Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @Jenlwb - thanks for the advice. I might just push through to stage 2 and take that week off when I go out of town.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call the last 10-20 pounds vanity weight, there are a lot of factors involved. After evaluating my bf%, I actually should only lose about 10 pounds, not the 20 I want to. I'm at the high range of BMI, BF% is 23.5%, but I hold all my weight in my middle so I'm still quite a ways from being at a healthy body composition. Yes some of it is vanity, but most of it is trying to reduce my chances of diabetes and heart disease.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    then to play devil's advocate, mesha, how would you change the NROL4W program to make the scale go down quicker??

Really??

Whether obese or not, when a person is following a program, the scale is not going to move down (or up!) faster because someone is weighing themselves every day (or constantly). Looking at the scale has NOTHING to do with the merits of the program.

So, if an obese person has chosen to follow this program, why should that obese person be any more righteous that THEY can step on the scale when the rest of us have been told to "KEEP OFF".??

Well as someone who is still that fat I do some cardio. Not a huge amount (30 minutes of C25K. I think that's HIIT but not sure) I've improved my cardio fitness heaps by doing this concurrently with NROLFW. I'm also doing the 300 deficit. (though I am thinking of upping them once I'm under 100kg)

I'm doing the program and focusing on measurements. But it's hard to not focus on the weight when I still have 40kg to lose. For me it hasn't changed my numbers, but it's changed how I lose it. So in the past six weeks I've lost about 4kg. In the previous six weeks I lost the same amount of weight. But in the past six weeks I've been up and down and then lose a big amount at once. In the previous six weeks it was steadily going down.

I don't think 10-20 pounds is vanity weight but you're much closer to a healthier weight then someone who still has 88lbs to lose. My knees and lower back KILL when doing the program. (and I've had the PT check it out to make sure I'm doing it right)

I just realised another added benefit from weight lifting. I have PCOS and TOM is very irregular. It used to be after losing 5kg I'd start again. This time it didn't. I was down 26kg before I started TOM again. Two days before it came back I started lifting weights. And when continuing to lift weights I got it again. My doctor said if I get it again next month I'll be regular! (for the first time since I was 14!) Which is INSANE for me. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but if it's not, it's a great side affect of weight loss.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - I'm really not so dense, but I'm a bit confused when everyone writes out what week/workout they are in. :/ I will admit I have not spent a ton of time reading that part of the book as I was eager to get started so I read through the beginning and found the workouts.

For instance, I just did my 7th workout overall. First week: A, B, A; Second week: B, A, B; Third week: A
    How would I write the workout I just did so you all knew what I was referring to? If I just say 3A - how do you know it's the first A or the third workout of the week (since it's an A, B, A week)?

And because I don't have my book right here so I can't look it up right this moment - which week/workout do I increase to 3 sets? (Very eager to do this!!)

TIA!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options

The shoulder press: since it will be difficult for me to do , how about arm lifts (my body looks like a T)?

Becareful with these, I read somewhere (wish i could remember where) that lifting your arms straight out to the side (making a T) is bad for the shoulder joints. Hold your arms slightly forward of your body. I'll try to remember where i saw that!

Why can't you do shoulder presses?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - I'm really not so dense, but I'm a bit confused when everyone writes out what week/workout they are in. :/ I will admit I have not spent a ton of time reading that part of the book as I was eager to get started so I read through the beginning and found the workouts.

For instance, I just did my 7th workout overall. First week: A, B, A; Second week: B, A, B; Third week: A
    How would I write the workout I just did so you all knew what I was referring to? If I just say 3A - how do you know it's the first A or the third workout of the week (since it's an A, B, A week)?

And because I don't have my book right here so I can't look it up right this moment - which week/workout do I increase to 3 sets? (Very eager to do this!!)

TIA!

If you want to think about it in terms of sets, like the workouts have, then there are 8 "sets" of exercises A and B. So 1A would be the first set of A, 1B would be the first set of B (but that's your second workout overall). Then you move onto your second set, 2A and 2B would be your third and fourth workout. Think of it as the number of time you've done that letter workout. Your 7th time doing workout A would be 7A. Hope this helps!

You'll go up to 3 sets in Workout 5A, so your 9th workout. You're almost there!
  • 00trayn
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call the last 10-20 pounds vanity weight, there are a lot of factors involved. After evaluating my bf%, I actually should only lose about 10 pounds, not the 20 I want to. I'm at the high range of BMI, BF% is 23.5%, but I hold all my weight in my middle so I'm still quite a ways from being at a healthy body composition. Yes some of it is vanity, but most of it is trying to reduce my chances of diabetes and heart disease.

