Stage 1

Options

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Finally doing 8B tonight! Can't wait!

With the AMRAPs I am doing Workout A on Thursday but then I can't do the B one until next week as am away for the weekend. Wish I could just get it over and done with.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Did my 1st workout yesterday and these weight are going to be really wimpy compared to what I've been seeing from the rest of you but here goes:

Squats 20 lb barbell first set, 30 lb second set
    Step ups. 8 lb dumbbell each hand
    Seated row 50 lbs each set
    Push ups 45 degree angle
    Jack knives. Actually seem too easy.

I guess I have to start somewhere.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well i'm angry with myself today.

yesterday i decided to take my 15 minutes sprint HIITs to the gym's indoor track and off the hamsterwheel because I's starting to run at a speed that is uncomfortable for me in the machine.

to make a long story short, i didnt warm up properly for sprinting and i pulled something in my right hammy :cry: today's B workout is OUT of the question. no way i can do heavy weighted deads and lunges on this. hopefully it'll be better tomorrow and that way i can just change my lift schedule to sun wed friday for this week

later today i'll do some deads with just the bar and lunges with no weights to see how it feels. i'll also be taking a water warobics class and then later hop in the whirlpool.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    For form, choose to watch Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube. I've watched them SO many times I think I could rehearse the lines!

Here's the starting deadlift one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MX8jgCFXYTU
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Absolutely, kattarra. We all do. In 6-8 weeks (end of stage 1) you'll look back and be proud of the gains you've made.

Meshashesha20- be kind to your hammy, hopefully you will be at it again soon.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Any tips for deadlifters lifting 30 kilos (plus the bar weight)and over? I use gloves but the bar keeps slipping :(
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Any tips for deadlifters lifting 30 kilos (plus the bar weight)and over? I use gloves but the bar keeps slipping :(

I find that I can't use gloves. Also, I found that my grip was weaker than the rest of me, it was suggested to me that I do farmer carries. Also, I bought some grips (you know, you squeeze them) to help strengthen my grip.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I find that I can't use gloves. Also, I found that my grip was weaker than the rest of me, it was suggested to me that I do farmer carries. Also, I bought some grips (you know, you squeeze them) to help strengthen my grip.

Yes, I might try without the gloves next time. Thank you :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Did my 1st workout yesterday and these weight are going to be really wimpy compared to what I've been seeing from the rest of you but here goes:

Squats 20 lb barbell first set, 30 lb second set
    Step ups. 8 lb dumbbell each hand
    Seated row 50 lbs each set
    Push ups 45 degree angle
    Jack knives. Actually seem too easy.

I'm totally with you here. I sent a month building up to the barbel BEFORE even starting the program (or knowing it existed LOL) I couldn't walk for two days after doing squats for the first time, but I did 100 that first night thanks to an overzealous trainer. I think the jackknives are too easy too :)

This was a weird week for me. Skipped my swim on Sunday did my weights Monday and Wednesday but missed Friday and missed making it up on Saturday, skipped swim again on Sunday. However, I did B5 Monday and was throwing the barbell around like it was nothing. I just FELT strong. I picked up a set of 20lb DBs for shoulder presses and lunges like they were nothing when just three weeks ago I couldn't get the off the floor let alone use them. :bigsmile: My deadlift isn't quite where I want it, but I think I can go heavier Friday with the lower reps.

Congratulations to everyone's progress!!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last Stage One workout.... very excited as I'm on target to reach a personal goal of doing at least one set of deadlifts with the 45-lb plates. Wow, I feel like such a geek saying that. LOL

Stage Two next week, and I'm looking forward to it - Stage One has been exciting but I'm ready for something new. :o)
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For form, choose to watch Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube. I've watched them SO many times I think I could rehearse the lines!

thanks i'll check this out!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

That definitely helps, thanks! I'm using barbells where the weight plates are relatively small in diameter, so I'm never resting the barbell on the floor during the set. Is that correct? Or should I be putting it down between each rep?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    It is actually perfectly fine to set the barbell down, each time, and re-set yourself. In fact, once you are lifting REALLY heavy (i.e. more than your body weight), it is likely you will WANT to do this.

However, when the weights are lower, it is just as likely that you don't need to set the barbell down and re-set prior to each lift.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The fatigue is from muscle recovery (ie: growth adaptations). Your body is sending more resources to muscles and needs to curtail other systems a bit to do that, so your body's overall response is going to be to want to rest. I can tell you that I lift better when I've had some extra sleep, vs pushing through when I've let circumstances rob me of my ZZZ's.

This is one of the reasons, IMHO, that Lou Schuler discourages lots of cardio in addition to the program; you are diverting precious energy to building stamina rather than muscle. He says if the body has to choose between endurance and strength, it will almost always choose endurance. If you are fueling cardiovascular growth at the same time as you are trying to encourage muscle growth, there just isn't going to be enough to go around.
    Thanks for this! I think I feel like I need to add the cardio in since the workouts seem to be so short. What is your recommendation (or anyone else's- lol)? I've currently been doing Stage 1 3x week, then doing cardio (usually a 20 min HIIT workout or running) 2x week. BUT, I also incorporate HIIT as a warm-up and cooldown on my lifting days (usually 20 min total).
    I think once I get past Stage 1 and the workouts get longer, I won't feel so guilty about cutting out the other stuff?

