Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 1 today and did my first set of squats using only the oly bar, then added 10 pounds for the second set. I thought I was going to have difficulty with the prone jacknife, but actually did well! I was worried about falling off the ball, but that didn't happen...thank goodness!

I did, however, hit a snag when I had to do step-ups. My little, dinky gym doesn't have any steps or boxes. I did find a small, platform maybe six inches high, so I used that. Not productive at all. I think I'll have to use a bench next time, which is going to make things a bit harder. Overall, it was a pretty good workout!

Great job getting your first workout done! I've been doing my step-ups on a sturdy kitchen chair (work out from home) and it kicks my butt everytime- lol!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great job getting your first workout done! I've been doing my step-ups on a sturdy kitchen chair (work out from home) and it kicks my butt everytime- lol!

Thank you! Being that I need my butt kicked, using the bench will do the trick next time! :happy:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Blimey! Just finished 7A, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. My squat weight converted from kilos to 99.9lbs - how close is that?! I really want to make 100lbs, so hoping for a little bit more by Friday. I'll have to eat a lot more protein and try to sleep a lot!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Blimey! Just finished 7A, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. My squat weight converted from kilos to 99.9lbs - how close is that?! I really want to make 100lbs, so hoping for a little bit more by Friday. I'll have to eat a lot more protein and try to sleep a lot!

You've got this!! Let us know how it goes!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get a "lifter's high"? I know people talk about the runner's high all the time. I'm a runner, but I don't know if I really have ever had a runner's high. I know that I definitely get a "lifter's high" after my workouts. Has anyone else experienced that?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I did A6 tonight and just hit 100lbs. I was at 95 and just made myself do it. I also accomplished one of my main goals tonight, I can pick up my 8-year-old!! (he's only 80lbs.)
    Congrats to all those starting this week! Best of luck to you.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options

maggie, you're my inspiration!

i did 6b today.
    deadlift 85
    shoulder press 17.5
    lat pulldown 85
    lunge 27.5
    ball crunch 27.5x25

my questions of the week are:
    1. is a deadlift:
    a. bend down, pick up bar, straighten up, bend down, put down bar, straighten up, repeat.
    or
    b. bend down, pick up bar, straighten up, repeat

and,

2. is it ok to stay in lunge position and just bend and straighten at knees, or do i need to be stepping back to original neutral footing between each lunge?
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Question:

I want to change to using a bar for my squats as my hands start hurting despite gloves with going higher than 8kg per hand.

My gym hasn't got a barbell rack so you load the bars on the floor, which I suppose makes it hard to get overhead.

Any recommendations how to get the bar to my shoulders safely?
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I left my book at the gym today! Luckily they found it and are holding it for me.

I think I did workout 5A (whatever the 9th workout is as I don't have the book in front of me) and I fell off the swiss ball for the first time, twice.

I'm considering changing gyms. I belong to Planet Fitness and the only barbells they have are Smith Machines and they're invariably in use by someone large.

I just started and did my first 2 workouts this week but I am already seeing this problem. I don't want to use smith machines for squats since they tend to lead to bad form so I'm planning to just use dumbbells. (I just did body weight the first time) for the dead lifts mine have some of the curved bars that are separate from the machines so I used those.
  • kag1526
    Options

maggie, you're my inspiration!

i did 6b today.
    deadlift 85
    shoulder press 17.5
    lat pulldown 85
    lunge 27.5
    ball crunch 27.5x25

1. is a deadlift:
    a. bend down, pick up bar, straighten up, bend down, put down bar, straighten up, repeat.
    or

and,

2. is it ok to stay in lunge position and just bend and straighten at knees, or do i need to be stepping back to original neutral footing between each lunge?

I had the same question on deadlifts so I found a video on how to do them on you tube. The trainer bent down picked up the bar and then each time when he went down again kept the bar just barely off the ground. (So option b)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    1. is a deadlift:
    or

and,

I'm doing b) for the deadlift, i.e. not putting the bar down, but I am stepping back to neutral footing between lunges. But hey, who am I to say?!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    1. is a deadlift:
    or

and,

I'm doing b) for the deadlift, i.e. not putting the bar down, but I am stepping back to neutral footing between lunges. But hey, who am I to say?!

i think i've been doing it wrong! i've been doing a for the deadlift, and i have a really hard time stepping back to neutral without losing my balance. i'll give the deadlift sets a try without putting the bar down. that might help maintain form, but i think i'll keep the lunges where they are. we're getting close to stage 2! i'm about ready to reread the parts in the book that cover it!
  • kag1526
    Options
    1. is a deadlift:
    or

and,

i think i've been doing it wrong! i've been doing a for the deadlift, and i have a really hard time stepping back to neutral without losing my balance. i'll give the deadlift sets a try without putting the bar down. that might help maintain form, but i think i'll keep the lunges where they are. we're getting close to stage 2! i'm about ready to reread the parts in the book that cover it!

