Stage 1

Options

Replies

• melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi! You're all doing so well, and the weight increases are inspiring! I just finished WO A2, and am loving it. I upped all my weights this time--wonder if I'll be able to next time, though. They felt pretty heavy today. But the next two workouts are fewer reps, so maybe? Almost fell off the ball at the end of the second set of jacknives! Was worn out at that point.

One question before my next B workout--Deadlifts (of course): Do you put the weight all the way back down on the floor and stand up straight after each lift? Or just touch to the floor and lift again? Or put it down but stay bent over? It really isn't an intuitive motion for me (or wasn't the first day).

Thanks...

Oh! Have to share: After a many-weeks plateau, and not expecting any loss at all, I found when I weighed this morning that I'd finally dropped another 2 lbs. I was very surprised, because I figured starting this program would put off any loss for a while, but yay!

regards your deadlift Q:
    With 'lighter' weights I touch the floor and then lift again, I think when you go heavier you should put it down for a sec or two, don't stand up though, stay bent with your arms straight, and then do your next lift. I watched so many youtube vids, I think the one for the crossfitters is quite good. it shows a girl lifting too. which is inspiring. But I'm fairly new to this too and I think your form is crucial with this lift, you don't want your lower back to be hurting, that's bad ...
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I did WO A3 today and was actually able to do all of my pushups from the floor. Yay me! :laugh:

I also upped my squats to 65 lbs., step-ups to 40, and rows to 50. Prone jacknife hasn't been a problem for me, so far.

Does anyone know if having a protein shake shortly after a workout diminishes the soreness somehow? I hadn't been sore until after Monday's workout. I had a protein bar instead of a shake that day and wonder if that had anything to do with it.

BTW...great job, everybody!:flowerforyou:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I think my protein shakes really do help with the soreness. I went snowboarding for the first time on Sunday and was so sore for two days! Yesterday I finally had a protein shake just to see what would happen, and I feel great today - wish I had done it sooner!!

ETA - I haven't been sore at all after any of the workouts either.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if having a protein shake shortly after a workout diminishes the soreness somehow? I hadn't been sore until after Monday's workout. I had a protein bar instead of a shake that day and wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I haven't had any soreness at all, which is quite unusual for me. But yes, I am having a (hemp) protein shake immediately after every workout, so maybe that's why.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    So last night I did my first of the 3 set workouts, A5, and today I'm fine?! I'm a bit irritated, I was sweating my sweet bum off and really working hard, according to my HRM as well as to my muscles, and today, nothing, no muscle soreness.
    Does that mean I should have gone harder? I don't think I could have done anymore than I did :ohwell:

As you get farther into the program, you will find your soreness hitting 48 hours or so after your session. DOMS, it's called, or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. And it's a beautiful thing!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nelski and MelaineMelain for answering my deadlift question--that's what I thought, basically.

I thought it was protein in general that helps with muscle recovery/soreness (so whether you get it from a shake or a bar shouldn't matter)--though I could be wrong.

MissMaggie--is there a benefit to hemp protein over whey?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    MissMaggie--is there a benefit to hemp protein over whey?

I'm vegetarian, and I started on a soya-based shake, but got a bit concerned about the quantities of soya I was consuming altogether, as I eat other soya products too. Another mf pal recommended hemp as an alternative, as it is said to have a very good range of amino acids. The taste is fairly hideous, but I cunningly disguise it with a bit of chocolate powder!
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    ok so i did my first workout today and just had to guess at the weight, it was hard but not to the point of i couldnt do it. do i need more weight??
    Squat: 19kg (39lbs ish)
    Push up hard armrest of sofa (about 45deg)
    Bendover row: 10kg (22lbs ish)
    Step-up 6kg (13lbs) in each hand so 12kg total
    Prone jackknife: no swiss ball at present so didnt do? am buying tomorrow!!

advice please? wheres best to even start?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ok so i did my first workout today and just had to guess at the weight, it was hard but not to the point of i couldnt do it. do i need more weight??

