Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    So I have proof that the guys in the weights section of the gym are actually quite impressed by us NROLFW chicks. Two guys came up to me in the grocery store after the gym and called me The Workout Queen and told me they were impressed by how much I bust my butt and that I'm the only girl doing it! They couldn't believe I was using 120 lbs for squats (which apparently one of them couldn't even do yet, haha). It helps erase any of the aprehension that I had when starting the program on "that side of the gym". Now apparently I RULE that side of the gym, mwahahaha!

That's awesome!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Faith - good to see you here! :bigsmile:

00trayn - that's awesome!! What at great NSV!

Couldn't drag my butt out of bed this morning to get 5A done :sad: I've been really tired since Sunday, I just can't imagine one day of snowboarding would run me down that much. Feeling better since I slept in, but hope I'm not coming down with something.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So I have proof that the guys in the weights section of the gym are actually quite impressed by us NROLFW chicks. Two guys came up to me in the grocery store after the gym and called me The Workout Queen and told me they were impressed by how much I bust my butt and that I'm the only girl doing it! They couldn't believe I was using 120 lbs for squats (which apparently one of them couldn't even do yet, haha). It helps erase any of the aprehension that I had when starting the program on "that side of the gym". Now apparently I RULE that side of the gym, mwahahaha!
    :flowerforyou: yay!
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! ( Isn't it FUN to kinda blow people away with stuff, at least every once in a while)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! ( Isn't it FUN to kinda blow people away with stuff, at least every once in a while)

Haha, it definitely is! Especially since I'm only 5'2" and I'm around 155 right now but look more petite than that (hello muscle! haha). People don't think I can lug around the weights that I do. The two guys that were talking to me were a trainer-type person and his client. It was nice to have a body builder complimenting me :)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options

NICE!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

Haha, it definitely is! Especially since I'm only 5'2" and I'm around 155 right now but look more petite than that (hello muscle! haha). People don't think I can lug around the weights that I do. The two guys that were talking to me were a trainer-type person and his client. It was nice to have a body builder complimenting me :)

That's AWESOME!! I don't know what it is but now the men in the weight area stop to talk to me now. They're asking what program I'm doing and what my goals are. It's kinda cool. Like being the cool little sister. I feel respected though. Way to go weight-lifting Mamas :)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just finished Workout A, week 3 and kicked *kitten*.

Squats 90 pounds
    rows 90 pounds
    Step-ups 40 pounds.
    push-ups (on my knuckles because of my wrist)
    Prone jackknife was a lot easier because my balance has improved.

I absolutely love lifting. I'm going for 100 pounds with the squats next workout. I think I can do it :)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I just finished Workout A, week 3 and kicked *kitten*.

Squats 90 pounds
    rows 90 pounds
    Step-ups 40 pounds.
    push-ups (on my knuckles because of my wrist)
    Prone jackknife was a lot easier because my balance has improved.

I absolutely love lifting. I'm going for 100 pounds with the squats next workout. I think I can do it :)

Awesome job!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I did Workout 2B last night. I just dont feel like I'm doing my deadlifts correct. I've watched vids on form but it just seems so awkward and not fluid at all.

Swiss ball crunches (as well as prone jackknife) need work because I have poor balance. But overall I'm really enjoying lifting and can tell already that I am losing inches. Scale hasnt moved much since I started but lots of clothes are fitting better!
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage One today,:happy: here’s how it went from the first workout to the last:

Sets and reps as in the book:

Workout A1 to A8
    Squat: 40 lb to 85 lbs
    Push up using swiss ball to step-up bench at 3 steps
    Seated row: 40 lb to 85 lbs
    Step-up 15 lb on low step to 25 lb on a step-up bench at 5 steps
    Prone jackknife: 12 reps to 15 reps, better form each time made it harder each time!

Workout B1 to B8
    Deadlift: 20 lbs to 80 lbs
    Shoulder press: 10 lb to 20 lbs
    Lat pulldown : 40 lbs to 70 lbs
    Lunge: 10 lbs to 16 kg (35 lb)
    Swiss ball crunch 12 reps to 15 reps with 3 kg weight overhead (6.6 lb).

I feel powerful :explode:

I lost about a pound a week in February, have not lost any this month.:grumble: My hip and waist measurements are down and I can pull my jeans on and off without undoing the zipper. :ohwell:

Trouble is I have to have major surgery on my foot in a couple of weeks. I won't be able to walk on it for 6 weeks, and then expect 6 more weeks of easing back into full activity. So...Stage 2 will have to wait while I focus on doing things that don't require weight bearing.

Good luck, everyone. Lift heavy. :flowerforyou:

Nancy
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage One today,:happy: here’s how it went from the first workout to the last:

Sets and reps as in the book:

Workout A1 to A8
    Squat: 40 lb to 85 lbs
    Push up using swiss ball to step-up bench at 3 steps
    Seated row: 40 lb to 85 lbs
    Step-up 15 lb on low step to 25 lb on a step-up bench at 5 steps
    Prone jackknife: 12 reps to 15 reps, better form each time made it harder each time!

Workout B1 to B8
    Deadlift: 20 lbs to 80 lbs
    Shoulder press: 10 lb to 20 lbs
    Lat pulldown : 40 lbs to 70 lbs
    Lunge: 10 lbs to 16 kg (35 lb)
    Swiss ball crunch 12 reps to 15 reps with 3 kg weight overhead (6.6 lb).