I'm in the same boat too. I used to aim for 130s, now I know the 140s are much more realistic. You can determine what is a reasonable amount to lose assuming your muscle mass stays the same.

Using myself as an example, take your body fat % and multiple it by your weight.

156.1 lbs x 29.7% = 46.4 lbs of Fat and 109.7 lbs of lean mass (muscle, bones, etc.)

Say I want to get to 25% body fat.

156.1 lbs x 25% = 39.0 lbs of Fat

So if I assume I don't lose any lean mass...

109.7 lbs of lean mass + 39.0 lbs of fat = 148.7 lbs

That's how I'm coming up with a reasonable weight for myself. I get 144 lbs if I can get down to 22% body fat. It not an exact science, but it shows that even with getting down to an athletic or fit amount of body fat, I won't be at the highest end of my BMI range (141 lbs). I'm an engineer, so I tend to like using math to make decisions, haha.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    So, I'm confused by calorie intake. I'm at workout 4B of stage 1. I'm 5'0" and currently around 122lbs, and I had originally set out to be around 110lbs. That was before I started the program though. Mostly, I just want to be a smaller size with lots of definition. The book set me around 1900 calories, given that I'm a healthy BMI and 25 years old. MFP's maintenance for me is 1650. I do C25k on my non-lifting days. Given that I still want to lose some body fat, should I have a deficit? How much? Argh, love the program, but the eating is so confusing!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat too. I used to aim for 130s, now I know the 140s are much more realistic. You can determine what is a reasonable amount to lose assuming your muscle mass stays the same.

Using myself as an example, take your body fat % and multiple it by your weight.

156.1 lbs x 29.7% = 46.4 lbs of Fat and 109.7 lbs of lean mass (muscle, bones, etc.)

Say I want to get to 25% body fat.

156.1 lbs x 25% = 39.0 lbs of Fat

So if I assume I don't lose any lean mass...

109.7 lbs of lean mass + 39.0 lbs of fat = 148.7 lbs

That's how I'm coming up with a reasonable weight for myself. I get 144 lbs if I can get down to 22% body fat. It not an exact science, but it shows that even with getting down to an athletic or fit amount of body fat, I won't be at the highest end of my BMI range (141 lbs). I'm an engineer, so I tend to like using math to make decisions, haha.

Thanks, this was very helpful!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    coquette - my opinion is that if NROL4W sets you at 1,900 calories, on a non-lifting day, then you should, for at least a month, eat 1,900 calories per day (on non-lifting days). If NROL4W then sets you at, say 2,150 calories on a lifting day, then that is what you should eat, for a month, on your lifting days.

After one month, you can then take a new look at your eating patterns (because hopefully your metabolism has stabilized to your "new" eating routine).

And, then, if you choose a *small* deficit after month 1, my opinion is that 250 - 300 calories (the book says 300), per day, is the deficit you would work with.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks Beeps! It just seems like so much food, given that I'm so short! I'll try it though. Fingers crossed!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    @coguette - I agree with Beeps! Definitely try NROLW method for at least a month. I bet you'll be surprised.

@00trayn - LOL! I'm an accountant, so I'm the same way! If I lose another 10 lbs to get me to 140, that would put me at about 18% BF, assuming my lean body mass stayed the same, of course. If I actually gain muscle, then I may just stay closer to 150.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

TIA!
    There are 8 of each A&B, 16 workouts total(18 if you include special). So I say 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B...
    So you just did 4A
    I will be doing my 11th workout today, 6A.

They increase to 3 sets on workout 5.

Workouts1&2: Two sets, 15 reps
    Workouts 3&4: Two sets, 12 reps
    Workouts 5&6: Three sets, 10 reps
    Workouts 7&8: Three sets, 8 reps
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Just finished Stage 1!

Have done both AMRAPs, but don't feel particularly proud because it is obvious now that I started too light - was lifting to boredom just now rather than failure. Not motivated to post numbers, therefore. Feel strangely unsatisfied, like i haven't had a proper workout. Going to take a week off, but carry on doing some gentle cardio. I'm away from home for a few days - nicely timed, eh? Now for a peep at Stage 2!
  • 00trayn
    Options
    Just finished Stage 1!

Have done both AMRAPs, but don't feel particularly proud because it is obvious now that I started too light - was lifting to boredom just now rather than failure. Not motivated to post numbers, therefore. Feel strangely unsatisfied, like i haven't had a proper workout. Going to take a week off, but carry on doing some gentle cardio. I'm away from home for a few days - nicely timed, eh? Now for a peep at Stage 2!

Great job! I suspect I'll be in the same boat as you. I started off pretty light and increased pretty quickly to what really challenges me to failure now. I went from 50 lb squats to 125 lbs. I'll get to the AMRAPs in a week and a half. I have 3 workouts to go in the next week.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Just finished Stage 1!