no need to worry about too much now since it's your first workout and the first few weeks you're going to be doing a lot of tweaking.
    it's hard to say if you need more weight or not since you're going to have to listen to your body
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I'm at the beginning of the program, too, but I can tell when I'm going too light (not fatigued at the end of the set) or too heavy (today, for example, I started with too much on the squat bar, and while I *could* perform the motion, I knew I couldn't keep up proper form for an entire set of 15...so I took some off). Good luck figuring it out. It's a process!
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first workout. I am loving reading all of your past posts. You all are very inspiring! I need to play around with the weight - but today I did:
    Squats - 45lbs
    Push-ups - 45 degree angle
    seated-row - 30lbs (I think that I could have gone higher)
    step-ups - 15lbs each hand (30# total)
    prone jackknife - I did 15 reps
    I added abs and lunges and I think that I will add hamstring curls ( I had knee surgery less than a year ago and I need to keep it stable :)
    I am excited about this program and look forward to increasing my weight.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I just finished Workout A, week 3 and kicked *kitten*.

Squats 90 pounds
    rows 90 pounds
    Step-ups 40 pounds.
    push-ups (on my knuckles because of my wrist)
    Prone jackknife was a lot easier because my balance has improved.

I absolutely love lifting. I'm going for 100 pounds with the squats next workout. I think I can do it :)
    great job! Go for it!!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Well I am halfway through stage one and reading everything from you guys has been so helpful! I do 5A tomorrow so we shall see how it goes, I'm feeling bit intimidated about the three sets.

So I feel like I've made good progress on upping my weights except I have made zero progress on the push-ups (been doing at a about a 30 degree rise) and on my shoulder press. I'be been using 8 lb DB on the shoulder press and tried to up to 10 last night and could hardly lift my arms for the last rep so it was obviously still too heavy. Anyone else struggle with this? I'm just not sure how to take the next step to improve on these two exercises.

Also, out of curiosity, what type of shoes does everyone like for lifting weights? I've been wearing my running shoes because, well, its all I have but I was really feeling like they were not giving me good support and balance last night, I just felt wobbly in them. Would a regular pair of cross-trainers be good?

Thanks all!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hello! I started Stage 1 today. It was extremely hard leaving the gym after 5 exercises. I felt like I should have done more but I didn't . I can feel the tightness in my glutes and shoulders now.

I have a few questions that I posted on the main page but a poster told me about here. :smile: Here a couple that did not get answered.

1. It is recommended I eat 2300 cals on lifting days and 2000 on non lifting days. Do you adhere by your counts? If not, how much do you cut? Is it working for you? Loss or gain of weight, please specify.

2. I really want to lose inches and weight will this do that? I want both. I don't want be as "big" as I am now with just muscles".

A total of 5 pushups. I didn't read the book too thoroughly (huh?) LOL or look further about different variations of pushups. :blushing: I will definitely use the incline.

Prone jackknife HA! wibbly wobbly me got a total of 12

All reps completed :
    squats using 40 lb dumbbell
    seated rows 60 lb
    step ups hold (2) 10 lb dumbells with a step of 18 inches
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Workout 3A tonight

Squats: 90 lbs - 3 sets
    Push-ups: 45 degree angle - 3 sets
    Seated rows 70 lbs - 3 sets
    Step-ups 20 lbs - 2 sets
    Prone Jacks - getting better at it, 2 sets of 10 each without falling on my face and getting rug burns!

I want to do more. I dont feel like I'm doing enough. With that in my mind, I've decided to start running again, which is my warm-up before lifting. I really dont think I could run after lifting.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm at the point now where little things are going to start holding me back

wrong shoes - i've been meaning to buy some vibrams but havent got around to it and i no longer have chucks. i think wearing my cross trainers are throwing me off with some of the exercises.

eating at a deficit - i'm taking longer to recover from soreness. the last time i did NROL, i only needed about 48 hours, but now it's taking longer. the only thing i can think that's different is that i'm eating at a deficit. i've even cut down on the my cardio intensity in the past few weeks to see if that would help.

grip and forearm strength - my forearms are on fire after monday's deadlifts. maybe it's time to invest in some chalk?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've barely been able to train the past two weeks. I moved two weeks ago and was so tired the thought of going to the gym was just not on. Went this past Tursday and was going to go today but have a terrible cold and there's no way I could right now. I'm up to workout seven so if I'm better as of Sunday will try to do three workout for the next two weeks and be finished with stage 1. I don't think I'll take a break for the simple reason I've already had some. (at least three weeks. It will be almost three months of that plan stays for me to have done it.