I really do want to build the muscle, and I definitely do not want to sabotage that! Another thing I'm concerned with is my calorie consumption. I'm currently at 1480 cals (for a 0.5 lb loss/week), and normally eat about 1800 cals on workout days. I also have one spike day/week where I do not track any calories whatsoever and pretty much eat whatever I want. Any advice on this anyone?

Anyone?
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem with snacking? Before following this plan, I was just fine eating 3 meals a day with a snack here or there. Since I started this, I have been eating at leat 5 times a day as recommended (3 meals and 2 snacks) and I'm always over my calories and now I'm hungry in between meals when I wasn't before and really need the snack. I admit the last few days I was over because of stupid TOM cravings. My diary is open if you want to look - I fully admit though that I'm not a 100% clean eater.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi There
    Brand new to NROLFW. Read the book over the last few days & am processing as much as my little brain can handle! :)

Day 1 (A) of NROLFW - only took about 20 minutes to do today - almost seems "trite"?
    I am using 3# & 5# dumbbells to start, cuz that is what I have.
    Step-ups Lunge were difficult. Could not balance on just one foot...needed both for stability at top & bottom.
    Jackknife - used my couch instead of a ball. Difficulty level high for me.

And, away we go...
    :) J
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The fatigue is from muscle recovery (ie: growth adaptations). Your body is sending more resources to muscles and needs to curtail other systems a bit to do that, so your body's overall response is going to be to want to rest. I can tell you that I lift better when I've had some extra sleep, vs pushing through when I've let circumstances rob me of my ZZZ's.

This is one of the reasons, IMHO, that Lou Schuler discourages lots of cardio in addition to the program; you are diverting precious energy to building stamina rather than muscle. He says if the body has to choose between endurance and strength, it will almost always choose endurance. If you are fueling cardiovascular growth at the same time as you are trying to encourage muscle growth, there just isn't going to be enough to go around.
    Thanks for this! I think I feel like I need to add the cardio in since the workouts seem to be so short. What is your recommendation (or anyone else's- lol)? I've currently been doing Stage 1 3x week, then doing cardio (usually a 20 min HIIT workout or running) 2x week. BUT, I also incorporate HIIT as a warm-up and cooldown on my lifting days (usually 20 min total).
    I think once I get past Stage 1 and the workouts get longer, I won't feel so guilty about cutting out the other stuff?

I really do want to build the muscle, and I definitely do not want to sabotage that! Another thing I'm concerned with is my calorie consumption. I'm currently at 1480 cals (for a 0.5 lb loss/week), and normally eat about 1800 cals on workout days. I also have one spike day/week where I do not track any calories whatsoever and pretty much eat whatever I want. Any advice on this anyone?

I've only been at this for almost 3 weeks now, 6 workouts in, but I've been adding in cardio before and after as well. I can generally do the workouts in about 20 minutes. So beforehand, I do 15 minutes on the Stairmaster or Crossramp to get my heart rate up (not too strenuous but enough to make me sweat) and then I do my NROLFW workout of the day. Afterwards, I'll cool down at a lower intensity on one of the cardio machines again. So my workouts total an hour.

On my non-lifting days, I'll do cardio for 45 minutes, usually an interval run or the Stairmaster. This is usually 2 times a week, lifting is 3 times a week. I take Sundays off and one day during the week depending on the schedule.

For calories, I ended up bumping mine up to 1680 (which is 1/2 a loss per week for me apparently) and I aim for between 1600-1800 depending on my workouts that day. I haven't really lost any weight in the last 3 weeks, but my weekends have been really hectic with a wedding, my sister visiting, and just eating out often in general. I've been between 155-157 almost every day. I'm hoping that my body will adjust to the extra calories (I was only eating 1200-1400 before I started) and if I can get my weekends under control, I'll lose weight. I'd imagine it will take time for my body to adjust, so I took measurements and body fat % and I'll redo it after Phase 1 is over in 3 more weeks.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    kmorris, my opinion on your post is that if you do what you are suggesting, that's fine, but it isn't NROL4W. That's all....if you want to do the NROL4W program, then it isn't quite the way you have broken out your work-outs, or your meal-planning. If it's working for you, GREAT! But, one of the reasons I came to NROL4W was because it was a PROGRAM that, if followed, has demonstrated results for women. And, many of those women who succeeded to lose body fat % and gain muscle happen to be posters right here on mfp!! So, the SUPPORT for participating in the NORL4W program is HUGE.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jenthomas, I looked at your diary...you aren't really *over*?? Most days, you are right on target, excepting the cake one day and the cookies another. So, I think if you just tighten up the "treats", you'll find that you are doing everything according to the nutrition plan of NROL4W. Good for you!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Welcome, jingo!! I've just started Stage 3 and I really am enjoying this journey!