Stage 5 Questions

Options

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Awwwww wtf!!! Where in the world did I get the idea we had to do 3 BWM? I looked back and have no idea where I thought I saw that. Oh well, I guess I deserve it, since the last stage (3 I think) that had BWM I didn't even realize we were supposed to be doing them until the last two workouts, so I guess I made up for it now! I feel like such a dummy.

I don't like the ytwl at all either, I really suck at the T for some reason.

I also wonder why we haven't done squats since stage 1 too, I miss them! I don't ever look ahead, but maybe in stage 6 or 7....

I really tried to push myself and up weights each workout this time too. I felt like I needed to since it wasn't any new exercises, kwim?
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    alright we gotta keep each other motivated!! i really want to kick *kitten* for the rest of the stages.
    i usually do elliptical or sprints for HIIT, which i've been slacking on lately. i don't like YTWL either, i'm never sure if i'm doing it right since you have to change your grip from neutral to underhand and what not so much. i miss back squats too! i looked ahead and they return in stage 7! so i'm really looking forward to that. are you guys gonna do stage 6?
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! We got our own little group going and I think we can totally keep each other motivated!

LOL on the BWM x3. I thought maybe I was wrong but checked the book again. Good Lord - I don't know how you did it 3 times!

But I have to say we did "jump squats" at bootcamp today and I'm definitely better at them.

I am going to sub back squats for single leg squat...I'm not very flexible and I find the single legs awkward and like I'm not getting a very strong workout. And I miss the back squat!!!

I've been lax on the cardio this stage too, and very determined to squeeze it in this week!!!

I am definitely going to do stage 6, although I may need a trainer to show me how the belt thing works, etc.

Only 4 reps ladies - UP. THOSE. WEIGHTS.
    :tongue:
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Okay, I'm super psyched about Stage 6 now! I workout at home and had been meaning to ask my brother if he still had a pull up bar (that I gave him for Christmas like 5 years ago). Well I finally remembered today and hooked it up just to make sure it would work in my doorway. And I tried it out, just to see what would happen. Well, let me say first I've never in my life been able to do a pull up, I'm the one dangling, not moving an inch, with my legs trying to climb up the wall. So I tried it today.... And I did one pull up!!!!!! I tried a second and got about halfway and tried again and got about a quarter of the way up. I'm so freaking excited. I can't believe my arms have that much strength now, I'm truly amazed. I can't wait to do the actual stage next. I only have one stage 5 workout left this Monday, but I'm taking a week off I think. I'll keep in touch with both stages, bc I don't think there's anyone in 6 either right now.

Definitely UP those weights in stage 5!!!

Which boot camp are you doing? Is that the name or a specific persons DVD? I've been doing HIIT elliptical or JM six week six pack.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    :drinker: Wow, I'm afraid to even try doing a pull up...I don't think I'm there yet! My bootcamp is just a Sunday morning session with a trainer...there's me and usually about 3 other girls in a studio and he has us do cardio intervals mixed with strength training (free weights usually...) It really keeps me accountable and it's only $10 a class!!!!

It also prevents me from indulging too much on a Saturday night when I know I have to be up early the next morning!

I vow to you gals that I am going to sneak in an extra cardio tomorrow!!! Probably a run with some intervals...

Anyone else have a fitbit? I'm going to finally sync it to mfp!!!
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I actually don't know what a fitbit is, I hear and read about people having them all the time on here, but I don't know what it actually is. Do tell..... Are they worth it, what do they do, do you use and like yours?
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    It's a little gadget you wear on your bra strap that tracks your calories burned, steps, distance...it even tracks your sleep pattern which is SOOOO cool...

It definitely encourages me to move more throughout the day - I even went for a walk after dinner tonight! Trying to get in restorative cardio exercises between NROL...

So on to Workout 2A tomorrow morning! Hope the snowstorm stays away!
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Okay I just researched fitbits online, which one do you have, the One? My thoughts on it being clipped on my clothes is that some of the workout things I do, have me on my stomach or back on the floor, does it ever get in your way? I have a bday coming up next month, and don't have any thoughts so far, was thinking I might ask hubby for this. Is the wristband for sleep bulky and annoying when you're actually trying to sleep? My husband told me a while ago he wouldn't buy me any more electronics for gifts ever again, because I ask for things, he buys them and I never use them. So I better be ready to use this! I'm just afraid it will be annoying clipped on my clothes, or to sleep with. Is it bulky looking if attached to your bra? Any thoughts?
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    It is honestly the easiest gadget ever! It is the ONE and the size of your thumb roughly. It took me a few days to figure out just where to clip in bra so it wouldn`t fall off. Now it is second nature to me, and I love checking throughout the day how many steps I got in!

The sleep band is super easy too - just a wristband.

However, if you have a pattern of buying gadgets and not using them, it may not be for you! I love both my HRM and the fitbit! I guess I like to crunch the numbers and figure things out...

...so did 2A of stage 5...everything went GREAT except I freakin pulled my adductor again during the damn BWM in the middle of a squat! At least it was the end of the workout and I was able to push through to the end. I did BWM in 3:24 the first time and then 3:08 so almost broke my goal of under 3:00!