That's exactly why I'm not planning on doing the AMRAPs. I know I started too light, but I had to start somewhere and I'd have rather started too light than too heavy.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

The shoulder press: since it will be difficult for me to do , how about arm lifts (my body looks like a T)?

Becareful with these, I read somewhere (wish i could remember where) that lifting your arms straight out to the side (making a T) is bad for the shoulder joints. Hold your arms slightly forward of your body. I'll try to remember where i saw that!

Why can't you do shoulder presses?

It will be 8 years this summer, at the age of 32 while 26 weeks pregnant I was dx with tonsillar cancer (smoker and alcoholic cancer. I do neither. go figure???) I had 70 rounds of radiation. the radiation damaged nerves and muscles so I can't lift my arm straight up. I can get it to about 150ish degree up but not the full 180 from my side to straight up.

Baby was born 3 weeks after last radiation. She is great despite the "complications " doctors said she might have. Oh, she does have type 1 diabetes but that was not caused by the radiation. I worried over that but after talking with radiation Oncologist he said " we radiate pancreases all day and people don't get type 1 diabetes". It's an autoimmune disease .
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Today was my last workout of Stage 1 and I'm a little disappointed because I didn't increase any weights :( and the left hand side of my body is VERY sore. I have NO idea what I did wrong.

Final weights for stage 1:
    Squat 120, seated Row 90, step-ups 60 (30dbs), 15 regular push ups. 20 jack knives.
    Deadlift 100, lat pull down 85, shoulder press 50 (25 dbs), lunges 50 (25 dbs), and crunches w/25lb plate
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Re-posting this here because no one replied to my original post :ohwell:

So I started NROL4W last Wednesday, and I'm about to do workout B today. I do have a few questions though:

- I felt a little sore in my upper body after the day 1 workout, but not in my lower body, so I'm wondering if I should increase the weight resistance already, for squats and step-ups? and by how much at a time? Some history: before this, I was doing body pump classes 1-2 times a week for 2.5 months (and lots of Zumba) and had upped my resistance weight slightly while doing the classes, but I never recorded the progress really. But, I am also prone to overdoing it with the weights and assume I can do more than my body is capable of (quite opposite of what Lou says in the book, I guess I "think like a dude" in that respect lol) Last time this happened, I had pretty intense DOMS in my quads for 5 full days after doing too much in a lifting class, so I'm nervous about this but still want to see progress and results.

- I am not crazy about doing the reverse lunge and twist warmup. I was really unsteady and there isn't enough room for me to do it in my gym walking, I have to remain in one spot. I also have issues with my hip/thigh joints, so lunges make me nervous in general. Does anyone know of a substitute warmup I can do instead, which will work the same muscles?

- Do any of you try to gauge your calorie burns while lifting? I use a HRM for cardio, and I do know that using it for strength training is not accurate. Is there ANY way to find out what I burn while lifting?

Thanks, all advice welcome smile
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Re-posting this here because no one replied to my original post :ohwell:

So I started NROL4W last Wednesday, and I'm about to do workout B today. I do have a few questions though:

- I felt a little sore in my upper body after the day 1 workout, but not in my lower body, so I'm wondering if I should increase the weight resistance already, for squats and step-ups? and by how much at a time? Some history: before this, I was doing body pump classes 1-2 times a week for 2.5 months (and lots of Zumba) and had upped my resistance weight slightly while doing the classes, but I never recorded the progress really. But, I am also prone to overdoing it with the weights and assume I can do more than my body is capable of (quite opposite of what Lou says in the book, I guess I "think like a dude" in that respect lol) Last time this happened, I had pretty intense DOMS in my quads for 5 full days after doing too much in a lifting class, so I'm nervous about this but still want to see progress and results.

- I am not crazy about doing the reverse lunge and twist warmup. I was really unsteady and there isn't enough room for me to do it in my gym walking, I have to remain in one spot. I also have issues with my hip/thigh joints, so lunges make me nervous in general. Does anyone know of a substitute warmup I can do instead, which will work the same muscles?

- Do any of you try to gauge your calorie burns while lifting? I use a HRM for cardio, and I do know that using it for strength training is not accurate. Is there ANY way to find out what I burn while lifting?

Thanks, all advice welcome smile

I started my first workout Wednesday and did B for the first time today. I was not as sore in my legs but mainly in my core.

I really don't know any answers to your questions because I just started myself. but just do what feels right to you weight wise. He did state if a weight was too light continue that rep and next rep increase your weight.

The only warm ups I do are squats and lunges without weights.