Stage 5 Questions

Options

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Omg ladies, I'm so freaking sore from the first stage 6 workout. You think it's gonna be easy bc it's short - NOT! I haven't been this sore since the beginning!

And I agree, I feel way better on days I workout, I hate skipping days and don't want to take a whole week off again for a while.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hiya everyone. I just finished Stage 4 and will be joining you all here very soon. Next week, I'm working with my trainer focusing on my weak points (shoulders!!!) and well catch up with y'all maybe next Thursday or Saturday! I remember Stage 3, I actually liked it, except for BWM. Can't wait to see if that continues here in Stage 5
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I may take a break from New Rules next week so I can attend some classes (I'm on March break) and I never get to go to any weekday classes...we'll see...?
  • suelegal
    Options
    Ok, so tell me about those shoes! Are they lifting shoes? They're about as cute as can be!!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better on days I exercise!!! I feel so much more sluggish on rest days...Over the last 8 months, I've only taken 2 rest weeks. Can't stand them! Who knew I'd *ever* say that?!!:laugh:

Good luck with stage 6. I'll be trackin ya!
    Same here! Except i've been taking too many rest days. I did workout 3A (or maybe it was 4A..it had been about a week since i lifted so it gets hard to keep track!) and i am SO sore today! it feels good though. Do any of you do plank variations that aren't in the book? i want to try something different for those. also rented new rules for abs from the library, already thinking about doing that when i'm done with this program!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Ok, so tell me about those shoes! Are they lifting shoes? They're about as cute as can be!!

hahaha of course I went and changed my profile picture so you can't see them anymore. I LOVE my shoes. They're just a simple Adidas but I love the neon colours:)

How's it going Sue? You done yet?

RE: Plank variations - I'm still not strong to do some of those crazy ones, but I try to do full ones sometimes which I didn't think were harder until my trainer told me to unlock my arms....big difference! Yikes!

I'm enjoying my week "off" ....went to bootcamp class today where we did a ton of bodyweight squats and lunges. It was like *nothing*!!!!! And the wall sit --- Geez, I coulda held that forever! Woo hoo!!!
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm finally done with stage 5! It took FOREVER. I took a week off, and then got sick, and then had to do some work-related travel. I'm so glad to be moving on to stage 6, and I'm looking forward to not having to spend almost two hours at they gym in order to finish each workout. Hurrah!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    See you in stage 6, I'm about half through it now. It is short, but man it's tough, you'll be sore after 1A!!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Thanks for checking in - - still in my week off of NROL, but looking forward to another 2 weeks of stage 5...

Love the bootcamp class - I am lighter, fitter, stronger...
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Did the first workout of Stage 5 today including BWM. Oh how it all comes back to me lol.

I have developed a serious imbalance so my left side is quite a bit weaker and I've had to drop the weight. It's the side I pulled my glute on Stage 3, which the romanian deadlifts really seem to hit hard! I've added 2 additional sets for my left side to try to address the imbalance.

The workout went well on the whole. I've incorporated some of the stretching exercises from Supercharged (which I got for hubby), but my flexibility is clearly an issue which I need to work on. Will have the joy of foam rolling later (ugh).

Did 3 sets today, with more reps as I haven't upped the weight. I might try to up the weight/sets and drop the reps next time - we'll see. Form comes first lol
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Did the first workout of Stage 5 today including BWM. Oh how it all comes back to me lol.

I have developed a serious imbalance so my left side is quite a bit weaker and I've had to drop the weight. It's the side I pulled my glute on Stage 3, which the romanian deadlifts really seem to hit hard! I've added 2 additional sets for my left side to try to address the imbalance.

The workout went well on the whole. I've incorporated some of the stretching exercises from Supercharged (which I got for hubby), but my flexibility is clearly an issue which I need to work on. Will have the joy of foam rolling later (ugh).

Did 3 sets today, with more reps as I haven't upped the weight. I might try to up the weight/sets and drop the reps next time - we'll see. Form comes first lol

I did the same thing today...I had pulled my right groin during the Bulgarian split squat of stage 4...I found I had to use lighter weight for the single leg Romanian deadlifts today...it was a bummer but what can you do...?
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    I did the same thing today...I had pulled my right groin during the Bulgarian split squat of stage 4...I found I had to use lighter weight for the single leg Romanian deadlifts today...it was a bummer but what can you do...?

Yup, just got to get on right? Funnily enough my right groin isn't very happy today at all. I think I may have squatted too wide on Tuesday as my concentration was focused on not messing up my left glute. It isn't painful when I'm active and I can't recall it being particularly painful last night when using foam roller, but I can feel a definite pull / soreness when at rest :frown: I've taken ibuprofen and should hopefully be OK for 5B tomorrow (if I can squeeze it in as supposed to be going out for the day with hubby if it doesn't snow too badly), otherwise it'll be Saturday.

All in all not the most productive week. Took the week off too as had to use or lose the holiday hrs. Was expecting warmer weather with a view to getting some outside jobs done and March has been really warm the last few years in the UK before the usual rain and British Summer kicks in. Not this year - heavy snow forecast for tomorrow/Saturday. Crazy Spring so far, maybe I need to try a nip of rum/brandy in a hip flask before my next workout :bigsmile:
  • suelegal
    Options
    I did my 1st 5A yestereday, 4 sets of everything. I didn't add reps, I did the first rep of each lift with ending weight from stage 3, and increased everything by at least 5 pounds. My weakest link is still my shoulders/chest/back incline presses frustrate the heck out of me! I can do 25dbs but just can't make that next step to 30. BLEH I can only press maybe 1 and then nothing more. Same with the rows. I can pull 75 but really lose form on 80.

