Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did A1 today and feel great. I definitely need to up weights on the seated row and I did 3 sets of each not 2 but was working from memory. I have a spreadsheet somewhere printed out that I am going to use from now on! It felt weird that I was in and out of the gym as quickly as i was. Does any one else feel this way? I use to do weights 30-45 min then cardio for an hour so. I feel a little guilty. (?)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I completed workout 2A a few minutes ago. I am in my recliner sipping protein shake.:bigsmile:

Scanning through my pages, I noticed on 3A I decrease reps but I increased some weights today.

1. Does that mean I increase again?

2. For my 1st rep (anytime during a workout) do I begin with the weight from previous workout and then increase weight? That's what I did today.
    I think it all depends on you. I do think the idea is to increase weights as you do less reps. When I'm done with a workout I make a note if i think I can do heavier the next time, especially if it's when I know I'm going to decrease reps. If I was able to get through 12 reps at a certain weight then I know I'll be able to do 10 so I will try more weight. So, I will just start the next time at the higher amount. If I struggle through it, I would go back down to the lower weight for the next set or just do a couple less reps and hope to get through it the next time.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I completed workout 2A a few minutes ago. I am in my recliner sipping protein shake.:bigsmile:

Scanning through my pages, I noticed on 3A I decrease reps but I increased some weights today.

1. Does that mean I increase again?

2. For my 1st rep (anytime during a workout) do I begin with the weight from previous workout and then increase weight? That's what I did today.
    I think it all depends on you. I do think the idea is to increase weights as you do less reps. When I'm done with a workout I make a note if i think I can do heavier the next time, especially if it's when I know I'm going to decrease reps. If I was able to get through 12 reps at a certain weight then I know I'll be able to do 10 so I will try more weight. So, I will just start the next time at the higher amount. If I struggle through it, I would go back down to the lower weight for the next set or just do a couple less reps and hope to get through it the next time.

^^this is what I do also.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I did A1 today and feel great. I definitely need to up weights on the seated row and I did 3 sets of each not 2 but was working from memory. I have a spreadsheet somewhere printed out that I am going to use from now on! It felt weird that I was in and out of the gym as quickly as i was. Does any one else feel this way? I use to do weights 30-45 min then cardio for an hour so. I feel a little guilty. (?)

great job and yes it is a short workout. Once you get to doing the 3 sets, it's longer and as you increase your weights you'll definitely feel like you are getting more of a workout.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started today too. I felt like a doofus in the weight room because I wasn't used to being there, but I got over myself and asked the trainer how to use the squat rack and then later, how to get on the ball for the prone jackknives. I jogged a mile outside first to warm up. It took me 1/2 an hour to go through the workout even with all the fumbling. I liked the step-ups the best because I knew I couldn't goof them up :) I need to have my husband watch me with push-ups to see if I'm staying flat enough. I worried a lot about form -- I'm used to BodyPump where the instructor will come correct me if I'm really off. Also, I'm used to doing 150 squats, then endless biceps curls, etc, so doing 2 sets of 15 seems short and weird. My HRM said I burned 150 calories in that 1/2 hour, so I did get my heart rate up, but I wasn't a sweaty mess. The trainer wanted me to use the Smith machine instead of the squat rack, but I held firm and used the rack. She thought I wasn't pushing my butt back far enough though. Argh.

Can other people give me a ballpark for what weights they started with? I was afraid I wouldn't be able to squat the Olympic barbell but it wasn't bad at all once it was up. If I was more confident using the squat rack, I feel like I could add weight to it. I was doing 60 degree pushups (I usually use my knees, but went with the angle/toes approach). For seated rows I tried 25 lbs, then went with 30 for the second set and will add more next time. I started with 12 lbs barbells for the step ups, then went to 15, but I could definitely add more. I'm just so nervous starting new things!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I started today too. I felt like a doofus in the weight room because I wasn't used to being there, but I got over myself and asked the trainer how to use the squat rack and then later, how to get on the ball for the prone jackknives. I jogged a mile outside first to warm up. It took me 1/2 an hour to go through the workout even with all the fumbling. I liked the step-ups the best because I knew I couldn't goof them up :) I need to have my husband watch me with push-ups to see if I'm staying flat enough. I worried a lot about form -- I'm used to BodyPump where the instructor will come correct me if I'm really off. Also, I'm used to doing 150 squats, then endless biceps curls, etc, so doing 2 sets of 15 seems short and weird. My HRM said I burned 150 calories in that 1/2 hour, so I did get my heart rate up, but I wasn't a sweaty mess. The trainer wanted me to use the Smith machine instead of the squat rack, but I held firm and used the rack. She thought I wasn't pushing my butt back far enough though. Argh.