I now go to a different gym and omg it's do small! The entire gym is the size of my old gyms free weights area! I wish I could cancel but my gym has a rule that if you move and you're more than 10km away they'll cancel your membership. I'm 9.8km.... There's a gym across the road so I'm spewing but ah we'll!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    1. It is recommended I eat 2300 cals on lifting days and 2000 on non lifting days. Do you adhere by your counts? If not, how much do you cut? Is it working for you? Loss or gain of weight, please specify.

2. I really want to lose inches and weight will this do that? I want both. I don't want be as "big" as I am now with just muscles".

I'm no expert - I can only tell you about me, but hope it helps. I'm just finishing Stage 1.

1. At first I didn't lift heavy enough, but when I got into it properly, I developed an uncontrollable, raging hunger! Because of this I was going way over my maintenance calories all the time. I didn't put any weight on, although this morning I notice I am one pound heavier (this may be be water retention after AMRAPs last night). I'm still going over most days, but I know my body needs it. I'm guessing my metabolism was higher than the book (and MFP) estimated, but many other women here are finding the same about hunger. My view is listen to your body.

2. I am starting to look smaller, even though I'm not losing weight. Why is the weight important if you look slimmer? Even though I am developing muscles, I would put myself in the petite category. I was 'skinny fat' before, but that is quickly changing now.

For me, it isn't just about aesthetics though - it's an investment for the future in many ways; prevention of osteoporosis, prevention of falls and breaks and so on. But I would also add that I'm starting to feel happier in my own skin, which I put down to being a bit stronger and fitter.

It's what you might call a win-win situation!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

I'm no expert, but I'm at the end of Stage 1 and I can tell you what's happened to me so far.

1. When I started to lift heavy (to the point where I could hardly finish a set), I found myself getting absolutely starving hungry - my stomach became a bottomless pit and it was so bad that I simply had to eat. Initially I found I got much more hungry the day after lifting and I think that was because I lift in the evenings. I went way over my recommended maintenance calories a lot of the time. My muscles are developing nicely, and I'm not putting any weight on, but I am careful to get my 30% protein or almost 30%. I'm guessing that my metabolism was already relatively high, but plenty of other women here have had the same experience.

2. I'm looking smaller, without weighing less. I didn't bother measuring everywhere, as I'm letting the mirror tell me how I'm doing. For me, the weight itself simply isn't important, as long as I look and feel better. I don't think I look the same with muscles - I was 'skinny fat' before and that is starting to change.

A couple of further points - it's not just about aesthetics; it's also an investment for a fit and healthy future; preventing osteoporosis, preventing falls etc. I am now also feeling a bit 'happier in my own skin' as a resut of being a bit stronger.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

I'm no expert - I can only tell you about me, but hope it helps. I'm just finishing Stage 1.

1. At first I didn't lift heavy enough, but when I got into it properly, I developed an uncontrollable, raging hunger! Because of this I was going way over my maintenance calories all the time. I didn't put any weight on, although this morning I notice I am one pound heavier (this may be be water retention after AMRAPs last night). I'm still going over most days, but I know my body needs it. I'm guessing my metabolism was higher than the book (and MFP) estimated, but many other women here are finding the same about hunger. My view is listen to your body.

2. I am starting to look smaller, even though I'm not losing weight. Why is the weight important if you look slimmer? Even though I am developing muscles, I would put myself in the petite category. I was 'skinny fat' before, but that is quickly changing now.

For me, it isn't just about aesthetics though - it's an investment for the future in many ways; prevention of osteoporosis, prevention of falls and breaks and so on. But I would also add that I'm starting to feel happier in my own skin, which I put down to being a bit stronger and fitter.

It's what you might call a win-win situation!

The weight loss is a mental thing. I know I know. I just have this idea of being 20 pounds lighter along with the slimmer look. A little background about me. ALL my family members are over 200 lbs. Out of 6 kids I am the smallest at 150 lbs and 5'5 (even in height) So I have a fear of being overweight. Since I can remember I have always had this fear. At 10 years old I went 2 weeks without eating! THat was the first and last time. I like food too much.

I do want to be healthy and stronger. I feel so puny.

Yesterday I felt like I was eating just to get 1500 calories in. Eating healthier makes it harder to get all calories in. Any other time I wouldn't have a problem getting them in with the junk food. PLUS, eating 2000 cals just seems to go against everything I was ever told about weight loss. Eat less Exercise more.