Options

Replies

• kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I managed to get Stage One finished last week and Special Workout A- but then I went away for the weekend and got ill afterwards so I haven't managed to finish the Stage yet! :sad:

I am tempted to leave Special Workout B as I have now been forced into a week off but I won't feel right until I have done it- so going to get that done as soon as I am better (hopefully this wknd) & then move straight on to Stage Two. Will post results up as soon as I am done :smile:
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i decided to meet with a trainer this week to go over my form on squats, deadlifts, lunges, seated row (cause i don't feel anything except in my biceps) and lat pull downs. the owner of the gym felt weird setting me up with a session that i'm going to basically be controlling, but it's not like i'm not paying for it! i think i talked him into it a bit :)

i've been doing squats in the smith machine but i've read so many bad things about this piece of equipment that i want to switch to the power rack, but unless i know my form is right i'm worried about having to balance the weight and do the squat without falling over. hoping he can alleviate that issue. and my back feels like it's doing the most work during deadlifts and i'm not sure that's correct.

after i meet with him i'm thinking i might start from the first workout again, because at least then i'll know i'm doing it properly. if only i had thought of doing this before i started the proram!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I completed my first B workout. I officialy hate lunges. :grumble: I hated them through every single one and I see no changing my mind about them in the future. However, I WILL do them. I do feel pretty good, though. I had minimal soreness from Monday's workout, so I'm hoping for the same this time around.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I had a minor business trip scare the past 24 hours, I nearly got sent to San Diego with 12 hours notice for a week, which meant a week off from NROLFW! But luckily I don't have to go, so tonight is workout 5B. I like doing 3 sets per exercise, it makes the workout a bit longer. I was finishing in 20 minutes before and I just felt like it was too short, haha. The 3 sets for workout A got me to a solid 30 minutes for the workout.

I've been doing my squats on the squat rack and it is a bit difficult to keep your balance, but it really engages your core to do it so you get a better benefit from it. I've never used the Smith machine, I don't like the idea of the machine helping me since the bar is constrained in one direction. The only thing I've used it for is to set the bar closer to the floor and do pullups underneath it, haha.

I'm supposed to be running a 5K on Sunday, but the weather is looking terrible for the weekend. I've never run in anything but drizzling rain before and I honestly can't stand being out in the rain all together. If it's raining significantly on Sunday morning, I'll probably pass on the race. It sucks, but I'm not going to go be miserable for an hour.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had a minor business trip scare the past 24 hours, I nearly got sent to San Diego with 12 hours notice for a week, which meant a week off from NROLFW! But luckily I don't have to go, so tonight is workout 5B. I like doing 3 sets per exercise, it makes the workout a bit longer. I was finishing in 20 minutes before and I just felt like it was too short, haha. The 3 sets for workout A got me to a solid 30 minutes for the workout.

I've been doing my squats on the squat rack and it is a bit difficult to keep your balance, but it really engages your core to do it so you get a better benefit from it. I've never used the Smith machine, I don't like the idea of the machine helping me since the bar is constrained in one direction. The only thing I've used it for is to set the bar closer to the floor and do pullups underneath it, haha.

I'm supposed to be running a 5K on Sunday, but the weather is looking terrible for the weekend. I've never run in anything but drizzling rain before and I honestly can't stand being out in the rain all together. If it's raining significantly on Sunday morning, I'll probably pass on the race. It sucks, but I'm not going to go be miserable for an hour.

This is one thing I am a bit worried about. I just got some more responsibilities at work (which is a good thing) but I'm going to have to do quite a bit more travel and I came in at a busy part of the project. I was in DC for a few days 2 weeks ago, am probably going to Seattle in early April (right before Easter... flight home will probably be on good friday, which will probably suck, I have never flown right before a holiday) Georgia for late April, and DC again in May... no idea how I'm going to keep the workouts going during all that.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

This is one thing I am a bit worried about. I just got some more responsibilities at work (which is a good thing) but I'm going to have to do quite a bit more travel and I came in at a busy part of the project. I was in DC for a few days 2 weeks ago, am probably going to Seattle in early April (right before Easter... flight home will probably be on good friday, which will probably suck, I have never flown right before a holiday) Georgia for late April, and DC again in May... no idea how I'm going to keep the workouts going during all that.