I have a hard time with the lunges too. It was the only one I didn't complete the full sets of during my first B workout yesterday. But I have always hated lunges. I have trouble bending my knees enough to get down that low.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    1. is a deadlift:
    or

and,

You can set the bar down if you need to readjust your hands or something like that, but no need to stand up. There are times I will set the bar down and readjust my hands or pause for a second, but I stay in a bent down position..

On the lunges, you can stay in the lunge position, but you get a better core workout if you return to the neutral position.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've finally passed the halfway point of Phase 1! I did workout 5A yesterday and it was nice doing 3 sets of everything. I was thrown out of my groove a little in the beginning when I had to wait for the foam padding thingy for the squat bar. But I've managed to really increase my numbers since the start.

Squats went from 60 lbs to start up to 115 lbs yesterday (the squat rack made a huge difference)
    Deadlifts went from 50 lbs to 85 lbs
    Pushups went from 30 degree incline to on the floor on my toes
    Lunges went from holding two 15 lb kettlebells up to two 25 lb kettlebells
    Step ups went from holding a 10 lb medicine ball to holding two 20 lb kettlebells

I don't have my sheet so I forget the rest of the numbers, but it's definitely been a great improvement! I haven't lost any weight but I'm curious to see my waist measurements and stuff at the end of Phase 1. I've got workout 5B tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll get 6A in this week. I'm likely spending Friday evening with my boyfriend, since I have a 5K Sunday morning and he's flying out to Arizona for a business trip next week on Sunday afternoon.
  • kmorris246
    Options
    I've finally passed the halfway point of Phase 1! I did workout 5A yesterday and it was nice doing 3 sets of everything. I was thrown out of my groove a little in the beginning when I had to wait for the foam padding thingy for the squat bar. But I've managed to really increase my numbers since the start.

Squats went from 60 lbs to start up to 115 lbs yesterday (the squat rack made a huge difference)
    Deadlifts went from 50 lbs to 85 lbs
    Pushups went from 30 degree incline to on the floor on my toes
    Lunges went from holding two 15 lb kettlebells up to two 25 lb kettlebells
    Step ups went from holding a 10 lb medicine ball to holding two 20 lb kettlebells

I don't have my sheet so I forget the rest of the numbers, but it's definitely been a great improvement! I haven't lost any weight but I'm curious to see my waist measurements and stuff at the end of Phase 1. I've got workout 5B tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll get 6A in this week. I'm likely spending Friday evening with my boyfriend, since I have a 5K Sunday morning and he's flying out to Arizona for a business trip next week on Sunday afternoon.

Sounds like you're doing awesome! Congrats to you!
  • kmorris246
    Options
    1. is a deadlift:
    or

and,

You can set the bar down if you need to readjust your hands or something like that, but no need to stand up. There are times I will set the bar down and readjust my hands or pause for a second, but I stay in a bent down position..

On the lunges, you can stay in the lunge position, but you get a better core workout if you return to the neutral position.

I second this on the lunges. I often feel like I'm losing my balance, but just regaining it and/or keeping it steady really gives my core a good workout!
  • kmorris246
    Options
    Just completed workout 4A today, and oh my goodness I had a rough time. I had a stomach bug over the weekend, and today was the first day I've attempted any type of workout. Don't know if this was what made the difference or not?? Gotta love those prone jackknives though!!!! My legs totally gave out today on #14 of the second set, and I totally busted my butt on the floor- lol! (good thing I work out from home :-)
  • kmorris246
    Options
    Also, can anyone give me any guidance on how to set up my macros on my food diary? 40/30/30

• kag1526
    Options
    Also, can anyone give me any guidance on how to set up my macros on my food diary? 40/30/30

Click on "My Home" then "Goals" choose to change goals at the bottom.

Pick the custom option and you can change them on that page.