I feel powerful :explode:

I lost about a pound a week in February, have not lost any this month.:grumble: My hip and waist measurements are down and I can pull my jeans on and off without undoing the zipper. :ohwell:

Trouble is I have to have major surgery on my foot in a couple of weeks. I won't be able to walk on it for 6 weeks, and then expect 6 more weeks of easing back into full activity. So...Stage 2 will have to wait while I focus on doing things that don't require weight bearing.

Good luck, everyone. Lift heavy. :flowerforyou:

Nancy

Great job Nancy! So nice that your jeans are falling off you - I think! Lol! Did you do AMRAPs? I'm right behind you - I finish this week.

I'm also a veteran of foot surgery, so I know what you are facing. The silver lining is that people are very nice to you when they see the crutches (I nearly kept mine, just in case I felt like I needed a bit of TLC!). Jigsaws are good!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    great job nancy! looks like you made some great progress.

don;t worry about stage 2. it'll be there once you're ready. just focus on healing :smile:
  • melainemelaine
    Options
    So last night I did my first of the 3 set workouts, A5, and today I'm fine?! I'm a bit irritated, I was sweating my sweet bum off and really working hard, according to my HRM as well as to my muscles, and today, nothing, no muscle soreness.
    Does that mean I should have gone harder? I don't think I could have done anymore than I did :ohwell:
  • Nelski
    Options
    So last night I did my first of the 3 set workouts, A5, and today I'm fine?! I'm a bit irritated, I was sweating my sweet bum off and really working hard, according to my HRM as well as to my muscles, and today, nothing, no muscle soreness.
    Does that mean I should have gone harder? I don't think I could have done anymore than I did :ohwell:

Hey, we are almost on the same exercise, I did 5B yesterday. :) If you don't think you could have went harder or heavier I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not always sore but think I'm working hard, and sometimes I think I'm not sore in the morning but it hits later. It's weird, I was kinda struggling on dumbbell shoulder presses yesterday(shoulders have always been my weakest), so you'd think that would be what is sore today but all that is sore is my lower back from upping weight on deadlift.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sore after every workout now, but I'm definitely pushing my limit on what weights I can do. I'm usually close to failure by the last rep, so that's a good sign I'm using appropriate weights. I think after 8 of the same workout, your muscles are somewhat used to it. I suspect switching to Phase 2 is gonna hurt the first week because it's a new set of exercises. Until then, as long as I'm happy with how hard I've worked, I'm not too concerned about soreness.

And for the deadlifts, I watched a YouTube video to get a better idea, but they are a bit of a strange move. I think I'm rushing them too much, but I suspect it's my grip that's causing that. I have trouble holding on. I might need to back off the weight slightly and try and improve my form and grip before going up again. I have a bad habit of increasing weight and then going too fast on the exercise. I don't want to sacrifice form to get higher numbers.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi! You're all doing so well, and the weight increases are inspiring! I just finished WO A2, and am loving it. I upped all my weights this time--wonder if I'll be able to next time, though. They felt pretty heavy today. But the next two workouts are fewer reps, so maybe? Almost fell off the ball at the end of the second set of jacknives! Was worn out at that point.

One question before my next B workout--Deadlifts (of course): Do you put the weight all the way back down on the floor and stand up straight after each lift? Or just touch to the floor and lift again? Or put it down but stay bent over? It really isn't an intuitive motion for me (or wasn't the first day).

Thanks...

Oh! Have to share: After a many-weeks plateau, and not expecting any loss at all, I found when I weighed this morning that I'd finally dropped another 2 lbs. I was very surprised, because I figured starting this program would put off any loss for a while, but yay!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @Nancy - great improvements on your weights! And defintely concentrate on getting better first! The workouts can wait.

@nelski & melaine - I'm right with you as well - did 5A this morning. Got a lower step (was using a folding chair) and it feels like it's actually working better. I was having to push off my non-working foot a bit to get myself up and today I was able to lift myself up without a push and increase my weights and it felt like I was really working my core more.

As for soreness - I really haven't been sore at all for the last few weeks, but I know I'm pushing myself because I can barely finish my sets.
  • melainemelaine
    Options
    @Nancy - great improvements on your weights! And defintely concentrate on getting better first! The workouts can wait.

@nelski & melaine - I'm right with you as well - did 5A this morning. Got a lower step (was using a folding chair) and it feels like it's actually working better. I was having to push off my non-working foot a bit to get myself up and today I was able to lift myself up without a push and increase my weights and it felt like I was really working my core more.

As for soreness - I really haven't been sore at all for the last few weeks, but I know I'm pushing myself because I can barely finish my sets.

Yes, I can barely finish my sets too, so it seems all fine. Glad I'm not the only one, hahaha! I'm so looking forward to stage 2 though, as I'm getting a bit bored now...

We can do it! :happy:
  • Nelski
    Options

One question before my next B workout--Deadlifts (of course): Do you put the weight all the way back down on the floor and stand up straight after each lift? Or just touch to the floor and lift again? Or put it down but stay bent over? It really isn't an intuitive motion for me (or wasn't the first day).

I may still need to work on my deadlift form but I think you are supposed to put it down on the floor for a sec as you are still bent over then pick up again. I wanna think the book had said something about just tapping it down in the begging but as you start lifting more weight to put it down on the ground. I have to read it again to be sure.