BTW, does anyone else find the BWM easier the SECOND time you do it...
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I always get better times on the second (or third, doh) BWM. You'd think it'd be the opposite bc you're more tired, but every time, I'd do better the the last. Sorry about the pulled muscle, I did that too on, I think, the same workout, I pushed through too and was fine by the next one, did hurt though!

I think I'm going to ask for the fitbit for my bday, I don't know if I'll wear it all day long, but I've always been curious about calories burned during my workouts. So it doesn't function as a HRM but it does seem to give accurate calories burned in workouts? Do you probably also need a HRM to get accurate calories burned, or just the fitbit. Sorry so many questions!

I miss lifting on the rest week! Can't wait to start Stage 6!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    If you're looking for an accurate count for a workout, go for a HRM, although even those are not a good indication with weight training. Apparently, HRMs are only really good for pure cardio sessions.

Fitbits also aren't good for exercise necessarily because, for example, you can be very stationary during weight training...

Really it's a glorified pedometer! And my goal this week is to get in 10,000 steps a day average...only got to about 8300 today so will have to make up for that difference tomorrow!

On to 2B in 7 hours! (better go get some rest!!!)
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    So I ordered a fitbit from amazon before I read your latest response, read your response and tried to cancel the order bc I agree I think a HRM would be better for what I want. But of course I was too late to cancel it, so I'll just have to return it and start researching HRMs, any suggestions on brands? Good luck with 2B, up the weight!!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Oh No! Wish I'd responded earlier! I have the Polar FT40. I love it. Easy to use. I love how you can display the cals burned or your heart rate in really large numbers. I also had NO idea it could be read when running on a treadmill, etc. So neat to see the heart rate displayed accurately!

I always use it for my HIIT and try to get my heart rate to 170 for a while....then I let it drop to the 150s...once it does that, I rev it up again! It's very motivating!

However, I also love how I just found out today that I can sync my fitbit with my phone for constant updates! Awesome!

Did 5B today, but really modified it. Did ones I "enjoy" more but still hit similar areas...e.g. back squat instead of one-legged squat, row machine instead of bent over row, etc. I"m actually going to look forward to 5B now that I customized it to what I like!

Does anyone else think their back isn't developing much? I really suck at squeezing my shoulder blades together properly and making sure those muscles work!
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I actually took some progress pics before starting stage 5, it was the first time I had my husband take some of my back. And I was actually pretty impressed with how muscular looking my back was getting, though unfortunately I don't have a starting pic to compare it to. I do JM six pack abs for cardio a lot and one of the exercises they do is called back extensions. You lay on your stomach, arms pointing straight above your head in a superman pose. Then you kind of lift up and do almost like a lat pull down, and lift your feet/legs at the same time. Then back to flat, straight superman, repeat. I sometimes sub that for prone cobra. The video says it's good for your back.

I bought some BF calipers from amazon too, I'm going to measure tonight, should have done that from the beginning too. I'm so tired of my scale. I don't really have much to lose anymore, we have a hate hate relationship at this point, I think.

Glad you tweaked your workout to work for you. I'm starting my first stage 6 workout Tuesday, can't wait!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Em - I have never done the calliper testing...I still think it would be somewhat inaccurate for me because of my mummy tummy...but who knows...I would love to try one of those bod pods but there isnt one in this area...

Good luck with stage 6....I will be looking at your progress!
  • MissSifaka
    MissSifaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too missed the back squat and found I HATED the dumbbell single-arm overhead squat. I almost dropped the weight on my head and decided I should not do these for personal safty reasons. I switched workout A around a bit, start with back squat and moved one-armed dumbbell squat to C1. I no longer dread A. Yay! Good luck everyone, have fun!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Thanks for the input MissSafaka! At least I'm not the only one! But you mentioned "C" workout...hmmm...is that stage 6??

This morning I had DOMS in my arms from bootcamp yesterday. Yay! I also snuck in a quick cardio today - outdoor run for 20 minutes. Planning a JM ab workout in the morning. Then stage 5 week 3 begins Wednesday!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    okay, i'm still here! haha. i think my back is developing somewhat..my shoulders are where i'm seeing most of my progress. but the thing i'm disappointed with is my abs. i'm not really seeing much definition there STILL!

did any of you ever try the bar for the bench press? i think i'm going to but i'm kind of intimidated. but getting two 25 pound dumb bells in position for the move is too difficult!
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not loving the progress of my abs either, which of course is what I want to improve the most! I plan to do NR Abs after this.

We talked somewhere above about having trouble with the dumbbells too and how we were planning to try the barbell. I was on my last workout but it worked fine switching.

Cangirl, have you done the JM ab workout before? Oh that side plank is killer. I'm getting ready to start level 2 probably tomorrow. Also stating stage 6 tomorrow. I have to have my husband hang a piece of trim on the inside of our laundry room door so I can workout in the same room where all my stuff is, for the pull up bar. I really feel lazy on my rest week. I prefer just to take a day or so off, but my family was here, so it's been like 8 days, so ready to get back in routine!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    I feel so much better on days I exercise!!! I feel so much more sluggish on rest days...Over the last 8 months, I've only taken 2 rest weeks. Can't stand them! Who knew I'd *ever* say that?!!:laugh:

Good luck with stage 6. I'll be trackin ya!