If I had to go, I probably would have tried to do the workouts in the hotel gym. Also, a lot of gyms will allow you to get a 7 day free trial pass. When I went to Long Beach, CA last year there was a gym right next door to the hotel that I could have gotten a free pass at (I overheard some military guys talking about it at breakfast, haha). It's an option to keep it going. Usually when I travel though, I hit the gym every day for half an hour of cardio or something. I could probably do a modified strength workout with whatever weight equipment they had.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Feeling discouraged this evening, for two reasons:

1. I realised I had miscalculated on my last A workout and wasn't lifting 99.9kg on the squat (I'm embarrassed to say how far below that I was!), and

2. I seem to be going backwards with my shoulder press; I couldn't lift as much as I did last time.

OK, so 1. was just a silly mistake, but as for 2, surely I should be getting stronger, not weaker? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have definitely l had days where I had to take a step back on some moves that I had been doing more on. Sometimes I can point to something like being tired, TOM, or something and other times I don't know why but I usually feel like I can take it up again the next time so wait and see. Do not despair! I think my progress has been uneven at times but it's still progress!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

1. I realised I had miscalculated on my last A workout and wasn't lifting 99.9kg on the squat (I'm embarrassed to say how far below that I was!), and

2. I seem to be going backwards with my shoulder press; I couldn't lift as much as I did last time.

OK, so 1. was just a silly mistake, but as for 2, surely I should be getting stronger, not weaker? Has anyone else experienced this?

I agree with kcfaber - many things could cause you to not be able to lift as much on certain days. Overdoing exercise on "off" days, not getting enough sleep, TOM, weakened immuned system, etc. Just try to get back up there on your next workout.

and don't be embarrassed at how much you are squatting!!! Everyone starts at different levels and we all have to start somwhere. What's most important is that you are getting stronger as you go.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had to reduce my weights sometime - and then build back up. Don't be discouraged....it is all happening for a reason.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I had that problem with the push-ups. I was feeling pretty good with my progress and thought maybe I was ready to move to the floor, but could barely get through 12 at a 45 degree incline in my last workout. I did have less rest days in between for this workout so I figure it was because of that.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options

maggie, i totally went backwards on my row and step ups today. i couldn't increase at all on the row and found it even harder than the previous workout at the same weight! and i had to bump down to 22.5 from 25 on the step. it happens. maybe an extra rest day would help? don't get down about it, the strength will come. xoxo
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I completed my first B workout. I officialy hate lunges. :grumble: I hated them through every single one and I see no changing my mind about them in the future. However, I WILL do them. I do feel pretty good, though. I had minimal soreness from Monday's workout, so I'm hoping for the same this time around.
    I hated them too. I was amazed that such a simple movement could be the cause of so much soreness! And my form completely sucked because it was just too painful to lower myself.

But I kept on with the workouts and while lunges still aren't easy, they're nowhere near painful and my form has definitely improved. Just keep at it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    got my behind kicked by 5a today:laugh:

it was so bad that i was barely able to complete my usual 15 minute post lift cardio. my limbs did not want to work and when they did it was very slow. i usually climb a bit over 1000 ft on the versaclimber but today it was only 740 ft

i also ate 800 calories over today (all good stuff) because i was pretty hungry

cant wait to see what 5b has in store for me
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I just joined this group. I am half way through Stage 1 and loving it!

