking.

Jen - ha! I did practice with him before starting, he's a good 16lb squat ;) He doesn't care too much for it though, unless there is a treat involved.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Ahhhhhhhh, yes, I WAS doing *stuff* before NROL4W.

I have been a cardio-gym rat for more than 25 YEARS!! And, I ran and stepped and zumba-d and cycled and ellipticalled and staired myself for hours and hours and HOURS every single day/week/month/year.

And now, I have turned that new leaf and am 100% focused on weight-training. Of course there is HIIT built into this program. And, I'm quite fond of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g, too!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I really am enjoying this program.

I'll keep lurking here on Stage 1 while I move into Stage 2.

Good luck to all of you! Remember, it isn't HOW MUCH you are lifting that matters (yet)....it matters that you are INCREASING that weight everytime you lift. So, focus on the INCREASE, and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

You are GOLDEN just for giving it your BEST TRY!
    Thanks for that I really need to hear those words, I'm dreadful for comparing.

I'm still struggling with push-ups and finding it difficult to increase the difficulty each time. Today I did my 3 sets of 10 on the garage window sill and still found that tough. Did try to go lower in the 2nd set (on to the chest freezer) but struggled and went back to the window sill. Think I may have to stay there another week.