Can other people give me a ballpark for what weights they started with? I was afraid I wouldn't be able to squat the Olympic barbell but it wasn't bad at all once it was up. If I was more confident using the squat rack, I feel like I could add weight to it. I was doing 60 degree pushups (I usually use my knees, but went with the angle/toes approach). For seated rows I tried 25 lbs, then went with 30 for the second set and will add more next time. I started with 12 lbs barbells for the step ups, then went to 15, but I could definitely add more. I'm just so nervous starting new things!

Everyone is so different. Better to start off the way you are and just add if it's too light rather than compare to others. Good luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow had no idea my opinions and experiences would cause such a *kitten* storm :laugh: .. let me explain myself, by vanity weight, i mean weight that people think they need to lose in their mind but their body is already at a healthy weight so it will be hard for them to lose. if it isnt vanity weight for YOU then it isn't vanity weight for YOU. my words and opinions shouldnt make a difference on what YOU want to do, how YOU want to look, what YOU want to eat. but i think we all know people who are at a healthy weight, say they want to lose 10-15 pounds but in actuality they want to lose fat. that's what i mean by vanity.

but really it's their body. i'm not judging them or anything. these are just some things that i've come across as I try to make my body into what i want it to look like.
    then to play devil's advocate, mesha, how would you change the NROL4W program to make the scale go down quicker??

Really??

Whether obese or not, when a person is following a program, the scale is not going to move down (or up!) faster because someone is weighing themselves every day (or constantly). Looking at the scale has NOTHING to do with the merits of the program.

So, if an obese person has chosen to follow this program, why should that obese person be any more righteous that THEY can step on the scale when the rest of us have been told to "KEEP OFF".??

um who said anything about me weighing myself once a day? i weigh once a week. i have no idea where you're getting this righteous thing from :laugh: you're obviously projecting your own issues into this, which is your prerogative. i'll let you have that discussion with yourself since it clearly has nothing to do with me.

also for changing the program. i think i should make it clear that i'm NOT a newb. :wink: i've lifted weights, heavy weights, since i played sports in high school, did power lifting when i played rugby in college. in college i was very thin and i played a position where other people in my position had a good 40 pounds advantage on me, so i had to make up for my lack of mass with power and strength. i continued on a strength training program after i left school. right now, i'm obese (actually i've dropped down to borderline obese/overweight), but i was working out that entire time and the majority of those workouts involved me lifting heavy things and putting them down, repeatedly. over the years i got fat (and bulky) mainly because of what and how i was eating. i was still eating like a 20 year old athlete was constatntly on the go and who worked out 3-4 hours a day even though i was turning into a sedentary office worker who sat for 10-12 hours a day and worked out 1 hour a day. this is the first time i'm actually trying to lose weight.

also, this is NOT my first time doing the program. i completed it 2 years ago. i followed the books advice on eating because i wasnt all that concerned with losing weight, but more concerned with getting stronger for some martial arts and boxing i was doing at the time. i didnt lose weight. so it stands to reason if i didnt lose weight then and i followed the book's advice that if i want to lose weight then i should tweak the book's advice.

all i know that for me in this body, with my fitness history, and what i need to accomplish now, not following their plan 100% is what is working. it's important to realize that you cant really go into things with a one size fits all approach. new rules was mainly written for women who had never lifted a heavy weight in their life and i knew that. i got it not because it opened my eyes to the possibility of heavy weights, i got it because it gave me 6 months worth of routines i could do and not have to come up with on my own.

i'll repeat it again, at this stage in my life (40, obese, high blood pressure, prediabetic) it's more important for me to lose weight than to follow some program 100% to the letter. NOT following their program 100% has resulted in me losing lots of fat, my blood pressure is normal again, i'm no longer prediabetic.

will eating at a deficit hinder my ability to squat twice my body weight? probably, but until i get into a healthy weight range. i think it's more important to take as much pressure (weight) off my knees, spine and ankles as possible because quite honestly THAT is what holds me back in workouts. as for the merits of the program, once again you are assuming that everyone doing this program is starting off at the same place. as stated above, any initial merits to strength training, i have already experienced 20+ years ago.

i dont understand why people are taking it so personally that I am not following the eating plan :laugh: do you get a free container of protein powder for every person who does exactly what the book says?
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Great to see new people starting, and everyone upping their weights so steadily!

Amyrobynne--I was totally at sea as to where to start weight-wise, too, but as someone else said, it's better to do just what you're doing (experiment) and up as you feel you can. Stage one is largely about getting used to lifting, working on form, etc., so it's not really necessary to start at maximum weight. Some people do it with body weight alone--you can start anywhere.