I actually did stage 1 & 2 a couple years ago but slacked and never finished, then did other exercise in between. I'm glad I'm giving it another try.
    I am doing this at home so a couple of my exercises are modified because I don't have a cable machine.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I completed Stage 1 Workout B2 yesterday. I got a set of 8# dumbbells & an exercise ball to add to my "home living room gym" . Found I couldn't even lift the higher weighted dumbbells off the shelf at the store...so, I will make do with the 8#, 5#, 3# dumbbells that I have, for now.

Don't laugh at me.. but I got up at the crack of screech yesterday to do my workout BEFORE the rest of my real day. And I was PROUD that I was able to use two 8# dumbbells for the single leg Romanian deadlifts & for the shoulder press. I used 5# dumbells for the pullovers, and was able to do my lunges with a chair beside me & didn't USE the chair for stability on the 2nd set. The swiss ball crunch was very easy.

Results that I am feeling TODAY are more fluidity in my joints & slightly sore in serratas anterior & anterior deltoids... which is a good thing I am thinking. I know 8# is probably considered "barbie weights"... but I gotta start somewhere, right?

:) J
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Got through 2A last night. 1A and 1B didnt seem like enough, everyone saying they were sore and I wasnt really having any problems except in my hips after the deadlifts so last night I ended up doing a 3rd set each of squats, push-ups and rows.

The step-ups arent bad but the prone jackknives, I cant finish a set to save my life! if there is anything that I am not going to like its those. I'm starting from "obese" and it also really sucks that the jackknives are at the END of the workout because by the time I get to it, I"m already feeling fatigued. If that was part of the design.. UGH!

The most I could do at one time last night was 9 and I know I'm not doing them as designed - shown in the book. I can draw my knees up toward my chest but I cannot lift my butt/torso upward at the same time. For now that will have to do until I get stronger.

Last night, while I was doing some warm-up on the treadmill I saw some guy doing deadlifts TOTALLY wrong. I'm not familiar with equipment names but it was a stationary machine with a bar that moved up and down within a "rack" You could lock it into place at various heights and add weights. Could be used for bench press as well as squats and deadlifts. Anways, this guy is doing squats but he's got his knees pushed out and his arms reaching down between his legs to grab the bar, then leaning backwards as he's pushing up with his legs. Looked really funny.
    When he was done, I asked him if it was a modified deadlift and he was like "I dont know, ask that guy, he showed me how to do them" - My first real exposure to "Broscience" I guess LOL

Anyways.. Feeling sore today, which makes me smile a little. Made progress on all except Step-ups. I went too high on 1A to start off and had to back down so I could finish both sets this time. Loving everything for the most part so far!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I completed Stage 1 Workout B2 yesterday. I got a set of 8# dumbbells & an exercise ball to add to my "home living room gym" . Found I couldn't even lift the higher weighted dumbbells off the shelf at the store...so, I will make do with the 8#, 5#, 3# dumbbells that I have, for now.

Don't laugh at me.. but I got up at the crack of screech yesterday to do my workout BEFORE the rest of my real day. And I was PROUD that I was able to use two 8# dumbbells for the single leg Romanian deadlifts & for the shoulder press. I used 5# dumbells for the pullovers, and was able to do my lunges with a chair beside me & didn't USE the chair for stability on the 2nd set. The swiss ball crunch was very easy.

Results that I am feeling TODAY are more fluidity in my joints & slightly sore in serratas anterior & anterior deltoids... which is a good thing I am thinking. I know 8# is probably considered "barbie weights"... but I gotta start somewhere, right?

:) J

That's exactly right - you gotta start somewhere! Great job - and I love getting up early to get my workout in. I'm up at 5 am on workout days.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Finished 4A today and I'm finally starting to lose some weight after 3 weeks - was down 1/2 lb. The weights are starting to really get tougher as I've increased them at every workout, hopefully I can continue increasing in the second half of Stage 1. Weights this morning

squat - 90 lbs
    seated row (cable) - 70 lbs
    pushups - standard form
    step ups - 55 lbs (olympic bar)