I have yet to make a full 120 sec on planks without dropping but i get back up and finish so I guess that's good! Only had time for 1 BWM. Yikes I forgot how exhausting that is!!!!

I think I really need to increase weights here, because of the lower reps.

Hope you all get those stiffies eased out and no more issues!!!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Nice work Sue :smile:
    Did 5B this afternoon which went ok. Upped weights on most exercises except the partial squat which I did BW only. Hoping all is good again for my next workout.
  • suelegal
    Options
    I did 5B this morning! It's a lot of back/shoulders and core, aside from the RDL/pulls. I upped 'em all, except the RDLs and the wide grip pulldowns. I'm at 75 on both and lost form on the 4th set of RDLs. I also stayed at 5# for the YTWLs but I will go up next workout. But I went up to 30 on the squat from the box, I went up to 45 on the back extensions, and my choice for the flexions is a standing side flexion holding 45#. I've been doing these since Stage 2, so to get a good workout I am doing isometric holds at the bottom of the flex. For the hip flexion I'm using that support rack that you hang from and tuck your knees up. I am unbelievably stronger since Stage 3! I could only do 4 successfully and with any control. Then my shoulders would collapse and I would have to stop, regain my form. Today, 6 easily on all 4 sets! YEA!!

I really love this Stage, even with the BWM and 120 sec planks!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options

I agree! I prefer 5B though to 5A, but I'll take either over Stage 2/4 any day :laugh:

Cangirl - hope your pull is feeling better, mine is tight but not painful, so being very careful whilst trying to make sure I work it properly.

2nd A workout completed today - did the full 4 sets of 4 reps where required and even did the 3 planks at 120secs followed by the BWM! Really took my time and warmed up fully. Was able to up the weights some although I'm still perhaps a little over cautious. I'm finding the adjustable dumbbells I have at home quite restrictive, particularly for the overhead squat as they're awkward due to their physical size. Wish I could afford a full hex set, but I'll make do :smile:

Was stuck for ages at 10kg each hand the DB incline shoulder press, until today when I finally nailed 3 sets of 12.5kg (26.5lb) - I'm sooo happy!
  • suelegal
    Options

I agree! I prefer 5B though to 5A, but I'll take either over Stage 2/4 any day :laugh:

Cangirl - hope your pull is feeling better, mine is tight but not painful, so being very careful whilst trying to make sure I work it properly.

2nd A workout completed today - did the full 4 sets of 4 reps where required and even did the 3 planks at 120secs followed by the BWM! Really took my time and warmed up fully. Was able to up the weights some although I'm still perhaps a little over cautious. I'm finding the adjustable dumbbells I have at home quite restrictive, particularly for the overhead squat as they're awkward due to their physical size. Wish I could afford a full hex set, but I'll make do :smile:

Was stuck for ages at 10kg each hand the DB incline shoulder press, until today when I finally nailed 3 sets of 12.5kg (26.5lb) - I'm sooo happy!

Woohoo! That's so awesome! I am stuck right about there myself! I can push 25# but man, that next step up - 27.5 bleh I just can't do it.

I worked with the trainer today, I knew I wouldn't have time to do the full 5A workout so he had me work on chest, shoulders and back primarily. But I did SLDLs and have a new PR! 120! He says it's even better because I held 60# DBs and that's more difficult to control. I have to say that in just the past couple of weeks I notice how much stronger I am, and that my body seems to be changing too! I have hip bones again. I've only lost maybe 1.5 lbs recently, but I'm much stronger and really slamming form!

Oh and I have been doing assisted pullups and moved up/down another 15 lbs - trainer say 120 by summer time which means I'm pulling 2/3 of my weight I think?

Guess I willl take measurements after this stage.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow, 120# for the SLDL is amazing!! I never went past 40# because my grip isn't very strong, I should've pushed myself more though. You rock!

I finally finished this stage the other day, I just wasn't into it. I'm very excited to do stage 6 though, I plan on starting it tomorrow! I had a dream last night that I did 6 pull ups with ease so I have this false sense of confidence now going into the negative chin up move.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Sue - congrats on the PR - that's great! I haven't done a SLDL for some time so have no idea what I can lift, but I'm know it's nowhere near 120 lbs! Must feel great! You deserve to reap the rewards of all the effort you're putting in with the trainer :drinker:

Ihergenr - good luck in stage 6, let's hope your dream was a premonition!

I was supposed to work out today, but I didn't. Had a truly stressful day at work and then hubby rang me to say he didn't have a key to get in the house after being away all week on business, so could I pick him up from a pub in town. We ended up eating dinner in the pub and now I'm home I'm too tired and full of food to work out. I WILL work out tomorrow morning though!!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    So I managed my 2nd B workout on Friday morning (but skipped the HIIT) before heading out with friends Friday afternoon. Ended up in Hooters of all places, ate far too many wings and drank far too much beer. Needless to say I was not too clever on Saturday. Won't be doing that again in a hurry!!!

Back on track today though for 3rd A workout. Upped weights on the A & B exercises, but I couldn't for the life of me get the DB's up to the start position for my 3rd set of 12.5kg on the DB incline bench press. Had to drop back to 10 which was a little frustrating. Still, at least Spring has finally arrived so had a much warmer workout today lol