Today was workout A3 today--I tried to push since the reps were down to 12 from 15. I'm at 85 for squats, 25lb dumbells for step-ups (I love those for some reason!), and 60 lbs for the seated row. Not on the floor for pushups yet, but removed one riser from the step...small steps!

I ordered some new "minimal" running shoes that should be better for lifting than my super-padded ones, and I'm thinking I may want some gloves. I know it's better to develop your grip without (right?) but I don't want the callouses. Things I never thought I'd be worrying about!
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    25lb dumbells for step-ups (I love those for some reason!)

Can I borrow some of that enthusiasm? Haha, I can't stand step-ups. I slog through them, but I just find them so tedious. Step ups and lunges for that matter. I greatly prefer the squats and deadlifts! lol
  • jbrown78
    Options
    what is everyone using to "step up" on. I used a bench and felt that my knees were "twisting?" ...just did not feel good. I was thinking of just using a step aerobics step with heavier weights next time or is that counter productive?
  • jenniet04
    Options

It really depends on your own strength. I've lifted weights before, but it's been almost 20 years. I started with the 45 lb barbell for squats (I think this is really important until you get your form down) and I think 60 lbs for the deadlift. If what you started with was too easy, increase it by 5 lbs next time and keep going up by 5 lbs until you get to where it's getting difficult. If it's REALLY easy, you could add 10 lbs at a time, but I really think 5 lbs is better. As for the rest of the exercises, you just have to do what you are doing and experiment.

Great job asking for help, btw - sometimes that's the hardest part!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    what is everyone using to "step up" on. I used a bench and felt that my knees were "twisting?" ...just did not feel good. I was thinking of just using a step aerobics step with heavier weights next time or is that counter productive?

I use an aerobic step that's about 12" - 14" off the ground and use the barbell (bar plus 10 lbs for a total of 55 lbs), not dumbbells.
  • Nelski
    Options
    I am using a mini step aerobics platform. It's just like one you'd use for step aerobics but about a 3rd of the size. Just enough to step up and down on I use 4 risers, which I think is about a foot. I am 5'4" so I think it's about perfect for me. I could probably go an inch, 2 tops, higher at some point but you don't want to step too high and ruin your knees. Eventually just adding weight should be enough.
  • Nelski
    Options

I use an aerobic step that's about 12" - 14" off the ground and use the barbell (bar plus 10 lbs for a total of 55 lbs), not dumbbells.

I was considering using my oly bar at some point too for more weight options. How are you holding the bar?
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I used a folding chair that was braced against the wall so it would not move. it seemed to work fine for me. The first set of 15 was fine, but I maxed out at 12 on the second set.
  • jbrown78
    Options
    I thought that the bench was kinda high. I'm only 5'1 and the bench is almost knee level for me and the move just felt wrong. I only had 10lb dumbbells in my hands and at that height i don't know if I could go heavier without some serious knee trouble. smaller platform it is..

ps LOVE THIS GROUP!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    @ nelski - My step sounds just like yours - just wide enough for both feet. I hold the bar just like you would for a back squat.

@ jbrown - that does sound a bit too high. I'm 5'6", but my legs are short (29" inseam). I think my step is just over mid calf and my leg is about 90 degrees when I put my foot on the step.
  • athletemcgoo
    athletemcgoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just finished Stage One! I have really enjoyed reading these posts and the support from everyone (even though I've only been lurking ;) ) and I'm looking forward to Stage Two. One piece of advice for people just starting out -- don't be afraid to use the free weights! I went the whole workout using 2 25 lb. dumbells on my shoulders for the squats because I was too intimidated to try to the squat rack. On Saturday, after my last A work out, I worked up the courage to try it out and did some squats. Just messing aroud I was up to 85 lbs. and definitely could gone higher. So silly to be intimidated by a piece of equipment! Keep up the great work everybody!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm also using the aerobic step with five risers (no my leg makes that 90 degree angle) right now I'm using 30lb dbs but thinking of switching to the weighted bars. I think they're curling bars. My grip strength is starting to stink now that the dbs are a lot heavier. I'm also switching to a switch grip on the deadlifts.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Just finished Stage One! I have really enjoyed reading these posts and the support from everyone (even though I've only been lurking ;) ) and I'm looking forward to Stage Two. One piece of advice for people just starting out -- don't be afraid to use the free weights! I went the whole workout using 2 25 lb. dumbells on my shoulders for the squats because I was too intimidated to try to the squat rack. On Saturday, after my last A work out, I worked up the courage to try it out and did some squats. Just messing aroud I was up to 85 lbs. and definitely could gone higher. So silly to be intimidated by a piece of equipment! Keep up the great work everybody!

Great! I can't wait until I can say stage 1 completed.

If you don't mind sharing, how successful was it for you? I mean measurement wise.